PDA

View Full Version : Obama discusses 10th Mtn Division's CMOH winner with them... and gets it wrong

Little-Acorn
06-23-2011, 07:07 PM
Barack Obama talked to the 10th Mountain Division at Ft. Drum today, and mentioned one of their number who had earned the Congressional Medal of Honor:

“First time I saw 10th Mountain Division, you guys were in southern Iraq. When I went back to visit Afghanistan, you guys were the first ones there. I had the great honor of seeing some of you because a comrade of yours, Jared Monti, was the first person who I was able to award the Medal of Honor to who actually came back and wasn’t receiving it posthumously.”

Just one problem.

The first living recipient of the Medal of Honor in modern times, was SSgt. Salvatore Giunta of the 173rd Airborne. He also earned it for his actions in Afghanistan, on Oct. 25, 2007. Obama presented him with the Medal on Nov. 16, 2010.

SSgt. Jared Monti was killed in action in Afghanistan on June 21, 2006, fighting with the 10th Mountain Division, and received the Medal posthumously on Sept 17, 2009. Obama used the event in a speech six months later to troops in Afghanistan.

Oh well, I guess these guys aren't worth the effort to keep their names straight and remember which was which. They're just grunts.

In case you were wondering how much respect Obama and those around him really have for our troops, now you know.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/dailycaller/20110623/pl_dailycaller/obamaflubsonmedalofhonorrecipient

06-23-2011, 10:20 PM
Really bad gaffe there.

Not super important in the long run though.

Gunny
06-24-2011, 05:59 AM
Really bad gaffe there.

Hmmm ...

Kathianne
06-24-2011, 10:43 AM
Really bad gaffe there.

I don't think that would be you're response if you were part of their family or serving with them. I think you'd find the hypocrisy and exploitation of your loved one's sacrifice revolting:

President Obama's Terrible Mistake
Posted By Blackfive • [June 23, 2011]

http://www.blackfive.net/main/2011/06/president-obamas-terrible-mistake.html

From a Blackfive reader "T":

The President addressing the 10th Mountain Division today at Fort Drum:

"First time I saw 10th Mountain Division, you guys were in southern Iraq. When I went back to visit Afghanistan, you guys were the first ones there. I had the great honor of seeing some of you because a comrade of yours, Jared Monti, was the first person who I was able to award the Medal of Honor to who actually came back and wasn’t receiving it posthumously."

As we all know, SSG Sal Giunta, of the 173rd Airborne, was the first living recipient (2011) of the MOH who fought in Iraq/Afganistan. SFC Jared Monti, 10th Mountain Division, was KIA in Afghanistan in 2006. He was posthumously awarded the MOH by Obama in 2009.

How does the Commander-in-Chief mix these heroes up? He put that medal around Giunta's neck and he stood with Monti's parents as they grieved. These fallen heroes leave such a great legacy, and we should know all their names. The ironic part of the speech, and this comes after the announcement of the politically pressured drawdown of troops in Afghanistan, was Obama's closing remark, "Know that your Commander-in-Chief has your back."

It shouldn't take a teleprompter for the C-in-C to get it right.

Gaffer
06-24-2011, 10:50 AM
It will be remembered by all of them, while the one who said it probably is still ignorant of his own gaffe.

Shadow
06-24-2011, 07:26 PM
It will be remembered by all of them, while the one who said it probably is still ignorant of his own gaffe.

Obviously not important enough to make sure and get it right to begin with,so he probably doesn't even care that he got it wrong.

Little-Acorn
06-25-2011, 12:27 AM

Do you suppose Obama would mind it if, in the long run (like a year and a half from now, around early Nov. 2012, we couldn't remember which President got Osama bin Laden?

Kathianne
06-25-2011, 01:06 AM
Do you suppose Obama would mind it if, in the long run (like a year and a half from now, around early Nov. 2012, we couldn't remember which President got Osama bin Laden?

That would be fair. If Obama had had his way as Senator and as President, he wouldn't have been able to be 'the ONE' who got him.

Gaffer
06-25-2011, 12:15 PM
osama's dead, it's Bush's fault. :salute: