PDA

View Full Version : July 4, 1776: The original Revolution against the Elite ruling over the people

Little-Acorn
06-28-2011, 04:39 PM
Sowell hits another one out of the park. The American Revolution - symbolized by the signing of the Declaration of Independence on July 4, 1776 - was the most stirring revolution in the history of mankind. Because it was a revolution that not only threw off an oppressive government by elitists who wanted to rule over others against their will - it was a revolution that brought in a brand-new form of govenment that had never been tried before. A government based on the idea that the regular people of the country, could make as good decisions (or better) than the elite rulers could, for their own welfare and prosperity.

And once it got started, the country spawned in that revolution rocketed from a few miserable colonies, to the greatest, most prosperous country the world has ever known, in a relatively short 200 years.

A form of government that no one had ever seen before, was followed by an incredible increase in prosperity and freedom that no one had ever seen before.

These two occurrances are not unrelated.

Now we have agents trying their best to return our government back to the ruling-elite method of old, where a small group of self-anointed superiors put into place laws designed to "help" us against the will of the people... and we are seeing our prosperity and freedom starting to diminish.

And likewise, these two latter occurrances are not unrelated.

Now with the turn of the new millenium, we are engaged in a struggle to see if the free republic set up some 200 years ago, can keep its government-by-the-people nature, or will slide back into the dominance of an elite that rules the rest of us, as so many countries had during the Dark Ages. Or whether it will throw off the efforts of those elites and keep the heritage it claimed on July 4, 1776.

---------------------------------

http://townhall.com/columnists/thomassowell/2011/06/28/july_4th/page/full/

July 4th

by Thomas Sowell
6/28/2011

The Fourth of July may be just a holiday for fireworks to some people. But it was a momentous day for the history of this country and the history of the world.

Not only did July 4, 1776 mark American independence from England, it marked a radically different kind of government from the governments that prevailed around the world at the time -- and the kinds of governments that had prevailed for thousands of years before.

The American Revolution was not simply a rebellion against the King of England, it was a rebellion against being ruled by kings in general. That is why the opening salvo of the American Revolution was called "the shot heard round the world."

Rest at Link

gabosaurus
06-28-2011, 06:16 PM
The right-wing garbage refuse never ends. :rolleyes:

Little-Acorn
06-28-2011, 06:37 PM

If you see something your don't like, but can't refute any of it... vomit all over it. :cuckoo:

Looks like little gabby is back!

Missileman
06-28-2011, 07:14 PM

If you're looking for someone to run your life, send me all of your money and I'll set you up on an adequate allowance. Don't forget to submit requests for purchases in wrinting for my consideration. I'll also need a detailed list of all your possessions so I can figure out which ones you shouldn't have and those which might be endangering you and your family. I'll take extremely good care of you...promise!

logroller
06-28-2011, 09:08 PM
If you're looking for someone to run your life, send me all of your money and I'll set you up on an adequate allowance. Don't forget to submit requests for purchases in wrinting for my consideration. I'll also need a detailed list of all your possessions so I can figure out which ones you shouldn't have and those which might be endangering you and your family. I'll take extremely good care of you...promise!

You forgot about a promissory note for her children's and grandchildren's future earnings, you're gonna need those too; it's for their own good.

Missileman
06-28-2011, 09:43 PM
You forgot about a promissory note for her children's and grandchildren's future earnings, you're gonna need those too; it's for their own good.

I might have included that if I believed that Gabby was anything other than a typical liberal who was content to have the government intrude on and run everyone's life except their own.

CSM
06-29-2011, 05:47 AM
It is apparent that many libs (Gabby included, I guess) think the Supreme Law of the Land (aka the Constitution of the United States of America) is mere right wing propaganda and treat it as such.

The "elites" have been running this country for some time now and by their own admission, consider the common man intellectually inferior, ill informed and incapable of providing for their own welfare. Unfortunately, there are many residents of this nation (legal and illegal) who prove them right every day.

Such an elitist attitude is not restricted to the hallowed halls of government. It runs rampant throughout our society. Anyone who does not have a college degree is obviously not "smart" and depending where one attained that college degree determines how "smart" they are. Actors and actresses, because they are celebrities, voice opinions that carry more weight than the ordinary citizen. We make fun of the kid trying to earn a bit of money working at the local burger joint and idolize the kid who joins a gang and then writes songs about their criminal activity. Our elected officials scorn the members of our military because they are "too dumb to think for themselves" but hang on every word uttered by some talking head on the television. We look askance at the person stuggling to make ends meet by painting houses (especially if we happen to see him in his work clothes) but fawn over some bimbo dressed in ridiculous outfits. Our children's heroes are sports figures who make more money in ten years playing games than most others will make in a lifetime while the true heroes in our country are seldom even heard of, never mind compensated for their heroism.

The longer the citizens of this country allow the "elite" to control this nation, the further away we wil get from "all men are created equal". Of course, should the common man even begin to try to wrestle control from the elites, they will be crushed by any means necessary; those means ranging from public derision to physical erradication.

gabosaurus
06-29-2011, 10:37 AM
Any writer trying to compare the current state of the country to 1776 is merely earning a living while yanking your chain. More proof that is doesn't take much to arouse those desperate for a reason to be angry.

fj1200
06-29-2011, 10:44 AM
Any writer trying to compare the current state of the country to 1776 is merely earning a living while yanking your chain. More proof that is doesn't take much to arouse those desperate for a reason to be angry.

You pretty much miss the point don't you?

A constitution exists to create a framework for government -- and the Constitution of the United States tries to keep the government inside that framework.

It's not about comparing the state of the country to 1776 it's about keeping the power of government reigned in.

Nukeman
06-29-2011, 10:46 AM
Do you honestly not think that our "elected" officals feel they are some how better than the rest of us?? They show it in EVERYTHING they do. I'm not talking Dem or Rep, I'm talking almost all of them. the ralling cry of "its for the children", "its for the greater good", or "its for your safety" are just ways of saying that you and I are too stupid to make appropriate choices in our lives.. That my friend is pure elitism, to think that YOU are better and better equiped to decide anothers future.

Our country is spiraling out of control and I think you're smart enough to see it you just don't want to admitt it or it hasn't actually affected you. When it does I hope for your sake its not too late!!

logroller
06-29-2011, 11:00 AM

That was made abundantly clear in post#2.

logroller
06-29-2011, 11:04 AM
Do you honestly not think that our "elected" officals feel they are some how better than the rest of us?? They show it in EVERYTHING they do.
Totally agree with your post, but why did you put "elected" in quotes, are you inferring they weren't really elected?

Gaffer
06-29-2011, 11:14 AM
Totally agree with your post, but why did you put "elected" in quotes, are you inferring they weren't really elected?

Just because they were "elected" doesn't mean they didn't use fraud to get that "election". Plus there are many appointed elites in govt. They have new titles, but they are the equivalent of lords, ladies, barons, counts, etc. The kings court. The only thing missing is bloodline, but give them time.

Nukeman
06-29-2011, 01:56 PM
Because not every official is elected, not to mention the wasy districts are drawn to ALWAYS have a certain outcome. Or do you think every elected offical got there by honest means??

So I guess I'm saying that No, not every "elected" offical is fairly elected!!

Little-Acorn
06-30-2011, 12:08 PM
If little gabby didn't earnestly miss every fact that comes her way, she wouldn't be able to push her agenda at all.

That would be terrible, wouldn't it. :clap:

It's not about comparing the state of the country to 1776 it's about keeping the power of government reigned in.

Especially that one.

LuvRPgrl
07-02-2011, 03:09 PM
If little gabby didn't earnestly miss every fact that comes her way, she wouldn't be able to push her agenda at all.

That would be terrible, wouldn't it. :clap:

Especially that one.

Well, U cant blame her, after all, she is part of that elite group, she does derive her paycheck from the guberment.

Gunny
07-03-2011, 07:17 AM
Sowell hits another one out of the park. The American Revolution - symbolized by the signing of the Declaration of Independence on July 4, 1776 - was the most stirring revolution in the history of mankind. Because it was a revolution that not only threw off an oppressive government by elitists who wanted to rule over others against their will - it was a revolution that brought in a brand-new form of govenment that had never been tried before. A government based on the idea that the regular people of the country, could make as good decisions (or better) than the elite rulers could, for their own welfare and prosperity.

And once it got started, the country spawned in that revolution rocketed from a few miserable colonies, to the greatest, most prosperous country the world has ever known, in a relatively short 200 years.

A form of government that no one had ever seen before, was followed by an incredible increase in prosperity and freedom that no one had ever seen before.

These two occurrances are not unrelated.

Now we have agents trying their best to return our government back to the ruling-elite method of old, where a small group of self-anointed superiors put into place laws designed to "help" us against the will of the people... and we are seeing our prosperity and freedom starting to diminish.

And likewise, these two latter occurrances are not unrelated.

Now with the turn of the new millenium, we are engaged in a struggle to see if the free republic set up some 200 years ago, can keep its government-by-the-people nature, or will slide back into the dominance of an elite that rules the rest of us, as so many countries had during the Dark Ages. Or whether it will throw off the efforts of those elites and keep the heritage it claimed on July 4, 1776.

---------------------------------

http://townhall.com/columnists/thomassowell/2011/06/28/july_4th/page/full/

July 4th

by Thomas Sowell
6/28/2011

The Fourth of July may be just a holiday for fireworks to some people. But it was a momentous day for the history of this country and the history of the world.

Not only did July 4, 1776 mark American independence from England, it marked a radically different kind of government from the governments that prevailed around the world at the time -- and the kinds of governments that had prevailed for thousands of years before.

The American Revolution was not simply a rebellion against the King of England, it was a rebellion against being ruled by kings in general. That is why the opening salvo of the American Revolution was called "the shot heard round the world."

Rest at Link

You mean the war begun by Colonial elites and fought by dirt-farmer colonists so the former did not have to pay taxes to our then King?

Little-Acorn
07-03-2011, 10:53 AM
You mean the war begun by Colonial elites and fought by dirt-farmer colonists so the former did not have to pay taxes to our then King?

You mean the farmers shot down at Concord and Lexington MA were "elites"?

The people killed during the Boston Massacre were "elites"?

The people who got troops quartered at their houses throughout New England without their permission, were "elites"?

BTW, where do you think your so-called "elites" got the money to pay those taxes? By raising their prices to their customers, of course, same as any company does when charged taxes. So remind me again whose taxes the dirt farmers were really fighting to not pay?

You managed to cram so many contradictions and diversions into your one-line answer, that I stand in awe.

red states rule
07-05-2011, 03:21 AM

Gabby's version of July 4, 1776

http://thepeoplescube.com/images/Founding_Fathers.gif

red states rule
07-05-2011, 03:22 AM

http://thepeoplescube.com/images/TeaParty_Teabaggers.gif

Gunny
07-05-2011, 08:58 AM
You mean the farmers shot down at Concord and Lexington MA were "elites"?

The people killed during the Boston Massacre were "elites"?

The people who got troops quartered at their houses throughout New England without their permission, were "elites"?

BTW, where do you think your so-called "elites" got the money to pay those taxes? By raising their prices to their customers, of course, same as any company does when charged taxes. So remind me again whose taxes the dirt farmers were really fighting to not pay?

You managed to cram so many contradictions and diversions into your one-line answer, that I stand in awe.

Re-read my post. Apparently you missed it first time around. What contradiction?

That I pointed out the Colonial elitists committed treason against the King of England by sending a bunch of dirt farmers off to fight their war against taxation?

There's no contradiction there. The contradiction is there is supposed to be a difference between England and us, right? I believe the big whine of the day was taxation without representation.

Bet you think we're represented now, too, right? Like when two superdelegates voted AGAINST there constituencies which resulted in handing the Democratic primary to Obama instead of the Hillary, the legit winner?

Seems to me you might want to educated yourself on the topic before going after me, junior.