PDA

View Full Version : The World's 5 Worst Places For Women -- And How U.S. Policy Helped Make Them That Way

J.T
07-01-2011, 01:18 PM
Since the invasion of Afghanistan, the human rights situation has in many ways actually deteriorated (http://www.trust.org/trustlaw/news/qa-womens-rights-in-afghanistan-since-the-fall-of-the-taliban) amid constant war, a weak and corrupt puppet government, and the ascendance of reactionary forces aligned with warlords and the Taliban (http://www.rawa.org/rawa/2009/05/13/the-warlord-mafia-regime-of-karzai-would-not-be-uncontaminated-with-criminal-fahim-flushed-down-the-toilet.html). The collapse of accountability falls hard on women, as the breakdown of the education, health care and legal systems further degrade women's access to justice and social opportunity. And so, while the “liberation” of Afghan women has been held up as a chief goal of Western military intervention, following the Taliban's decline, the U.S. occupation has ushered in another wave of oppression (http://www.genderacrossborders.com/2010/12/10/afghan-women%E2%80%99s-rights-under-us-military-occupation/).
Both Washington and Kabul have exposed the bankruptcy of promises of gender equity by ignoring and abetting the systematic abuse of women (http://www.fpif.org/articles/a_call_for_clarity_on_the_afghanistan_war). It is appalling that young girls are attacked for attending school, but it's unconscionable for Western powers to wield the tragedy as a cudgel to defend imperial warfare.
Washington's military aid to Pakistan has been fueled by a similar approach toward “stabilizing” the region through war and “counter-terrorism.” Raining bombs on Pakistan won't relieve the country's deep poverty, now exacerbated by last year's catastrophic flooding (http://www.globalpovertyproject.com/blog/view/211). Nor do the Pentagon's drone attacks (http://www.channel4.com/news/drone-attacks-in-pakistan-are-next-guantanamo) win hearts and minds when they kill and injure civilian families and stoke even more local resentment.
http://www.alternet.org/world/151473/the_world%27s_5_worst_places_for_women_--_and_how_u.s._policy_helped_make_them_that_way

Gaffer
07-01-2011, 02:10 PM
Another article condemning the US. Imagine that. It's not even well researched. The writer probably wrote it in his air conditioned cubical off the top of his head.

Afghan
Congo
Somalia
India
Pakistan

What do they all have in common? Third world countries with large islamic populations and/or extreme ignorance and lack of education. The list could be expanded considerably with just the middle east countries. And then even more with africa as a whole.

And it's all the fault of the US. Oh, and Israel.

Thunderknuckles
07-01-2011, 02:20 PM
Let me fix the title of that article:

The Worlds 5 Worst Places For Women -- And How U.S. Policy Failed To Make it Better.

--all of those places were hell holes for women before the U.S. even came into existence. But hey, never turn away from an opportunity to blame the U.S.

Wind Song
07-20-2011, 08:17 PM
http://www.alternet.org/world/151473/the_world%27s_5_worst_places_for_women_--_and_how_u.s._policy_helped_make_them_that_way

Thanks for the link. Interesting article.

"It is clear that Afghan women’s rights are not a determining consideration on the table in US military and political decision-making. In April 2009, the AP reported a statement by Obama that indicated that “while improving conditions in Afghanistan is a commendable goal, people need to remember that the primary reason that U.S. troops are fighting there is to protect Americans from terrorist attacks.”

Furthermore, US military presence has not prevented massive human rights violations against women living under occupation."

The Chief Justice of the Afghan Supreme Court is reported to have said that “women have two equal rights under the constitution; number one every woman has the right to obey her husband and two every woman has the right to pray, though not in the mosque, which is reserved to men.”

http://www.genderacrossborders.com/2010/12/10/afghan-women%E2%80%99s-rights-under-us-military-occupation/

gabosaurus
07-20-2011, 11:16 PM
--all of those places were hell holes for women before the U.S. even came into existence. But hey, never turn away from an opportunity to blame the U.S.

Most third world countries are hell holes for everyone except the ruling factions. I doubt the U.S. has anything to do with it.

Wind Song
07-21-2011, 10:01 AM
If you think occupation has no impact on nations you'd be wrong.

Thunderknuckles
07-21-2011, 12:51 PM
Occupation certainly would have an impact but remember that the title of the original article states that it was U.S. policy that made these nations the hell holes they are. That's plainly false and why I stated it was U.S. policy that failed to make it better - occupation would fall under that.

Wind Song
07-21-2011, 01:10 PM
The situation for Afghan people has worsened with American occupation.

BoogyMan
07-21-2011, 01:33 PM

The situation for women in these predominantly Islamic nations was great before, right? Liberal self loathing will never be a working stand-in for actual thought.

Gaffer
07-21-2011, 01:46 PM

You are wrong. Firstly it's a NATO occupation, not an American one. Secondly, the situation has changed. The taliban don't rule and kill people arbitrarily as they did before. They now sneak in and blow people up or use children and ignorant followers to do it. There is a bit more freedom for the people and less religious persecution. It will never be free and prosperous as long as it remains in the grip of islam. The taliban are afghan, al queada are arabs. Ideologically they are the same. Afghan has been living in the 7th century for 1400 years. You can't change it in 10 or 20 years.

Wind Song
07-21-2011, 01:48 PM
The situation for women in these predominantly Islamic nations was great before, right? Liberal self loathing will never be a working stand-in for actual thought.

You're putting words in my mouth. I didn't say the situation for women in Afghanistan was great before the American occupation. I said the situation for Afghans is worse since the occupation.

That has nothing to do with "liberal self loathing" nor is it a "stand in for actual thought".

The term "liberal self-loathing" is a form of trolling.

fj1200
07-22-2011, 06:04 AM
The term "liberal self-loathing" is a form of trolling.
So is...

Wind Song
07-22-2011, 10:20 AM
It is not trolling to state my opinion that the American occupation in Afghanistan has worsened life for the Afghan people. That's completely different from labelling someone a "self-loathing liberal". I see that you cannot tell the difference.

Abbey Marie
07-22-2011, 10:21 AM
Another article condemning the US. Imagine that. It's not even well researched. The writer probably wrote it in his air conditioned cubical off the top of his head.

Afghan
Congo
Somalia
India
Pakistan

What do they all have in common? Third world countries with large islamic populations and/or extreme ignorance and lack of education. The list could be expanded considerably with just the middle east countries. And then even more with africa as a whole.

And it's all the fault of the US. Oh, and Israel.

Slam meets Dunk. :clap:

Oh, and don't forget to blame Jesus/Hitler.

Wind Song
07-22-2011, 10:27 AM
Are you one of those Americans unwilling to look at mistakes the US has made? Why is that? "MY COUNTRY RIGHT OR WRONG?"

Kathianne
07-22-2011, 10:40 AM
Are you one of those Americans unwilling to look at mistakes the US has made? Why is that? "MY COUNTRY RIGHT OR WRONG?"

I'm not, but wonder if you are one that believes America can't do anything right, because of mistakes in the past? Funny how no other country does that to themselves to the extent of USA, yet even the self-flagellation isn't enough for so many.

fj1200
07-22-2011, 10:43 AM
It is not trolling to state my opinion that the American occupation in Afghanistan has worsened life for the Afghan people. That's completely different from labelling someone a "self-loathing liberal". I see that you cannot tell the difference.

It is self-loathing ;) trolling to offer useless opinions with zero rationale. There are many types of trolling, I see that you engage in many of them without knowing the difference.*

*That last bit, a type of trolling. :)

Gaffer
07-22-2011, 10:48 AM

In my case I look at the mistakes that were made and point them out so they are not repeated. Mistakes are always made, it's whether we learn from them that is important. It's MY COUNTRY, right or wrong is determined over time and when it's wrong we change it and make sure it doesn't happen again.

fj1200
07-22-2011, 10:54 AM

Hardly any here are. We constantly review mistakes the US has made, Social Security, Medicare/Medicaid, the War on Poverty​...

Wind Song
07-22-2011, 11:00 AM
It is self-loathing ;) trolling to offer useless opinions with zero rationale. There are many types of trolling, I see that you engage in many of them without knowing the difference.*

*That last bit, a type of trolling. :)

Every time I offer an opinion, I give the rationale for it. Using the term, "self-loathing liberal" is a form of trolling. The whole point is to bait a liberal.

fj1200
07-22-2011, 11:05 AM
Every time I offer an opinion, I give the rationale for it. Using the term, "self-loathing liberal" is a form of trolling. The whole point is to bait a liberal.

Not then. I didn't say it wasn't trolling.

Wind Song
07-22-2011, 11:10 AM
Not then. I didn't say it wasn't trolling.

Thank you for admitting that using the term, "self-loathing liberal" is a form of trolling.

Kathianne
07-22-2011, 11:13 AM
Thank you for admitting that using the term, "self-loathing liberal" is a form of trolling.

Not always, sometimes it's just an observation of what has been written prior.

Wind Song
07-22-2011, 11:18 AM
Not always, sometimes it's just an observation of what has been written prior.

Observation and interpretation are different than judgment, opinion.

fj1200
07-22-2011, 11:38 AM

Meh, I didn't use the term, the user may admit to trolling if they like.