PDA

View Full Version : Men and Their Fireworks: Exploring the Joy of Explosives

Shadow
07-04-2011, 11:35 AM
"Ka-boom is a bigger-than-life spectacle. To a certain degree, we're all enamored with it. Boys are just more overt about it."

This is Dick Wechsler's take on the joy of explosives and the timeless—and often ageless—allure that comes with them. Wechsler, 58, owns an ad agency in Westchester County, N.Y., and as the father of four boys, he's no stranger to the male fascination with things that go boom.

Fireworks have long been a hallmark of the Fourth of July and even though people of all genders and ages attend the displays and participate in the backyard launches, there is a uniquely male affection for blowing things up.

Conversations with men ranging from ages 16 to 60 suggest that it is an understatement, at the very least, to say that boys are more overt about their fascination.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/men-fireworks-joy-explosives/story?id=13980942

Kathianne
07-04-2011, 11:41 PM
Oh I think the above is so true! While most women and even girls I know, love to watch fireworks, they don't have a passion or burning interest in buying and setting them off themselves. ;) Now I can't say I know of a guy since I was about 12 who didn't beg, borrow, or steal to get their hands on 'real fireworks' which in IL in my lifetime have been illegal.

My sons have driven to IN since the oldest got his license to buy 'real fireworks'. They spent considerable money on them, reminding me of my daughter and her friends talking about make-up and hair decorations, how 'buying more' meant 'saving more.' :laugh2:

Shadow
07-05-2011, 07:49 AM
Most girls seem to like the sparklers,poppers, smoke balls (the low danger items). The boys? Bottle rockets,firecrackers,mortars etc....the items that can mame you LOL. I still remember jumping walls chasing down stray bottle rockets and mortars that went into the neighbors yard when my cousins use to shoot them off when we were kids. Well...that and dodging them when they flew at your head because the bottle they were being launched from fell over...good times! I think a lot of them were bought on the indian reservations here in NM...because I know most of the stuff they ended up with was illegal too.

Gunny
07-05-2011, 09:10 AM
"Ka-boom is a bigger-than-life spectacle. To a certain degree, we're all enamored with it. Boys are just more overt about it."

This is Dick Wechsler's take on the joy of explosives and the timeless—and often ageless—allure that comes with them. Wechsler, 58, owns an ad agency in Westchester County, N.Y., and as the father of four boys, he's no stranger to the male fascination with things that go boom.

Fireworks have long been a hallmark of the Fourth of July and even though people of all genders and ages attend the displays and participate in the backyard launches, there is a uniquely male affection for blowing things up.

Conversations with men ranging from ages 16 to 60 suggest that it is an understatement, at the very least, to say that boys are more overt about their fascination.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/men-fireworks-joy-explosives/story?id=13980942

I suppose you have a point here somewhere?:no:

:laugh:

Abbey Marie
07-05-2011, 04:01 PM
Men are used to enjoying themselves when things build up to a very quick and fun ending. ;)

darin
07-05-2011, 07:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEjz6dsSDL8

This is how we do it.

Shadow
07-05-2011, 08:35 PM
I suppose you have a point here somewhere?:no:

:laugh:

Just that men like things that go... BOOM. :laugh:

Men are used to enjoying themselves when things build up to a very quick and fun ending. ;)

Yep...instant gratification to relieve pent up frustrations. Freud did say...rockets = phallic symbols after all. :laugh2:

SassyLady
07-06-2011, 02:10 AM

Goodness .. it's been a long time since I laughed so hard. Thanks Abbey! :beer:

SassyLady
07-06-2011, 02:22 AM
Try being married to a soldier in the Combat Engineers .... talk about lighting fuses and watching things blow up. The first 15 years of our marriage we spent the week selling fireworks for the Family Readiness Support Group. We always had 10 sets of everything!