PDA

View Full Version : Why you should love germs

Shadow
07-04-2011, 11:42 AM
(Parenting.com) -- It's understandable that parents want to keep their children's environments clean, especially when kids are young. Moms wash bottles in hot water, clean pacifiers that fall on the ground and take dirty things out of their kids' mouths.

But overall, when it comes to germs, most people have it backward: With relatively few exceptions, they are good for our kids.

Keeping things clean is smart, but going crazy using antibacterial hand soaps, buying antibacterial kids' toys and other products and overusing antibiotic medications is actually killing off the microbes that can help strengthen the immune system.

Antibacterial products may help to reduce some infections, but they also promote the growth of drug-resistant organisms and weaken the good bacteria within us. Rather than focus on killing germs, we need to think about how to encourage their growth.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/family/07/04/love.germs.parenting/index.html?hpt=hp_bn6

Gaffer
07-04-2011, 08:12 PM
I've thought that for a very long time. It's a matter of whatever doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.

Kathianne
07-04-2011, 11:27 PM
I've thought that for a very long time. It's a matter of whatever doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.

You and I both. My home was always clean, floors washed, carpets vacuumed; with that said, if something fell on the floor and the munchkins picked it up and ate it, no harm. Now if they were in a restaurant-no way! LOL!

Like seat belts, washing hands before eating and after using the toilet were mandatory. Hand sanitizers? No way. Once I was teaching I did use them in school, with scads of kids coughing, sneezing, and sniffling, then handing in their papers, no way I could keep from getting sick without it. I did not and do not use them at home.

I don't clean out my refrigerator by 'due dates,' but by appearance and smell. If I bought something yesterday that looks funky today, out it goes. If the milk says it should have been used 3 days ago, but still smells fine, I'll use it. I've yet to give food poisoning to anyone, including myself. ;)

Shadow
07-05-2011, 08:05 AM

Exactly...I also remember reading an article that said the anti bacterial hand sanitizers can be harmful also. They can give kids alcohol poisoning. That even the smallest amount licked from the hands can give them dizziness,headaches,stomachaches and slurred speech. Yes...lets poison our kids...trying to keep them free from germs. Good plan.

We didn't use any of that stuff when we were kids...and we played in the dirt,picked up loads of treasures found on the ground etc...we all survived just fine.