PDA

View Full Version : Movie Review: 'Larry Crowne'

Shadow
07-05-2011, 11:34 PM
Saw this movie this weekend...then read this movie review. I always think it's interesting to read these and realize that I did not view the movie at all in the same way as the people who write these pieces.

I saw this movie more in the light of how each of these characters effected each other and helped each other to move forward and sort of grow....with the ending left open for you to interpret what would come next. Apparently a lot of the reviewers saw it as "forced" and "contrived". Anyone else see this movie yet? Any opinions?

Movie Review: 'Larry Crowne'

This story of an ordinary guy's 'Pygmalion'-like midlife makeover may sound promising, but in Tom Hanks' hands, it's not. And Julia Roberts doesn't fare much better.

Julia Roberts and Tom Hanks in "Larry Crowne." (Bruce Talamon / Universal Pictures)July 01, 2011|By Kenneth Turan, Los Angeles Times Film Critic"Larry Crowne" is an inside-out movie, acceptable around the edges but hollow and shockingly unconvincing at its core. When that core is two of the biggest movie stars around — Tom Hanks and Julia Roberts — it's an especially dispiriting situation.

Hanks and Roberts topline this adult romantic comedy about supposedly real people, the kind of movie that would be welcome were it not doomed by its tone of hopelessly contrived Hollywood sincerity.

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/jul/01/entertainment/la-et-larry-crowne-20110701