PDA

View Full Version : Where's the Mojo?

Kathianne
07-06-2011, 08:06 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/california-youngster-running-congress-raises-420-000-first-185642515.html

California youngster running for Congress raises $420,000 in first round

By Chris Moody

If the elections were held today, Ricky Gill would be too young to serve in Congress, but the 24-year-old Republican running to represent California's 11th congressional district already raised nearly half a million dollars in preparation for Election Day 2012.

Gill will turn 25--the youngest age the Constitution allows for members of the House--before the election next year, and has raised $420,000 since announcing his candidacy in May, according to his campaign. If elected, Gill, who is still in law school at the University of California, Berkeley, would be the youngest member in the chamber.

"Just 44 days after announcing our candidacy on May 17th, this campaign will report to the Federal Election Commission that we raised over $420,000 in donations, all from individuals like you," Gill wrote in a letter to supporters. "Unlike other campaigns, we didn't take out any loans to inflate this figure, and we didn't receive any contributions from PACs."

Personally I think calling a 24 year old, never mind a 25 year old, a youngster is wrong. With that said, one couldn't tell this 'kid' is a Republican candidate. Interesting, no? Not a mention. I'm sort of perplexed. Did Yahoo really figure no one would look? Were they just being coy in giving a local story national attention?

http://www.rickygill.com/aboutricky.html

Ricky Gill is a native of San Joaquin County, born and raised in Lodi, California. The son of immigrant parents who are both accomplished physicians and farmers, Ricky and his family bear witness to the power of the American dream. From a young age, Ricky developed a strong sense of public service. As a high school student, he volunteered at St. Mary's Interfaith Community Services for the Homeless in Stockton, assisting in the provision of medical care for the indigent. He co-chaired the Greater Lodi Area Youth Commission, promoting career and educational opportunities for local youth.

In 2004, Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger named Ricky to the California State Board of Education, making him the youngest member of the administration and the sole representative of more than six million public school students. In this capacity, Ricky developed a keen appreciation for standards-based reform in public education and collaborated with colleague Donald Fisher to defend the California High School Exit Exam. He later delivered remarks regarding educational equity at the California Republican Party convention in San Diego. His work in public education continued in 2005 as an adviser to the California Secretary for Education charged with facilitating Governor Schwarzenegger's Initiative-to-Turn Around Failing Schools. Ricky also has served as a policy consultant for Educational Testing Service (ETS) in Princeton, NJ, where his research examined ways to boost higher education degree attainment.

After being named Tokay High School class valedictorian and earning the Frank H. and Eva B. Buck Scholarship for postgraduate study, Ricky headed east to attend Princeton University. As a college freshman, he championed the property rights of local farmers in a Lodi News-Sentinel op-ed article. Bringing his knowledge of educational issues to Capitol Hill, he spent the summer of 2006 working for former U.S. Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist (R-TN) and the Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions. The next summer, Ricky worked in the front office of the Sacramento Kings, helping assess talent in preparation for the annual NBA draft. An avid fan, Ricky previously contributed regularly to Sports 1140, the Kings' flagship radio station.

Ricky went on to graduate Phi Beta Kappa from Princeton University's Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs. He drew inspiration from his senior thesis adviser at Princeton, Professor Jim Leach, who had served 30 years as a Republican Congressman from Iowa and was for two terms Chairman of the U.S. House Committee on Financial Services. Ricky then returned home to continue his education at Boalt Hall, the law school at the University of California, Berkeley. In addition to his graduate studies, Ricky worked as a legal counselor for the Oakland Athletics in the summer of 2010, where he helped close litigation loopholes for the club. In addition, he began serving as a math and literacy mentor at KIPP Bay Area charter schools, bringing him to the front lines of the achievement gap in public education. Ricky now serves as a member of the Lodi Boys & Girls Club Board of Directors.

In March 2011, Ricky convened an exploratory committee to evaluate the possibility of running for Congress. In May 2011, he announced his candidacy as a Republican running in what is currently California's 11th Congressional District.

logroller
07-06-2011, 08:20 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/california-youngster-running-congress-raises-420-000-first-185642515.html

Personally I think calling a 24 year old, never mind a 25 year old, a youngster is wrong. With that said, one couldn't tell this 'kid' is a Republican candidate. Interesting, no? Not a mention. I'm sort of perplexed. Did Yahoo really figure no one would look? Were they just being coy in giving a local story national attention?

http://www.rickygill.com/aboutricky.html

When, not if,he launches a senatorial campaign; he'll have my support. Those old bats we have representing CA now have got to go, the sooner the better

gabosaurus
07-07-2011, 12:12 AM
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8hEYwk0bypY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Gaffer
07-07-2011, 10:31 AM
He's a republican, that's a good sign. Still to be seen if he's a rino. And then again his career choice is to be a professional politician. I think we have too many of those already. I see a young man aiming for the number one slot.

SassyLady
07-08-2011, 12:17 AM
I grew up in the Central Valley and the farming community needs a champion like this guy to counter the years of abuse by the liberal progressives like Boxer, Feinstein, Pelosi and others who destroyed the Central Valley.

LuvRPgrl
07-09-2011, 11:23 AM
He's a republican, that's a good sign. Still to be seen if he's a rino. And then again his career choice is to be a professional politician. I think we have too many owhf those already. I see a young man aiming for the number one slot.

He is a kid, a babe in the woods. It was only a few years ago he couldnt even legally drink.

'I agree with gafman, career politicians are bad news. I would like to see him get some more real life experience.

Not to mention, I wonder how he is going to handle failure once it comes. The world is full of people who are wonderfully succesful, but when they finally experience failure, it destroys them. We shall see.

logroller
07-11-2011, 01:05 PM
... The world is full of people who are wonderfully succesful, but when they finally experience failure, it destroys them. We shall see. COUGH Obama Cough