PDA

View Full Version : The Only Democracy in the Region...

J.T
07-12-2011, 09:37 PM
The flood of anti-democratic laws that were proposed, and partially implemented, by the current Knesset, elected in February 2009, constitute one of the darkest chapters in Israeli history. The opening salvo was provided by foreign minister Avigdor Lieberman's Yisrael Beitenu party with its Nakba law, that forbids the public commemoration of the expulsion of approximately 750000 Palestinians during the 1948 war.
Since then, a growing number of attempts were made to curtail freedom of expression and to make life for human rights groups more difficult. The latest instance is the boycott law (http://www.haaretz.com/news/national/israel-set-to-vote-on-controversial-law-penalizing-boycotters-1.372555) that was passed on Monday (http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/israel-passes-law-banning-calls-for-boycott-1.372711) by the Knesset, even though its legal advisor believes it to be a problematic infringement on freedom of speech (http://www.jpost.com/DiplomacyAndPolitics/Article.aspx?id=228843). This law makes any call for boycotting Israel economically, culturally or academically a civil offence that can be punished with a fine. Any public body making such a call will lose its legal status and will no longer be eligible for tax-deductible contributions.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/jul/12/israel-boycott-ban

Israel's Knesset Passes Boycott Prohibition Bill - by Stephen Lendman
Israeli outrages never quit. Besides lawlessly stealing Palestine, slaughtering and dispossessing its people, occupying its remaining 22% for over 44 years, blockading Gaza, committing high-seas piracy and murder to keep out humanitarian aid, and arresting European and other human rights advocates showing up to protest, another example highlights Israel's rogue state status.
On July 11, Haaretz writer Jonathan Lis headlined, "Israel set to vote on controversial law penalizing boycotters," saying:
Israel's "controversial 'Boycott Bill' is expected to come up for its second and third (Knesset) votes" today, despite Netanyahu earlier wanting it delayed, expected criticism from Knesset Legal Advisor Eyal Yinon, and opponents holding a protest press conference.
A same day Lis update headlined, "Israel passes law banning calls for boycott," saying:
Despite vocal opposition, the bill passed 47 - 38, criminalizing boycott supporters. Provisions include letting boycott targets sue "without having to prove they sustained damage. The court will then decide how much compensation" they're due. Another provision prohibits boycott supporters (people and companies) from "bid(ding) in government tenders."

http://www.freedomsphoenix.com/Article/093234-2011-07-12-israel-passes-boycott-prohibition-bill.htm

Dilloduck
07-12-2011, 09:42 PM
bigot

Gunny
07-26-2011, 06:35 AM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/jul/12/israel-boycott-ban

http://www.freedomsphoenix.com/Article/093234-2011-07-12-israel-passes-boycott-prohibition-bill.htm

What a bunch of crap. "Lawlessly stealing Palestine"? My how some like to rewrite history. Based on current belief, I can claim my race as "Texan", right? After all, Palestine was just another Arab state within the country of Transjordan. Oh, but then we wouldn't be able to heap onto portraying "Pali's" as victims if we just called them what they are -- Arabs.

Israel was a British mandate following WW I and given to the Jews under the Balfour Agreement in 1924. The Jews finally occupied the land in 1949. By the rules of the day (and NOT Monday-morning QB-ing), a completely legit move. Now we have a generation of Jew-haters simply because they aren't old enough nor educated enough to figure out WHO the REAL bad guys are here. A "nation" that as a people, freely voted to be represented by a known, international terrorist organization bent on genocide.

Does anyone REALLY think Hamas and/or Hezbollah want peace? Wake up. They'd be exposed for the worthless f*cks they are. They have made a business of war and couldn't hold real jobs if there was peace.

But let's continue to vilify Israel for simply wanting to be left alone, and when not, defending itself. Makes perfect sense ... in a retarded sort of way.

J.T
07-26-2011, 09:06 AM
But let's continue to vilify Israel for simply wanting to be left alone

The Jews (there is no such thing as an 'Israeli', their papers identify their nationality as Jew) want to be left alone? Is that why they continue to occupy and more lands and bulldoze people's homes and beat old women into submission as a part of Isaac Rabin's 'break the bones' strategy?

Gunny
07-26-2011, 10:39 AM
The Jews (there is no such thing as an 'Israeli', their papers identify their nationality as Jew) want to be left alone? Is that why they continue to occupy and more lands and bulldoze people's homes and beat old women into submission as a part of Isaac Rabin's 'break the bones' strategy?

You would be wrong. Israel is a sovereign nation; therefore, citizens of Israel are Israeli. The rest of your statement is just the usual, al Jazeera, pro Arab terrorist rhetoric. Don't hear much of Israeli's strapping bombs on their chests and pulling the cord at Arab wedding receptions. Or attacking school buses filled with children. Same can't be said the other way around.

You use your house to fire missiles indiscriminately at the general direction of my noncombatant occupied neighborhood, and I'm taking you out. One way or another. A bulldozer's as good a way as any.

abso
07-26-2011, 10:58 AM
You would be wrong. Israel is a sovereign nation; therefore, citizens of Israel are Israeli. The rest of your statement is just the usual, al Jazeera, pro Arab terrorist rhetoric. Don't hear much of Israeli's strapping bombs on their chests and pulling the cord at Arab wedding receptions. Or attacking school buses filled with children. Same can't be said the other way around.

You use your house to fire missiles indiscriminately at the general direction of my noncombatant occupied neighborhood, and I'm taking you out. One way or another. A bulldozer's as good a way as any.

is this a democracy ?

This law makes any call for boycotting Israel economically, culturally or academically a civil offence that can be punished with a fine. Any public body making such a call will lose its legal status and will no longer be eligible for tax-deductible contributions.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Gaffer
07-26-2011, 11:08 AM
is this a democracy ?

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

:link:

This is obviously taken out of context.

J.T
07-26-2011, 11:13 AM
You would be wrong. Israel is a sovereign nation; therefore, citizens of Israel are Israeli.
wrong, as usual.

A group of Jews and Arabs are fighting in the Israeli courts to be recognized as “Israelis,” a nationality currently denied them, in a case that officials fear may threaten the country’s self-declared status as a Jewish state. Israel refused to recognize an Israeli nationality at the country’s establishment in 1948, making an unusual distinction between “citizenship” and “nationality.” Although all Israelis qualify as “citizens of Israel,” the state is defined as belonging to the “Jewish nation,” meaning not only the 5.6 million Israeli Jews but also more than seven million Jews in the diaspora. Critics say the special status of Jewish nationality has been a way to undermine the citizenship rights of non-Jews in Israel, especially the fifth of the population who are Arab. Some 30 laws in Israel specifically privilege Jews, including in the areas of immigration rights, naturalization, access to land and employment. Arab leaders have also long complained that indications of “Arab” nationality on ID cards make it easy for police and government officials to target Arab citizens for harsher treatment.

...denying a common Israeli nationality was the linchpin of state-sanctioned discrimination against the Arab population.
“There are even two laws — the Law of Return for Jews and the Citizenship Law for Arabs — that determine how you belong to the state,” he said. “What kind of democracy divides its citizens into two kinds?” Yoel Harshefi, a lawyer supporting Ornan, said the interior ministry had resorted to creating national groups with no legal recognition outside Israel, such as “Arab” or “unknown,” to avoid recognizing an Israeli nationality. In official documents most Israelis are classified as “Jewish” or “Arab,” but immigrants whose status as Jews is questioned by the Israeli rabbinate, including more than 300,000 arrivals from the former Soviet Union, are typically registered according to their country of origin.
http://electronicintifada.net/content/lawsuit-challenges-israels-discriminatory-citizenship-definition/8767

Do you ever know what you're talking about? The rest of your post is just more ignorant, anti-arab, NAZIonist bullshit.

Gaffer
07-26-2011, 12:53 PM
wrong, as usual.

Do you ever know what you're talking about? The rest of your post is just more ignorant, anti-arab, NAZIonist bullshit.

And you never post anti-Semitic, anti-Israeli and nazi bullshit. Got it.

kywul
01-05-2012, 10:02 PM
Funny how the rate of democracy's deterioration seems to be accelerating in the United States at the same time as in Israel. The world is on the brink of some major changes.

Gunny
01-05-2012, 10:34 PM
Funny how the rate of democracy's deterioration seems to be accelerating in the United States at the same time as in Israel. The world is on the brink of some major changes.

Hope all the "real men" like you have weapons.

ConHog
01-05-2012, 10:46 PM
Hope all the "real men" like you have weapons.

I have enough for a light company. :laugh:

Gunny
01-06-2012, 06:12 AM
I have enough for a light company. :laugh:

I've got just enough to "acquire" plenty more.

ConHog
01-15-2012, 09:43 PM
I've got just enough to "acquire" plenty more.

do you cast your own bullets?

red state
06-15-2012, 11:56 AM
:kittyluv: I hate to break this up but....The topic is [The Only Democracy in the Region]

Not good when you have to :eatwords: Isn't it? I hope it isn't an intentional de-railing of a thread.

:no:

Good posts Below:

kywul: Funny how the rate of democracy's deterioration seems to be accelerating in the United States at the same time as in Israel. The world is on the brink of some major changes.

Gunny: What a bunch of crap. "Lawlessly stealing Palestine"? My how some like to rewrite history. Based on current belief, I can claim my race as "Texan", right? After all, Palestine was just another Arab state within the country of Trans-jordan. Oh, but then we wouldn't be able to heap onto portraying "Pali's" as victims if we just called them what they are -- Arabs.
__________________________________________________ ___________________________________________

Now, getting back on topic and to address the $#!T spewed by the author of this topic; How do you justify the bombings AFTER the Jews/Israel gave land back to the folk calling themselves Palestine? Can you inform me as to when Palestinians GAVE anything to the Jews/Israeli's (other than a hard time)? Don't you know that Israel was a nation THOUSANDS of years ago, conquered several times and now (recently) re-established?! They should have told BUSH to "stick it" and the Israeli's should tell B.O. the same thing. I'd like to see them do that anyway so that we can STOP all funding of non-Americans with OUR tax dollars. Israel (IS) their own Nation and they are slipping but they were Never a REPUBLIC and they certainly face deadlier threats than we do with our neighbors.

Incidentally...and without de-railing this thread, I also load my own ammo and have enough to give any unlawful/unconstitutional gov/group some unwanted trouble....or at least "inconveniences". HA!!!

jimnyc
06-15-2012, 12:13 PM
:kittyluv: I hate to break this up but

This thread is from last year, and the last posts were from 4 months ago. I don't think you're breaking much up!

kowalskil
06-23-2012, 09:05 PM

Does anyone REALLY think Hamas and/or Hezbollah want peace? Wake up. They'd be exposed for the worthless f*cks they are. They have made a business of war and couldn't hold real jobs if there was peace.

But let's continue to vilify Israel for simply wanting to be left alone, and when not, defending itself. Makes perfect sense ... in a retarded sort of way.

H and H do not want peace with Israel. They do not even claim that they want this.

(self promotion / links removed by staff)

Gaffer
06-23-2012, 10:08 PM
150 rockets fired at Israel in the past month from gaza. hamas peace initiatives. But the media isn't mentioning it. Of course if Israel strikes the launching sites you will hear lots of screaming about the innocents killed.