PDA

View Full Version : Could your child fend off a kidnapping or rape attempt?

gabosaurus
07-14-2011, 10:50 PM
The plight of Jaycee Duggard (held captive for almost two decades) and the abduction and killing of a NYC boy made me think of how many children are kidnapped, assaulted, raped and/or murdered every year.
It also made me wonder how DP members with kids have prepared them for such an instance.

Kids, through their nature, are very trusting. Many are taught to respect and obey adults. Even the ones that mean them harm.
If someone stops your kid and threatens them with a gun or knife, how will they react? How about if an attacker grabs them from behind? Or tries to force them into a vehicle?

My daughter has taken a couple of street defense classes, the same type that my sister and I took when we were younger. She can take down an adult. Even one with a weapon.
How is your kid prepared?

Dilloduck
07-14-2011, 10:59 PM
nonsense--

gabosaurus
07-14-2011, 11:04 PM
Colorado? Why in heck are you in Colorado? What nonsense... :p

CSM
07-15-2011, 06:35 AM
All my kids are depending on the EWE ESS GUMMINT to protect them. If the gummint cain't do it, then the EWE NIGHTED NATIONS will. If worse comes to worst, they will pass more laws making such things illegal.

Gunny
07-15-2011, 07:05 AM
The plight of Jaycee Duggard (held captive for almost two decades) and the abduction and killing of a NYC boy made me think of how many children are kidnapped, assaulted, raped and/or murdered every year.
It also made me wonder how DP members with kids have prepared them for such an instance.

Kids, through their nature, are very trusting. Many are taught to respect and obey adults. Even the ones that mean them harm.
If someone stops your kid and threatens them with a gun or knife, how will they react? How about if an attacker grabs them from behind? Or tries to force them into a vehicle?

My daughter has taken a couple of street defense classes, the same type that my sister and I took when we were younger. She can take down an adult. Even one with a weapon.

BS.

My daughters took a martial arts/self defense course for awhile; which, being American, focused more on money than anything else. No matter how well you excelled, you only went through each belt in as specified time so the school could collect its money.

Point is, the 11 years old black belt got slammed on his ass by the adults every time. He knew his stuff, no doubt. But size DOES matter, regardless what you wish to delude yourself into thinking.

For traditional martial artists such as myself, it's an age-old argument -- giving children black belts and/or making them believe they can actually not only fend off but defeat an adult.

In addition, teaching kids to be respectful of adults is NOT teaching them to trust them.

Being aware of their surroundings and running and yelling would give them a FAR better chance to evade an attacker than making them believe so American Combat Karate BS mumbo jumbo is going to defeat someone twice their size with 3 times their strength.

CSM
07-15-2011, 07:23 AM
A kid facing an armed adult whose intention is to harm them is a far different situation than facing their instructor in a public place where the kid KNOWS the instructor would not dare to harm them. Real life bad guys could give a flying poo how much sporterized marital arts training you have. Yes, I said sporterized. There is a huge difference between what is taught (even "street defense" type training) and what you really face with an armed opponent in a dark alley.

gabosaurus
07-15-2011, 11:08 AM
A kid facing an armed adult whose intention is to harm them is a far different situation than facing their instructor in a public place where the kid KNOWS the instructor would not dare to harm them. Real life bad guys could give a flying poo how much sporterized marital arts training you have. Yes, I said sporterized. There is a huge difference between what is taught (even "street defense" type training) and what you really face with an armed opponent in a dark alley.

You are exactly correct. The difference is how you react. Which is why I never wasted my time with "sporterized" (a good word exactly) self defense.
The idea behind "street defense" is to not be afraid to hurt your attacker. Kids are taught soft spots and pressure points -- kneecaps, groin, sternum, lower spine, neck and eyes.
It's not for those who are polite and timid. You have to realize that your life is being threatened. You can't be afraid to bite, gouge, stab and do whatever you can do.

Point in question: A 12 year old girl was attacked by a 17 year old male who was a former football player and weight lifter. He grabbed the girl from behind and was trying to drag her into a car.
The girl responded by remembering to keep all parts of her body moving at all time. She managed to get an arm free and clawed at one of his eyes. Then bit him. After he dropped her, she kicked him in the groin and spine.
The attacker ended up partially paralyzed and without sight in one eye.

darin
07-15-2011, 02:26 PM
My kid is on the right track...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssEZoDVJakw

But of course everything about Gabby and even folks she claims will be better than everybody else.

Dilloduck
07-15-2011, 03:05 PM
Colorado? Why in heck are you in Colorado? What nonsense... :p

I'm taking care of little kids who thought they were really street tough and got their asses kicked. Most of the rehab is undoing the BS their parents taught em. Someone has to do it--even in places that are cold in the winter. I'm a true Christian martyr I tell ya.

gabosaurus
07-15-2011, 03:29 PM
My kid is on the right track...

That is wonderful if your daughter can walk around with a weapon. But what if she is walking home from school, or to a friend's house, or biking, and some guy grabs her and tries to throw her into a car? Does she know how to repel her attacker and escape?
If she doesn't, you will be searching for a missing child. Or planning a funeral. It's your choice.

Gunny
07-16-2011, 05:35 PM
You are exactly correct. The difference is how you react. Which is why I never wasted my time with "sporterized" (a good word exactly) self defense.
The idea behind "street defense" is to not be afraid to hurt your attacker. Kids are taught soft spots and pressure points -- kneecaps, groin, sternum, lower spine, neck and eyes.
It's not for those who are polite and timid. You have to realize that your life is being threatened. You can't be afraid to bite, gouge, stab and do whatever you can do.

Point in question: A 12 year old girl was attacked by a 17 year old male who was a former football player and weight lifter. He grabbed the girl from behind and was trying to drag her into a car.
The girl responded by remembering to keep all parts of her body moving at all time. She managed to get an arm free and clawed at one of his eyes. Then bit him. After he dropped her, she kicked him in the groin and spine.
The attacker ended up partially paralyzed and without sight in one eye.

And of course the exception to rather than the rule is how it usually ends. Right?

Nope. That girl got lucky and he obviously was a dolt.

LuLu
07-16-2011, 06:35 PM
If someone kidnapped my child they would return him within an hour. He is a three year old boy with a sensory perception disorder, which means he has a high pain tolerance.
All joking aside the thought scares the shit out of me, and he will learn what to do.

LuvRPgrl
07-16-2011, 07:35 PM
What does a grown up do when being raped by its government/liberals????

Gunny
07-17-2011, 08:05 AM
If someone kidnapped my child they would return him within an hour. He is a three year old boy with a sensory perception disorder, which means he has a high pain tolerance.
All joking aside the thought scares the shit out of me, and he will learn what to do.

Learning what to do is fine. It isn't as simple as teaching a child they can be the physical equal of an adult in a violent confrontation. As usual, gabby wants to take an exception to the rule and run with it.

And her exception doesn't even match the scenario of her reference. Jaycee Dugard was shot by a stun gun and dragged into a vehicle at her bus stop right in front of her father by two adult assailants.

I don't care who you are, not a whole lot you can do in that situation, and I'd say 50K volts is going to overcome ANY objections the average person, much less a child, might have to offer.

Shadow
07-17-2011, 03:06 PM
Learning what to do is fine. It isn't as simple as teaching a child they can be the physical equal of an adult in a violent confrontation. As usual, gabby wants to take an exception to the rule and run with it.

And her exception doesn't even match the scenario of her reference. Jaycee Dugard was shot by a stun gun and dragged into a vehicle at her bus stop right in front of her father by two adult assailants.

I don't care who you are, not a whole lot you can do in that situation, and I'd say 50K volts is going to overcome ANY objections the average person, much less a child, might have to offer.

I agree that it is not as simple as just teaching a child what to do. Kids don't really have a concept of something like what happened to Jaycee Dugard happening to them. Some teens/kids just have a POV that some situations (such as that one) happen to others...not themselves or someone they know. I found this out recently when an issue came up about breaking curfew and one of my kids was detained by the police. I was told this is very common and young kids tend to put themselves in bad situations because they live in the moment and don't think of the consequences outside of getting into trouble with parents...abducted or killed doesn't even register to a lot of kids. You could possibly give them self defensive skills,but that doesn't mean that they will over come a person intent on harming them in the heat of the moment type situation where the other person is more prepared.

gabosaurus
07-17-2011, 06:52 PM
Jaycee Dugard was shot by a stun gun and dragged into a vehicle at her bus stop right in front of her father by two adult assailants.

If someone wants to kill you, they will do it whatever precautions you tale. Same thing if you are dead set on abducting someone. I haven't read many instances of predators prowling around with stun guns, though.

I agree that it is not as simple as just teaching a child what to do. Kids don't really have a concept of something like what happened to Jaycee Dugard happening to them. Some teens/kids just have a POV that some situations (such as that one) happen to others...

This is the real truth. Too many kids see them as invincible and had a mindset that bad things only happen to others.
The idea of street defense is convincing kids that they could be in danger at all times. That they could be abducted and killed just as easy as anyone they see on the news.
Kids can learn things pretty easily. Especially if they are motivated to do such. The general idea is to be ready and not oblivious to the outside world.

I don't care if you are a battle trained Marine. If you are trying to grab a kid and she gouges your eye out, or kicks you in the groin or kneecap, you are going to be stunned. A girl with a sharpened ring or fingernails can do damage to anyone.
The entire concept is readiness. To train kids that they don't have to be victims.

Whether you take advantage is your decision. I want my daughter to have a fighting chance. Once your kid comes up missing, you might not get a second opportunity.

CSM
07-18-2011, 07:24 AM
If someone wants to kill you, they will do it whatever precautions you tale. Same thing if you are dead set on abducting someone. I haven't read many instances of predators prowling around with stun guns, though.

This is the real truth. Too many kids see them as invincible and had a mindset that bad things only happen to others.
The idea of street defense is convincing kids that they could be in danger at all times. That they could be abducted and killed just as easy as anyone they see on the news.
Kids can learn things pretty easily. Especially if they are motivated to do such. The general idea is to be ready and not oblivious to the outside world.

I don't care if you are a battle trained Marine. If you are trying to grab a kid and she gouges your eye out, or kicks you in the groin or kneecap, you are going to be stunned. A girl with a sharpened ring or fingernails can do damage to anyone.
The entire concept is readiness. To train kids that they don't have to be victims.

Whether you take advantage is your decision. I want my daughter to have a fighting chance. Once your kid comes up missing, you might not get a second opportunity.

If you think for one minute that your kid can take on a battle trained Marine, your kid has a serious problem already! Lets face it, if street defense training were THAT effective, all our Marines would receive that type of training and we could save a bundle of money on basic combat training.

I know that, as a parent we all want our kids to be safe, be aware, etc. and we want to give them every fighting chance we can give them. Unfortunately, reality has a way of intervening. There are bad people out there who are not only more than willing to do harm but they are more than capable of doing harm (despite the risk of death by long fingernails!). I am in agreement that one of the best things we can train kids is to not place themselves in situations that are higher risk, be aware of the people around them, etc.

gabosaurus
07-18-2011, 12:24 PM
If you think for one minute that your kid can take on a battle trained Marine, your kid has a serious problem already! Lets face it, if street defense training were THAT effective, all our Marines would receive that type of training and we could save a bundle of money on basic combat training.

If you are a male, you have soft spots. This type of training is not for combat. It is one-to-one, save your life training. It is self confidence and personal awareness.
It's not intended to destroy someone. You want your kid to have a chance to escape. Gouging someone's eyeball or kicking them in the groin gives you the few minutes of diversion needed to escape. Plus, if you scrape someone's face up, it is good for identification.
I don't care how big, muscular or well trained you are. If I kick you just below the kneecap, you are going down. If I am wearing heavy shoes and boot you in the balls, you are going down. If my fingernail scrapes your eyeball, you won't be bragging for a while.

Dilloduck
07-18-2011, 12:30 PM
Women don't have eyes anymore ? OMG

Jesus Christ, Gabby. Warn your kids and give em some tools but please don't give them the false impression that they can kick everyone's ass. For every attack there is a defense and a counter attack.

LuvRPgrl
07-18-2011, 03:59 PM
Wow! I had no idea there were so many women out there who could kick my ass.

On a serious note, Gabs, oh ball less one, you arent even asking the right question.

If you are a male, you have soft spots. This type of training is not for combat. It is one-to-one, save your life training. It is self confidence and personal awareness.
It's not intended to destroy someone. You want your kid to have a chance to escape. Gouging someone's eyeball or kicking them in the groin gives you the few minutes of diversion needed to escape. Plus, if you scrape someone's face up, it is good for identification.
I don't care how big, muscular or well trained you are. If I kick you just below the kneecap, you are going down. If I am wearing heavy shoes and boot you in the balls, you are going down. If my fingernail scrapes your eyeball, you won't be bragging for a while.

CSM
07-19-2011, 06:28 AM

Right. I guess your presumption is that the person being attacked is going to land all their defensive blows and the attacker will not or cannot block them nor can they land any of their offensive blows. That presumption is as idealistic as believing that if we are nice to our enemies they wont do us harm. Too bad reality belies that notion.

Gabby, you tell yourself whatever you have to so you can sleep at night. As for me, I'll sleep better knowing that the one 12 year old in the country who can kick my ass lives in CA.

Gunny
07-19-2011, 06:44 AM

You're delusional. THAT would be your biggest weakness. More often than not, a 12 years old using those kindergarten tactics would just enrage the attacker more. A 12 years old wouldn't have any more chance with me than you would.

I don't have a problem with teaching kids to be aware. It was one of the first things I mentioned, in fact. But to toss a fly in your patting yourself on the back crap .... both Jaycee Dugard and Elizabeth Smart survived by using their heads, not some schoolyard chop-socky tactic that more likely than not will fail.

LuvRPgrl
07-19-2011, 11:41 AM
You're delusional. THAT would be your biggest weakness. More often than not, a 12 years old using those kindergarten tactics would just enrage the attacker more. A 12 years old wouldn't have any more chance with me than you would.

I don't have a problem with teaching kids to be aware. It was one of the first things I mentioned, in fact. But to toss a fly in your patting yourself on the back crap .... both Jaycee Dugard and Elizabeth Smart survived by using their heads, not some schoolyard chop-socky tactic that more likely than not will fail.

The most important POV to this is sorely missing in this thread, although Gunny, above gets some of it.
By far and away, the best way to fend off an attacker is by not getting attacked in the first place.
Criminals prefer easy marks..If you don't put yourself in that posistion, chances are very high you will never be attacked.

,...But the bottom line is, every assualt is completely unique, and requires a miriad of responses to fend off. How big is the guy, is it a guy at all, where did it happen, what time is it, in a car or not. Its almost endless.
...........Not to mention, most abductions occur by someone the victim knows. I was absolutely stunned when I found out a particular person has been a lifelong pedophile. I knew that person as closely as I have ever known anyone.
But to think a teen could be safe just because they know martial arts is ludicrous at best. There are too many ways to get by that defense.
......Awareness, as stated above by The Gun Man, AWARENESS is by far and away, hands down, the best defense.
......Anyone who has studied or taken martial arts/defense training knows ONE TINY LITTLE IMPORTANT FACT that rarely gets mentioned. You can learn and practice all you want in class, but until you have some real life street experience, you don't know for sure how a person will react. SOME PANIC, SOME RUN, SOME FIGHT, BUTevery single time, every time, the initial reaction will be extremely emotional. How a person reacts to their own emotions is critical. Once you have been through at least a couple of street fights, you will have alot of confidence, (assuming you won)
..........A vast majority of people will naturally turn to grappling when in an unplanned physical fight. A gun, knife, whistle, martial arts, are all useless once you get into grappling. Everything else being equal, the larger person willl win every time in grappling.
.....One last thing. Unlike what they show in tv and the movies, when a person holds another hostage, like having their arm around the victims neck and pulling them along as a shield, there is only one thing the victim needs to do. GO LIMP. The perp cannot hold them up as a shield. In the case of an attempted abduction, you can actually fein passing out. Even if the perp decides to try and carry you, it will give you ample time to do something to get free......
....But that would be totally unexpected and usually the perp will panic and flee.
.........Go ahead and try it, have someone hold you in the classic tv hold, friends arm around you neck, dragging you, then go totally limp.

soupnazi630
07-19-2011, 05:05 PM

You HOPE she will be able to take down an adult even one with a weapon.

Taking a couple or even many self defense courses is a long way from being able to defend yourself.

This is not to criticize your sending your child to such classes it is good that you do so. Just do not be so overly confident in the ability of a kid to use what they are taught.

gabosaurus
07-19-2011, 05:52 PM
I hope I have not given anyone the impression that I am sending my daughter out on the street to attack people. This is not the case.
My only hope is that my kid can somehow avoid getting attacked or abducted. The point of self defense training of this nature is to give kids a means to escape. It is not intended to teach kids how to fight someone.
I think it is something that can be useful to every kid, especially girls. If someone drives up to your kid and points a gun at them, or just walks up and grabs them, their life is at stake. Meek submission is pretty much a death sentence.
I don't believe in the "going limp"strategy. The best thing is to keep all part of your body moving at all times. Kids need to claw, scratch, kick and bite, anything to distract the attacker.

The most important thing for a kid to learn is confidence and self awareness. Believe you can escape and be prepared for the worst.

Gunny
07-19-2011, 06:28 PM
I hope I have not given anyone the impression that I am sending my daughter out on the street to attack people. This is not the case.
My only hope is that my kid can somehow avoid getting attacked or abducted. The point of self defense training of this nature is to give kids a means to escape. It is not intended to teach kids how to fight someone.
I think it is something that can be useful to every kid, especially girls. If someone drives up to your kid and points a gun at them, or just walks up and grabs them, their life is at stake. Meek submission is pretty much a death sentence.
I don't believe in the "going limp"strategy. The best thing is to keep all part of your body moving at all times. Kids need to claw, scratch, kick and bite, anything to distract the attacker.

The most important thing for a kid to learn is confidence and self awareness. Believe you can escape and be prepared for the worst.

Try again. You're back-pedaling. I haven't criticized you teaching your child anything, nor has anyone else. You've been criticized for your supreme confidence in non-realistic crap.

You know how the teach you to win a barfight in Asian martial arts? Don't go into the bar.

Awareness is key. That eye-gouging and/or knee-capping isTom-foolery.

darin
07-19-2011, 07:49 PM
This is gabby: "Outlandish claim!"

This is average person: "that's not true, and this is why"

this is gabby: "I never said 'outlandish claim!'"

Gets tiresome.

gabosaurus
07-20-2011, 01:01 AM
Gets tiresome.

So what are you teaching your kid? That nothing will ever happen to her?
"Don't worry sweetie, your dad was in the military and will always be here to protect you. No bad person will ever want to abduct, rape and kill you."
You and Gunny need to think less like attackers and more like kids.
Or just tell them that, if they are abducted, there is nothing they can do. Just give up, go along with everything and perhaps you will still be alive with daddy leads the rescue squad to find you.
Or it could be that you just don't really care. Sucks if you have girls.

LuLu
07-20-2011, 03:10 AM

I am not saying my son could fend off an attacker. LOL
I am saying he is a lot to handle. What the kid can do in a minute or less bewilders me.

But you are very correct, and that scares the crap out of me.

darin
07-20-2011, 03:48 AM
"Don't worry sweetie, your dad was in the military and will always be here to protect you. No bad person will ever want to abduct, rape and kill you."
Or just tell them that, if they are abducted, there is nothing they can do. Just give up, go along with everything and perhaps you will still be alive with daddy leads the rescue squad to find you.

red Herring.

Gunny
07-20-2011, 07:27 AM

Talk about your ad hominems. You just created a whole POV for DMP and me based on nothing we've said.

I have two girls as a matter of fact, and no, it didn't nor does it suck for them nor me. Matter of fact, no one has disagreed with teaching children anything.

The disagreement stems from YOUR naive, unrealistic and stupid opinion that teaching them some playground hijinks is going to save a 12 years old girl's ass from an adult predator.

My children were taught to be aware, and BOTH were in martial arts WAY before they were 12. They were also taught to think rather than try some Bruce Lee movie bullshit.

The most important thing is that they survive, and if that means doing as they're told until the situation changes, so be it. YOU are the one talking the militant crap here, not anyone else. You're just a recipe for disaster expecting the near impossible out of a child vs adult scenario.

darin
07-20-2011, 07:33 AM
I think Gabs and other liberals would focus on teaching their kids to 'create a dialog' to better understand the point of view or needs of the kidnapper. They might instruct their kids to CELEBRATE the life choices of the molester. Perhaps teach their kids to be INCLUSIVE and TOLERANT of the diversity in our communities. :-/

07-20-2011, 08:24 PM
As I don't have children yet, the answers is a negative. When I do, that will be a different story.

Wind Song
07-20-2011, 08:26 PM
No. My children would not be able to fend off a kidnapping or rape attempt. What a strange topic.

gabosaurus
07-20-2011, 11:14 PM
I think Gabs and other liberals would focus on teaching their kids to 'create a dialog' to better understand the point of view or needs of the kidnapper. They might instruct their kids to CELEBRATE the life choices of the molester. Perhaps teach their kids to be INCLUSIVE and TOLERANT of the diversity in our communities. :-/

Taking a thread about children's safety and turning it into a political shit fest is surely a sign of either oncoming senility or too many shrapnel wounds in the head. I simply want my daughter to be prepared. If you are ready to write off your kid, then so be it.

No. My children would not be able to fend off a kidnapping or rape attempt. What a strange topic.

I hope you carry a lot of life insurance and take a lot of pictures.

darin
07-21-2011, 05:29 AM
Taking a thread about children's safety and turning it into a political shit fest is surely a sign of either oncoming senility or too many shrapnel wounds in the head. I simply want my daughter to be prepared. If you are ready to write off your kid, then so be it.

Merely pointing out your hypocrisy. Simply pointing out your fallacy, lies, and trolling.

Gunny
07-21-2011, 08:19 AM

I hope you carry a lot of life insurance and take a lot of pictures.

You are absolutely clueless. You talk about someone politicizing a thread, but go look at the unrealistic, one side crap YOU are posting. In a nutshell, it's YOUR way or you don't care about your kid. YOUR way is the least effective choice of all on the topic. It's not even your choice that matters ... it's the one-sided, exclusive projection of "your way" that does.

Fact is, "your way" would get a 12 years killed quicker than running and yelling and/or attracting attention by one means or another. In the case of your example, Jaycee Dugard, NOTHING would have changed that.