PDA

View Full Version : Obama’s motorcade fined for London congestion fees

Shadow
07-20-2011, 08:06 PM
London Mayor Boris Johnson is raising a stink over minor congestion charges he says President Obama's motorcade incurred while visiting his city, the London Evening Standard reports.

Johnson has fined the United States 120 pounds (nearly $200 U.S. dollars) in congestion levies--10 pounds per vehicle--for the presidential motorcade used during Obama's state visit in May.

The sum may seem to be a pittance, but it is part of a much larger problem, Johnson and others say.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/obama-motorcade-fined-london-congestion-fees-173333994.html

logroller
07-25-2011, 12:31 AM
10 pounds per car? I wonder what the colonial tax on tea was.

Tell them to take it off their outstanding Great War debt. No no no no no, I insist!--- It's the diplomatic thing to do.:beer:

Gunny
07-25-2011, 04:16 AM
London Mayor Boris Johnson is raising a stink over minor congestion charges he says President Obama's motorcade incurred while visiting his city, the London Evening Standard reports.

Johnson has fined the United States 120 pounds (nearly $200 U.S. dollars) in congestion levies--10 pounds per vehicle--for the presidential motorcade used during Obama's state visit in May.

The sum may seem to be a pittance, but it is part of a much larger problem, Johnson and others say.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/obama-motorcade-fined-london-congestion-fees-173333994.html

Can we neg rep Boris Johnson?

soupnazi630
07-25-2011, 08:42 AM

Wonder if the white house will pay the fine?

I'm not sure but I believe diplomatic immunity may be involved.

It was long ago so I cannot get a link but I recall an article in the WSJ about U.N. diplomats all over NYC using their diplomatic privileges to park their limos and cars wherever they like all over the city including in front of fire hydrants, no parking zones, pretty much wherever they please. The police and parking officials of NYC have routinely issue traffic tickets for such infractions but they are just filed away and no action taking due to diplomatic immunity. Someone in the article estimated that NYC could rake in millions if they collected all the $ from these fines. Or even is they just impounded the cars and auctioned them off.

Wouldn't surprise me if some of those UN diplomats were British.

I guess it is tit for tat we can pay them for Obama's motorcade when they settle up with NYC. Or we can both ignore the whole thing

fj1200
07-25-2011, 09:28 AM
Can cars have diplomatic immunity? I say boot 'em and they can pay to get them out of the impound.

soupnazi630
07-25-2011, 09:40 AM
Can cars have diplomatic immunity? I say boot 'em and they can pay to get them out of the impound.

There are diplomatic plates which make them legally immune to being booted or towed.

In addition I am not certain but I believe even a personal car owned by a certified diplomat cannot be impounded or towed the owner just has to show diplomatic credentials.

Shadow
07-25-2011, 10:06 AM
Wonder if the white house will pay the fine?

I'm not sure but I believe diplomatic immunity may be involved.

It was long ago so I cannot get a link but I recall an article in the WSJ about U.N. diplomats all over NYC using their diplomatic privileges to park their limos and cars wherever they like all over the city including in front of fire hydrants, no parking zones, pretty much wherever they please. The police and parking officials of NYC have routinely issue traffic tickets for such infractions but they are just filed away and no action taking due to diplomatic immunity. Someone in the article estimated that NYC could rake in millions if they collected all the $ from these fines. Or even is they just impounded the cars and auctioned them off.

Wouldn't surprise me if some of those UN diplomats were British.

I guess it is tit for tat we can pay them for Obama's motorcade when they settle up with NYC. Or we can both ignore the whole thing

Well,considering the US Embassy already owes them aprox 8.7 million dollars in unpaid congestion fees...I would say,no,the white house will probably not pay up. And yes...they are tit for tat. A convenient loop hole to avoid these fees has been found anyway. They say that the Vienna Convention prevents them from paying tax on diplomatic missions. So... if no one has to pay them...ever...why write up the paperwork and keep a tally??

Shadow
07-25-2011, 10:10 AM
Can we neg rep Boris Johnson?

We can try. Think they have diplomatic immunity for picking on whiners who are "raising a stink"?