PDA

View Full Version : Rick Perry says gay marriage is a states rights issue

gabosaurus
07-22-2011, 11:29 PM
Texas governor Rick Perry says his belief in states rights is so strong that he endorses New York making gay marriage legal. But he still considers himself totally conservative.

http://www.statesman.com/news/nation/gov-perry-gay-marriage-is-states-rights-issue-1638339.html

fj1200
07-22-2011, 11:33 PM
Yeah? And? So does Cheney.

gabosaurus
07-22-2011, 11:35 PM
Cheney is not running for President.

fj1200
07-22-2011, 11:40 PM
Cheney is not running for President.

Didn't say he was, you made no mention of Perry running for President only questioned his Conservatism. Besides I believe Cheney held that view while running for Veep.

Kathianne
07-22-2011, 11:41 PM
I think it's a state's rights issue too. Personally think that the question should be limited to civil unions and get government out of marriage. Churches can decide who they will perform marriage ceremonies for and not.

gabosaurus
07-22-2011, 11:45 PM
Most right-wing conservatives are against gay marriage in any form. My question is, if Perry was so heavily against gay marriage while running his last campaign for governor of Texas, why has he decided it is now OK for other states to approve it?

darin
07-22-2011, 11:50 PM
Most? Hrm. Most conservatives love liberty. Most conservatives hate caving to political correctness. Most conservatives hate creating 'pet minorities' - hell, assigning minority status based on behaviour-alone is stupid. :)

gabosaurus
07-22-2011, 11:52 PM
Most? Hrm. Most conservatives love liberty. Most conservatives hate caving to political correctness. Most conservatives hate creating 'pet minorities' - hell, assigning minority status based on behaviour-alone is stupid. :)

So you are telling me that you support gay marriage on a state-by-state basis? There is nothing politically correct about it. If you don't want to have minorities, accept them into the majority.

fj1200
07-22-2011, 11:55 PM
... why has he decided it is now OK for other states to approve it?

Who said he decided? He just said it was a states rights issue.

PostmodernProphet
07-23-2011, 06:39 AM
Most right-wing conservatives are against gay marriage in any form. My question is, if Perry was so heavily against gay marriage while running his last campaign for governor of Texas, why has he decided it is now OK for other states to approve it?

actually, I think most agree it's a state's rights issue.......the problem has been the "full faith and credit" requirements.....

Gunny
07-23-2011, 08:21 AM

BS. Last I saw, the majority of conservatives either were for civil union or had no opinion. The rabble-rousing leftwing special interest lobby trying to shove gay marriage down everyone's throats refused it with their typical stupid all or nothing mentality. They just had to have the word "marriage". Tough shit. They cut off their own noses to spite their faces.

Your question means you didn't read the article YOU posted, and/or you don't understand the 10th Amendment to the US Constitution. Perry's statement is completely consistent with the 10th. Not hard to be against something and understand that IAW the 10th, it's none of his business what another state does. Btw ... Perry and/or the Texas Congress did NOT make marriage between a man and a woman only. The voters in Texas did in a referendum vote. The State government merely carried out the wishes of its citizens. As it should be.

BoogyMan
07-23-2011, 04:24 PM

My friends, when a liberal puke-stain resorts to the "most right-wing conservatives say..." kind of rhetoric it is VERY clear that said puke-stain is railing against a strawman and is embroiled in the mental midgetry of logical fallacy.

Just sayin....

darin
07-23-2011, 05:27 PM
So you are telling me that you support gay marriage on a state-by-state basis? There is nothing politically correct about it. If you don't want to have minorities, accept them into the majority.

Minorities should never be defined by recreational choices. Sure - I'm a libertarian mostly. The less state involvement in things, including marriage, the better.