PDA

View Full Version : R-ratings on movies that have Smoking?

-Cp
05-11-2007, 11:40 AM
Smoking will be a bigger factor in determining film ratings, the Motion Picture Association of America said Thursday, but critics said the move does not go far enough to discourage teens from taking up the habit.

MPAA Chairman Dan Glickman said his group's ratings board, which previously had considered underage smoking in assigning film ratings, now will take into account smoking by adults, as well.

That adds smoking to a list of such factors as sex, violence and language in determining the MPAA's G, PG, PG-13, R and NC-17 ratings.

Film raters will consider the pervasiveness of tobacco use, whether it glamorizes smoking and the context in which smoking appears, as in movies set in the past when smoking was more common.

Some critics of Hollywood's depictions of tobacco in films have urged that movies that show smoking be assigned an R rating, which would restrict those younger than 17 from seeing them.

"I'm glad it's finally an issue they're taking up, but what they're proposing does not go far enough and is not going to make a difference," said Kori Titus, spokeswoman for Breathe California, which opposes film images of tobacco use that might encourage young people to start smoking.

Glickman said a mandatory R rating for smoking would not "further the specific goal of providing information to parents on this issue."

Smoking in movies with a G, PG or PG-13 rating has been on the decline, and the "percentage of films that included even a fleeting glimpse of smoking" declined from 60 percent to 52 percent between July 2004 and July 2006," Glickman said.

Of those films, three-fourths received an R rating for other reasons, he said.

"That means there's not a great amount of films in the unrestricted category as it stands," said Joan Graves, who heads the ratings board. "We're not saying we're ignoring the issue. We're trying the best way possible according to what we've learned from parents to give them information about what's in a film."

Titus said smoking in films had declined in recent years but remains more prevalent than MPAA figures indicate.

Descriptions on sex, violence and language that accompany movie ratings now will include such phrases as "glamorized smoking" or "pervasive smoking," Glickman said.

If rated today, a film such as 2005's "Good Night, and Good Luck," about chain-smoking newsman Edward R. Murrow, would have carried a "pervasive smoking" tag but probably would have retained its PG rating because of its historical context in the 1950s, Graves said.

Titus said film raters should be as tough on smoking as they are on bad language to minimize the effects of on-screen smoking on children, including her own 5-year-old daughter.

"I don't want her using that language, but last time I checked, she's probably not going to die from that," Titus said. "If she starts smoking from these images she sees in movies, chances are she's probably going to die early from that."

While Titus' group wants tougher ratings restrictions, the MPAA released statements of support for its plan from John Seffrin, chief executive officer of the American Cancer Society, U.S. Sen. Joe Biden and filmmaker Rob Reiner, among others.

"By placing smoking on a par with considerations of violence and sex, the rating board has acknowledged the public-health dangers to children associated with glamorized images of a toxic and lethal addiction to tobacco," Barry Bloom, dean of the Harvard School of Public Health, said in a statement.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,271499,00.html

glockmail
05-11-2007, 11:52 AM
But sex is only PG13, and queer sex PG :pee:

-Cp
05-11-2007, 11:59 AM

I KNOW - that's the JACKED up part...

Hagbard Celine
05-11-2007, 12:17 PM

What pg movie has a queer sex scene in it? :rolleyes:

LiberalNation
05-11-2007, 12:58 PM
Plain stupid. Smoking is no worse then violence and cussing but that rarely get's a movie an R rating unless it's totally over the top graphic.

glockmail
05-11-2007, 01:23 PM
What pg movie has a queer sex scene in it? :rolleyes: Half the TV shows have queers in them discussing queer sex. If smoking is to have an R rating then clearly homosexuality should have an R rating.

Lightning Waltz
05-11-2007, 01:24 PM
Smoking is fine in movies...as long as it's a gun after blowing someone's head off.

Hagbard Celine
05-11-2007, 01:37 PM
Half the TV shows have queers in them discussing queer sex. If smoking is to have an R rating then clearly homosexuality should have an R rating.

Will & Grace is the only one I can think of and tv shows aren't movies--and talking and making half-witted must-see-tv jokes hardly qualifies as being obscene, not to mention the show has an mpaa rating posted in the upper left-hand screen when it airs. Which PG movies were you talking about containing gay sex scenes? You weren't making something up to support your conservative viewpoint were you? Nah. You wouldn't do that. ;)

glockmail
05-11-2007, 03:58 PM
Will & Grace is the only one I can think of and tv shows aren't movies--and talking and making half-witted must-see-tv jokes hardly qualifies as being obscene, not to mention the show has an mpaa rating posted in the upper left-hand screen when it airs. Which PG movies were you talking about containing gay sex scenes? You weren't making something up to support your conservative viewpoint were you? Nah. You wouldn't do that. ;)

Movies, TV, all the same shit as far as I'm concerned. I've never even watched Will and Grace but the queer thing is touted with every "teaser" ad for the show that pops up when I'm watching something else. That crap should have an R rating because it's immoral.

Doniston
05-11-2007, 08:54 PM
I'm gonna sorta throw a wrench in the monkey-works. I find my own attitude about this rather strange.

I smoked for 55 years form 17 to 72, and quite cold turkey about five years ago. Now I have never been one to object to others smoking around me, and I even enjoy the smell of other folks smoke.

But this comes up, and for some stupid reason, I see smoking scenes in the movies as wrong. I can't explain it, but I have an aversion of seeing it on the screen. DON-KNOW, it doesn't make sense to me either.

Hugh Lincoln
05-12-2007, 09:00 PM
I'm gonna sorta throw a wrench in the monkey-works. I find my own attitude about this rather strange.

I smoked for 55 years form 17 to 72, and quite cold turkey about five years ago. Now I have never been one to object to others smoking around me, and I even enjoy the smell of other folks smoke.

But this comes up, and for some stupid reason, I see smoking scenes in the movies as wrong. I can't explain it, but I have an aversion of seeing it on the screen. DON-KNOW, it doesn't make sense to me either.

I guess if the big C hasn't got you yet, it never will... congrats on quitting. Is it true what they say about food tasting better?

stephanie
05-12-2007, 09:55 PM
I've been noticing lately, ALL the movies being made for HBO, and channels like that.....The whole dang cast seems to be smoking...

I don't really care for it, myself..

lily
05-12-2007, 10:25 PM
We're becoming a nanny state right before my eyes.

Pale Rider
05-13-2007, 01:37 PM

What about that sickening movie, slamcock mountain? That should have been rated X!

Guernicaa
05-13-2007, 02:00 PM
Total bull shit.

I think its bad enough that people in NY aren't allowed to exercise their right to smoke in a public facility.

MtnBiker
05-13-2007, 02:07 PM
Total bull shit.

I think its bad enough that people in NY aren't allowed to exercise their right to smoke in a public facility.

Like a library?

05-13-2007, 05:15 PM
Aww come on people. Smoking is bad but an R rating for smoking? ive seen things in PG movies that are worse than smoking.

Trigg
05-15-2007, 03:27 PM
We're becoming a nanny state right before my eyes.

YEP!!

Around here there is no smoking in a public building, not even bars (which I think is completely mad).

Now I don't smoke and never have and while I will say it is nicer to go out and not come home smelling like an ashtray, this is looking more and more like big brother is incharge.

nevadamedic
05-15-2007, 03:40 PM
What about that sickening movie, slamcock mountain? That should have been rated X!

Becareful what you say about Brokedick Mountain, that's Obama's favorite movie.

nevadamedic
05-15-2007, 03:43 PM
Im glad this has gone through. Senator Ensign from my state is the one who put leverage on the MPAA to make this happen. Cudos to all involved.

We have passed a simular law here where people can not smoke in any establishment the serves or sells food and where children go. Business has never been better for these places. Noone wants to smell other people's bad habits. My grandma died from Cancer due to second hand smoke and it's rude and inconsiderate to subject your filty habit to other people.

lily
05-15-2007, 04:43 PM
YEP!!

Around here there is no smoking in a public building, not even bars (which I think is completely mad).

Now I don't smoke and never have and while I will say it is nicer to go out and not come home smelling like an ashtray, this is looking more and more like big brother is incharge.

Well, it's not that bad here yet. There is one resteraunt that I like to go to, really good food. It went non-smoking, but went one step further. No cell phones. That is just as annoying as smoking. I smoke so I really don't notice, but asked my son who is a fanatic about smoking if you sit in a non-smoking section, does it really make a difference........guess you can still smell it according to him.

Doniston
05-15-2007, 07:21 PM
I guess if the big C hasn't got you yet, it never will... congrats on quitting. Is it true what they say about food tasting better?I personally have not seen a difference.

Trigg
05-16-2007, 08:52 PM
I was just watching a trailer for Shrek 3.

A guy is climbing out of a carriage with smoke billowing out of it. He turns to the guy behind him and says "hey man, don't smoke all my frankenses and murr".

Now the kids hopefully won't catch this double meaning, the adults are going to see what........................that's right pot.

How is this any better than smoking on screen?????????????????????