PDA

View Full Version : America's Wacky Fair Food

Shadow
07-25-2011, 09:41 AM
While some of these items don't sound too bad...like deep fried mashed potatoes or spahgetti and meatballs on a stick. Don't know If I could do Kool-aid pickles or Kangaroo genitals. Interesting slide show of wacky fair food. Anyone had deep fried Pepsi or beer...or any of the other listed items?

http://www.foodandwine.com/slideshows/americas-wacky-fair-foods

Jess
07-25-2011, 10:44 AM
Ummm ... no.

I dragged my supposedly redneck fella to the tractor pulls (which he said were ridiculous, btw. Some people just don't appreciate jet engines on tractors - whatever) and the only food we got was funnel cakes and cotton candy. Didn't go with the butterfly pork chop sandwich or pork burger this year.

We're just normal rednecks. No weird edibles for us. ;)

Shadow
07-25-2011, 10:57 AM
I had a redneck fella once...he LOVED the tractor pulls. Only been a couple times myself though... I remember them being extremely LOUD. My redneck fella was also kinda cheap...no snacks :)

I take my kids to the fair every year...and we try to eat some type of fair food we have never tried before. This year...deep fried snickers and twinkies. Pretty good,but very rich. Reindeer sausage doesn't sound too bad...a friend of mine's dad used to make elk sausage and jerky that was actually the bomb diggity. :thumb:

Jess
07-25-2011, 11:09 AM
I looooove tractor pulls. And the louder, the better.

Shadow
07-25-2011, 11:25 AM
NM is pretty big on tractor pulls and related events. I like them because they also sometimes incorporate the monster trucks and sometimes also exhibits from the NM farm and ranch museum's around (kind cool seeing the older ranch equipment and remembering back to when my grandfather had something similar on his property). The tractor pull events that come to the smaller towns (like Hatch,Deming, Las Cruces etc) also have other events associated with them...like duck races,electric light parades and chile festivals. Pretty neat.

SassyLady
07-25-2011, 11:48 PM
I had a redneck fella once...he LOVED the tractor pulls. Only been a couple times myself though... I remember them being extremely LOUD. My redneck fella was also kinda cheap...no snacks :)

I take my kids to the fair every year...and we try to eat some type of fair food we have never tried before. This year...deep fried snickers and twinkies. Pretty good,but very rich. Reindeer sausage doesn't sound too bad...a friend of mine's dad used to make elk sausage and jerky that was actually the bomb diggity. :thumb:

My first husband was a Fair Manager and I think I attended every fair in California at one time or another. Seen just about everything that you can imagine and sampled every type of food available. If not at the fair, then at the annual convention when the vendors are trying to get our attention and get to the head of the line to be at the fair. Some interesting stuff.

PS ... I even have a trophy for a milking contest. :laugh:

Shadow
07-26-2011, 08:02 AM
My first husband was a Fair Manager and I think I attended every fair in California at one time or another. Seen just about everything that you can imagine and sampled every type of food available. If not at the fair, then at the annual convention when the vendors are trying to get our attention and get to the head of the line to be at the fair. Some interesting stuff.

That is awesome :thumb:

You never know when you will need to milk something...good skill to have,just in case.

So... what was the strangest thing the food vendors tried to sell the public in your area?

Jess
07-26-2011, 08:06 AM

They give out trophies for that now?!?

Bummer. We just had to do it twice a day so the cow wasn't in pain and we had milk to drink.

SassyLady
07-27-2011, 02:49 AM
That is awesome :thumb:

You never know when you will need to milk something...good skill to have,just in case.

So... what was the strangest thing the food vendors tried to sell the public in your area?

My area was the entire state of CA ... and CA has a tendency to think anything deep fried is strange ... but deep fried butter still kinda freaks me out the most.

Shadow
07-29-2011, 10:05 PM
Would anyone try this?

Gasp! State fair features 1,500-calorie ‘Donut Burger’

SYRACUSE, New York (http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&where1=SYRACUSE, New York&sty=h&form=msdate) — Want fries with that ... doughnut?

A food booth in Syracuse will feature the "Big Kahuna Donut Burger" at this year's New York State Fair.

For between $5 and $6, the adventurous eater will get a quarter-pound burger in between slices of a grilled, glazed doughnut. Toss on some cheese, bacon, lettuce, tomato and onion and you've got yourself a 1,500-calorie meal.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/43935974/ns/today-food/

ConHog
08-08-2011, 12:20 AM
Would anyone try this?

Gasp! State fair features 1,500-calorie ‘Donut Burger’

SYRACUSE, New York (http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&where1=SYRACUSE, New York&sty=h&form=msdate) — Want fries with that ... doughnut?

A food booth in Syracuse will feature the "Big Kahuna Donut Burger" at this year's New York State Fair.

For between $5 and $6, the adventurous eater will get a quarter-pound burger in between slices of a grilled, glazed doughnut. Toss on some cheese, bacon, lettuce, tomato and onion and you've got yourself a 1,500-calorie meal.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/43935974/ns/today-food/

I had a cheeseburger at a joint in Branson,Mo the other day that instead of buns had two grilled cheese sandwhiches, then two burgers, 4 slices of bacon, about 1/2 lb of avocado , and even more cheese. It came with mayo, but I passed on that. Altogether the burger had to be 2500 calories. I ate it all, plus fries and a chocolate milkshake, but I swam 2 miles extra that evening to burn it off.

Shadow
08-08-2011, 09:01 AM
Kind of like this?

http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r405/Ginger1965/Grilledcheeseburger.jpg

How did you even fit that thing in your mouth (with an extra beef patty,bacon and avacado)? I think it would have taken me several days to finish that puppy off. I would have definately been too sluggish (with a food hangover) to exercise...that's for sure.

Trigg
08-08-2011, 02:03 PM
Kind of like this?http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r405/Ginger1965/Grilledcheeseburger.jpgHow did you even fit that thing in your mouth (with an extra beef patty,bacon and avacado)? I think it would have taken me several days to finish that puppy off. I would have definately been too sluggish (with a food hangover) to exercise...that's for sure. that doesn't even look good.

ConHog
08-08-2011, 02:23 PM
that doesn't even look good.

Oh it tasted pretty good. LOL. But damn..................

And yeah Shadow, the swimming came many hours after the burger.

Shadow
08-08-2011, 02:27 PM
that doesn't even look good.

Looks like something you would see on an episode Extreme Food. :laugh: