PDA

View Full Version : Our Petulant and Inept President

Kathianne
07-26-2011, 12:16 AM
Got to love the title, says so much in so few words.

http://www.commentarymagazine.com/2011/07/25/our-petulant-and-inept-president/

Peter Wehner (http://www.commentarymagazine.com/author/peter-wehner/)

It’s been clear to some of us for a while that Barack Obama is a man of uncommon self-admiration, quite thin-skinned, and increasingly consumed by his grievances. Obama has masked these traits pretty well so far, but on Friday his mask slipped more than it ever has. And that is bound to hurt him.

Second, Democrats on Capitol Hill are rapidly losing confidence in the president’s competence as a negotiator. Obama’s conduct during the debt ceiling negotiations – from his flip-flops to his irrelevant deadlines to his backtracking on his agreements with various parties – has been so erratic and uneven that his own party has decided the best hope of reaching an agreement is to sideline him (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/craig-crawford/obama-sidelined_b_908278.html).

And third, conservatives in the House, by holding firm rather than folding, have succeeded in shifting the debate away from tax increases, “grand bargains,” and Gang of Six compromises to spending cuts in exchange for an increase in the debt ceiling. How serious those spending cuts are remains to be determined, and there will be enormous pressure for Republicans to agree to Potemkin Village budget cuts, including from GOP appropriators. That pressure needs to be resisted. The cuts Republicans must agree to have to be real...

The president and his team entered these negotiations believing he could strike a grand bargain that would allow him to present himself as a born-again budget cutter, as fiscally responsible, as a Man of the Center. And in the process, he kept instructing us, he would emerge as the only adult in the room. At this juncture, it looks like Obama is the most adolescent, even childish, figure in the negotiations – a petulant man who also happens to be an inept negotiator.
This isn’t what the president and his supporters expected. But of course, that could be said for his entire presidency. Barack Obama, we were told by not a few liberals, would be America’s next Lincoln or FDR. It turns out with every passing day, he more and more resembles James Earl Carter (http://www.commentarymagazine.com/2011/07/25/our-petulant-and-inept-president/#) . This is very bad news for our nation and very bad news for the Democratic Party.

Gunny
07-26-2011, 04:53 AM
Couldn't have been said much better.

KarlMarx
07-26-2011, 06:30 AM
you have to wonder how the Dems can seriously stand beside this guy in the 2012 elections. I hope that they stick with him, though. I want to see the Democrats lose and lose big. I want to see the Democratic Party hamstrung for a generation, maybe more. But most of all, I want to see real conservatives in Washington, DC.

Gunny
07-26-2011, 06:49 AM
you have to wonder how the Dems can seriously stand beside this guy in the 2012 elections. I hope that they stick with him, though. I want to see the Democrats lose and lose big. I want to see the Democratic Party hamstrung for a generation, maybe more. But most of all, I want to see real conservatives in Washington, DC.

I quit wondering after watching the absolute abortion that WAS the Democratic primary. The left turned a complete blind eye to his continuing stream of lies and hypocrisy. They didn't even bat an eyelash when two superdelegates voted against their respective constituents and bold-face stole the primary from Hillary. They STILL won't address the topic, while continuing to attack Palin and or Bush.

How'd that go again? The very second Bush was elected he was responsible and Clinton and/or anything he did was taboo. With Herr Obama though, they're STILL blaming Bush for his screw-ups.

Sadly enough, the lefty sheeple will happily bleat their way down to the polls and vote for this major screw-up again.

J.T
07-26-2011, 01:06 PM
Obama's just trying to be 1/17th like Regan by raising the debt ceiling here...

fj1200
07-26-2011, 01:15 PM
Obama's just trying to be 1/17th like Regan by raising the debt ceiling here...

Reagan controlled the debt ceiling when he was President? Who knew?

Little-Acorn
07-26-2011, 02:19 PM
But most of all, I want to see real conservatives in Washington, DC.

That is the ultimate goal, of course.

The Dem party did get whacked in 1994 after attempting Hillarycare. But all we wound up with (after a brief "good start" that included welfare reform and lowering the Capital Gains tax rate that almost balanced the budget), was more and more liberalism, big government, and insane spending, this time served up by RINOs, especially after 2000. That Obama did it "even more" after 2008, was just a ton of salt put on top of the pounds of salt the RINOs put in the wound.

The elections of 2010, were another "good start", as is the present insistence on no tax increases. But a LOT more remains to be done before we actually start fixing the huge problems we have: Crushing debt, Obamacare, etc.

And if we learned anything from 1994, it's that just electing Republicans doesn't guarantee ANYTHING. We have to stay on top of them every second, and bludgeon them into conservatism and the freedom that comes with it, voting out the ones who don't willingly go along with this agenda regardless of party.

red states rule
07-27-2011, 03:40 AM
Reagan controlled the debt ceiling when he was President? Who knew?

Which means the debt ceiling under Pres Reagan was raised about every 6 months during his two terms in office. Obama and the libs are trying to use Pres Reagan as an excuse to continue their insane spending

So why are they demanding the debt ceiling be raised for 2 years (past the 2012 election) and for 6 months like it was under Pres Reagan?

Perhaps beause Obama is more worried about keeping his job then what is best for the country?

But givien the huge ego of Obama and libs in general, they are both the same to them