PDA

View Full Version : Can you laugh at yourself? Scientists put humor to the test

Shadow
07-26-2011, 11:04 PM
Interesting article. I know I can laugh at myself and some of the stupid things I tend to take too seriously sometimes. I think it just depends on how vulnerable I feel at the time,and maybe how seriously the second party is being at making fun of me. Can you laugh at yourself? Or are their certain issues that are off limits?

Can you laugh at yourself? Scientists put humor to the test

You oversleep and have about five minutes to get ready for work. When you get to the office, one of your ever-observant colleagues points out that you’re wearing two different shoes.
Do you A) laugh it off or B) turn bright red and hurry out to retrieve a matching shoe, hoping no one else notices?
“Laughing at oneself is really seen as this core component of a sense of humor,” says Ursula Beermann, a psychology post-doc at the University of California, Berkeley. But, wondered Beermann, “does it really exist?”

http://bodyodd.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/07/26/7143331-can-you-laugh-at-yourself-scientists-put-humor-to-the-test

chloe
07-26-2011, 11:07 PM
Interesting article. I know I can laugh at myself and some of the stupid things I tend to take too seriously sometimes. I think it just depends on how vulnerable I feel at the time,and maybe how seriously the second party is being at making fun of me. Can you laugh at yourself? Or are their certain issues that are off limits?

You oversleep and have about five minutes to get ready for work. When you get to the office, one of your ever-observant colleagues points out that you’re wearing two different shoes.
Do you A) laugh it off or B) turn bright red and hurry out to retrieve a matching shoe, hoping no one else notices?
“Laughing at oneself is really seen as this core component of a sense of humor,” says Ursula Beermann, a psychology post-doc at the University of California, Berkeley. But, wondered Beermann, “does it really exist?”

http://bodyodd.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/07/26/7143331-can-you-laugh-at-yourself-scientists-put-humor-to-the-test

If I didn't laugh I'd cry:laugh2:

SassyLady
07-27-2011, 03:51 AM

My sense of humor seems to have developed as I've aged. I would laugh it off and say "wow....you passed the test .... the company is testing how observant we are today....and you never know if the test is completed ... so be extra observant over the next few days!".....as I clomp away with a flipflop on one foot and a high heel on the other.

darin
07-27-2011, 05:36 AM
I showed up at work with one dark green sock, one black sock. Getting dressed in the dark has it's challenges.

CSM
07-27-2011, 06:53 AM
The older I get, the easier it is to laugh at myself.

On a side note, you ladies keep using those avatars. They keep my imagination active!

Shadow
07-27-2011, 07:19 AM
I showed up at work with one dark green sock, one black sock. Getting dressed in the dark has it's challenges.

I remember once I actually showed up to work wearing two different red pumps ( I noticed...no one else seemed too...unless they were just being nice in not pointing it out). Same reason...getting dressed in the dark. Haven't done that in awhile...I'm probably due. Guess I'd better pay extra attention to what I'm doing...I am an old fart now after all. No telling what I'll do next.

Shadow
07-27-2011, 07:24 AM
My sense of humor seems to have developed as I've aged. I would laugh it off and say "wow....you passed the test .... the company is testing how observant we are today....and you never know if the test is completed ... so be extra observant over the next few days!".....as I clomp away with a flipflop on one foot and a high heel on the other.

Maybe that's part of it...people don't take themselves so serioulsy as they they get older (and wiser). I know I can brush off a lot more now than I could in my teens and twenties too. Not enough energy to care as much if I tend to make a dufus out of myself. :laugh:

CSM
07-27-2011, 07:43 AM
Maybe that's part of it...people don't take themselves so serioulsy as they they get older (and wiser). I know I can brush off a lot more now than I could in my teens and twenties too. Not enough energy to care as much if I tend to make a dufus out of myself. :laugh:

I also suspect that as we get older we get a bit more secure with ourselves. I know I'm all done trying to impress people and don't care a whole lot about wht they think of me. Of course, I am very old, so what are they gonna do, put me in a home?

chloe
07-27-2011, 09:41 AM

May we have a picture of that, my friend has a foot fetish....wink:rolleyes:

chloe
07-27-2011, 09:43 AM
I remember once I actually showed up to work wearing two different red pumps ( I noticed...no one else seemed too...unless they were just being nice in not pointing it out). Same reason...getting dressed in the dark. Haven't done that in awhile...I'm probably due. Guess I'd better pay extra attention to what I'm doing...I am an old fart now after all. No telling what I'll do next.

One time my gal pal at work went home for lunch and when she came back her shirt was inside out and some of the other ladies were snickering, and i said to her Gosh I suspect your lunch was alot more filling.....and pointed at her inside out shirt LOL, thank goodness she had a good sense of humor, and she confessed she met hubby for lunch:rolleyes:

SassyLady
07-28-2011, 12:15 AM
May we have a picture of that, my friend has a foot fetish....wink:rolleyes:

a true foot fetish ???? or a shoe fetish??? For the foot fetish ... I wear a natural colored polish and then have little flowers hand painted on my big toes...they look like orchids (not the daisy kind) ... different colors, depending on what I plan to wear for the next couple of weeks. I even paint them during the winter because I like to see them even if no one else does.

Because I like to wear sandals, I get a pedicure every 2-3 weeks because I can't stand it when I see people with the nasty, dried out heels so I really pamper my feet. There are those who actually look past my luscious, thick, long hair to my baby blue eyes... and then on down to see the rack, and then on down to the wide hips and then to the incredibly sexy legs and finally, finally see the pretty feet that completes the package. Oh, and my hands are pretty ... no age spots or knarly knuckles yet....but my ring finger is looking pretty bare lately!!!

:coffee:

chloe
07-28-2011, 09:01 AM
a true foot fetish ???? or a shoe fetish??? For the foot fetish ... I wear a natural colored polish and then have little flowers hand painted on my big toes...they look like orchids (not the daisy kind) ... different colors, depending on what I plan to wear for the next couple of weeks. I even paint them during the winter because I like to see them even if no one else does.

Because I like to wear sandals, I get a pedicure every 2-3 weeks because I can't stand it when I see people with the nasty, dried out heels so I really pamper my feet. There are those who actually look past my luscious, thick, long hair to my baby blue eyes... and then on down to see the rack, and then on down to the wide hips and then to the incredibly sexy legs and finally, finally see the pretty feet that completes the package. Oh, and my hands are pretty ... no age spots or knarly knuckles yet....but my ring finger is looking pretty bare lately!!!

:coffee:

Ohhh Yes He will be drooling and foaming at the mouth like a dog in heat, painful !!!:laugh2:

He likes FEET, post a pic of your feet when you get time. I am such a sweet friend I always take opportunities to find pretty feet for him to view:cool: and I will post a pic of my foot and feet just to show I ain't asking something I wouldn't do myself :salute:

http://i51.tinypic.com/2nvdl5.jpg

http://i56.tinypic.com/10e2b0k.jpg

http://i55.tinypic.com/2iaubo4.jpg

SassyLady
07-29-2011, 03:10 AM

Jess
07-29-2011, 08:27 AM
Life is entirely too short to not have a good sense of humor - up to and including oneself. Aside from that, people who can make jokes at others' expense but can't take a joke themselves are not tolerated in my world. BTDT.

He's now the ex. :death:

chloe
07-29-2011, 11:39 AM
Life is entirely too short to not have a good sense of humor - up to and including oneself. Aside from that, people who can make jokes at others' expense but can't take a joke themselves are not tolerated in my world. BTDT.

He's now the ex. :death:

I can laugh at myself because I am so stupid so often:laugh2:

I don't like to make fun of other people, unless I see them making fun of themselves first and I see that they are ok with kidden.

I also don't like it when people make jokes out of others but can't laugh at themselves.

chloe
07-29-2011, 11:42 AM
Literally he will:laugh:

Keep the feet and leg pics coming and he is guaranteed a nice day.....(shit I feel like heidi fleiss):rolleyes: