PDA

View Full Version : Jocks Joke About Condi Rice Rape

KarlMarx
05-11-2007, 12:20 PM
What are the chances that Rev Jesse Jackoff and Al Shakedown will be demanding an apology for this?

Slim or none?

.....Anthony Cumia interrupted to say he "could just imagine the horror on Condoleezza Rice's face when she realized that you were holding her down and f - - -ing her."
"Punching her in the f - - -ing face and f - - -ing her," added a laughing "Charlie," before saying he also wanted to force himself on First Lady Laura Bush.....

http://www.nypost.com/seven/05112007/tv/jocks_joke_about_condi_rice_rape_tv_don_kaplan.htm

krisy
05-11-2007, 12:40 PM
What are the chances that Rev Jesse Jackoff and Al Shakedown will be demanding an apology for this?

Slim or none?

http://www.nypost.com/seven/05112007/tv/jocks_joke_about_condi_rice_rape_tv_don_kaplan.htm

I'd say none,Karl.

Interesting that CBS doesn't plan to pull them. This is far worse than what Imus said IMO. Even tho that was NBC, They still felt the impact of advertisers pulling out and of course,the wrath of JJ and AS.

I still believe in free speech for these idiots tho,even tho it was vile and disgusting.

Birdzeye
05-11-2007, 12:47 PM

Slim or none?

Probably about as much as the chances of Rush Limpnutz demanding an apology if some asshole were to "joke" about Nancy Pelosi getting raped, slim to none.

krisy
05-11-2007, 12:47 PM
This would be the kind of thing I could see advertisers pulling out over. Not a stupid joke about nappy hair.

Pale Rider
05-11-2007, 01:18 PM

Slim or none?

First of all, the race bait twins don't see Condi as black enough to come to her defense.

Second, those sons a bitches should be arrested. It IS against the law to make verbal threats against someone, and that's what I'd call what they did.

krisy
05-11-2007, 03:18 PM
Second, those sons a bitches should be arrested. It IS against the law to make verbal threats against someone, and that's what I'd call what they did.

I thought about that too,Pale. I was wondering if they crossed that line....stupid pricks

stephanie
05-11-2007, 03:23 PM
Won't hear a thing from the lame stream media, liberals, or Jackson and Sharpton...

No surprise, though..

They apologized today...So now everything is AOK..:lame2:

jimnyc
05-11-2007, 03:31 PM
Opie and Anthony are syndicated on national broadcast radio, but this segment was on XM radio. Not only is it out of reach to the FCC, but the replay was done illegally without XM's permission. Not condoning what was stated, but they should NOT be penalized/fired or limited in any way - in my opinion. The guy with them was a homeless person, and it wasn't a skit but rather something the guy said at the spur of the moment, it was not O&A making the comments. O&A should have stopped it there, instead of egging him on, but it was done so on the "cable" of radio, where there are warnings that XM201 (their channel) is of the adult variety, and that it's for mature listeners only.

Any punishment would be akin to reprimanding anything ever stated on cable tv by actors (Sopranos come to mind?).

And BTW - these guys have been purposely trying to instigate activists and special interests groups as of last week, in a show of defiance against the Imus firing, who is their buddy. The day Imus had his telethon, they dedicated their entire show to his story, and kept having users call his hotline to make donations. They estimate Imus brought in nearly an additional 500,000 thanks to them. They are dead set against Sharpton and are actually hoping he'll try and come after them.

Sitarro
05-11-2007, 04:16 PM
Opie and Anthony are syndicated on national broadcast radio, but this segment was on XM radio. Not only is it out of reach to the FCC, but the replay was done illegally without XM's permission. Not condoning what was stated, but they should NOT be penalized/fired or limited in any way - in my opinion. The guy with them was a homeless person, and it wasn't a skit but rather something the guy said at the spur of the moment, it was not O&A making the comments. O&A should have stopped it there, instead of egging him on, but it was done so on the "cable" of radio, where there are warnings that XM201 (their channel) is of the adult variety, and that it's for mature listeners only.

Any punishment would be akin to reprimanding anything ever stated on cable tv by actors (Sopranos come to mind?).

And BTW - these guys have been purposely trying to instigate activists and special interests groups as of last week, in a show of defiance against the Imus firing, who is their buddy. The day Imus had his telethon, they dedicated their entire show to his story, and kept having users call his hotline to make donations. They estimate Imus brought in nearly an additional 500,000 thanks to them. They are dead set against Sharpton and are actually hoping he'll try and come after them.

I listen to them on Free FM over the net.....Anthony does a dead on impersonation of Imus among numerous others. I agree, they have been trying to enter the free speech debacle by purposely antagonizing the leftist anti-free speech zealots. Their terrestrial radio program has really been a lot less controversial than it was on KNEW before they got kicked off the radio. I used to be a big fan but now I like Ron & Fez more on the terrestrial side, I think it has to do with Opie's attitude and Jim Norton(too much input from him during the show). Anthony is still one of the funniest and most talented guys on radio IMO.

I also agree that they are getting too much of the blame for the crap a "black" homeless guy said on their show.

05-11-2007, 04:44 PM
Vile and disgusting. And Id say free speech has its limits. This can be construed as a threat if im reading the context right. I dont think people have the right to threaten others.

Abbey Marie
05-11-2007, 04:45 PM
How disgusting. It should be criminal to all-but-advocate the rape and beating of a woman. Our country is going down the toilet fast. Forget Sharpton, where are the feminists on this?

If these two clowns are trying to get Sharpton to come after them, attacking a conservative like Condi Rice isn't the way to do it. They would need to go after someone like Oprah for that.

jimnyc
05-11-2007, 04:49 PM
Vile and disgusting. And Id say free speech has its limits. This can be construed as a threat if im reading the context right. I dont think people have the right to threaten others.

While I agree it does have it's limits, you would think O&A listeners would be those listening. It's not only on XM Satellite radio, but then you need to go above and beyond to pay extra for their channel.

As a longtime listener, I can tell you that the boys like to be a bit controversial on purpose but this segment was a homeless guy rambling like an idiot. They made the mistake of not stopping it, and egging him on instead.

jimnyc
05-11-2007, 04:53 PM
How disgusting. It should be criminal to all-but-advocate the rape and beating of a woman. Our country is going down the toilet fast. Forget Sharpton, where are the feminists on this?

If these two clowns are trying to get Sharpton to come after them, attacking a conservative like Condi Rice isn't the way to do it. They would need to go after someone like Oprah for that.

While I see your point, I don't really think they were advocating rape. These guys just are "shock jocks" and they do their best to shock. Them, and Jim Norton who is also a part of their show, are extremely controversial, and generally "vile" in what most of they do. That's what their listeners expect.

Again, doesn't condone their show, but I still say that free speech should reign, unless of course it was a legitimate threat.

Remember, these are the same characters who got fired in Boston for announcing on (April 1st) that mayor Tom Menino died in a car accident. Then they were fired off of WNEW in NY for the "Sex for Sam" incident in NY, where the winner of a sex game around the city won a tour of the Samuel Adams brewery. Unfortunately, one of the places on their list of places was the steps of St. Patrick's Cathedral.

Dilloduck
05-11-2007, 04:54 PM
While I agree it does have it's limits, you would think O&A listeners would be those listening. It's not only on XM Satellite radio, but then you need to go above and beyond to pay extra for their channel.

As a longtime listener, I can tell you that the boys like to be a bit controversial on purpose but this segment was a homeless guy rambling like an idiot. They made the mistake of not stopping it, and egging him on instead.

If I were Condi, I would "invite" them up to the White House for a "visit".

diuretic
05-11-2007, 04:54 PM
It's not a threat, it's not specific enough and it's in a hypothetical manner.

It IS bloody grubby and vile. Forget politics and no-one should try and spin this either left or right, it's a joke about rape - funny bloody haha subject eh?

:lame2:

Abbey Marie
05-11-2007, 04:55 PM
It's not a threat, it's not specific enough and it's in a hypothetical manner.

It IS bloody grubby and vile. Forget politics and no-one should try and spin this either left or right, it's a joke about rape - funny bloody haha subject eh?

:lame2:

Eggszackry.

jimnyc
05-11-2007, 04:59 PM
If I were Condi, I would "invite" them up to the White House for a "visit".

Trust me, these retards would happily accept. But I don't think the White House really wants the likes of Little Jimmy Norton roaming free on the property. These guys would LOVE to have a forum with a major political leader to express their issues...

BTW - To give you an idea about Jim Norton, who is a hilarious comedian, but considered a bit too vulgar for many - his old email address was tinkledrinker@aol.com - then he changed it to yellowtreats@aol.com

They're all a bit demented, but then again, it's all about money, sponsors, ratings and who can outdo one another (Howard, Mancow, Ron & Fez...)

Dilloduck
05-11-2007, 05:04 PM
Trust me, these retards would happily accept. But I don't think the White House really wants the likes of Little Jimmy Norton roaming free on the property. These guys would LOVE to have a forum with a major political leader to express their issues...

BTW - To give you an idea about Jim Norton, who is a hilarious comedian, but considered a bit too vulgar for many - his old email address was tinkledrinker@aol.com - then he changed it to yellowtreats@aol.com

They're all a bit demented, but then again, it's all about money, sponsors, ratings and who can outdo one another (Howard, Mancow, Ron & Fez...)

Bring em on with cameras blazing--thier silly little antics will pale compared to the class that Condi had exude. There's a fine art to public humiliation.

Abbey Marie
05-11-2007, 05:04 PM
I don't think there is much of a jump at all from gleefully discussing the rape and beating of a woman, to advocating it. I know that it can be hard for even the most compassionate of men to really understand how this makes women feel. So I will leave it with, imagine if they were laughing at the thought of holding down and punching and raping your wife or daughter?

I'll bet the founding fathers would be repulsed by the lengths to which "freedom of speech" is used today to defend the most vile, putrid behavior.

Disgusting, low-life scum.

jimnyc
05-11-2007, 05:34 PM
I don't think there is much of a jump at all from gleefully discussing the rape and beating of a woman, to advocating it. I know that it can be hard for even the most compassionate of men to really understand how this makes women feel. So I will leave it with, imagine if they were laughing at the thought of holding down and punching and raping your wife or daughter?

I'll bet the founding fathers would be repulsed by the lengths to which "freedom of speech" is used today to defend the most vile, putrid behavior.

Disgusting, low-life scum.

I agree that it was disgusting. I agree that I would be further offended if the remarks were directed at a relative of mine. But my only point is that it's on satellite radio, and people pay to listen to their show, so they shouldn't be stifled or fired as a result. If it were on broadcast radio, then I wouldn't have a problem with the FCC imposing a fine if they felt it appropriate.

Dilloduck
05-11-2007, 05:39 PM
I agree that it was disgusting. I agree that I would be further offended if the remarks were directed at a relative of mine. But my only point is that it's on satellite radio, and people pay to listen to their show, so they shouldn't be stifled or fired as a result. If it were on broadcast radio, then I wouldn't have a problem with the FCC imposing a fine if they felt it appropriate.

I don't think they should be fired either. I think they should be invited for a public sit down with Condi. Maybe a nice dinner too. Then they could explain to her in front of the cameras why they thought this was such a great idea.

jimnyc
05-11-2007, 05:44 PM
I don't think they should be fired either. I think they should be invited for a public sit down with Condi. Maybe a nice dinner too. Then they could explain to her in front of the cameras why they thought this was such a great idea.

I will agree with the earlier post as well, Condi would outwit the 3 of them in a heartbeat. But these guys would be apologetic, explain their reasoning, take their humiliation - and use it to their advantage, not against Condi, but for ratings!

BTW - it wasn't an "idea", it happened sort of spur of the moment when a homeless guy said it. That's why they apologized. They definitely should not have egged him on. No doubt it was inappropriate and offensive, but it wasn't a planned attack.

I'm biased as a huge O&A fan, and an even bigger fan of Jim Norton (who wasn't involved in this). But as much as I love them, that doesn't mean I agree with them.

Nienna
05-11-2007, 06:29 PM

Right... if supporting a ban on partial birth abortion, or even simply voting for Bush is considered by some feminists to be advocating rape, then how come they are not crying foul with this truly disgusting display?

Doniston
05-11-2007, 06:57 PM
First of all, the race bait twins don't see Condi as black enough to come to her defense.

Second, those sons a bitches should be arrested. It IS against the law to make verbal threats against someone, and that's what I'd call what they did.It took a long time to open but I wanted to see what you were talking about. and I found NO threats. A desire, to be sure, but no threats. In any event it was Crass and unacceptable. and they shoud definitely be ashamed, but it still was not a threat.

Kathianne
05-11-2007, 07:03 PM
I will agree with the earlier post as well, Condi would outwit the 3 of them in a heartbeat. But these guys would be apologetic, explain their reasoning, take their humiliation - and use it to their advantage, not against Condi, but for ratings!

BTW - it wasn't an "idea", it happened sort of spur of the moment when a homeless guy said it. That's why they apologized. They definitely should not have egged him on. No doubt it was inappropriate and offensive, but it wasn't a planned attack.

I'm biased as a huge O&A fan, and an even bigger fan of Jim Norton (who wasn't involved in this). But as much as I love them, that doesn't mean I agree with them.

Me too. They were wrong, in essence. Yet they were wrong as Imus was wrong. They should apologize and avoid such in the future. (Damn, I'm sounding very Catholic here.) Fired over this? No. Ratings, yes. I wouldn't listen to them, anymore than I'd listen to Imus or Stern.

Abbey Marie
05-11-2007, 07:24 PM
Me too. They were wrong, in essence. Yet they were wrong as Imus was wrong. They should apologize and avoid such in the future. (Damn, I'm sounding very Catholic here.) Fired over this? No. Ratings, yes. I wouldn't listen to them, anymore than I'd listen to Imus or Stern.

I can't equate their wrong with Imus'. A racial slur just doesn't compare with laughing and describing the desire to forcibly rape and beat a woman.

I'm curious, do those that think this is fine feel the same if the person he talked about raping was 16 year sold? 10? 5?

jimnyc
05-11-2007, 07:29 PM
I'm curious, do those that think this is fine feel the same if the person he talked about raping was 16 year sold? 10? 5?

I didn't necessarily say what transpired was fine, and I disagree with it myself, I just don't think action should be taken over it.

And yes, I believe it would be much different if they said it about a child.

Dilloduck
05-11-2007, 07:29 PM
I can't equate their wrong with Imus'. A racial slur just doesn't compare with laughing and describing the desire to forcibly rape and beat a woman.

The humor excuse ain't cutting it anymore---It's hatred in disguise and these guys need to be challenged on it along with all the other entertainers who think we believe they are just doing it for "grins'.

Abbey Marie
05-11-2007, 07:31 PM
The humor excuse ain't cutting it anymore---It's hatred in disguise an these guys need to be challenged on it along with all the other entertainers who think we believe they are just doing it for "grins'.

:clap:

Abbey Marie
05-11-2007, 07:35 PM
I didn't necessarily say what transpired was fine, and I disagree with it myself, I just don't think action should be taken over it.

I know you didn't say that, Jim, and I am glad that you are disturbed by it.

I don't think the arguments in favor of letting it be are really any different for a child, though. They are still on satellite radio, still doing a humor show, and I assume still protected by, IMO, our currently warped view of free speech. The fact that it is a child adds another level of disgust to it, but what else has changed? They aren't actually doing anything to anyone, right?

Kathianne
05-11-2007, 07:54 PM

They are all 'shock jocks.' I don't listen to any of them. Many ignorant people do however, mostly male from what I've read of the demographics. I doubt that the majority that listen agree with them, but sure there could be kooks that take them seriously, just like the left with the bush in a bullseye. That's the job of the Secret Service and FBI.

Abbey Marie
05-16-2007, 01:04 AM
XM has finally taken action:

XM Satellite Radio Suspends Opie & Anthony for 30 Days

From an XM Press Release:
WASHINGTON and NEW YORK, May 15 PRNewswire-FirstCall

XM Radio announced today that the company has suspended Gregg "Opie" Hughes and Anthony Cumia, hosts of "The Opie & Anthony Show" and ceased broadcast of the show for 30 days, effective immediately.

XM Radio deplored the comments aired on "The Opie & Anthony Show" last week. At the time, the company strongly expressed its views to Opie and Anthony, and they issued an immediate apology.

Comments made by Opie and Anthony on yesterday's broadcast put into question whether they appreciate the seriousness of the matter. The management of XM Radio decided to suspend Opie and Anthony to make clear that our on-air talent must take seriously the responsibility that creative freedom requires of them.

http://xmradio.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=press_releases&item=1452

nevadamedic
05-16-2007, 01:17 AM

It should be the same as someone threatning do it to a child. Rape is Rape. It is uncalled for to joke about doing that to ANYONE, man woman or child. This definatly crossed the line on free speech. Also I dont care if you like or hate someone, there are things you don't EVER joke about and sexual assault and battery on a woman is definatly at the top of the list.

Psychoblues
05-16-2007, 01:23 AM
I have already revealed my intuitions about shock jocks, censorship and entertainment in my interview with jimnyc a few weeks ago. But, really, it's about capitalism isn't it? When the shock jocks start reversing the upward profit margin they subsequently start digging their own graves, don't they? Lord knows I am a cat of nine lives and have been buried numerous times for exactly the same.

XM Radio announced today that the company has suspended Gregg "Opie" Hughes and Anthony Cumia, hosts of "The Opie & Anthony Show" and ceased broadcast of the show for 30 days, effective immediately.

XM Radio deplored the comments aired on "The Opie & Anthony Show" last week. At the time, the company strongly expressed its views to Opie and Anthony, and they issued an immediate apology.

Comments made by Opie and Anthony on yesterday's broadcast put into question whether they appreciate the seriousness of the matter. The management of XM Radio decided to suspend Opie and Anthony to make clear that our on-air talent must take seriously the responsibility that creative freedom requires of them.

There is a huge difference in reveling in the message and revealing innermost and completely insane thought patterns. Some get it and some don't. Fuck them that don't.

nevadamedic
05-16-2007, 01:44 AM

Suspension is not enough, they need to be taken off the air.

Psychoblues
05-16-2007, 02:02 AM
See what I mean?

Suspension is not enough, they need to be taken off the air.

It's capitalism pure and unadulterated by governmental intervention!!!!!!!

KarlMarx
05-16-2007, 05:54 AM
They are all 'shock jocks.' I don't listen to any of them. Many ignorant people do however, mostly male from what I've read of the demographics. I doubt that the majority that listen agree with them, but sure there could be kooks that take them seriously, just like the left with the bush in a bullseye. That's the job of the Secret Service and FBI.
I'd like to add that making a threat against the President or cabinet officers (e.g. the Secretary of State) is a federal offense.

diuretic
05-16-2007, 06:31 AM
I'd like to add that making a threat against the President or cabinet officers (e.g. the Secretary of State) is a federal offense.

And joking about rape is an offence against ordinary decency.

dan
05-16-2007, 10:16 AM
I, too, am biased on this one since I'm an O&A fan. Thing is, if you listen to the show and at least understand what they're doing (not necessarily condone it), this does not seem like THAT big of an offense. Their style is "cringe humor", they specifically cross the border of common decency in order to shock. Does it make them terrible people? Yeah, but it's also often very funny. Personally, I didn't find this bit funny at all, but it wasn't worth suspending them over.

First of all, as has been stated, it was a spontaneous bit, if anybody should have been suspended, it should have been the producer who allowed a homeless man into the studio, I sincerely doubt that O&A have 100% administrative control over their studio at all times. I think all this is is XM catering to the moral majority in order to boost sales, or at least keep their current sales. As Jim said, if they didn't want O&A to be extreme, they shouldn't have bragged about how their radio is completely uncensored. And naming that channel 201 Extreme probably wasn't a good idea either.

And, I do see them getting booted eventually. Imus set a prescedent that will be felt throughout all forms of public expression, from radio to TV to movies. The message now is, do what you want, unless you offend the wrong people.