PDA

View Full Version : How to Cope With Summer Headaches

Shadow
07-31-2011, 02:10 PM
Kind of an interesting article. Most people who get migraines probably already know that the foods listed are considered "triggers". I think the only thing I really learned from it is that MSG is added to alot of things I didn't know it was in...BBQ sauce for one. I will have remember to check labels now. MSG is a killer for me.

You've stuck your toes in the sand and fired up the grill. The burgers are sizzling. An ice-cold Corona and a panoply of toppings awaits. Sounds like the recipe for a perfect summer afternoon.
And the formula for a killer headache, it turns out.
Mind-numbing headaches are more likely to strike as the mercury rises, a recent Harvard University study says. The researchers found that for every 5°C increase in temperature, the risk of severe headache jumped by 7.5 percent. That's bad news for the more than 8 percent of American men who suffer from migraines or severe headaches—an ailment inversely correlated with age, according to a 2008 Centers for Disease Control report.
Avoid heat stroke: 5 Ways to stay cool when the mercury spikes (http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/avoid-heat-stroke/?cm_mmc=Yahoo_Health-_-How Cope With Summer Headaches-_-Article-_-Avoid Heat Stroke).

But the heat may not be the only perpetrator at play. Even the pickle on your burger—which contains headache-inducing nitrates—could be the source of your summertime brain pain. "Migraines are often triggered by a combination of things—whether it's food or alcohol or weather," says Alexander Mauskop, M.D., neurologist and director of the New York Headache Center. And these factors may spark more diffuse headaches in those who aren't migraine-prone, he says.
You shouldn't have to sacrifice summer fun for relief. Skipping meals can also trigger headaches, so when you sense an oncoming 'ache, make these simple food swaps instead.

http://health.yahoo.net/rodale/MH/how-to-cope-with-summer-headaches

red states rule
07-31-2011, 02:31 PM
Kind of an interesting article. Most people who get migraines probably already know that the foods listed are considered "triggers". I think the only thing I really learned from it is that MSG is added to alot of things I didn't know it was in...BBQ sauce for one. I will have remember to check labels now. MSG is a killer for me.

You've stuck your toes in the sand and fired up the grill. The burgers are sizzling. An ice-cold Corona and a panoply of toppings awaits. Sounds like the recipe for a perfect summer afternoon.
And the formula for a killer headache, it turns out.
Mind-numbing headaches are more likely to strike as the mercury rises, a recent Harvard University study says. The researchers found that for every 5°C increase in temperature, the risk of severe headache jumped by 7.5 percent. That's bad news for the more than 8 percent of American men who suffer from migraines or severe headaches—an ailment inversely correlated with age, according to a 2008 Centers for Disease Control report.
Avoid heat stroke: 5 Ways to stay cool when the mercury spikes (http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/avoid-heat-stroke/?cm_mmc=Yahoo_Health-_-How Cope With Summer Headaches-_-Article-_-Avoid Heat Stroke).

But the heat may not be the only perpetrator at play. Even the pickle on your burger—which contains headache-inducing nitrates—could be the source of your summertime brain pain. "Migraines are often triggered by a combination of things—whether it's food or alcohol or weather," says Alexander Mauskop, M.D., neurologist and director of the New York Headache Center. And these factors may spark more diffuse headaches in those who aren't migraine-prone, he says.
You shouldn't have to sacrifice summer fun for relief. Skipping meals can also trigger headaches, so when you sense an oncoming 'ache, make these simple food swaps instead.

http://health.yahoo.net/rodale/MH/how-to-cope-with-summer-headaches

I got rid of my summer headaches (and fall, spring and winter headaches) when I obtained a divorce :laugh2:

Shadow
07-31-2011, 02:52 PM
Funny how that works.

My pain in the ass went away too. :thumb:

red states rule
07-31-2011, 02:57 PM
Funny how that works.

My pain in the ass went away too. :thumb:

The way I see it is this. Your first marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence.
Your second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.