PDA

View Full Version : How Important is someone else's Political Views to you?

chloe
08-04-2011, 11:46 AM
If you found out your spouse, signifigant other, or best friend voted for someone you LOATHE would you end the relationship?

They say Religion and Politics are the most heated topics at the dinner table I just wondered if it would effect a serious relationship for most people.

darin
08-04-2011, 11:54 AM
If you found out your spouse, signifigant other, or best friend voted for someone you LOATHE would you end the relationship?

They say Religion and Politics are the most heated topics at the dinner table I just wondered if it would effect a serious relationship for most people.

that's sorta weird.

if my wife up and voted for a liberal, her vote wouldn't bother me as much as her voting being a symptom of the mind/emotional problems which caused her to think a liberal can do ANYTHING good for the nation.

chloe
08-04-2011, 12:21 PM
My Aunt is a die hard liberal, and my ex husband the attorney voted for obama and he's also an extreme left winged liberal. When we were married I remember he used to have me read all this liberal propaganda and he would give talks and speeches liberal in nature. I remember thinking that alot of his views I was against but since he was my husband I just kept my mouth shut. Later when we divorced I remember feeling relieved that I can have my own conservative views without him constantly shoving his opinions on me.

I suppose I couldnt be real close to someone whose view were extremely opposite of mine politically or spiritually.

Does that make me narrowminded>?

Gaffer
08-04-2011, 12:33 PM
My Aunt is a die hard liberal, and my ex husband the attorney voted for obama and he's also an extreme left winged liberal. When we were married I remember he used to have me read all this liberal propaganda and he would give talks and speeches liberal in nature. I remember thinking that alot of his views I was against but since he was my husband I just kept my mouth shut. Later when we divorced I remember feeling relieved that I can have my own conservative views without him constantly shoving his opinions on me.

I suppose I couldnt be real close to someone whose view were extremely opposite of mine politically or spiritually.

Does that make me narrowminded>?

Sounds normal to me. I don't think two people could be happy together with extreme political and social differences between them.

chloe
08-04-2011, 12:39 PM
Sounds normal to me. I don't think two people could be happy together with extreme political and social differences between them.

someone told me it is narrowminded to not be able to be close to someone with opposite political views. However,

Gun control

abortion

welfare

taxes

marriage

religion

are all effected by Politics and if someone is drastically opposite of my beliefs I don't see how I can be close to them.

Gaffer
08-04-2011, 12:47 PM
someone told me it is narrowminded to not be able to be close to someone with opposite political views. However,

Gun control

abortion

welfare

taxes

marriage

religion

are all effected by Politics and if someone is drastically opposite of my beliefs I don't see how I can be close to them.

You couldn't be, you would have nothing in common. It's a house built on sand.

KartRacerBoy
08-04-2011, 02:00 PM
I'm sure it is an EXTREME exception but James Carville (a frightening looking but brilliant Dem political strategist who was HUGE in the 90s) was and still is married to a very pretty Repub political strategist). They've been married since at least the mid 90s and to my knowledge still are.

My wife and I tend to agree on political issues (even if not to the detail). On the other hand, I've got lifelong friends that are dead opposite than me in politics and have been for 30 yrs. Yet we're still best buds.

I think it comes down to whether you think someone's political beliefs make them a bad person. I've met folks with the same politics as me that I thought were complete asswipes. I have friends of the complete opposite poliitical persuasion that I think are great people that just see a different road. So while I can't say defintely that I could marry and live happily with a woman of opposite political temperment, I think I could. If she's smart enough to hold her own in a sharp debate, that is far sexier than a dumb woman merely agreeing with me merely to bed my sexy, middle aged ass.

Little-Acorn
08-04-2011, 02:26 PM
My wife is from mainland China. Born and raised there, she was in Beijing in college when Tian An Men square uprising happened. She came to the US as a student shortly afterward, to the Univ of Kentucky, and then qualified for her Green Card under a program pushed thru by Bush 41, for students who were in Beijing during the uprising and came here during a certain period afterward (she made it by two days).

When I went to her place to pick her up for our first date many moons ago, I found her reading a book about Chairman Mao.

Don't know if she ever intended to convert me, but now she votes solid conservative (that's different from Republican). And when we went to visit China two years ago, you should have heard the lecture she gave to a bunch of her friends about the advantages and freedoms of living in the United States. A solid 35 minutes, barely pausing for breath.

I think her first awakening to the light, was shortly after that Chinese fighter bonked our C-130 surveillance plane, which then crash-landed in China (the fighter plane crashed too, killing its pilot). She was furiously telling me how the eeevil US transport plane (propeller-driven) had chased down the helpless (supersonic) jet fighter and rammed it out of the sky. I calmly pointed out that the fighter pilot was a hot dog who had harassed other US surveillance planes and was an accident waiting to happen, but she was having none of it. As we went around and around on it, a report came on the TV news, with pictures from previous US surveillance flight crews. They were videos taken from inside the US plane, looking out the windows and showing a swept-wing jet fighter with markings identical to this one, circling VERY closely around the US plane, passing directly in front of it and "bumping" it by letting its wake hit the US plane, etc. She stopped yelling at me and watched the report silently. I didn't hear any more talk about helpless fighters after that.

Later we got Fox News channel when it finally came to our cable system, but she kept watching ABC and CNN. When Obama started running for President, she told me how wonderful he was (according to all her friends). But she also started looking over my shoulder as I watched Fox, and soon told me she was completely astonished to hear about Bill Ayers, Al Sharpton, and the rantings of Jeremiah Wright. She had watched the other stations closely, and never heard a word about any of that. After seeing some of the Wright videos, she decided there as no way she'd ever vote for someone who sat in a church for 20 years of that... and then denied it.

The moral of the story here is, don't just dump someone whom you find has silly leftist ideals. The truth comes to many (sorry I can't say "all") of us in time. And it's good for you to be there when it happens.

red states rule
08-04-2011, 03:52 PM
My GF is liberal on alot of issues and we seldom talk politics. Some of her friends are far left loons and I have gotten into it with them on occassion

One of her friends told her we would never make it. She could not understand how she could be with a - gasp - conservative. She said it would never last

Well a few months ago she got married.

To a conservative and he listens to Rush

No, I will not tell her it will will never last :laugh2:

ConHog
08-04-2011, 06:06 PM
First of all. I would never have married my wife to begin with among other things, our political views are in line with each other. BUT we do occasionally disagree (she refuses to join me in ALWAYS being right) and on those occasions, I don't lose respect for her for disagreeing with me, because she does so in a respectful manner and she uses honestly and intelligence in forming her opinions. It's not differing opinions I don't like , it's refusing to be honest in the way you defend your opinion that bothers me. And THAT goes for conservatives AND liberals, and there are those on both sides who care nothing about honestly in debate.

Mr. P
08-04-2011, 11:16 PM

Birds of a feather flock together...Most of the time, anyway.

Gunny
08-05-2011, 05:19 AM
that's sorta weird.

if my wife up and voted for a liberal, her vote wouldn't bother me as much as her voting being a symptom of the mind/emotional problems which caused her to think a liberal can do ANYTHING good for the nation.

Good point. I'd say anyone voting for a Democrat these days is suspect in the brain housing group department.

Would I leave her? That would depend on her income and my outgo .... :D

ConHog
08-05-2011, 10:19 AM
Good point. I'd say anyone voting for a Democrat these days is suspect in the brain housing group department.

Would I leave her? That would depend on her income and my outgo .... :D

And how good she throws that ass. :D

chloe
08-05-2011, 10:26 AM
I can overlook alot, but there would be a few issues that I wouldn't compromise on and if that makes me narrowminded I don't mind:laugh2:

ConHog
08-05-2011, 11:34 AM
I can overlook alot, but there would be a few issues that I wouldn't compromise on and if that makes me narrowminded I don't mind:laugh2:

Giving head and doing anal never killed anyone. :laugh2:

chloe
08-05-2011, 11:40 AM

I guess that is political, but I am adamant about not wanting my man to give a blow or to take a penus in his ass.....but that's just me:rolleyes:

I ain't judging your choices......

Gaffer
08-05-2011, 11:48 AM

Yeah it has. A little thing called HIV.

ConHog
08-05-2011, 11:55 AM
I guess that is political, but I am adamant about not wanting my man to give a blow or to take a penus in his ass.....but that's just me:rolleyes:

I ain't judging your choices......

NEGGED for taking my perfectly funny remark and turning into something disgusting , but then pos repped for making fun of KartBoy

:laugh2:

chloe
08-05-2011, 12:01 PM
NEGGED for taking my perfectly funny remark and turning into something disgusting , but then pos repped for making fun of KartBoy

:laugh2:

I don't mind you negging me......take me down to china down....show me who the boss is:laugh2:

(To Conhog's wife, I'm kidden I'm kidden don't kick my ass girl)

ConHog
08-05-2011, 12:17 PM
I don't mind you negging me......take me down to china down....show me who the boss is:laugh2:

(To Conhog's wife, I'm kidden I'm kidden don't kick my ass girl)

LOL, it's all good, me and my wife are VERY secure in our marriage, We look , kid , and even mildly flirt without getting worked up about it.

Shoottothrill
08-05-2011, 01:46 PM
I think it depends on how far apart the differences are. I've never dated anybody that was that far removed from my own opinion, at least not to the extent of causing knock down, drag out arguments. It would definately be difficult to date anyone on one extreme or the other, if it's Code Pink or Christian Coalition. As long as there is some middle ground and it leads to healthy discussion I think it would be okay.

I have a female friend I've known for 20 years that I agree with the biggest part of the time, but there are a few issues we don't see eye to eye on. Even though it's not a marriage or a dating relationship, we have our debates and get through it fine. I do have an uncle that is the sterotypical target for Democrats. They say it, he believes it, job done. But I figure he's pushing 70, he's in bad health, and he doesn't vote anyway, so I just nod and smile.

Shadow
08-05-2011, 01:54 PM
I think it depends on how far apart the differences are. I've never dated anybody that was that far removed from my own opinion, at least not to the extent of causing knock down, drag out arguments. It would definately be difficult to date anyone on one extreme or the other, if it's Code Pink or Christian Coalition. As long as there is some middle ground and it leads to healthy discussion I think it would be okay.

I have a female friend I've known for 20 years that I agree with the biggest part of the time, but there are a few issues we don't see eye to eye on. Even though it's not a marriage or a dating relationship, we have our debates and get through it fine. I do have an uncle that is the sterotypical target for Democrats. They say it, he believes it, job done. But I figure he's pushing 70, he's in bad health, and he doesn't vote anyway, so I just nod and smile.

I agree with the highlighted part. I don't think I would be attracted to anyone that was totally opposite of my political views (and frankly I don't like fighting). So, if they have extreme views either way and are an 'in your face' type personality...It would probably be a turn off for me.