PDA

View Full Version : Food Stamps use reach new high

andrew2382
08-05-2011, 08:53 AM
hope you had a great birthday with Kanye West, Mr. President...The Dow fell off a cliff ,Unemployment is still over 9% and 50 million people are on food stamps. You empty fucking suit

http://money.cnn.com/2011/08/04/pf/food_stamps_record_high/index.htm?iid=HP_River

Nearly 15% of the U.S. population relied on food stamps in May, according to the United States Department of Agriculture.
The number of Americans using the government's Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) -- more commonly referred to as food stamps -- shot to an all-time high of 45.8 million in May, the USDA reported. That's up 12% from a year ago, and 34% higher than two years ago

fj1200
08-05-2011, 09:00 AM
... the government's Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)

I see they came up with a snappy ;) new name... you know to remove the stigma of food stamps.

andrew2382
08-05-2011, 09:05 AM
can you blame them...would you rather go into a store and say do you take food stamps card or the new hip do you take my snap card....sounds cool and hip but thats what this admin is all about i guess

fj1200
08-05-2011, 09:13 AM
... cool and hip...

Image, not results, pretty much sums up our situation.

ConHog
08-05-2011, 10:35 AM
can you blame them...would you rather go into a store and say do you take food stamps card or the new hip do you take my snap card....sounds cool and hip but thats what this admin is all about i guess

Not to rain on your bash Obama parade, but they were renamed to SNAP, or Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program, before Obama even thought about running for POTUS.

He's still an empty suit, but he had nothing to do with renaming food stamps.

And of all the waste in our government, this is one program I want left alone. If a single child that otherwise would have gone hungry gets fed through this program, I frankly don't care about the cost. Not to say that it shouldn't be ran as well as possible and that fraud should be prosecuted, but I'm fine with our government feeding those who need food.

andrew2382
08-05-2011, 01:14 PM
Not to rain on your bash Obama parade, but they were renamed to SNAP, or Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program, before Obama even thought about running for POTUS.

He's still an empty suit, but he had nothing to do with renaming food stamps.

And of all the waste in our government, this is one program I want left alone. If a single child that otherwise would have gone hungry gets fed through this program, I frankly don't care about the cost. Not to say that it shouldn't be ran as well as possible and that fraud should be prosecuted, but I'm fine with our government feeding those who need food.

Agreed, I am fine with governement feeding people as well...the root problem with this is why is there 50 million people on food stamps.

ConHog
08-05-2011, 01:17 PM
Agreed, I am fine with governement feeding people as well...the root problem with this is why is there 50 million people on food stamps.

sure, and i personally believe that is NOT something the government can fix.

andrew2382
08-05-2011, 01:20 PM

yes and no..

they can't fix it by handing out money to people but they can help remedy the problem by letting small business floruish by easing off regulation and taxes. That way more jobs can be created and people can't slowly get off these federal programs.

fj1200
08-05-2011, 01:21 PM

Sure, the government can "fix" it by removing itself from the process of "fixing" it.

ConHog
08-05-2011, 01:28 PM
Sure, the government can "fix" it by removing itself from the process of "fixing" it.

Well yes, that is of course true. If the government would actually admit that they aren't the solutions and stop meddling things might be different.

ConHog
08-05-2011, 01:35 PM
yes and no..

they can't fix it by handing out money to people but they can help remedy the problem by letting small business floruish by easing off regulation and taxes. That way more jobs can be created and people can't slowly get off these federal programs.

Actually, I DO believe that the government could have stimulated purchasing which would have increased demand which would have necessitated hiring IF instead of their silly stimulus crap box they instead would have given each American family $1M tax free. It would have cost less and dumped WAY more money into local economies (let's be honest no one would save that money) and I think we would have seen a HUGE dip in UE immediately as well as raising the standards of living of oh so many people.

That is a plan I could have got behind, not this bullshit of them giving billions to their little pet projects KNOWING that there would be little to no appreciable return on the investment.

Now, doing NOTHING may have been better than my proposal, but either would have been better than what we got.

fj1200
08-05-2011, 01:43 PM
... they instead would have given each American family $1M tax free. It would have cost less...

1 million per? I think that would have been a deficit buster.

Gaffer
08-05-2011, 01:53 PM
Now that's an interesting thought. Give each person in the country a million dollars. What would that do to the country? How would it effect people, businesses, the over all economy? Would it make money worthless?

ConHog
08-05-2011, 02:15 PM
1 million per? I think that would have been a deficit buster.

$1M per household, not per person. There are an estimated 78M households in the US

http://www.census.gov/prod/1/pop/p25-1129.pdf

Unless my math is wrong that is $7.8T.

Now add up all the bailouts and stimulus packages and tell me which plan would have been cheaper.

Thunderknuckles
08-05-2011, 02:31 PM
Now that's an interesting thought. Give each person in the country a million dollars. What would that do to the country? How would it effect people, businesses, the over all economy? Would it make money worthless?
They could have used the stimulus money and divided up for each citizen. The whole foreclosure mess would have been avoided as people paid off their homes, go on spending sprees, the banks get a mass influx of cash and no longer need a bailout, and the great recession never occurs.

I'm sure there's a logical reason not to give the stimulus money to the people but it sure seems like a simple thing to do up front.

ConHog
08-05-2011, 02:53 PM
They could have used the stimulus money and divided up for each citizen. The whole foreclosure mess would have been avoided as people paid off their homes, go on spending sprees, the banks get a mass influx of cash and no longer need a bailout, and the great recession never occurs.

I'm sure there's a logical reason not to give the stimulus money to the people but it sure seems like a simple thing to do up front.

Sure there's a logical reason. They doled the money out to those who could give them something in return. They don't care about fixing shit.

Gaffer
08-05-2011, 03:06 PM

I tend to think about unintended consequences. Like how would it effect the economy over the long haul. People would stop working, at least many people with low pay jobs. Companies would be hard pressed to find workers. At least until their money runs out. I think most people would squander their money and be broke within a few months.

The short term benefits are easy to see. The long term consequences not so easy. Like inflation. It's a good way to redistribute wealth.

ConHog
08-05-2011, 03:30 PM
I tend to think about unintended consequences. Like how would it effect the economy over the long haul. People would stop working, at least many people with low pay jobs. Companies would be hard pressed to find workers. At least until their money runs out. I think most people would squander their money and be broke within a few months.

The short term benefits are easy to see. The long term consequences not so easy. Like inflation. It's a good way to redistribute wealth.

OH , I quite agree, MOST people would spend their $1M in mere months. But that is the idea. so what if 50M of the 78M homes spent their $1M within month. That money would be back in the economy instead of in some greedy fat cat's bank account.

So, no I don't think every single family that received $1M would actually benfit from the money, because some people are just ignorant idiots who wouldn't take advantage of the opportunities $1M would give them; BUT the overall economy would have been help FAR more than the bucket of shit Obama threw our way did.

fj1200
08-05-2011, 03:55 PM
$1M per household, not per person. There are an estimated 78M households in the US

http://www.census.gov/prod/1/pop/p25-1129.pdf

Unless my math is wrong that is $7.8T.

Now add up all the bailouts and stimulus packages and tell me which plan would have been cheaper.

Try 78 trillion. I'm pretty sure the stimuli cost much less than 7.8 trillion anyway.

And I think this sums up Gaffer's unintended consequences issue.
t_LWQQrpSc4

red states rule
08-05-2011, 04:03 PM
What is wrong with you people? Don't you know food stamps is one of the biggest stimulus plans America has?

Don't believe me? Nancy Pelosi said it was true. So hell the more people on food satmps the better

<IFRAME height=349 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SI4ecR9gWj8" frameBorder=0 width=560 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

Gaffer
08-05-2011, 04:12 PM
Thanks FJ that's what I was thinking too. Inflation would be rampant, not to mention no one will want to work.

red states rule
08-05-2011, 04:13 PM
Thanks FJ that's what I was thinking too. Inflation would be rampant, not to mention no one will want to work.

We all may all be on welfare but hey, we will have Obamacare!

Gaffer
08-05-2011, 04:22 PM
We all may all be on welfare but hey, we will have Obamacare!

Just find a hospital that's open. No cleaning crews, no food preparation, few if any nurses. They're all home enjoying their million. :laugh:

red states rule
08-05-2011, 04:32 PM
Just find a hospital that's open. No cleaning crews, no food preparation, few if any nurses. They're all home enjoying their million. :laugh:

Would it look something like this?

http://www.strangepolitics.com/images/content/162306.jpg

Gaffer
08-05-2011, 04:41 PM
Would it look something like this?

http://www.strangepolitics.com/images/content/162306.jpg

That's the place.

Gunny
08-05-2011, 05:48 PM
hope you had a great birthday with Kanye West, Mr. President...The Dow fell off a cliff ,Unemployment is still over 9% and 50 million people are on food stamps. You empty fucking suit

http://money.cnn.com/2011/08/04/pf/food_stamps_record_high/index.htm?iid=HP_River

Nearly 15% of the U.S. population relied on food stamps in May, according to the United States Department of Agriculture.
The number of Americans using the government's Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) -- more commonly referred to as food stamps -- shot to an all-time high of 45.8 million in May, the USDA reported. That's up 12% from a year ago, and 34% higher than two years ago

This is a surprise?

ConHog
08-05-2011, 07:51 PM
[QUOTE=Gunny;482172]This is a surprise?[/QUOTE

Nothing Buffoon Obama does surprises me, well unless he actually did something that actually helped people who need help.