PDA

View Full Version : Self-defense situations

chloe
08-05-2011, 09:21 PM
If someone threeatened you with bodily harm and tried to rob you in public but say on a remote road, are you allowed to stab them legally?

Also would anyone actually be capable of stabbing someone who was only trying to rob them?

Gaffer
08-05-2011, 09:41 PM
You have a right to defend yourself. So there would be no problem with stabbing someone that's trying to rob you or do you harm. Stabbing is not the best way to do it tho. You want slash. That opens a big wound with lots of blood and will scare the attacker more. When stabbing, the knife is more likely to get lodged in the person. It's not like the movies at all. A straight razor is much more effective.

Someone trying to rob me can expect great bodily harm with the utmost prejudiced.

chloe
08-05-2011, 09:58 PM
You have a right to defend yourself. So there would be no problem with stabbing someone that's trying to rob you or do you harm. Stabbing is not the best way to do it tho. You want slash. That opens a big wound with lots of blood and will scare the attacker more. When stabbing, the knife is more likely to get lodged in the person. It's not like the movies at all. A straight razor is much more effective.

Someone trying to rob me can expect great bodily harm with the utmost prejudiced.

You mean like that machete I seen ya hold, only I doubt I could conceal that:laugh2:

Gaffer
08-05-2011, 10:06 PM
You mean like that machete I seen ya hold, only I doubt I could conceal that:laugh2:

Machete's are not very concealable. They are good for slashing tho. The scar is hardly visible any more.

chloe
08-05-2011, 10:18 PM
Machete's are not very concealable. They are good for slashing tho. The scar is hardly visible any more.

:laugh2: Indeed

ConHog
08-06-2011, 12:41 AM
If someone threeatened you with bodily harm and tried to rob you in public but say on a remote road, are you allowed to stab them legally?

Also would anyone actually be capable of stabbing someone who was only trying to rob them?

In general terms no, you could not legally kill someone who was robbing you. You can kill to defend your life (or the life of others), not your property.

Mr. P
08-06-2011, 12:55 AM

Stab em? HELL, I'd SHOOT EM!!!

Mr. P
08-06-2011, 01:38 AM
Stab em? HELL, I'd SHOOT EM!!!

Oh yeah, and just like this!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pcVDmX4ho4 :salute:

Thunderknuckles
08-06-2011, 01:48 AM
The key to all of this for me is being threatened in public. Threaten me in my own home and I say I reserve the right to take your life. Harsh yes, but that is the last line of defense and folks would do well to know that when they invade another person's home they could face death unlike the current bullshit laws that protect such an invader depending on which way they are facing.

Gunny
08-06-2011, 06:29 AM

:laugh:

Gunny
08-06-2011, 06:40 AM
The key to all of this for me is being threatened in public. Threaten me in my own home and I say I reserve the right to take your life. Harsh yes, but that is the last line of defense and folks would do well to know that when they invade another person's home they could face death unlike the current bullshit laws that protect such an invader depending on which way they are facing.

Also depends on which state you live in how ridiculous -- or not -- those laws are. The scenario in the OP is rather puzzling.

Can you legally stab someone in public if they're robbing you? Even considering the option of stabbing, IMO, means the attacker is not armed with a firearm. In which case, we're going to see how fast Bozo can run before any other option.

chloe
08-06-2011, 10:13 AM
I was saying if they threatened bodily harm while robbing you on a remote street. So they are going to beat the holy hell out of you and rob you. You happen to be carrying a nice knife, I just wondered in that scenario if legally you could stab them, and also personally would you mentally/emotionally be capable of stabbing them ?

This happened to someone and it posed the question.

Gunny
08-06-2011, 10:30 AM
I was saying if they threatened bodily harm while robbing you on a remote street. So they are going to beat the holy hell out of you and rob you. You happen to be carrying a nice knife, I just wondered in that scenario if legally you could stab them, and also personally would you mentally/emotionally be capable of stabbing them ?

This happened to someone and it posed the question.

There are just too many variables to give a pat answer. It depends a lot on the state you live in, and your physical and mental conditioning vs your attacker's. I would say that legally, if you could prove self defense (remember, you said remote area -- I take that as alone), you could use your knife to defend yourself.

I personally, given no other option, would be more than happy to use Gaffer's machete.:laugh:

Gaffer
08-06-2011, 10:42 AM
A robber threatening you with bodily harm to steal something of yours has crossed a line. You have every right to defend yourself with any means at your disposal. Even lethal means. It's not a matter of fairness in a fight. It's a matter of self defense.

If you stab him and he falls and stops being a threat, the fights over. If you jump on him and continue stabbing him you are no longer a victim. It's all about when to stop.

ConHog
08-06-2011, 01:56 PM
There are just too many variables to give a pat answer. It depends a lot on the state you live in, and your physical and mental conditioning vs your attacker's. I would say that legally, if you could prove self defense (remember, you said remote area -- I take that as alone), you could use your knife to defend yourself.

I personally, given no other option, would be more than happy to use Gaffer's machete.:laugh:

The key is, and this is pretty standard in most states, you may use deadly force if you are reasonably afraid for your own life, or the life of others. In other words , if a scenario occurs where it is pretty obvious that your attacker was no danger to anyone's life, you don't have the right to kill them. That's why you can't just open a door and blow someone away if they are sneaking around your property, but if they are in your house with a gun, then it is no longer murder. Just for example.

SassyLady
08-06-2011, 11:52 PM
If I'm being threatened I don't ask myself what is legal or not ... I kinda zone out and go for the jugular. I'm like a grizzly ... I don't stop until the opponent is in the fetal position and even then only if I know they aren't getting up.

I would probably get myself killed because I am a fighter ... not a runner, because I react too fast.

Gunny
08-09-2011, 08:13 AM
If I'm being threatened I don't ask myself what is legal or not ... I kinda zone out and go for the jugular. I'm like a grizzly ... I don't stop until the opponent is in the fetal position and even then only if I know they aren't getting up.

I would probably get myself killed because I am a fighter ... not a runner, because I react too fast.

One does not have to be just a fighter or just a runner. One can be both. More important than being either, is knowing which one suits the situation. I see no reason to screw around and risk possible injury or death to either myself or the attacker if I've got an open road and the attacker doesn't have a "reach out and touch someone" type weapon.

SassyLady
08-10-2011, 11:23 PM
One does not have to be just a fighter or just a runner. One can be both. More important than being either, is knowing which one suits the situation. I see no reason to screw around and risk possible injury or death to either myself or the attacker if I've got an open road and the attacker doesn't have a "reach out and touch someone" type weapon.

Guess I didn't make myself clear .... I automatically go into fight mode ... comes from being abused as a child and fighting for my life on a few occasions.

But, I'll tell you what absolutely causes me to freeze and find myself in that place where the mind is saying "do something" and the body is saying "can't move". When I found my husband with another woman .... I couldn't even scream. Couldn't move ... it was like being paralyzed. But, you let someone smack me and then it's like I turn into a little Tasmanian Devil.

chloe
08-10-2011, 11:41 PM
Guess I didn't make myself clear .... I automatically go into fight mode ... comes from being abused as a child and fighting for my life on a few occasions.

But, I'll tell you what absolutely causes me to freeze and find myself in that place where the mind is saying "do something" and the body is saying "can't move". When I found my husband with another woman .... I couldn't even scream. Couldn't move ... it was like being paralyzed. But, you let someone smack me and then it's like I turn into a little Tasmanian Devil.

I don't know why but when I have been hit by men I cower down, the only time I remember fighting back was when the kid in school was "calling me out" and then a couple of times with my sister we had a physical fight. But when my husband used to hit me I never fought back. thinking about it now it seems strange that I just let him hit me.