PDA

View Full Version : Obama offers waivers to all 50 states from Federals schools testing requirements

Little-Acorn
08-08-2011, 03:13 PM
http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/duncan-states-will-get-school-testing-wa

(http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/duncan-states-will-get-school-testing-wa)Obama Administration Exempting Schools From Federal Law’s Testing Mandate Monday, August 08, 2011 by DONNA GORDON BLANKINSHIP, Associated Press (AP) -

State and local education officials have been begging the federal government for relief from student testing mandates in the federal No Child Left Behind law, but school starts soon and Congress still hasn't answered the call.Education Secretary Arne Duncan says he will announce a new waiver system Monday to give schools a break.The plan to offer waivers to all 50 states, as long as they meet other school reform requirements, comes at the request of President Barack Obama, Duncan said. More details on the waivers will come in September, he said. (In other words, we'll have to pass the waivers to find out what's in them. -LA)The goal of the No Child Left Behind law is to have every student proficient in math and reading by 2014. States have been required to bring more students up to the math and reading standards each year, based on tests that usually take place each spring. The step-by-step ramping up of the 9-year-old law has caused heartburn in states and most school districts, because more and more schools are labeled as failures as too few of their students meet testing goals.(Note to the Obama administration: The problem isn't that they are being labeled as failures. The problem is that they are failing. They keep turning out students who can barely write their names, can't read a job application, can't add up the change in their pockets. Has anyone stopped to think of the harm this does to the students trying to make it in a civilized world?Obama is merely offering to remove the labels, instead of fixing the failures.Gotta love that "leadership", eh? - LA)

Little-Acorn
08-08-2011, 03:43 PM
Or should that read, "Obama offers waviers to all 57 states....." ? :D

Gaffer
08-08-2011, 03:52 PM
Or should that read, "Obama offers waviers to all 57 states....." ? :D

Did he ever visit them all, as I recall he had a couple more to go. Seems he got left behind.

ConHog
08-08-2011, 04:31 PM
I am ambivalent on this. On the one hand , it isn't entirely fair to label a school as a fail because a certain percentage of their students don't pass some proficiency tests, but on the other hand, how god damned hard are the tests?

I'll tell you what I would actually like to do. Start fining parents when their kids don't pass the tests. And yes I'm serious. It costs roughly $12K a year for the state to educate your child and the motherfucker can't even read or write to within 3 grades of his own grade? You're wasting tax dollars. $2K fine. Bet little Johnny would get his ass to passing those tests then.

Of course kids with real disabilities are another matter entirely. But too lazy to try is not a disability people.

Gaffer
08-08-2011, 04:36 PM
I am ambivalent on this. On the one hand , it isn't entirely fair to label a school as a fail because a certain percentage of their students don't pass some proficiency tests, but on the other hand, how god damned hard are the tests?

I'll tell you what I would actually like to do. Start fining parents when their kids don't pass the tests. And yes I'm serious. It costs roughly $12K a year for the state to educate your child and the motherfucker can't even read or write to within 3 grades of his own grade? You're wasting tax dollars. $2K fine. Bet little Johnny would get his ass to passing those tests then.

Of course kids with real disabilities are another matter entirely. But too lazy to try is not a disability people.

The only problem I have with that is if you have a lazy kid that doesn't care if his parents are fined. Especially early teens. It's not always the parents fault.

ConHog
08-08-2011, 04:43 PM
The only problem I have with that is if you have a lazy kid that doesn't care if his parents are fined. Especially early teens. It's not always the parents fault.

I've been on our local school board for 12 years I've never seen a child of motivated parents fail. I have seen MANY children who could have done much better if their parents would have participated at all. So no it isn't always a parent's fault per se. But they DO bear part of the responsibility. I'd say fully 90% of parents view school as nothing more than a daycare. Drop your kids off, pick them up, and who cares what they did or how they did it during the day? And heaven forbid don't ever get involved unless your little precious angel gets in trouble at school.

I mean seriously now, how hard is it to pass all your classes, and test out as proficient?

BTW - back in my day , our parents motivated us early - fail a course and get your ass whipped. In fact in my home Cs weren't even acceptable. Neither were they for my son. My daughter will be different because she has special needs, but this new ADD bullshit. That's called bust that kid's ass if he can't pay attention. Problem solved.

Little-Acorn
08-08-2011, 05:14 PM
but on the other hand, how god damned hard are the tests?

In a lot of schools, the kids pass the tests without problem.

That's how god damned hard they are.

ConHog
08-08-2011, 07:47 PM
In a lot of schools, the kids pass the tests without problem.

That's how god damned hard they are.

Exactly, and in some, and I would dare say that MOST do, kids can pass the kids no problem them nearly all should be able. And again, we are not talking about kids who have real special needs.

Trigg
08-08-2011, 08:04 PM
I am not a proponant of no child left behind.

The schools simply began teaching the test which pretty much means teaching nothing.

Instead of challenging students they simply slowed down the entire curriculum. When my daughter was in 7th grade the teacher had her helping the slower students instead of letting her work ahead or giving her harder work. How does that do her any good????

ConHog
08-08-2011, 10:05 PM
I am not a proponant of no child left behind.

The schools simply began teaching the test which pretty much means teaching nothing.

Instead of challenging students they simply slowed down the entire curriculum. When my daughter was in 7th grade the teacher had her helping the slower students instead of letting her work ahead or giving her harder work. How does that do her any good????

Unfortunately it does not. Which is why I wish that school would go to a two track system. One for college bound kids, one for career bound kids. Simple fact that college isn't for everyone, and that some kids simply have no business being in the classes that are geared for those who are headed in that direction. Of course that would hurt some feelings if little Johnny was told that he hadn't taken his studies seriously enough to be allowed into the college bound courses, but too bad.

08-09-2011, 12:46 AM
Does he actually have the power to let States, People, or Businesses ignore Federal Law?

Trigg
08-09-2011, 03:38 PM
Unfortunately it does not. Which is why I wish that school would go to a two track system. One for college bound kids, one for career bound kids. Simple fact that college isn't for everyone, and that some kids simply have no business being in the classes that are geared for those who are headed in that direction. Of course that would hurt some feelings if little Johnny was told that he hadn't taken his studies seriously enough to be allowed into the college bound courses, but too bad.

That is sort of what they do in Finland. Kids have to test into highschool. If their grades aren't high enough they go to a trade school instead. Every kid in their highschools are college bound, so slowing down of the studies.

ConHog
08-09-2011, 03:49 PM
That is sort of what they do in Finland. Kids have to test into highschool. If their grades aren't high enough they go to a trade school instead. Every kid in their highschools are college bound, so slowing down of the studies.

It will never happen hear b/c liberals have convinced everyone that every person should go to college. Even the ones who don't have the aptitude or the desire to do so.

Trigg
08-09-2011, 03:58 PM
It will never happen hear b/c liberals have convinced everyone that every person should go to college. Even the ones who don't have the aptitude or the desire to do so.

It would be considered racist as well since low income and minority students are the ones who do the worst on standerdized testing and are the least represented in college.

ConHog
08-09-2011, 03:59 PM
It would be considered racist as well since low income and minority students are the ones who do the worst on standerdized testing and are the least represented in college.

To which I would respond that stupid and lazy are not races . lol

Nukeman
08-10-2011, 07:14 AM
It would be considered racist as well since low income and minority students are the ones who do the worst on standerdized testing and are the least represented in college.This is something I've never understood. How is a standardized test, racist?? I mean last I checked 2+2=4 and a-z is still the alphebet. I mean how can facts and constants be racist?? How is it that 2 kids going through the same school being taught the SAME thing, and if one is black the standardizes test is some how racist if he scores lower? HOW is that??

Gunny
08-10-2011, 07:39 AM
http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/duncan-states-will-get-school-testing-wa

(http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/duncan-states-will-get-school-testing-wa)Obama Administration Exempting Schools From Federal Law’s Testing Mandate Monday, August 08, 2011 by DONNA GORDON BLANKINSHIP, Associated Press (AP) -

State and local education officials have been begging the federal government for relief from student testing mandates in the federal No Child Left Behind law, but school starts soon and Congress still hasn't answered the call.Education Secretary Arne Duncan says he will announce a new waiver system Monday to give schools a break.The plan to offer waivers to all 50 states, as long as they meet other school reform requirements, comes at the request of President Barack Obama, Duncan said. More details on the waivers will come in September, he said. (In other words, we'll have to pass the waivers to find out what's in them. -LA)The goal of the No Child Left Behind law is to have every student proficient in math and reading by 2014. States have been required to bring more students up to the math and reading standards each year, based on tests that usually take place each spring. The step-by-step ramping up of the 9-year-old law has caused heartburn in states and most school districts, because more and more schools are labeled as failures as too few of their students meet testing goals.(Note to the Obama administration: The problem isn't that they are being labeled as failures. The problem is that they are failing. They keep turning out students who can barely write their names, can't read a job application, can't add up the change in their pockets. Has anyone stopped to think of the harm this does to the students trying to make it in a civilized world?Obama is merely offering to remove the labels, instead of fixing the failures.Gotta love that "leadership", eh? - LA)

What a shock, Congress hasn't addressed yet another issue in a timely manner. How long has this "No Child Left Behind" law been on the books? But then, why should that matter. They STILL can't get a budget in on time and that's only been a requirement for 200+ years.