PDA

View Full Version : If you could change careers

chloe
08-09-2011, 12:44 PM
would you and what would you decide to go into?

PostmodernProphet
08-09-2011, 01:44 PM
I just got an email.....a few months ago a young accountant from our church packed up his wife and two children to spend six months running an orphanage for HIV positive children in Lesotho, Africa while the director took a sabbatical......

apparently he's happy with the change, since the email reports the director has decided to retire and this young family is going to stay and be the new directors......

talk about changing careers.....

chloe
08-09-2011, 07:50 PM
That's pretty neat, I had always wished I could work for the red cross and travel to other countries helping poor people or people devastated in war or natural disasters.

KarlMarx
08-09-2011, 08:38 PM
I like what I do, although the cuts in the defense budget have made the past few years very hard. However, if I were to give someone advice about what to go into, I'd tell them the medical field. That seems to be a growth industry now a days. The computer field is not what it used to be. It used to be that a company needed an army of programmers to maintain their systems. Nowadays, a lot of companies are buying software off of the shelf. Developers are now in other parts of the world working for less than their American counterparts. A lot of software development is now drag and drop. I'm fortunate that I work for a defense contractor since you can't outsource the software and have to be a citizen.

chloe
08-09-2011, 11:52 PM
I like what I do, although the cuts in the defense budget have made the past few years very hard. However, if I were to give someone advice about what to go into, I'd tell them the medical field. That seems to be a growth industry now a days. The computer field is not what it used to be. It used to be that a company needed an army of programmers to maintain their systems. Nowadays, a lot of companies are buying software off of the shelf. Developers are now in other parts of the world working for less than their American counterparts. A lot of software development is now drag and drop. I'm fortunate that I work for a defense contractor since you can't outsource the software and have to be a citizen.

SO if you could do any work you wanted you would just stick with what you have been doing?

ConHog
08-09-2011, 11:58 PM
I'd be a gigolo.

Not gay.

chloe
08-10-2011, 12:03 AM
I'd be a gigolo.

Not gay.

can we see a pciture of you when you were 26?

Kathianne
08-10-2011, 12:24 AM
After I had my brain reprogrammed to be super math smart, I'd be a nuclear engineer. I think I'd like to work on the connections with reducing the use of fossil fuels for home heating! ;) Sort of a mini-nuke plant for every county.

chloe
08-10-2011, 12:29 AM
After I had my brain reprogrammed to be super math smart, I'd be a nuclear engineer. I think I'd like to work on the connections with reducing the use of fossil fuels for home heating! ;) Sort of a mini-nuke plant for every county.

I believe you could ! :salute:

Kathianne
08-10-2011, 01:05 AM
I believe you could ! :salute:

So where do I go for the brain reprogramming? ;)

red states rule
08-10-2011, 03:35 AM
op-ed writer and political commentator. I would love to take on the likes of a Chris Matthews or Rev Al on DNCTV

darin
08-10-2011, 10:23 AM
I'd run a pub. Until that got boring.

Missileman
08-10-2011, 10:33 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperion_Power_Generation ... neighborhood sized

ConHog
08-10-2011, 10:33 AM
I'd be Drew Barrymore's panties.

Kathianne
08-10-2011, 11:47 AM
[/URL][URL]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperion_Power_Generation (http://%3Ca%20href=%22http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperion_Power_Generation%22%20target=%22_blank%22 %3Ehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperion_Power_Generation%3C/a%3E) ... neighborhood sized

You are trying to confuse the wee brain? Link doesn't work for me.

Missileman
08-10-2011, 11:53 AM
You are trying to confuse the wee brain? Link doesn't work for me.

hmmm...the one you pasted works, but the original does not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperion_Power_Generation

fj1200
08-10-2011, 11:54 AM
Is the job of Benevolent Dictator open?

Kathianne
08-10-2011, 12:07 PM
hmmm...the one you pasted works, but the original does not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperion_Power_Generation

:2up:

Gaffer
08-10-2011, 12:10 PM
Is the job of Benevolent Dictator open?

I'll arm wrestle you for it. :laugh:

PostmodernProphet
08-10-2011, 01:51 PM

yep, that's how wars always start.....

fj1200
08-10-2011, 02:36 PM

:laugh: I'm sure I would lose unless I force one of my charges to do it on threat of bodily harm if he loses. Or would you just like to be head of the armed forces ;) ;) ;) ...

Trigg
08-10-2011, 08:43 PM
I'd become a pawn shop owner.

I might not make much, but I'd be surrounded by money and gold.

KartRacerBoy
08-10-2011, 10:12 PM
I would have been a mechanical engineer so I could design tires and then test them on the track.

ConHog
08-10-2011, 10:54 PM
I would have been a mechanical engineer so I could design tires and then test them on the track.

mechanical engineers don't also do duty as test track drivers?

KartRacerBoy
08-10-2011, 11:00 PM
mechanical engineers don't also do duty as test track drivers?

I've met two people who are engineers and design tires. Both get to test them on track but one has a bit more gravitas in the testing arena becz he is an SCCA autocross national champion.

chloe
08-10-2011, 11:10 PM
I'd be a housewife:laugh2:

KartRacerBoy
08-10-2011, 11:20 PM

I'm essesntially that right now. I've been unemployed for 1 1/2 yrs in an area with 15% unemployment.

It sucks being without a job but being able to be home with my 8 yr old daughter has been great. When I got through a series of interviews and had the prospect of a good job, my daughter told my wife she didn't want me to get the job cz she'd miss me. Best compliment I've ever received.

chloe
08-10-2011, 11:21 PM
I'm essesntially that right now. I've been unemployed for 1 1/2 yrs in an area with 15% unemployment.

It sucks being without a job but being able to be home with my 8 yr old daughter has been great. When I got through a series of interviews and had the prospect of a good job, my daughter told my wife she didn't want me to get the job cz she'd miss me. Best compliment I've ever received.

I always felt grateful that I got to be a housewife until my kids were 6 & 3

red states rule
08-11-2011, 04:25 AM

Where were you when I needed you? :laugh2:

Gunny
08-11-2011, 06:59 AM
would you and what would you decide to go into?

If we'd get rid of this waste of natural resources we have for a President I me be able to just HAVE a career. I'd like to change mine from living on my retirement check back to being an electrician. I actually enjoyed it.

chloe
08-11-2011, 10:49 AM
If we'd get rid of this waste of natural resources we have for a President I me be able to just HAVE a career. I'd like to change mine from living on my retirement check back to being an electrician. I actually enjoyed it.

My Uncle was an electrician for DuPont in Delaware before he retired, he loved it too.

ConHog
08-11-2011, 11:05 AM

I AM a house husband. By choice. I retired from the military last year after 22 years. Was eligible to stay in longer, just didn't want to. I have had three job offers in the last year. But between my retirement and my wife's salary, we decided I've earned the "rest." I put rest in quotes because running a househould isn't exactly restful.

chloe
08-11-2011, 11:10 AM
I AM a house husband. By choice. I retired from the military last year after 22 years. Was eligible to stay in longer, just didn't want to. I have had three job offers in the last year. But between my retirement and my wife's salary, we decided I've earned the "rest." I put rest in quotes because running a househould isn't exactly restful.

Oh well it's restful once you don't have little kids to tend to. When I was married I took care of our kids and my ex husbands grandma who was in her 80's. I really Loved it !!!

After he left and divorced us I had to work alot of call center jobs because I never got an education and the last grade I had completed was 9th because I dropped out in 10th grade. Since then I have a GED and some community college, but now I am in my middle 40's and I spent all my adult life just taking care of my kids needs and paying bills.

I wish i could finish school and work in a field that takes care of the rights of elderly people or poor people, yeah I know that sounds liberal huh, but there is an instinctive part of me that really cares about the down trodden and powerless folks like elderly placed in state homes, I want to make sure they arent abused.

Abbey Marie
08-11-2011, 11:20 AM
Same as I have said for many years- high up enough in the CIA to be in on the highest level meetings.
Not the head of it, though- that seems to be all politics. :salute:

Trinity
08-14-2011, 10:26 AM
hmmmm.... well I would have to say that I love what I am doing currently....Which is tech support for a major retail chain that has stores in the USA, UK, Ireland, Germany, and Canada.

Now if they could just find a network engineer that actually knows what the hell they are doing...I might be able to make it through a day without my phone getting blown up by the store managers, because oh once again the server has crashed.....Hmmm here's a novel idea how about adding a new server and stop adding more stores till you get the problem resolved :slap:... Oh and try checking location of log files they might need to be moved...;)

ok I'm stepping off my soapbox now

so as for changing careers well I am still working on my degree in web design and development and that kinda goes hand in hand with tech support so I guess the answer would be no I wouldn't change.

sundaydriver
08-14-2011, 10:45 AM
I would like to be a philanthropist. My first grant would be for a Forum Addiction Treatment Center! :thumb:

chloe
08-14-2011, 11:34 AM
I would like to be a philanthropist. My first grant would be for a Forum Addiction Treatment Center! :thumb:

If you run your meetings online is that the same as running AA meeting in a bar?:laugh2:

ConHog
08-14-2011, 05:35 PM
If you run your meetings online is that the same as running AA meeting in a bar?:laugh2:

Why not, they offer everything else online these days. My kid is taking some college courses online , one of them is Human Relations. I mean Human Relations online? Really?