PDA

View Full Version : Obamacare Will Triple the Growth Rate of Net Insurance Costs

red states rule
08-09-2011, 05:14 PM
Hell, is anyone surprised by this? Does anyone believe the government can do anything better and cheaper than the private sector?

Remember when the President promised (http://change.gov/agenda/health_care_agenda/) that Obamacare would reduce the cost of health insurance? “Under [our] plan, if you like your current health insurance, nothing changes, except your costs will go down by as much as $2,500 per year,” said Obama in 2008. The law, like Romneycare in Massachusetts, would magically eliminate the mythical “free-rider problem (http://www.debatepolicy.com/2011/02/02/myths-of-the-free-rider-health-care-problem/)” by massively subsidizing health spending for the lower middle class.

Well, the Office of the Actuary in the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services recently put out its annual projections (http://www.cms.gov/NationalHealthExpendData/03_NationalHealthAccountsProjected.asp) of national health care spending. And, contrary to the President, the actuaries find that Obamacare will dramatically increase the near-term growth rate of health care costs. In 2014, the actuaries find that growth in the net cost of health insurance will increase by nearly 14 percent, compared to 3.5% if PPACA had never passed. The growth rate of private insurance premiums will rise to 9.4 percent, from 5.0 percent under prior law: an 88% increase.

http://blogs.forbes.com/aroy/2011/08/09/medicare-actuary-obamacare-will-triple-the-growth-rate-of-net-insurance-costs/

ConHog
08-09-2011, 05:43 PM
Hell, is anyone surprised by this? Does anyone believe the government can do anything better and cheaper than the private sector?

Only a damned fool would ever believe that the government could provide a quality service of any kind at a decent price and not lose money themselves.

OCA
08-09-2011, 07:09 PM
How come you hate the working poor(when you are a member of said class yourself) and don't want them to have access to affordable healthcare no matter who provides it?

ConHog
08-09-2011, 07:16 PM
How come you hate the working poor(when you are a member of said class yourself) and don't want them to have access to affordable healthcare no matter who provides it?

Who is a member of the poor, and who hates them?

OCA
08-09-2011, 07:32 PM
Who is a member of the poor, and who hates them?

Well, member shall remain unnamed and I don't have a sense of where you are socially yet so it ain't you but..............but if the private sector had done such a bang up job with health insurance there would have been no need for reform in the first place and those against working poor having the option of a government sponsored plan really have no reason to rally against it other than spite. Don't like the government plan? Don't fucking take it! I know that my wife works for a group of eye surgeons, they run through blue cross/blue shield, care to guess how much that runs a month just for her? And god forbid adding dependents, fucking outrageous!....................all because the insurance companies gotta keep those profits high.

Truth was the system was broke, everyone knew it and what was the Republicans proposal? Nothing, not a damn thing..............the status quo, because they are in the pockets of the insurance companies and big business.

You see, thats how it goes in Amerikaa, you get Repubs in power the little guy gets fucked, you get Dems in power the little guy and corps get fucked, both parties raise taxes and spending and until those two parties are relegated to obscurity and a 3rd party gets in and, and this is a big one, ALL PRIVATE MONEY IS OUT OF WASHINGTON, that means campaign donations etc. etc., nothing will ever change because both parties can say this and say that during the election campaign but it don't mean shit, once in office they bend us over and make moves only to consolidate their power and line their pockets with gold.

Jusrt ranting I guess because the money will never leave Washington, which is why nothing will get fixed and the current disintegration of the Republic will continue until we are all speaking Chinese. Enjoy the ride.

fj1200
08-09-2011, 09:34 PM
Well, member shall remain unnamed and I don't have a sense of where you are socially yet so it ain't you but..............but if the private sector had done such a bang up job with health insurance there would have been no need for reform in the first place and those against working poor having the option of a government sponsored plan really have no reason to rally against it other than spite. Don't like the government plan? Don't fucking take it! I know that my wife works for a group of eye surgeons, they run through blue cross/blue shield, care to guess how much that runs a month just for her? And god forbid adding dependents, fucking outrageous!....................all because the insurance companies gotta keep those profits high.

Truth was the system was broke, everyone knew it and what was the Republicans proposal? Nothing, not a damn thing..............the status quo, because they are in the pockets of the insurance companies and big business.

You see, thats how it goes in Amerikaa, you get Repubs in power the little guy gets fucked, you get Dems in power the little guy and corps get fucked, both parties raise taxes and spending and until those two parties are relegated to obscurity and a 3rd party gets in and, and this is a big one, ALL PRIVATE MONEY IS OUT OF WASHINGTON, that means campaign donations etc. etc., nothing will ever change because both parties can say this and say that during the election campaign but it don't mean shit, once in office they bend us over and make moves only to consolidate their power and line their pockets with gold.

Jusrt ranting I guess because the money will never leave Washington, which is why nothing will get fixed and the current disintegration of the Republic will continue until we are all speaking Chinese. Enjoy the ride.

So tripling the growth rate of insurance costs is on net good for the working poor? Seems to me they are exactly the ones who it will hit the hardest when increasing regulatory mandates price any possibility of them being able to have private HC. Besides, since when does the US have a private sector functioning on free-market principles in HC devoid of regulation? Government policies, mandates, regulations, etc. on insurance companies and private business have forced us into a scheme where insurance is not a risk management function it's a health care payment plan and it provides zero incentive for end user consumers to utilize HC in a cost effective way. The key to improving HC is to deregulate and allow insurance companies to offer different types of plans to different types of consumers. Government incentivized one size fits all is never an effective policy.

Republicans? No proposal? Yeah, not one that the Dems would ever allow to a vote eh?

OCA
08-09-2011, 09:40 PM
So tripling the growth rate of insurance costs is on net good for the working poor? Seems to me they are exactly the ones who it will hit the hardest when increasing regulatory mandates price any possibility of them being able to have private HC. Besides, since when does the US have a private sector functioning on free-market principles in HC devoid of regulation? Government policies, mandates, regulations, etc. on insurance companies and private business have forced us into a scheme where insurance is not a risk management function it's a health care payment plan and it provides zero incentive for end user consumers to utilize HC in a cost effective way. The key to improving HC is to deregulate and allow insurance companies to offer different types of plans to different types of consumers. Government incentivized one size fits all is never an effective policy.

Republicans? No proposal? Yeah, not one that the Dems would ever allow to a vote eh?

Yeah, lets deregulate, it worked so well with the mortgage industry and Wall St.

Unbelievable that some people want to repeat the mistakes of the past, maybe a Tea Party Repub?

fj1200
08-09-2011, 10:11 PM
Yeah, lets deregulate, it worked so well with the mortgage industry and Wall St.

Unbelievable that some people want to repeat the mistakes of the past, maybe a Tea Party Repub?

Soooooo, you got nothin' then.

It worked great for railroads, airlines, trucking, etc. You can bring up banking but you'd have to ignore all the other government led mistakes and Federal Reserve (a government created institution don't you know) failures, and moral hazard issues.

ConHog
08-09-2011, 10:40 PM

well, if you had read my intro you would know that I am by most standards upper middle class. I'm retired career military officer and my wife is an assistant district attorney. We do alright, but we're not one of the rich. Obviously we have government insurance; but plenty in my family have private medical insurance and I see the costs. My dad is self employed, he pays $900 a month for major medical he and my mother with a $2500 deductible. So yes, I absolutely agree, the system is broken, but I sure am not convinced the government is the answer.

I pretty much agree with you about the political parties.

red states rule
08-10-2011, 02:43 AM
Only a damned fool would ever believe that the government could provide a quality service of any kind at a decent price and not lose money themselves.

Well you got at least once example by one poster here

red states rule
08-10-2011, 02:45 AM
Soooooo, you got nothin' then.

It worked great for railroads, airlines, trucking, etc. You can bring up banking but you'd have to ignore all the other government led mistakes and Federal Reserve (a government created institution don't you know) failures, and moral hazard issues.

and look at government run healthcare in Great Britain. Is that the model libs want for America?

Don't forget all the tax increases that will be hittting the already sagging Obama economy to fund PART of the cost

No wonder a majority want this massive tax bill repealed