PDA

View Full Version : What do you carry?

ConHog
08-16-2011, 10:01 PM
40 caliber MP S&W here.

Gaffer
08-16-2011, 10:07 PM
Whatever I take away from the guy that points a weapon at me and starts talking.

SassyLady
08-17-2011, 12:23 AM
Pepper spray and stun gun (well, I did carry a stun gun until Homeland Security took it away).

I want one of those Coyote Specials....heard they will only sell to Texans. I'm not a resident but was born there so I wonder if they'll sell one to me.

http://therightsideofaustin.wordpress.com/2010/05/24/ruger-380-true-texan-coyote-special/

(http://therightsideofaustin.wordpress.com/2010/05/24/ruger-380-true-texan-coyote-special/)

darin
08-17-2011, 10:17 AM
Nothing yet. Looking for something thin, and concealable.

KartRacerBoy
08-17-2011, 11:49 AM
ConHog or anyone else who carries a weapon, why do you carry? Do you really think you're likely to need to protect yourself in public?

Monkeybone
08-17-2011, 11:51 AM
It's not that people who carry want to pull it on someone, or be that lone hero, but what happens that one time you need it and don't have? Better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it.

chloe
08-17-2011, 11:54 AM
I suppose I havent had a need.

darin
08-17-2011, 12:07 PM
When my mom wanted to buy a new pick-up, she asked my opinion. I gave it to her. One of the features I suggested was four-wheel-drive.

She said she didn't "need" four-wheel-drive", and bought at 2wd truck. That's the thing about four-wheel-drive - one doesn't need it until they do. During the winter, the truck sits - even when they really should be driving it, or otherwise need it.

Same goes for defense. One doesn't need a weapon until they need it. Then, it's invaluable.

chloe
08-17-2011, 12:10 PM
When my mom wanted to buy a new pick-up, she asked my opinion. I gave it to her. One of the features I suggested was four-wheel-drive.

She said she didn't "need" four-wheel-drive", and bought at 2wd truck. That's the thing about four-wheel-drive - one doesn't need it until they do. During the winter, the truck sits - even when they really should be driving it, or otherwise need it.

Same goes for defense. One doesn't need a weapon until they need it. Then, it's invaluable.

ok then since you insist, my schedules open today when you picking me up to go gun shopping?:laugh2:

heck yeah i saw it and took the opportunity, Im incorrigable.......

ConHog
08-17-2011, 12:13 PM
ConHog or anyone else who carries a weapon, why do you carry? Do you really think you're likely to need to protect yourself in public?

Truthfully, in my case habit. Carried one for 20 plus years, concealed carry permit came with the job and so I have one. At least 90% of the time my handgun is in the car, not on my person.

No in every day situations I don't expect I'll ever need one. But then again I live in a small town where everyone knows everyone.

Little-Acorn
08-17-2011, 12:20 PM
What do you carry?

If/when I carry, it's for serious use, not for bragging on the internet.

KartRacerBoy
08-17-2011, 12:53 PM

I guess I play the odds game. If I still lived in a high crime area like a city, I might consider it. Although I like guns, I just consider the odds of an accident in my house with a child around (although small) to be greater than the value of having a gun in the low crime area I live in. Nor do I hunt (flyfisherman).

Gaffer
08-17-2011, 12:58 PM
When seconds count the police are only minutes away.

A simple sentence that says it all.

ConHog
08-17-2011, 01:13 PM
What do you carry?

If/when I carry, it's for serious use, not for bragging on the internet.

I don't see anyone bragging?

darin
08-17-2011, 01:35 PM
ok then since you insist, my schedules open today when you picking me up to go gun shopping?:laugh2:

heck yeah i saw it and took the opportunity, Im incorrigable.......

Be there at 4. :)

I guess I play the odds game. If I still lived in a high crime area like a city, I might consider it. Although I like guns, I just consider the odds of an accident in my house with a child around (although small) to be greater than the value of having a gun in the low crime area I live in. Nor do I hunt (flyfisherman).

I see the odds differently. I don't carry in the house, but I have staged equipment to provide protection along our routes of escape or defense.

Monkeybone
08-17-2011, 01:45 PM
I guess I play the odds game. If I still lived in a high crime area like a city, I might consider it. Although I like guns, I just consider the odds of an accident in my house with a child around (although small) to be greater than the value of having a gun in the low crime area I live in. Nor do I hunt (flyfisherman). other than the location of where you put the gun, you just raise the child to respect it. I was raised around guns and I knew not to play with it. Of course my cartoons also didn't have to say "don't try this at home".....

ConHog
08-17-2011, 02:02 PM
other than the location of where you put the gun, you just raise the child to respect it. I was raised around guns and I knew not to play with it. Of course my cartoons also didn't have to say "don't try this at home".....

Plus just owning a gun doesn't mean one ignores basic common sense. I keep a loaded handgun in the house , just in case, but it is where there is virtually no chance that my 5 year old could access it. PLUS she is absolutely taught that guns aren't toys. PERIOD.

Prince Lemon
08-17-2011, 02:31 PM
I don't carry any gun with me,but I believe it is a good law to defend yourself,because America is no longer safe nation.

Sir Evil
08-17-2011, 02:44 PM
I don't carry any gun with me,but I believe it is a good law to defend yourself,because America is no longer safe nation.

communist spy bastard! :laugh2:

ConHog
08-17-2011, 03:21 PM
other than the location of where you put the gun, you just raise the child to respect it. I was raised around guns and I knew not to play with it. Of course my cartoons also didn't have to say "don't try this at home".....

Brings up a good point. Things have just changed. When I was in school, we had fights every day. Most of these fights took place in the parking lot. The parking lot was chock full of unlocked pickup trucks with loaded hunting rifles in the back window. No one ever even considered going and getting one of those guns and shooting another person. But today, we have to ban ALL guns from school campus because sure as the nose on your face, some idiot absolutely would use one if it was there.

DragonStryk72
08-17-2011, 05:38 PM
I carry a collapsible firefighter's knife, with seat belt cutter and windshield breaker. Beyond the obvious uses, I can actually flip and throw it pretty well. The knife was a gift from my firefighting buddy of mine after I fought my first real fire in the Navy while I was doing hurricane relief in Puerto Rico

SassyLady
08-18-2011, 12:04 AM
When seconds count the police are only minutes away.

A simple sentence that says it all.

IMO....asking why anyone needs to carry a weapon is like asking why would anyone need to have CPR training. You just never know when you'll need it and when it might save someone's life.

Trinity
08-18-2011, 06:14 AM
PLUS she is absolutely taught that guns aren't toys. PERIOD.

and that comment right there, is exactly why I never bought toy guns for my boy's when they were little. Guns are not toys. And yes my boys played army and other type of cops and robber games, but they used sticks for their guns.

Trinity
08-18-2011, 06:21 AM
I have a question...I am planning on going and getting my CC license soon...still undecided on what type of gun I am going to purchase, but that's not the question.

The question is say I have my gun with me and go into work, I can't take the gun in to work so obviously I would lock it up in the trunk, but its summertime and it is 94 degrees outside and with humidity it feels like 105, trunk feels hotter I'm sure.....Is that a good idea to have a gun sitting in that hot of weather for 8 hours? or switch it around and say 5 degrees and wind chill makes it feel like -1? Just wondering...

ConHog
08-18-2011, 07:54 AM
I have a question...I am planning on going and getting my CC license soon...still undecided on what type of gun I am going to purchase, but that's not the question.

The question is say I have my gun with me and go into work, I can't take the gun in to work so obviously I would lock it up in the trunk, but its summertime and it is 94 degrees outside and with humidity it feels like 105, trunk feels hotter I'm sure.....Is that a good idea to have a gun sitting in that hot of weather for 8 hours? or switch it around and say 5 degrees and wind chill makes it feel like -1? Just wondering...

Shouldn't be an issue unless you buy a real POS.

Gaffer
08-18-2011, 09:59 AM
The only thing high heat would affect is the ammo. Enough heat could cause a shell to explode, but it takes a lot. The gun itself would be unaffected unless it's plastic. Extreme heat and cold could cause the gunpowder to break down over a period of time. Keeping a gun in a case in the trunk of the car is fine. Won't hurt anything.

Trinity
08-19-2011, 05:45 PM
so then I should remove the shells from the gun before storing in the trunk....well I didn't see anything at work prohibiting me from carrying bullets :laugh:

darin
08-19-2011, 06:17 PM
Does your trunk get to 500 degrees? If not, you'll be fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BX1kvJVrjc

ConHog
08-19-2011, 06:19 PM
The only thing high heat would affect is the ammo. Enough heat could cause a shell to explode, but it takes a lot. The gun itself would be unaffected unless it's plastic. Extreme heat and cold could cause the gunpowder to break down over a period of time. Keeping a gun in a case in the trunk of the car is fine. Won't hurt anything.

I don't think a car trunk could EVER get hot enough to cause a shell to explode.

Gaffer
08-19-2011, 07:06 PM
I don't think a car trunk could EVER get hot enough to cause a shell to explode.

I agree. As I said it takes high heat. The only thing that might be affected would be the powder if stored for long periods of time in high heat. The chemicals might break down. Even that takes a considerable amount of time.

TheShadowKNows
08-19-2011, 07:19 PM
40 caliber MP S&W here.

Of recently I have been alternating between a S&W Mod. #66 357 Mag. and a Star Mod. Starwell ( Spain ) .45 ACP.. Consistently trying to find the perfection of comfort, readiness, dependability, and fire power that I know isn't there ( I must of tried 100 different holsters at one time or another ). Although both calibers are formidable in their own right, I feel half naked after carrying a S&W Mod. #429 44 mag. for 15 or so years ( usually carrying hot "Specials" at 1000 FPS for greater recovery time ).
Somewhere between the .44 and the current armament, I must of had deuisions of being James Bond, and carried a .380 for a short while. Realizing how far I had slid down the slippery slope of "stopping power", I relagated it to the graveyard of guns past, and sold it off in about 3 weeks.
I have a varied litany of "habits" that I have picked up over the years, and really don't have any particular mode of carry/concealment, IE; on my person ( everywhere ), in my car ( almost everyywhere ), briefcase, rolled newspaper, every nook and cranny in my house, women I've dated, pre-planted in places I would be in, and the band plays on. Depending on my mood, circumstance, and "GUT" feelings about any given scenario.
As for that "gentleman" who earlier said that, for whatever reason, a gun is not necessary for protection. Tell him to visit his local penitentiary, and ask any convicted felon who his first choice for forced aggression is, regardless of the nature of the crime. I'll lay 10 to 1 he buys a gun "before" he gets back home, and damned grateful they sold it to him.

sundaydriver
08-19-2011, 09:22 PM
I don't carry a weapon, although my Ukrainian bodyguards are armed. Thanks Lemon!

darin
08-19-2011, 10:00 PM
My next wife might be Russian.

:)

Here's me using a friend's pistol of course, as I sold every firearm I've ever had. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gfv70l-r18

Jess
08-21-2011, 11:21 AM
Minions go everywhere with me. I need no other defense.

If they're not with me, my personal bodyguard is. Nothing is gonna get through him.

Just sayin.:cool:

TheShadowKNows
08-21-2011, 08:16 PM
Walther PPK Recall

Safety recall on S&W produced PPK/S Walthers
Enter PPK or PPK/S Return Information
<http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category4_750001_7500
51_757982_-1_757981_757978_image>

IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL NOTICE - February 20, 2009
PRODUCT:
Walther PPK and PPK/S pistols
DESCRIPTION OF THE HAZARD:
Smith & Wesson has identified a condition that may exist in certain PPK and
PPK/S pistols which may permit a round to be discharged without the trigger
being pulled. When the manual safety is disengaged, Smith & Wesson's Product
Engineering Group has determined that the possibility exists in certain
firearms that lowering the hammer may cause a chambered round to fire.
DESCRIPTION OF THE PRODUCT INVOLVED:
This recall applies to all Walther PPK and PPK/S pistols manufactured by
Smith & Wesson from March 21, 2002, until February 3, 2009. The Serial
Numbers of the pistol subject to this recall are as follows:
0010BAB - 9999BAB
0000BAC - 9999BAC
0000BAD - 9999BAD
0000BAE - 9999BAE
0000BAF - 9999BAF
0000BAH - 9999BAH
0000BAJ - 9999BAJ
0000BAK - 9999BAK
0000BAL - 5313BAL
0000BAM - 1320BAM
0000LTD - 0499LTD
0001PPK - 1500PPK
0026REP - 0219REP
0001WLE - 0459WLE
REMEDY/ACTION TO BE TAKEN:
STOP USING YOUR PISTOL AND RETURN IT TO SMITH & WESSON AT ONCE.
Any unintended discharge of a firearm has the potential for causing injury,
and we ask that you stop using your pistol immediately.
To facilitate the repair of your pistol, please contact Smith & Wesson's
customer service department to receive instructions for the return of your
pistol to Smith & Wesson.
When you return your pistol to Smith & Wesson, we will replace the existing
hammer block feature with a new part at no cost to you. Your firearm will be
returned as quickly and efficiently as possible.
VERIFICATION OF CORRECTIVE ACTION:
When your pistol is returned, you should note a punch dot which appears at
the back of the frame. See the photograph below.
Punch Dot
This marking is verification that the new hammer block has been installed
and that your pistol is safe to handle.
CONSUMER CONTACT:
To receive a FedEx pre-paid billable stamp and shipping instructions to
arrange for the modification of your pistol click here
<http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category4_750001_7500
51_757982_-1_757981_757978_image> or contact Smith & Wesson directly at
1-800-331-0852. Please allow 2-3 weeks to receive the information packet
from us.
IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT THIS RECALL, PLEASE CONTACT SMITH & WESSON
AT
1-800-331-0852 or email us at <mailto:PPK_S@smith-wesson.com (PPK_S@smith-wesson.com)>
PPK_S@smith-wesson.com.

Binky
08-21-2011, 10:15 PM
A can of hairspray. One good long squirt aimed at the eyeballls and they are down for the count. Or at least long enough to kick 'em in the balls and run like hell.....:laugh2:

ConHog
08-22-2011, 03:18 PM
A can of hairspray. One good long squirt aimed at the eyeballls and they are down for the count. Or at least long enough to kick 'em in the balls and run like hell.....:laugh2:

I think I may have dated you in high school.

Binky
08-22-2011, 03:49 PM
I think I may have dated you in high school.

LOLOLOLOL! You wish.....LOLOLOL!

J.T
08-22-2011, 04:46 PM
I did carry a stun gun until Homeland Security took it away
(http://therightsideofaustin.wordpress.com/2010/05/24/ruger-380-true-texan-coyote-special/)

?!

Nothing yet. Looking for something thin, and concealable.\

Have you gandered the Ruger LCP and similar weapons?

Why do you wear a seat belt? Do you expect to crash your car into a tree?

Plus just owning a gun doesn't mean one ignores basic common sense. I keep a loaded handgun in the house , just in case, but it is where there is virtually no chance that my 5 year old could access it. PLUS she is absolutely taught that guns aren't toys. PERIOD.

I find it curious that people never feel the need to have that discussion about kitchen knives, though a firearm is arguably safer (because they're designed to not fire without you putting forth some effort to fire them)

Brings up a good point. Things have just changed. When I was in school, we had fights every day. Most of these fights took place in the parking lot. The parking lot was chock full of unlocked pickup trucks with loaded hunting rifles in the back window. No one ever even considered going and getting one of those guns and shooting another person. But today, we have to ban ALL guns from school campus because sure as the nose on your face, some idiot absolutely would use one if it was there.

Actually, two idiots just bring their own and go on a spree- with a guarantee that they're the only ones armed and not even the teachers can shoot back...

I've yet to hear of a shooting spree at an NRA meeting...