PDA

View Full Version : 3 die of rare brain infection from amoeba in water

chloe
08-18-2011, 12:40 AM
ATLANTA (AP) — Two children and a young man have died this summer from a brain-eating amoeba that lives in water, health officials say.This month, the rare infection killed a 16-year-old Florida girl, who fell ill after swimming, and a 9-year-old Virginia boy, who died a week after he went to a fishing day camp. The boy had been dunked the first day of camp, his mother told the Richmond Times-Dispatch.
Those cases are consistent with past cases, which are usually kids — often boys — who get exposed to the bug while swimming or doing water sports in warm ponds or lakes.

The amoeba — Naegleria fowleri (nuh-GLEER-ee-uh FOWL-er-eye) — gets up the nose, burrows up into the skull and destroys brain tissue. It's found in warm lakes and rivers during the hot summer months, mostly in the South.
It's a medical mystery why some people who swim in amoeba-containing water get the fatal nervous system condition while many others don't, experts say.

But the cases that do occur tend to be tragic, and there's only been one report of successful treatment.
"It's very difficult to treat. Most people die from it," Ratard said.

http://news.yahoo.com/3-die-rare-brain-infection-amoeba-water-001505888.html

LuvRPgrl
08-18-2011, 10:45 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/3-die-rare-brain-infection-amoeba-water-001505888.html

I heard MSNBC reported that the less fatal cousin of this bug finds its way up the noses of societies liberals. It distinguishes itself by only being able to penetrate noses that are stuck up in the air, and only able to feed on brains that give vibes of "I am superior and know whats best for the lowly masses"

The virus reportadly feels very comfortable in the overly puffy front vortex of the expanded brain because it feels like kin, it thinks this brain is a biological relative because the host of the brain is also a lecherous organism.

Also reported was that the virus is immune, nay, in fact allergic to things like "facts", "reality", "common sense" and true compassion.

To make up for this, the virus implements into the brain the ability to be hypocritical and two faced.

cc: MSNBC CNN ABC CBS NBC

chloe
08-18-2011, 10:48 AM
I heard MSNBC reported that the less fatal cousin of this bug finds its way up the noses of societies liberals. It distinguishes itself by only being able to penetrate noses that are stuck up in the air, and only able to feed on brains that give vibes of "I am superior and know whats best for the lowly masses"

The virus reportadly feels very comfortable in the overly puffy front vortex of the expanded brain because it feels like kin, it thinks this brain is a biological relative because the host of the brain is also a lecherous organism.

Also reported was that the virus is immune, nay, in fact allergic to things like "facts", "reality", "common sense" and true compassion.

To make up for this, the virus implements into the brain the ability to be hypocritical and two faced.

someone woke up a little mischievious:laugh2:

gabosaurus
08-18-2011, 11:03 AM
I knew there was an explanation for Michele Bachmann somewhere... :rolleyes:

LuvRPgrl
08-18-2011, 11:34 AM
I knew there was an explanation for Michele Bachmann somewhere... :rolleyes:

humour is suppose to always have at least a little bit of truth to it to be funny

PostmodernProphet
08-18-2011, 11:56 AM
three people have died from a rare disease.....how rare is rare.....is three the typical number of people who die from this disease a year (that would be extremely rare)........or is there a sudden increase in the number of deaths in which it might be a good idea to be concerned.......

Nukeman
08-18-2011, 12:15 PM
three people have died from a rare disease.....how rare is rare.....is three the typical number of people who die from this disease a year (that would be extremely rare)........or is there a sudden increase in the number of deaths in which it might be a good idea to be concerned.......The number of deaths associated with this type of amoeba are about 3 a year in the US. So right now they are at the typical number. Now with the extreme heat of this summer in certain areas you can expect an increase in the amount of amoebas in the water, which could cause a slight increase over normal years. some years there are none

LuvRPgrl
08-18-2011, 01:03 PM
The number of deaths associated with this type of amoeba are about 3 a year in the US. So right now they are at the typical number. Now with the extreme heat of this summer in certain areas you can expect an increase in the amount of amoebas in the water, which could cause a slight increase over normal years. some years there are none

awww crap, so global warming is true?

LuvRPgrl
08-18-2011, 02:55 PM
ANYBODY GOT THE MEDICAL TERM/NAME FOR THAT BUG?

Oh heck, I'll say it out loud, I even made myself laugh at that one:salute: