PDA

View Full Version : Fixin' to get happy

darin
08-18-2011, 03:25 PM
As our home purchase moves closer to closing, I'm starting to think about life with 'elbow room'. Now we live in-town; tiny lot among older neighborhood full of craftsman style homes and others. Our "new" place is on 10 acres, with stocked pond and hunting land. Lots of work, as the front 4 acres will need mowed - but having a big barn, weeping willows, other deciduous and conifers on the property will be pretty slick.

I've started shopping for live fish and chickens. Might think about a goat or two, too. Anyone else have farm-type animals? Anyone have land? post-up a pic! Attached is a photo of the pond-area, and adjacent barn, of the house we're buying.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2346&d=1313698987

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2347&stc=1

chloe
08-18-2011, 03:30 PM
so neat !!! you should definately host the debate policy end of summer party.

jimnyc
08-18-2011, 03:33 PM
Lookin sweet!!

(when I saw the thread title I thought maybe you just left the doctor and were about to pop some percocet or vicodin!)

darin
08-18-2011, 03:34 PM
so neat !!! you should definately host the debate policy end of summer party.

Absolutely would love that. Folks could come up and even camp!

Vball, Baseball, Shooting, fishing, or hanging around the in-ground pool. We could keep occupied!

ConHog
08-18-2011, 03:36 PM
I've got horses, cattle, geese, ducks, cats, dogs, and even a few guinea hens.

No goats though, they eat EVERYTHING. I wouldn't do it if I were you. Of course if I had it to do over, I probably wouldn't do ducks again either. Back when he was young my son wanted ducks, so we bought a few put them on the pond, and my God did they multiply.

darin
08-18-2011, 03:38 PM
I've got horses, cattle, geese, ducks, cats, dogs, and even a few guinea hens.

No goats though, they eat EVERYTHING. I wouldn't do it if I were you. Of course if I had it to do over, I probably wouldn't do ducks again either. Back when he was young my son wanted ducks, so we bought a few put them on the pond, and my God did they multiply.

And the ducks are likely pets by now, eh? Hrm. Am considering placing room for raising bacon. Problem though, I doubt I'd have the stones to slaughter the animals myself. Am honestly thinking of becoming a vegetarian. Good thing my wife'll maintain a good garden I guess.

ConHog
08-18-2011, 03:51 PM
And the ducks are likely pets by now, eh? Hrm. Am considering placing room for raising bacon. Problem though, I doubt I'd have the stones to slaughter the animals myself. Am honestly thinking of becoming a vegetarian. Good thing my wife'll maintain a good garden I guess.

Yes , they are pets. For the most part you can walk right up to em.

We raise our own beef , and trade for pork. They aren't pets. They are income and food. My 5 year old daughter will look out in the field and tell you which steer she thinks is going to taste the best. :laugh:

Noway I could give up my steaks and hamburgers.

darin
08-18-2011, 03:53 PM
I think I agree, but the more I watch hunting shows the more I think I'm not wired that way. Thing that bothers me most? When guys POSE by their dead animal. As if the animal was shooting BACK, ya know?

chloe
08-18-2011, 03:56 PM
Absolutely would love that. Folks could come up and even camp!

Vball, Baseball, Shooting, fishing, or hanging around the in-ground pool. We could keep occupied!

why dont you plan a campout for next summer and people can tent out there and have a 3 day weekend bash.

KartRacerBoy
08-18-2011, 03:57 PM
Good luck with this dmp. Enjoy your property! Looks beautiful!

Abbey Marie
08-18-2011, 04:23 PM
I think I agree, but the more I watch hunting shows the more I think I'm not wired that way. Thing that bothers me most? When guys POSE by their dead animal. As if the animal was shooting BACK, ya know?

ConHog
08-18-2011, 04:43 PM

I don't hunt, or fish. Just never appealed to me. I'll eat a little deer, and some fish, but it doesn't taste good enough to me to justify hunting. God bless those who do, and I have no problem with it, my land is posted but I give permission to some to hunt, if I can trust that they won't shoot my livestock, trash my place, or leave gates open. But I haven't hunted since I was 16.

KartRacerBoy
08-18-2011, 04:56 PM
I don't hunt, or fish. Just never appealed to me. I'll eat a little deer, and some fish, but it doesn't taste good enough to me to justify hunting. God bless those who do, and I have no problem with it, my land is posted but I give permission to some to hunt, if I can trust that they won't shoot my livestock, trash my place, or leave gates open. But I haven't hunted since I was 16.

I met a cattle farmer back in the 80s when I trespassed on his land. My girlfriend and I walked on his land to enjoy the view of a beautiful WV valley. The farmer saw us and walked out to tell us to leave (very politely). He was having problems with "hunters" shooting and cleaning his cattle and had just lost 3 the night b4. As a young suburban boy, I was kind of surprised, but I guess it's no different than urban crime.

ConHog
08-18-2011, 05:17 PM
I met a cattle farmer back in the 80s when I trespassed on his land. My girlfriend and I walked on his land to enjoy the view of a beautiful WV valley. The farmer saw us and walked out to tell us to leave (very politely). He was having problems with "hunters" shooting and cleaning his cattle and had just lost 3 the night b4. As a young suburban boy, I was kind of surprised, but I guess it's no different than urban crime.

In southern Missouri , not far from where I live, kids have taken to finding people's round of bales of hay and burning them to the ground as entertainment.

Binky
08-18-2011, 06:12 PM
As our home purchase moves closer to closing, I'm starting to think about life with 'elbow room'. Now we live in-town; tiny lot among older neighborhood full of craftsman style homes and others. Our "new" place is on 10 acres, with stocked pond and hunting land. Lots of work, as the front 4 acres will need mowed - but having a big barn, weeping willows, other deciduous and conifers on the property will be pretty slick.

I've started shopping for live fish and chickens. Might think about a goat or two, too. Anyone else have farm-type animals? Anyone have land? post-up a pic! Attached is a photo of the pond-area, and adjacent barn, of the house we're buying.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2346&d=1313698987

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2347&stc=1

That sounds like a sweet piece of Heaven to me. Now you'll be able to fish right from your own stocked pond. Awesome. I could really dig that. In fact, I could handle living that sort of life as well. City life isn't for me. Been there, done that. And thank goodness we have a pond about a mile from our home and two large lakes both within 10 miles from here. You are going to enjoy the greenery and wild life. We have it all around us and it sure beats city life. Enjoy your new home and grounds. I suspect you'll be doing some "exploring" of your property. Have fun.

darin
08-18-2011, 07:16 PM
Yes Ma'am. I'm stoked. I'm quite hoping to build a place as close to self-supporting as I can get.

Mr. P
08-19-2011, 12:01 AM
Yes Ma'am. I'm stoked. I'm quite hoping to build a place as close to self-supporting as I can get.
Ya could a done this in enterprise ya know!!! LOL

SassyLady
08-19-2011, 12:04 AM
Lookin sweet!!

(when I saw the thread title I thought maybe you just left the doctor and were about to pop some percocet or vicodin!)

Hell...I thought Mary had some new lingerie to model for him. :coffee:

SassyLady
08-19-2011, 12:13 AM
Hey kiddo ... I am soooo happy for you! It will be a lot of work but you'll get healthy again .. both mentally and physically...working on your own property will do that for you. I only have two acres and my barn isn't as big and my pond dries up at the end of July every year ... so no fish. However, the ducks also disappear when the pond dries up.

Here's a pic

chloe
08-19-2011, 12:15 AM
Hey kiddo ... I am soooo happy for you! It will be a lot of work but you'll get healthy again .. both mentally and physically...working on your own property will do that for you. I only have two acres and my barn isn't as big and my pond dries up at the end of July every year ... so no fish. However, the ducks also disappear when the pond dries up.

Here's a pic

I like it, it has a real serenity to it.

SassyLady
08-19-2011, 12:21 AM
dmp....you have to get one of these set up for snoozing after mowing and trimming the trees

darin
08-19-2011, 04:01 AM
Ya could a done this in enterprise ya know!!! LOL

:D I suppose - but while I lived there I owned a home in WA :( FWIW, drive out rucker Blvd gate towards the city - I used to live on Heritage Blvd, just on the left.

dmp....you have to get one of these set up for snoozing after mowing and trimming the trees

Sounds like an offer for a hammock partner? :) Hot.

Monkeybone
08-19-2011, 06:33 AM
Looks sweet D. Nuke will have to drag me up there to see it and I will live in your barn. :thumb:

darin
08-19-2011, 06:56 AM
Looks sweet D. Nuke will have to drag me up there to see it and I will live in your barn. :thumb:

We'd love to have y'all up for a spell. :)

Nukeman
08-19-2011, 03:34 PM
Hey D. PM me and give me your address. Trigg and I will drag Monkey and his wife up there. It would be an awesome ride on the bike. Looks like a great place.

We are currently looking for a little more land and building again. We were hoping to build a open concept ranch with a HUGE kitchen. Also we are looking to do a few things for the future, so we won't have to worry as we get older... Look forward to hearing form you adn seeing the new place!!!!!:beer:

darin
08-19-2011, 06:25 PM
Would be awesome Nuke. :) Will send the addy once the house closes.