PDA

View Full Version : People You Admire?

J.T
08-19-2011, 02:26 AM
Who are your heroes? Whom do you admire? Who is your inspiration?

I'd have to say Adolf Hitler, Joseph Goebbels and Edward Bernays (listed in order of my discovery of them in my life) are the three who've always captivated me since I learned of them. Building on the work of Sigmund Freud et al, they pioneered modern methods of propaganda and mass control. Few have been so able to manipulate the perception, thoughts, and will of the masses so effectively. These men were masters of making the masses believe and want anything they wanted them to, tapping into a basic human desire for control and authority once only so masterfully used by the best engineers of organized religion and faith. Bernays totally redefined democracy and proved once and for all that the best way to sustain 'democracy' is to destroy its heart while maintaining its facade and that the best way to sustain tyranny and the rule of the elites is to convince the masses that they desire exactly that which you wish to inflict upon them. He engineered the emergence of consumptionism, which paved the way for corporatism as we know it. Sure, others have built upon their work and continue to do so, and other preceded them, but these men were the pioneers who built the foundations of the modern world and the existing order.

ConHog
08-19-2011, 08:02 AM
Who are your heroes? Whom do you admire? Who is your inspiration?

I'd have to say Adolf Hitler, Joseph Goebbels and Edward Bernays (listed in order of my discovery of them in my life) are the three who've always captivated me since I learned of them. Building on the work of Sigmund Freud et al, they pioneered modern methods of propaganda and mass control. Few have been so able to manipulate the perception, thoughts, and will of the masses so effectively. These men were masters of making the masses believe and want anything they wanted them to, tapping into a basic human desire for control and authority once only so masterfully used by the best engineers of organized religion and faith. Bernays totally redefined democracy and proved once and for all that the best way to sustain 'democracy' is to destroy its heart while maintaining its facade and that the best way to sustain tyranny and the rule of the elites is to convince the masses that they desire exactly that which you wish to inflict upon them. He engineered the emergence of consumptionism, which paved the way for corporatism as we know it. Sure, others have built upon their work and continue to do so, and other preceded them, but these men were the pioneers who built the foundations of the modern world and the existing order.

Yep, there's three worthy idols right there.

:lame2:

fj1200
08-19-2011, 08:08 AM
Yep, there's three worthy idols right there.

:lame2:

Quick someone rename the thread to People You Admire and What it Says about You.

darin
08-19-2011, 08:34 AM
If you FEED a troll, it will GROW, folks. Best to ignore this crap.

chloe
08-19-2011, 12:03 PM
Alan & Gaffer

Both are men who raised there children on there own, both served in the military and both have strong ethics and a great sense of humor.:salute:

ConHog
08-19-2011, 02:28 PM
Alan & Gaffer

Both are men who raised there children on there own, both served in the military and both have strong ethics and a great sense of humor.:salute:

It's the story, of a man named Alan and his three boys

They were all together, yet they were all alone.

It's the story

Of a man named Gaffer....

I think we know where THIS is headed..............

Trinity
08-19-2011, 05:27 PM

It's the story

Yep and it turned in to the Brady Bunch although it was 2 girls and 4 boys.....:laugh:

Sir Evil
08-19-2011, 05:38 PM
Yep and it turned in to the Brady Bunch although it was 2 girls and 4 boys.....:laugh:

So who are you, Cindy? ;)

chloe
08-19-2011, 05:57 PM

It's the story

haha Ironically gaffer is the one who remarried and had a step family of kids:laugh2:

Alan raised his kids on his own.

They are both upstanding men of great ethics character and integrity.

I am lucky to know both as friends and to aspire to emulate the examples they give as decent human beings.

ConHog
08-19-2011, 06:16 PM
haha Ironically gaffer is the one who remarried and had a step family of kids:laugh2:

Alan raised his kids on his own.

They are both upstanding men of great ethics character and integrity.

I am lucky to know both as friends and to aspire to emulate the examples they give as decent human beings.

I can't imagine how difficult that is. I raised one on my own, sorta until I met current wife.

chloe
08-19-2011, 06:20 PM
I can't imagine how difficult that is. I raised one on my own, sorta until I met current wife.

Raised both my daughters on my own. It ain't easy that is for sure.

Abbey Marie
08-19-2011, 06:22 PM
Tony Dungy.

darin
08-19-2011, 06:26 PM
Abby's panties.

Abbey Marie
08-19-2011, 06:28 PM
Abby's panties.

My not-so-secret location. :laugh:

ConHog
08-19-2011, 06:45 PM
Abby's panties.

I am sorely disappointed to learn that abbey is a panty wearer.

BTW to answer the question. I admire anyone that tells JT what a douchebag he is.

Abbey Marie
08-19-2011, 06:50 PM
I am sorely disappointed to learn that abbey is a panty wearer.

BTW to answer the question. I admire anyone that tells JT what a douchebag he is.

Not when it counts, Con. :cool:

jimnyc
08-19-2011, 06:50 PM
The best NFL organization ever - The Pittsburgh Steelers

And if you think or say otherwise. Or if you're dumb enough like Sir Evil to like the Vikings - :finger3::fu:

ConHog
08-19-2011, 06:51 PM

It ALWAYS counts darling.

:dance:

jimnyc
08-19-2011, 06:51 PM

Will you marry me? :coffee:

Abbey Marie
08-19-2011, 06:52 PM
Will you marry me? :coffee:

Girls like guys with skills. :coffee:

Gaffer
08-19-2011, 06:56 PM
I admire Chloe. I'm familiar with many of the things she has over come in the past. Hard times have just made her a stronger person. She's a true friend, couldn't ask for better. I also admire my son and daughter for their perseverance and determination in taking control of their lives.

SassyLady
08-19-2011, 10:54 PM

:beer:

Kathianne
08-19-2011, 11:33 PM
dmp said something earlier today, that the responses were much better than the OP, this thread qualifies. It's like it's been hijacked for a higher purpose! :laugh2:

I must say I've been impressed with many of the responses, especially as they relate to members on the board.

I admire most my family. Of course my parents, whom I miss terribly. Both overcame enormous difficulties with the Depression, WWII, and some personal issues. My mom started the first AA chapter in our area, she'd read about it in Reader's Digest. She really never drank much, but my dad did. About 5 years later my dad joined a spin off of her group, which was men only. My mom's was 'mixed.' LOL! Many years later, when I asked why she'd done this she said, "I had a drinking problem, it was your dad." There wasn't Al Anon at that time, but she helped get that started too. My dad stopped drinking when I was 7, for good when I was 9. So yeah, my mom was way ahead of her time.

My dad I admire for what he did in the War and what he did when my mom got sick. Of course he was always a good provider, he spoiled me something horrible. But until my mom got sick, I tended to see my mom as the strong one, my dad just went along. Suddenly it all changed. My mom couldn't cook, keep house, or the books. My dad had to step up and boy did he ever. For the first years when she was able to get rehab for the major stroke and seemed to be recovering so well, he sold the old house and moved her down to FL. He worked with doctors at Loyola here to find the right neurologists and geriatric doctors down there.

When living there became too dangerous because of her deteriorating health, boom he came back here and sold the house there. In the process of trying to get assisted living arrangements, she broke her hip and suffered another major stroke. Assisted living was out, they'd be separated, so they moved in with my brother and his wife, a nurse. A little less than a year later, the hip broke again, so she was confined to a wheel chair. With that, they moved in with me.

What I remember most of this time, must have been the Christmas before the October we'd have to put her in a nursing home, was the big family party at my house. Must have been 50 people, she was quite happy and the crowd was starting to go home. She got out of the wheel chair and sat on my dad's lap. She hugged him and said, "Thank you, I know this has been so hard!" She was crying, then they necked, right in front of all of us! My kids, (16-20) at the time, were like, "Gross!" The rest of us were laughing and crying.

My kids, oh I do admire them. Speaking of overcoming great odds! They handled it all, from a mom going to school, then working 80+ hours a week for a few years. A dad that was pretty decent when home, to gone. Then back, then abusive and ordered to see a shrink but not the kids. Now they have a pretty good relationship with him. That's a lot of forgiving on their parts. All finished college, paying for it themselves with scholarships and work. All have good jobs and are self-sufficient and with partners.

My brother, who has always been in my corner since we stopped beating on each other when he got too big! Without him, I don't know how I'd have gotten through the past year. He was the father to my kids when they needed one, even though he had 3 of his own. He knows when to slap me upside the head and when to give me a hug.

SassyLady
08-20-2011, 12:14 AM
I admire my stunningly, beautiful daughter ... who went to Tucson when she was 18, no job, no car, no place to live and only knew one person in the whole city. She slept on her friend's couch, decided to get a job at an auto dealership so she could get a good deal on a car, joined a softball team .... and now, 16 years later is a stay-at-home mom for three kids and married to a prominent businessman.

Not once did she ask for help, and not once has she come home when things got rough. She got married the first time at 22, had a baby, divorced and married again at 31, and now has two more children. She makes incredible cakes...here is a group of cakes she made for girlfriend ... everything is edible.

Trinity
08-20-2011, 08:21 AM
I admire my stunningly, beautiful daughter ... who went to Tucson when she was 18, no job, no car, no place to live and only knew one person in the whole city. She slept on her friend's couch, decided to get a job at an auto dealership so she could get a good deal on a car, joined a softball team .... and now, 16 years later is a stay-at-home mom for three kids and married to a prominent businessman.

Not once did she ask for help, and not once has she come home when things got rough. She got married the first time at 22, had a baby, divorced and married again at 31, and now has two more children. She makes incredible cakes...here is a group of cakes she made for girlfriend ... everything is edible.

Love the cakes!!

chloe
08-20-2011, 12:10 PM
i admire my stunningly, beautiful daughter ... Who went to tucson when she was 18, no job, no car, no place to live and only knew one person in the whole city. She slept on her friend's couch, decided to get a job at an auto dealership so she could get a good deal on a car, joined a softball team .... And now, 16 years later is a stay-at-home mom for three kids and married to a prominent businessman.

Not once did she ask for help, and not once has she come home when things got rough. She got married the first time at 22, had a baby, divorced and married again at 31, and now has two more children. She makes incredible cakes...here is a group of cakes she made for girlfriend ... Everything is edible.

yumm

fj1200
08-21-2011, 08:59 AM
... everything is edible.

There's some talent.

Gunny
08-21-2011, 09:15 AM
I have a question ...

... are the responses to the person and/or personal dislike of the OP? Kind of like the immediate dismissal of the premise of the OP simply because of dislike of the names posted?

The OP has merit. While scumbags, the men WERE good at that which was attributed to them.

I just notice certain names or phrases invoke immediate, knee-jerk responses. The same freedom of speech for the KKK and/or white separatist groups comes to mind. All I ever really see from the opposition is the same hate they're prattling on about.

ConHog
08-21-2011, 01:50 PM
I have a question ...

... are the responses to the person and/or personal dislike of the OP? Kind of like the immediate dismissal of the premise of the OP simply because of dislike of the names posted?

The OP has merit. While scumbags, the men WERE good at that which was attributed to them.

I just notice certain names or phrases invoke immediate, knee-jerk responses. The same freedom of speech for the KKK and/or white separatist groups comes to mind. All I ever really see from the opposition is the same hate they're prattling on about.

The OP may have some merit, but I don't think we should celebrate the accomplishment of such men in ANY area. Sadaam Hussein had some things he was pretty good at, I don't admire him for them.

There was nothing admirable about Hitler.

gabosaurus
08-21-2011, 11:01 PM
To actually answer the question:

**My parents, for raising my sister and I to be who we are today.

**My dad's best friend, for being a man of principles and ideals. He is a decorated war veteran, two tours of duty in Viet Nam. But he bucked the trend and became a pacifist, because he realized that unnecessary wars are the biggest evil plaguing mankind.

**My maternal grandfather, who loved his country enough that he left home at the age of 16 to fight the Russians on the Eastern front. After WWII, he moved to the U.S. for the chance of a better life for his family. He started from scratch and made a good living.

**My paternal grandfather did the same thing in this country. When Pearl Harbor was attacked, he lied about his age and joined the military, where he spent three years in the Pacific.

SassyLady
08-22-2011, 12:09 AM
I have a question ...

There are other people in the world with the same qualities, however, they used those qualities for completely different purposes. If you admire the qualities..... that is one thing, but if you admire what they did with those qualities and relish in the end result, then I have no respect for anyone who admires them for that.

Saying you admire Hitler because he had charisma and used that charisma to lead a nation to war so he could annihilate an entire group of people ... no, I don't think so.

J.T
08-22-2011, 12:40 AM
There are other people in the world with the same qualities
Who, exactly, would you say was Bernays' equal? Who has mastered the cult of personality and mass persuasion so effectively as Hitler and Goebbels? Che? Hardly, and only in the eyes of spoiled college kids. Ghadaffi? He cannot call upon the legions of adoring followers that Hitler could. He will have no followers 40 years after his death. Mao? Okay, I'll grant you that Mao is definitely in the running. I read some of his AgitProp and it was damn good.

What other leader has commanded such love, admiration, loyalty, and obedience from so many in recent history? You might have to back to Gaius Julius to find anyone who came close, and his approach (while impressive) was one of acquiescence and bribery of the masses to win their affections as one wins the love of a dog, rather than the artful and masterful manipulation and engineering of human consciousness (http://www.amazon.com/Mass-Control-Engineering-Human-Consciousness/dp/1931882215) and thought on a grand scale (thought I've little doubt he would have made use of such methods, if he'd had the technological ability to deliver it).

Let us say it was learned that Marie Curie loved animal sex, orgies, and ritualistic human sacrifice. One could still admire her work without approving of anything else she did.

SassyLady
08-22-2011, 02:36 AM
Who, exactly, would you say was Bernays' equal? Who has mastered the cult of personality and mass persuasion so effectively as Hitler and Goebbels? Che? Hardly, and only in the eyes of spoiled college kids. Ghadaffi? He cannot call upon the legions of adoring followers that Hitler could. He will have no followers 40 years after his death. Mao? Okay, I'll grant you that Mao is definitely in the running. I read some of his AgitProp and it was damn good.

What other leader has commanded such love, admiration, loyalty, and obedience from so many in recent history? You might have to back to Gaius Julius to find anyone who came close, and his approach (while impressive) was one of acquiescence and bribery of the masses to win their affections as one wins the love of a dog, rather than the artful and masterful manipulation and engineering of human consciousness (http://www.amazon.com/Mass-Control-Engineering-Human-Consciousness/dp/1931882215) and thought on a grand scale (thought I've little doubt he would have made use of such methods, if he'd had the technological ability to deliver it).

Let us say it was learned that Marie Curie loved animal sex, orgies, and ritualistic human sacrifice. One could still admire her work without approving of anything else she did.

Gandhi.

ConHog
08-22-2011, 02:39 PM
Gandhi.

Jesus

KartRacerBoy
08-22-2011, 04:12 PM
I admire my wife. As of this moment I have been unemployed since Jan 1, 2009, when the public defender office had a big budget cut and I was the least senior FT attorney. The economy in our county had 19% unemployment at the time and it's still between 15-17%. No law firms are hiring. My wife's private practice (she's an attorney) is not making much money (her secretary made more than she did last year). Luckily she is a part time public defender, too. And Con Hog, she hasn't lost a jury trial in two years as a PD.

I'm on unemployment (which runs out in 3 months) and I've been unable to find a job. Given my wife's private practice right now, I think I get more from unemployment than going back to private practice. So my wife is supporting us. She enjoys me taking care of our 8 yr old daughter but we're both sad she can't do many of the summer things her friends can.

Clearly my wife is stressed beyond belief and next year our health insurance is greatly diminished. This is very stressful becz I have developed SERIOUS health problems in the last 4 months. Heart problems. Kidneys failed and had an emergency hospitaliztion.

So I greatly admire my wife right now. She holds our family together.

ConHog
08-22-2011, 04:22 PM
I admire my wife. As of this moment I have been unemployed since Jan 1, 2009, when the public defender office had a big budget cut and I was the least senior FT attorney. The economy in our county had 19% unemployment at the time and it's still between 15-17%. No law firms are hiring. My wife's private practice (she's an attorney) is not making much money (her secretary made more than she did last year). Luckily she is a part time public defender, too. And Con Hog, she hasn't lost a jury trial in two years as a PD.

I'm on unemployment (which runs out in 3 months) and I've been unable to find a job. Given my wife's private practice right now, I think I get more from unemployment than going back to private practice. So my wife is supporting us. She enjoys me taking care of our 8 yr old daughter but we're both sad she can't do many of the summer things her friends can.

Clearly my wife is stressed beyond belief and next year our health insurance is greatly diminished. This is very stressful becz I have developed SERIOUS health problems in the last 4 months. Heart problems. Kidneys failed and had an emergency hospitaliztion.

So I greatly admire my wife right now. She holds our family together.

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles.

I admire my wife too, especially from behind. :dance:

KartRacerBoy
08-22-2011, 04:48 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your troubles.

I admire my wife too, especially from behind. :dance:

Key party!!!

Binky
08-23-2011, 03:26 PM
I admire anyone who can pull themselves up by their boot straps moving in a positive direction to better their lives. :clap:

SassyLady
08-24-2011, 02:42 AM
Here's my baby and the cakes she made for my granddaughter's 12th birthday. BTW ... those are not real books behind the front cake ... those are also cakes.

Kathianne
08-24-2011, 03:45 AM
Here's my baby and the cakes she made for my granddaughter's 12th birthday. BTW ... those are not real books behind the front cake ... those are also cakes.

She's gorgeous, even more so than the cakes!

Abbey Marie
08-24-2011, 10:06 AM
You're daughter is beautiful, Sassy. :cool:

J.T
08-24-2011, 10:55 AM

babycakes?