PDA

View Full Version : The Non-Fiction Book Thread

KartRacerBoy
08-19-2011, 10:55 AM
I'm a pretty voracious reader. I read between 30-50 books/year. About 1/3 of those are non-fiction and usually history. I also read about science and some biographies.

Right now I'm reading Pauline Maier's "Ratification." It's about the states ratifying the US Constitution in 1787-88, and I'm interested becz I tire of "original intent" folks always citing the Federalist Papers or the statements by the Constitutional delegates who wrote COTUS. I've always thought that the other intent that matters (perhaps more than the delegates' opinions) was the opinions of the people who actually approved COTUS as the basis for our govt. Sometimes these "intents" coincide and sometimes they do not. This is the first comprehensive history available to a non-historian on this issue. Very well written and well documented. Maier is a professor of history at M.I.T.

I recently reread a book by Timothy Bergurud's "Fire in the Sky," about the WW2 air war in the South Pacific (Solomon Islands, etc). This is probably the best history of any portion of the air war in WW2 I've ever read. While providing a detailed history of the strategic and tactical decision making, it also does a great job showing how aircraft were lost. For example, most fighter losses to the US came from aircraft accidents while taxi-ing on the ground. And as in ground combat in WW2, something like 80% or more of air victories fell to 5% of the pilots. It also does a great job of detailing the Japanese limitations, particularly regarding aircraft maintenance and repairs. According to Bergerud, while Japan had a technical elite that could design and build aircraft effectively, the bulk of the military came from fairly rural backgrounds with near zero exposure to technology. This limited their ability to maintain complex military weapons. A really great book.

Some other's I've read in the past months:

American Collosus: The Triumph of Capitalism, 1865-1900, by H.W. Brands.
Skunk Works, by Ben Rich/Leo Jones (hstory of Lockheed's division that built the U2, SR71, etc)
Castles of Steel: Britain, Germany & the Winning of the Great War at Sea, by Robert Massie (wat at sea in WWI)
Churchhill, Hitler and the Unnecessary War, by Patrick Buchanan.
The Hawk and the Dove: Paul Nitze, George Kennan and the History of the Cold War, by Nicholas Thompson (FANTASTIC).
Bomb Power: The Modern Presidency & the National Security State, by Garry Willis.
Einstein by Walter Isaacson. (best bibliography I've ever read)
SuperFreakonomics, by Steven Levitt/Stephen Dubner.

I'm interested what you folks are reading. Let's hear you. And Sir Evil, I hope this thread isn't too pompous for you. :lol:

ConHog
08-19-2011, 11:33 AM
I've always got something going on as far as reading goes, but usually I prefer fiction.

darin
08-19-2011, 11:42 AM
Last non-fiction book I read was Arguing with Idiots by Glenn Beck. Great book. Lots of interesting points, facts, data, and opinion.

KartRacerBoy
08-19-2011, 11:48 AM
Last non-fiction book I read was Arguing with Idiots by Glenn Beck. Great book. Lots of interesting points, facts, data, and opinion.

I avoid partisan books on both sides at all costs. The only one I've tried to read was Al Franken's "Rush Limbaugh iis a big fat idiot." I stopped about halfway through the book. I did read Franken's "Why Not Me?" about his fictional run for president. Even my gun-toting NRA buddy thought it was hilarious.

Glenn, however, scares me. He seems to live in a world of vast conspiracies.

darin
08-19-2011, 11:59 AM
I avoid partisan books on both sides at all costs. The only one I've tried to read was Al Franken's "Rush Limbaugh iis a big fat idiot." I stopped about halfway through the book. I did read Franken's "Why Not Me?" about his fictional run for president. Even my gun-toting NRA buddy thought it was hilarious.

Glenn, however, scares me. He seems to live in a world of vast conspiracies.

The book wasn't partisan in the least, in my view - maybe if you think Libertarian ideals and ideas are necessarily partisan I guess.

Kathianne
08-19-2011, 12:05 PM
I'm finishing up reading, "Reckless Endangerment".

I'm working my way through second reading of the Durant's, "The Story of Civilization." Probably one of my best investments in book buying days. ;)

Also rereading, "Democracy in America," for probably the 12th time.

While I do like non-fiction, I've always got a couple novels going at the same time. :cool:

KartRacerBoy
08-19-2011, 12:49 PM
The book wasn't partisan in the least, in my view - maybe if you think Libertarian ideals and ideas are necessarily partisan I guess.

I view Beck as a political hack. I am libertarian socially, but not nearly so economically. Personally, I think Ron Paul is more credible than Beck, but Glenn will make more $$$ becz he's a natural showman.

darin
08-19-2011, 12:55 PM
I view Beck as a political hack. I am libertarian socially, but not nearly so economically. Personally, I think Ron Paul is more credible than Beck, but Glenn will make more $$$ becz he's a natural showman.

All that may be true - but it won't mean what he says in the book is wrong. Ya know? Even a broken clock is right twice a day and all that.

KartRacerBoy
08-19-2011, 12:56 PM
I'm finishing up reading, "Reckless Endangerment".

I'm working my way through second reading of the Durant's, "The Story of Civilization." Probably one of my best investments in book buying days. ;)

Also rereading, "Democracy in America," for probably the 12th time.

While I do like non-fiction, I've always got a couple novels going at the same time. :cool:

Good God! Is that de Toqueville??? I haven't tried it but I imagine that is dense stuff to get through.

And I've got several books going right now, too. In addition to Ratifcation (a bit text bookish), I'm reading the latest Tom Clancy book that isn't written by Clancy, as well as a book on the history of the KGB (again, a bit text bookish but based on 30 years of KGB files smuggled out of the USSR in the 80s).

What is Reckless Endangerment?

darin
08-19-2011, 01:01 PM
you folks make me feel dumb. I am likely the least-educated guy on the forums - but still..geesh. Maybe I should look into this thing you call "reading" :)

Kathianne
08-19-2011, 01:04 PM
Good God! Is that de Toqueville??? I haven't tried it but I imagine that is dense stuff to get through.

And I've got several books going right now, too. In addition to Ratifcation (a bit text bookish), I'm reading the latest Tom Clancy book that isn't written by Clancy, as well as a book on the history of the KGB (again, a bit text bookish but based on 30 years of KGB files smuggled out of the USSR in the 80s).

What is Reckless Endangerment?

Actually "Democracy in America" is a pretty easy read. Brilliant history of US in early-mid 19th century. In many ways prophetic through early-mid 20th C.

"Reckless Endangerment" is basically a walk through of government enabled theft of US housing market and the symbiosis of banking, government, real estate, financials and insurance industries. True malfeasance which the people will never see justice for.

If you read that Rolling Stone article I referenced yesterday on the SEC, it's along the same lines. BTW, SEC and FED and same players all over are involved with all. It's like the crooks play musical offices.

Thunderknuckles
08-19-2011, 01:07 PM
Last non fiction book was Man in the Shadows by Efraim Halevy, former Director of the Mossad. It was decent read that details history in the Middle East over the last 20+ years with a behind the scenes accounting of what went on between nations and how those actions shaped the Middle East today.

Currently reading the Game of Thrones series (I got sucked into that medieval soap opera because of the HBO adaptation)
George R. R. Martin is starting to worry me though. At that rate this series is going, he's going to be another Robert Jordan and finish the story from the grave.

KartRacerBoy
08-19-2011, 01:54 PM
you folks make me feel dumb. I am likely the least-educated guy on the forums - but still..geesh. Maybe I should look into this thing you call "reading" :)

There are all kinds of intelligence, from intellectual to social to physicality and more. Me? I tend towards the intellectual since I've never been great at the social kind of intelligence (my wife thinks I would be shot by my fellow soldiers if I ever joined the military; that said, I am pretty good in front of a jury). Nor was I good at making my body do what I told it to (sports).

Look at guys like President Reagan and Carter. Carter was in the nuclear propulsion program of the navy before he left (dad died). Intellectually, he was far above Reagan. On the other hand, Carter couldn't lead a hamster into a excercise wheel. Reagan, although no lover of complex ideas, was a great LEADER. People naturally followed him. It takes all kinds.

Last non fiction book was Man in the Shadows by Efraim Halevy, former Director of the Mossad. It was decent read that details history in the Middle East over the last 20+ years with a behind the scenes accounting of what went on between nations and how those actions shaped the Middle East today.

There is a book out recently regarding lessons to be learned by Israel's anti-terrorism history. Looks interesting but I'm waiting for it to get to my local library. I like to keep a notepad and pen (I'm old fashioned) with me so I jot down book titles at barnes/noble and ask the library to order them, but I didn't have my notepad during my last foray.

I've always got something going on as far as reading goes, but usually I prefer fiction.

Given your strong opinions, this surprises me. I read a lot of fiction (SF mostly) but I also like NF for the knowledge.

ConHog
08-19-2011, 02:25 PM
There are all kinds of intelligence, from intellectual to social to physicality and more. Me? I tend towards the intellectual since I've never been great at the social kind of intelligence (my wife thinks I would be shot by my fellow soldiers if I ever joined the military; that said, I am pretty good in front of a jury). Nor was I good at making my body do what I told it to (sports).

Look at guys like President Reagan and Carter. Carter was in the nuclear propulsion program of the navy before he left (dad died). Intellectually, he was far above Reagan. On the other hand, Carter couldn't lead a hamster into a excercise wheel. Reagan, although no lover of complex ideas, was a great LEADER. People naturally followed him. It takes all kinds.

There is a book out recently regarding lessons to be learned by Israel's anti-terrorism history. Looks interesting but I'm waiting for it to get to my local library. I like to keep a notepad and pen (I'm old fashioned) with me so I jot down book titles at barnes/noble and ask the library to order them, but I didn't have my notepad during my last foray.

Given your strong opinions, this surprises me. I read a lot of fiction (SF mostly) but I also like NF for the knowledge.

Truthfully, I just don't enjoy reading non fiction that much. I have read Beck's books (he's a nut) and Oreilly's ( I actually respect him) and I read a lot of differentr snippets of stuff online, but just to sit down and fight my way through non fiction tome, no thanks, I got enough of that in graduate school. Now I DO watch tons of History network and other educational channels.

I'm also with you on the the different levels of education. My grandfather quit school after 8th grade but was easily one of the smartest men I've ever known. Just LOADS of common sense.

Gaffer
08-19-2011, 04:53 PM

Currently reading the Game of Thrones series (I got sucked into that medieval soap opera because of the HBO adaptation)
George R. R. Martin is starting to worry me though. At that rate this series is going, he's going to be another Robert Jordan and finish the story from the grave.

I'm just finishing up book 5 of the series. I hope he doesn't put them out yearly or more. I watched the series online after I had already read the first two books. There is no way HBO will ever complete that series.

darin
08-19-2011, 06:21 PM
I've read the twilight series. (shame)

Enjoyed them.

:)

Abbey Marie
08-19-2011, 06:26 PM
KRB- I have Ratification in my pile of books to read soon.

I already read Declaration. Similar idea, good read.

ConHog
08-19-2011, 06:38 PM

Enjoyed them.

*makes note that dmp is gay*

I'm not judging you though man.............

J.T
08-21-2011, 05:57 PM

Enjoyed them.

*glances at thread title*

KartRacerBoy
08-21-2011, 06:41 PM
KRB- I have Ratification in my pile of books to read soon.

I already read Declaration. Similar idea, good read.

Let me know how you think they compare. I read reviews of Ratification on Amazon and someone noted that book but also said Ratification was much more extensive. And textbookish.

KartRacerBoy
08-31-2011, 08:26 PM
I'm not sure if my latest book will be of interest to the posters here. I just finished "The Line Upon the Wind" by Noel Mostert. It's about sailing naval warfare from the 1600s onwards. Simply awesome stuff if you like things like this. Amazing detail on everything from maintaining wooden ship hull integrity to crew health and survival. And great on ship of the line tactics.

Link: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=The+line+upon+the+wind&rh=n%3A283155%2Ck%3AThe+line+upon+the+wind&ajr=0

logroller
08-31-2011, 08:41 PM
*makes note that dmp is gay*

I'm not judging you though man.............

I think he's just experimenting...
DMP. Sexual orientation= unsure.

revelarts
09-13-2011, 08:17 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/513HgmMFdRL._SL160_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-dp,TopRight,12,-18_SH30_OU01_AA115_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/John-Newton-Disgrace-Amazing-Grace/dp/1581348487/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315919469&sr=8-1)

John Newton: From Disgrace to Amazing Grace (http://www.amazon.com/John-Newton-Disgrace-Amazing-Grace/dp/1581348487/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315919469&sr=8-1)
Jonathan William Patrick Aitken

The Former Slave Trader turned preacher turned Abolitionist
and Writer of the Gospel song Amazing Grace.