PDA

View Full Version : I was a Depressed Child.....how bout you?

chloe
08-19-2011, 08:56 PM
What kind of kid were you, how does your family describe you were as a child when telling about you to "outsiders" of the family?

chloe
08-19-2011, 08:58 PM
My family says I was so quiet at times they wondered where I was, when I got a little older they said I was funny.:rolleyes:

Kathianne
08-19-2011, 11:54 PM
I was the problem child. Had to have my way and my brother would go along with me, it helped that he was 18 months younger than me. We always had 'chores.' One of which was to wash, dry, and put away the dishes. I hated washing, the rule was 'every other night.' I found that by threatening to throw up when putting my hands in the water, he'd wash. Needless to say, that worked. ;)

When he was 7 and I turning 9, we went to Sear's with my mom. There were these really cute ear muffs, powder blue. I wanted them, my mom said, 'We'll see.' I threw a fit. She tried to calm me down, then we left without buying anything. A couple weeks later, I went into one of my desk drawers, and there were the earmuffs! I ran and hugged my mom! My brother and dad went to Sear's that night and returned the earmuffs. The security guard explained that while he was too little to go to jail, my dad could, as he was responsible. I think that's when law enforcement became part of his life!

:laugh2:

SassyLady
08-20-2011, 12:25 AM
Well....got my face slapped a few times for being "smart-mouthed". My siblings would say I was a bitch ... was the oldest of seven and always had to take care of everyone else. Parents were alcoholics so I had to be the parent. Teachers and school chums would probably describe me as shy, smart and responsible.

It wasn't until I was in my 40's that I was diagnosed as clinically depressed, with PTSD and hyper-vigilant ... from being sexually and physically abused as a kid. Once I discovered Ambien things really changed; able to get a good night's sleep, and symptoms are minimum.

Abbey Marie
08-20-2011, 09:18 AM
I think my parents would be hard-pressed to describe me as a child. They didn't seem very interested.
I was the baby- two older brothers.
Shy. Read a lot; spent a ton of my time at the local library (Sir Evil is right again!)
Catholic schools 3rd-12th grades. Failed penmanship in 3rd grade.
Grew up in the projects in the Bronx, so going out to play was always a little scary. Between that, and the Hispanics always sexually taunting, I learned to be practically invisible.
One parent was physically ( NOT sexually, thank God) abusive to all three of us. (Proud to say that when I became a mom, I broke the abuse cycle).

I guess that doesn't sound like much fun, but we did play lots of games together, and I learned to be street-wise; a valuable talent.

chloe
08-20-2011, 12:16 PM
I was the problem child. Had to have my way and my brother would go along with me, it helped that he was 18 months younger than me. We always had 'chores.' One of which was to wash, dry, and put away the dishes. I hated washing, the rule was 'every other night.' I found that by threatening to throw up when putting my hands in the water, he'd wash. Needless to say, that worked. ;)

When he was 7 and I turning 9, we went to Sear's with my mom. There were these really cute ear muffs, powder blue. I wanted them, my mom said, 'We'll see.' I threw a fit. She tried to calm me down, then we left without buying anything. A couple weeks later, I went into one of my desk drawers, and there were the earmuffs! I ran and hugged my mom! My brother and dad went to Sear's that night and returned the earmuffs. The security guard explained that while he was too little to go to jail, my dad could, as he was responsible. I think that's when law enforcement became part of his life!

:laugh2:

OHHH I loved your memory, it made me crackup, I was thin king about how when my kids were little I used to read them a story called , "mama, do you love me?" and in it the little girl was a nonny and she liked to imagine doing mischievious things and then would ask her mom if she did this or that would she still love her:laugh2: I think it reminded me of the story because the little girl wore earmuffs as she was from alaska.

chloe
08-20-2011, 12:19 PM
Well....got my face slapped a few times for being "smart-mouthed". My siblings would say I was a bitch ... was the oldest of seven and always had to take care of everyone else. Parents were alcoholics so I had to be the parent. Teachers and school chums would probably describe me as shy, smart and responsible.

It wasn't until I was in my 40's that I was diagnosed as clinically depressed, with PTSD and hyper-vigilant ... from being sexually and physically abused as a kid. Once I discovered Ambien things really changed; able to get a good night's sleep, and symptoms are minimum.

Our childhoods were similiar, only I am the baby in my family and i was very quiet I blended in, I was pretty obediant as a child. My sister was the lippy one in our family.

Did you family make white rice with milk melted butter and sugar for dinner? When I was little my best friend came from a family of 7 and thats what they had constantly for dinner LOL>:laugh2:

Kathianne
08-20-2011, 12:20 PM
OHHH I loved your memory, it made me crackup, I was thin king about how when my kids were little I used to read them a story called , "mama, do you love me?" and in it the little girl was a nonny and she liked to imagine doing mischievious things and then would ask her mom if she did this or that would she still love her:laugh2: I think it reminded me of the story because the little girl wore earmuffs as she was from alaska.

While I was a brat at home, not to mention pretty manipulative with my brother and dad, I was very quiet outside of there. In fact at school was a selective mute. Really. Like Abbey I was very much into reading, much more than television. The only shows I have some real recollection of was The Man From UNCLE and Dark Shadows; Laugh In when a bit older, then Saturday Night Live. Other than those? Not too much.

I had one good friend from the time I was 3, we're still BFF's. ;)

chloe
08-20-2011, 12:23 PM
I think my parents would be hard-pressed to describe me as a child at all. They didn't seem very interested.
I was the baby- two older brothers.
Shy. Read a lot; spent a ton of my time at the local library (Sir Evil is right again!)
Catholic schools 3rd-12th grades. Failed penmanship in 3rd grade.
Grew up in the projects in the Bronx, so going out to play was always a little scary. Between that, and the Hispanics always sexually taunting, I learned to be practically invisible.
One parent was physically abusive to all three of us. Regularly. (Proud to say that when I became a mom, I broke the abuse cycle).

I guess that doesn't sound like much fun, but we did play lots of games together, and I learned to be street-wise; a valuable talent.

I would never have thought you grew up in the rought neighborhoods, you seem so Poised, full of grace and gentle.

I was shy as a kid too, introverted and in my own world of daydreams (some things never change eh?)

That's so neat how you ovecame great obstacles and broke the family cycle of abuse.:salute:

ConHog
08-20-2011, 12:43 PM
I was the kid that at best was forgotten about, and at worst was picked on, until I joined the National Guard and turned into a man who knew that I didn't have to take shit off of anyone. My life truly sucked until that decision. I sometimes wonder where I would be if I had told my recruiter no thanks.

Of course the bullying shaped my entire life. I joined the military and found that I liked , no make that LOVE to be the person who finds someone who is bullying another and slaps the shit out of them just to see how they like it.

chloe
08-20-2011, 12:45 PM
I was the kid that at best was forgotten about, and at worst was picked on, until I joined the National Guard and turned into a man who knew that I didn't have to take shit off of anyone. My life truly sucked until that decision. I sometimes wonder where I would be if I had told my recruiter no thanks.

Of course the bullying shaped my entire life. I joined the military and found that I liked , no make that LOVE to be the person who finds someone who is bullying another and slaps the shit out of them just to see how they like it.

My oldest kid was bullied and as a mom its heart wrenching I felt so powerless because I worked as a single mom and couldnt always be there when she went through horrible taunting and ridicule.

logroller
08-20-2011, 01:38 PM
I don't know how my family would have describe me as a child. Now they say I'm smart and funny. My mother was over-protective, so I was a bit of a recluse-- spent my time playing with legos, taking stuff apart and reading non-fiction (mostly encyclopedias). I got picked on a lot by older kids, mostly for using big words.(Something I still get teased for) As a result, I became shy and introverted. I think I found humor allowed me to avoid confrontation. It worked for the most part, as I was 30 years old before I got into a fight. (If you could call getting jumped while I was dragging my friend, drunk and talking shit, to the car a fight) Interestingly, my mother had no problem with me hanging out girls, so I spent most of my time doing that. In high school, I had quite a few friends with benefits, but only two girlfriends. Not surprisingly, I rejected all that when I went away to college, joined a fraternity, partied hard and flunked out, (3 times from two colleges). Luckily, fate would smile upon me and I would meet my wife, who would give inspiration and purpose. I'm still trying to figure out what I give her, other than three beautiful kids, which she gets most of the credit for. Anyhow, I'm glad people come forth to share their stories here; I think everybody has those not so great aspects of their life, it's what drives us to be better.

gabosaurus
08-22-2011, 10:28 PM
I was really shy and quiet up until 9th grade or so. I pretty much had to be. I was everything that was unpopular in high school -- short, plain, flat chested and nerdy. My two best friends pulled me out of it. They were both extroverted and wanted to make the most of high school. So I went way over to the other side and became a wild party girl for a while. That wasn't me either.
I was a bipolar kid who didn't realize it until it beat me over the head and knocked me down in college.

chloe
08-22-2011, 10:37 PM
I was really shy and quiet up until 9th grade or so. I pretty much had to be. I was everything that was unpopular in high school -- short, plain, flat chested and nerdy. My two best friends pulled me out of it. They were both extroverted and wanted to make the most of high school. So I went way over to the other side and became a wild party girl for a while. That wasn't me either.
I was a bipolar kid who didn't realize it until it beat me over the head and knocked me down in college.

You did real well for yourself and overcame alot.:cool:

ConHog
08-22-2011, 10:42 PM

Short, plain, nerdy, AND flat chested? RAWR.

SassyLady
08-22-2011, 10:58 PM
Our childhoods were similiar, only I am the baby in my family and i was very quiet I blended in, I was pretty obediant as a child. My sister was the lippy one in our family.

Did you family make white rice with milk melted butter and sugar for dinner? When I was little my best friend came from a family of 7 and thats what they had constantly for dinner LOL>:laugh2:

OMG ... I thought we were the only ones that did that! Everything came from the welfare office...the rice, the butter, the powdered milk, sugar ... we would also put some cinnamon on it. When you have seven kids it goes a long way ... we had it for breakfast a lot. For dinner we had cornbread and milk.

Oh, and we didn't call it dinner .... it was supper.

chloe
08-22-2011, 11:44 PM
OMG ... I thought we were the only ones that did that! Everything came from the welfare office...the rice, the butter, the powdered milk, sugar ... we would also put some cinnamon on it. When you have seven kids it goes a long way ... we had it for breakfast a lot. For dinner we had cornbread and milk.

Oh, and we didn't call it dinner .... it was supper.

nope:laugh2:

KartRacerBoy
08-23-2011, 06:02 AM
Youngest of three. Two older sisters, a year and two years older than me. I learned early that girls are inherently evil. Probably the one story I believe from the bible! One sister would make me play Barbies (usually about a half an hour) before we played cars and trucks outside in the dirt for hours. Ken doll would regulary get his ass kicked by GI Joe with the Kung Fu grip! And the Barbies usually lost limbs to Tonka truck accidents. Years later my sister said "Of course I didn't really like playing Barbies. I just LOVED making you play Barbie!"

fj1200
08-23-2011, 07:06 AM
I just LOVED making you play Barbie!"

That explains the toes.

KartRacerBoy
08-23-2011, 07:53 AM
That explains the toes.

You are such a jealous bitch, fj. :lol:

cadet
11-09-2011, 09:56 AM
My family would say I stood up for my family, my friends, but not myself.
Basically, I almost beat the crud out of some kid when I was 5 because he was picking on my sister.

I'd say I was quiet, anti-social, and a doormat for my "friends."
was this way all the way up till my sophomore year in high school.
that's when i took my dads advice, told all those so called "friends" they were a-holes, and that I hated them all. Made new friends, and now you couldn't get me to shut up if you tried ;)

CSM
11-09-2011, 10:54 AM
Second oldest. I guess my family would say I was the comic. Pretty much an independent spirit. Played outside ALL the time; did lots of hunting and fishing from the time I was twelve. Liked to read a lot, mostly science fiction. I wasn't a "social outcast" but did prefer to do my own thing. Girls were just strange but fascinatiing creatures and I was pretty shy around them. Homelife was stable and definitely not abusive. We were dirt poor but always managed to have plenty to eat and durable if not fashionable clothes on our backs. I was a poor student in high school because I just didn't care about things like algebra and biology. Hated French class the most. Joined the Army at 17 and found my calling. Loved being a soldier.

DragonStryk72
11-09-2011, 07:15 PM
What kind of kid were you, how does your family describe you were as a child when telling about you to "outsiders" of the family?

I disassembled stuff as a kid, locks, whatever I could pry apart or use my little fingernails to loosen the screws on. One time I actually disassembled the tv, back when it still had glass tubes in the back, and yes, I got those too, apparently. It took my mom all day to get the thing back together

logroller
11-09-2011, 07:19 PM
I disassembled stuff as a kid, locks, whatever I could pry apart or use my little fingernails to loosen the screws on. One time I actually disassembled the tv, back when it still had glass tubes in the back, and yes, I got those too, apparently. It took my mom all day to get the thing back together

Oh yea! Me too. I'll never forget the time I disassembled a camera and when I cut the wires to the flash capacitor, it flashed alright-- I saw spots for a day.:laugh:

I was alawys a bit of a loner, playing endlessly in my room with legos or watching TV while reading encyclopedias-- I'm a huge nerd.

DragonStryk72
11-09-2011, 07:36 PM
Oh yea! Me too. I'll never forget the time I disassembled a camera and when I cut the wires to the flash capacitor, it flashed alright-- I saw spots for a day.:laugh:

I was alawys a bit of a loner, playing endlessly in my room with legos or watching TV while reading encyclopedias-- I'm a huge nerd.

legos were the BEST though! I accidentally trapped myself in a lego village I was building at one point, because I kept building around, and lost track of time.

Abbey Marie
03-10-2014, 03:04 PM
With so many new people, I thought we could revisit this old thread. Maybe others would like to post.

Yes, I'm necromancing again. :laugh2:

aboutime
03-10-2014, 03:43 PM
With so many new people, I thought we could revisit this old thread. Maybe others would like to post.

Abbey. I appreciate your efforts to revisit this thread again. Unfortunately, for me. So much time has passed, and life experiences have been so many...it would literally take too much time, other than in book form, to ramble-on here.
I look at life as one, very long...uninteresting story for many. And I also feel...sharing so much I would like to talk about here...would merely become a target for some. Some who wouldn't possibly believe some, if not most of the things I have Personally experienced without sounding like fabrication.

As for being a depressed child. Back when I was a child. We had no idea what Depression...2014 style was. Life was too crowded with trying to survive day to day, and week to week.
Can't imagine how life might have been back then with IPOD'S, CELL-PHONES, and BUSY-BODIES trying to run our life in every way.

jimnyc
03-10-2014, 04:27 PM

I'll take a stab at this a few years later! :coffee:

I was full of energy and always on the move. They would tell you that I was a little wise ass. A trouble maker. One with dead on aim that was learned from tossing rocks and snowballs at cars, that turned into the football and baseball on the field. That I was shy underneath. That I was perhaps dropped on my head soon after birth. That I might have some emotional issues. Who the hell knows, I wouldn't listen to shit them bastards say anyway! :laugh2:

jimnyc
03-10-2014, 04:29 PM

Never heard the term necromancing before, but I can see how it fits! I thought you wrote necrophilia when I first did my speed reading. And now you know that I can't speed read worth a damn!

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
03-10-2014, 05:21 PM
I was the middle child of the 13 kids my parents had. I was very advanced from a young age because by second grade I was studying and reading on weekends my fifth grade brother's text books --all of them . Back in those days you had to pay for a locker, we never could afford that until much later in high school for me so we brought our books home everyday. . By my sixth grade year I was heavy into my older brother's Senior year text books. He indulged me by bringing most of them home every Friday. I still found time to hunt almost everyday it seems. We ate what we killed back then, rabbits, squirrels, etc.. My mother picked me to take her anger at life out on. Because of that I became more stubborn and very mean as a teenager(15) ,especially so after my father's death. That totally broke me spiritually and I spent the next 14 years in total rebellion against God and world. My second wife brought me out of most of that and now I am a mellow fellow! ;) At least when compared to my wild younger years I am! :laugh: Still as stubborn as a damn Missouri mule and ready to fight at the drop of a hat.. - :laugh:--Tyr

Abbey Marie
03-10-2014, 05:42 PM
Abbey. I appreciate your efforts to revisit this thread again. Unfortunately, for me. So much time has passed, and life experiences have been so many...it would literally take too much time, other than in book form, to ramble-on here.
I look at life as one, very long...uninteresting story for many. And I also feel...sharing so much I would like to talk about here...would merely become a target for some. Some who wouldn't possibly believe some, if not most of the things I have Personally experienced without sounding like fabrication.

As for being a depressed child. Back when I was a child. We had no idea what Depression...2014 style was. Life was too crowded with trying to survive day to day, and week to week.
Can't imagine how life might have been back then with IPOD'S, CELL-PHONES, and BUSY-BODIES trying to run our life in every way.

As you can see from this thread, no one responded with any sarcasm or criticisms. If someone does now, we will remove them from the thread. We will always have our random nasties, but you should feel comfortable expressing yourself. I hope you will.
:cool:

Abbey Marie
03-10-2014, 05:42 PM
Never heard the term necromancing before, but I can see how it fits! I thought you wrote necrophilia when I first did my speed reading. And now you know that I can't speed read worth a damn!

I'm glad you went back and checked!

aboutime
03-10-2014, 06:20 PM
As you can see from this thread, no one responded with any sarcasm or criticisms. If someone does now, we will remove them from the thread. We will always have our random nasties, but you should feel comfortable expressing your self. I hope you will.
:cool:

Thanks Abbey. Maybe I was stymied by the 'necromancing':laugh:. Ya know? I'm old...but not quite...that old!:laugh:

gabosaurus
03-10-2014, 06:23 PM
My sister and I were both quiet and studious as kids. That changed in middle school because my parents made us get involved in activities. My sister began running and got into theater and drama. I did a lot of academic activities. I got pretty morose and depressed in middle school and was bullied quite a lot. Until my sister forced me to learn to defend myself. Eventually I morphed into the loud, opinionated and thoroughly overbearing person I am now. :cool:

Kathianne
03-10-2014, 08:57 PM
Funny thing, school wasn't my thing. I loved kindergarten, 3 blocks from my house and made lots of friends. Then in first grade got sent to Catholic School, first day the teacher didn't show up, second day again a no show. 40 kids in the room. 3rd day a nun hit me during recess. That's when I stopped talking. They never told my parents I didn't speak, not once in 6 years!

I got hit in 4th grade by a really, really old nun, Sr. Rose DeLima, (about 5 years later they announced she died in church and I did a 'silent clap', my mom saw and hit me in the head, ala Gibbs!). One day I packed up my locker and left around 10am. Didn't say a word, just walked out. My mom met me in between school and home, about a mile, the nurse had called her and said I 'just left.' I just kept telling her I wanted to be away from that school. I got moved in 6th grade to the jr. high.

I loved jr. high! LOL! Lots of friends and president of my class, all three years. Then came high school.

It started alright, until the 3rd day when it wasn't 'freshmen' anymore. It was soooo crowed. The school was built for 2300 kids, our class was over 1800. The class behind us was just over 2000. :rolleyes: 8 shifts, 6 lunch periods. Open campus. Drugs in the washrooms, hallways, there was even a smoking section outside!
(Unlike Abbey or Chloe, this was an upper class suburb and the school was very highly rated, still is! (About 15 years ago they built a new school in the same location that would hit capacity at 4200 students. They are quite shy of that number, though it's still a 'big school.' Between so. and sr. years, I missed over 165 days of school. ;)

While I read a lot and was involved in things like a court watching project for the League of Women Voters, high school just wasn't where I was comfortable and it was where I developed claustrophobia! (I'm 5'1" and at the time about 85lbs. I was trying to exit classroom doors into a sea of giants! I lost.)

Luckily I could show up and take tests and pass. Open campus led to the wonderful world of 'homework won't be graded, but you need to know it for the tests.' NOT.

Funny thing, as soon as I started in college, (thanks to my mom), I really settled down and worked. Weird how that worked out.

I teach. I taught for over 10 years in Catholic School. How weird is that?

Abbey Marie
03-11-2014, 01:16 PM
Kath:

1. You liked middle school, and isn't that where you mostly taught? and
2. You knew you could do it better (teaching).

gabosaurus
03-12-2014, 12:13 AM
I went to an under performing high school that didn't breed success. That didn't mean that teachers allowed you to give up. My school had dropouts and misfits, but we also had students who earned scholarships to outstanding schools.
When I was in ninth grade, I wanted to take easy classes that had my friends in them. The counselor wouldn't allow me to do it. She knew I was smarter than that and signed me up for advanced classes (with my parents permission, of course). The next year, the math department chair pretty much forced me into the competition team with a very skillfully executed guilt trip.
My biggest coup was in 11th grade when my best friend and I got to participate in the district wide mock government. Each of the high schools in the district sent reps to form a mock Congress. We talked a good game (in true government form, we promised a lot and delivered nothing :cool: ) and took it more seriously than others. Thus, my friend was chosen Speaker of the House and I was the Majority leader. We considered only the bills we liked and no one spoke without our permission. No one liked us.
Strangely enough, we were not selected for the Southern Region mock Congress. :laugh:

SassyLady
03-12-2014, 01:47 AM
I loved school because it was my escape from the horrible home life. I would say that I excelled in academics but would have loved to participate in after school activities. With the responsibilities of home and having no one to be my taxi driver (home was 45 minutes from school), I missed out on a lot. I was really good in sports (in gym class) but no competitions (loved tennis and archery).

I didn't go to college until I was raising three kids and had my own business (30's - 40's) and going to night class. It took over 15 years to get degree doing it at night. I love learning and always have.

Because my family all have a criminal record and dropped out of high school I'm described as the black sheep of the family! :slap:

DragonStryk72
03-12-2014, 07:16 AM
I was sort of an all-around oddball. I didn't like strangers touching me, but I'm very easy with it with close friends and such. I was usually extremely quiet, but I could then go off on a verbal breakaway for nearly an hour. I was afraid of a lot of things, but still did them... to some hilarious results. I wouldn't defend myself in a fight, but if even one person next to me, even someone who bullied me, was in a fight, it was on, no matter how many people were involved.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
03-12-2014, 09:18 AM
I loved school because it was my escape from the horrible home life. I would say that I excelled in academics but would have loved to participate in after school activities. With the responsibilities of home and having no one to be my taxi driver (home was 45 minutes from school), I missed out on a lot. I was really good in sports (in gym class) but no competitions (loved tennis and archery).

I didn't go to college until I was raising three kids and had my own business (30's - 40's) and going to night class. It took over 15 years to get degree doing it at night. I love learning and always have.

Because my family all have a criminal record and dropped out of high school I'm described as the black sheep of the family! :slap: Only my mother's baby brother had a criminal record. And yes , he was the black sheep of that family. I was the most rebellious one in my family but never the black sheep. That honor went to my much younger twin brothers. Both started drinking and drugging a few years after dad died and his influence was no longer a factor. . They were 14 years old at the start of that and have only recently let up a bit. Ronald is likely to die fairly soon from his chronic alcoholism and Donald will not be far behind with his drug use. I am amazed they both have lasted this long. My entire family has spent over 30 long years and tons of money trying to rehabilitate them but no success. Both in their early fifties and will undoubtedly die having not changed. I wish they would but its entirely their choice. Nobody can do it for them. Sad all the way around. I no longer attempt to change them except to occasionally remind them that their sad state of living is their own doing and only they can choose to change it, they both refuse..-Tyr

Said1
03-12-2014, 02:24 PM
I was a weird kid, obsessed with books and music and weird things. When I was a teenager I was REALLY, REALLY bad, but learned to stay under my mother's radar - which could have been hard being an only child, thankfully she didn't pay much attention. HATED school, basically anything that interfered with my personal freedom :laugh2: Left home at 16, managed to finish high school (despite getting kicked out twice, quitting and two different alternative high school programs), and college but didn't really smarten up totally until about 27ish. But it's all water under the bridge now, thankfully I'm not in a penitentiary somewhere, so all things considered it could have been a lot worse and no federal convictions so far. :thumb:

SassyLady
03-14-2014, 02:04 AM
So, I might have already told this story and some of you might remember it. While I don't have, and still don't have, any black marks on file I was almost arrested by Homeland Security at LAX for having a stun gun in my baggage.

Thankfully, being in my 60's and not looking like a terrorist (thank goodness I had my makeup on :laugh:), and having to show them all my ID (military one came in handy), I was not detained. They did keep the stun gun. The cops (not Homeland) were intrigued because they had never seen one like it before. They thought it was cool and the fact that I was a Mrs. CSM, they had my back with Homeland (which were a bunch of dorks).

The TSA agent saw it first (it looks like a cell phone I forgot to put in my checked luggage for trip home) and then called in the HS agents who then called the LAPD. After they ran a background check on me the cops teased me by saying no one gets to be in their 60's squeaky clean. As Said1 mentioned ... staying under the radar is tricky!!!

Anyway, that is the closest I've come to being put in handcuffs (well, except the time I smacked my husband's ex wife ... which is another story for another day).

:coffee:

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
03-14-2014, 06:45 AM
So, I might have already told this story and some of you might remember it. While I don't have, and still don't have, any black marks on file I was almost arrested by Homeland Security at LAX for having a stun gun in my baggage.

Thankfully, being in my 60's and not looking like a terrorist (thank goodness I had my makeup on :laugh:), and having to show them all my ID (military one came in handy), I was not detained. They did keep the stun gun. The cops (not Homeland) were intrigued because they had never seen one like it before. They thought it was cool and the fact that I was a Mrs. CSM, they had my back with Homeland (which were a bunch of dorks).

The TSA agent saw it first (it looks like a cell phone I forgot to put in my checked luggage for trip home) and then called in the HS agents who then called the LAPD. After they ran a background check on me the cops teased me by saying no one gets to be in their 60's squeaky clean. As Said1 mentioned ... staying under the radar is tricky!!!

Anyway, that is the closest I've come to being put in handcuffs (well, except the time I smacked my husband's ex wife ... which is another story for another day).

:coffee: Bravo! Smacking the ex-wife is the story I'd like to read.. ;) --Tyr

Abbey Marie
04-10-2014, 02:55 PM
I find it interesting that so many of us were introverted kids. Many of us read a lot, too. I'll bet there is a correlation between those traits and being active on message boards.

I guess the extroverts prefer to be out meeting new people all day. ;)

tailfins
04-10-2014, 03:46 PM
As young as third grade my parents got letters from the school counselor that I didn't socialize with other kids. It was obvious and extreme. I'm not quiet, but am told I talk "at" people instead of "to" them. I still don't really understand the concept of a conversation. Oddly enough, it's not really necessary to socialize to succeed. If one learns to advertize instead of socialize, it still works. I like one way communication where I do the talking since deep down I don't care what someone else thinks.

jimnyc
04-10-2014, 04:23 PM
I like one way communication where I do the talking since deep down I don't care what someone else thinks.

:lol: I give you an A+ for honesty :laugh2:

gabosaurus
04-10-2014, 05:13 PM
You never know how kids are going to progress. When I was in middle school, my mom got notices that I was shy and didn't participate in class. When I was in 10th grass, my mom got a note that I talked too much and corrected other kids.
My mom recognized the latter note. Her mom got the same one when she was in high school. :laugh:

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
04-10-2014, 05:21 PM
You never know how kids are going to progress. When I was in middle school, my mom got notices that I was shy and didn't participate in class. When I was in 10th grass, my mom got a note that I talked too much and corrected other kids.
My mom recognized the latter note. Her mom got the same one when she was in high school. :laugh:

When I was in 10th grass, my mom got a note that I talked too much and corrected other kids.
^^^^^^ And you didn't smoke pot, huh?? :slap: ;)--Tyr

gabosaurus
04-10-2014, 05:57 PM
^^^^^^ And you didn't smoke pot, huh?? :slap: ;)--Tyr

With as radical and hyper as I once was, my parents probably considered baking me pot brownies, just to mellow me out a bit. :laugh:
My mom and dad have never admitted to partaking in hallucinogenic substances, but I have my suspicions. They did grow up as 60's hippies. :cool:

aboutime
04-10-2014, 06:00 PM
With as radical and hyper as I once was, my parents probably considered baking me pot brownies, just to mellow me out a bit. :laugh:
My mom and dad have never admitted to partaking in hallucinogenic substances, but I have my suspicions. They did grow up as 60's hippies. :cool:

GABBY. You are still DEPRESSED, and you are trying really hard to make everyone else Depressed. But your MISERY IS ALL YOURS.

Abbey Marie
04-10-2014, 07:14 PM
GABBY. You are still DEPRESSED, and you are trying really hard to make everyone else Depressed. But your MISERY IS ALL YOURS.

AT, that is exactly what I said would not be cool to do in here, when you expressed your fears that people might do it to you. Can't we all be comfortable expressing ourselves honestly in one thread?

aboutime
04-10-2014, 07:18 PM
AT, that is exactly what I said would not be cool to do in here, when you expressed your fears that people might do it to you. Can't we all be comfortable expressing ourselves honestly in one thread?

Sure thing Abbey. As long as being cool is applied equally. I can be just as comfortable. And, as you have seen. I was right about my fears. Thanks.

Abbey Marie
04-10-2014, 09:23 PM
Sure thing Abbey. As long as being cool is applied equally. I can be just as comfortable. And, as you have seen. I was right about my fears. Thanks.

No one is being treated differently so long as they don't go after any one else.
How were you right about your fears?