PDA

View Full Version : Prayers, please

Abbey Marie
08-26-2011, 03:35 PM
We are in Delaware, and Irene is heading our way late Saturday through Sunday afternoon. Parts of our house flooded twice in the last two weeks from heavy rains, so you can imagine what we have in store during the 5"-10" predicted this weekend.

Even worse, we are just below a stretch of woods, and the trees do fall on occasion. Hurricane-force winds may knock one of them down, and our home is a prime target.

We've done what we could to reroute water, but now it's all in God's hands.

chloe
08-26-2011, 03:45 PM
We are in Delaware, and Irene is heading our way late Saturday through Sunday afternoon. Parts of our house flooded twice in the last two weeks from heavy rains, so you can imagine what we have in store during the 5"-10" predicted this weekend.

Even worse, we are just below a stretch of woods, and the trees do fall on occasion. Hurricane-force winds may knock one of them down, and our home is a prime target.

I have an Aunt and 2 Cousins in Delaware. I will be holding good thoughts.:salute:

ConHog
08-26-2011, 03:47 PM
Prayers from my family to yours.

J.T
08-26-2011, 04:05 PM
Best wishes. Hopefully you win this crapshoot. If not, then I hope at the very least our grossly incompetent government is making preparations to provide any needed aid to those effected.

KartRacerBoy
08-26-2011, 04:12 PM
I'm a godless atheist, but good luck.

red states rule
08-26-2011, 04:14 PM

Will do Abbey. Take care, get home safe, and let us know how things are with you

Gaffer
08-26-2011, 05:01 PM
You have the warnings and your making preparations, that's all you can do except sit tight and wait. The heavy rains earlier showed you where the weak points were and now you are able to reenforce those areas. You all will be fine. You still have my best wishes.

KartRacerBoy
08-26-2011, 10:11 PM
I'm pulling my hair out. My silly old 79 yr old mom and 84 yr old stepdad have decided to ride Irene out in their Connecticut house that is about 5' above mean high tide and on an estuary. Yeah, that'll work out well. Dad is halfway to Alzheimers and my mother (seriously) isn't far behind.

Well, perhaps I'll get my inheritance faster than I thought. Although flooded.

Good God, people are stupid.

SassyLady
08-26-2011, 10:26 PM

Sending prayers your way Abbey. :angel:

Gaffer
08-26-2011, 10:31 PM
I'm pulling my hair out. My silly old 79 yr old mom and 84 yr old stepdad have decided to ride Irene out in their Connecticut house that is about 5' above mean high tide and on an estuary. Yeah, that'll work out well. Dad is halfway to Alzheimers and my mother (seriously) isn't far behind.

Well, perhaps I'll get my inheritance faster than I thought. Although flooded.

Good God, people are stupid.

Due to their sea level location it would be best for them to go somewhere for the evening at least. The storm is going to hit NC and the rest of the area will get drenched in rain and some high winds. But it's only a cat 2 so it won't be too bad. The worst part is where it comes ashore at and how many tornadoes it spawns after coming ashore. Hopefully you can talk your parents into at least getting to higher ground until it's over.

darin
08-26-2011, 10:47 PM
Hang in there, Abbey.

Gaffer
08-26-2011, 11:09 PM
Be prepared for power outages.

Kathianne
08-27-2011, 12:33 AM

Abbey, you are in my prayers! I've been so worried about my son in Fairfax, VA and niece and nephew-in-law, ;) in Manhattan I've been oblivious to others I know. Well the son seems in good shape, just lots of rain, wind and flooding predicted, but he's in an apartment with a gold plated renter's policy and on the 3rd floor. Niece's Wall Street law firm told them to get out of Dodge. She did. She's home in IL. Her husband? Not so lucky. Spent the past 24 hours give or take, helping with evacuation of the hospital. Now he's 'on call' until further notice. We don't know where, likely another hospital; their apartment is across the street from niece's law firm and that's been evacuated.

Seems that most of the east coast has been saturated with rain. I know there are fears about storm surge and high tides, especially with NY. Still it seems to me that from PA to ME, from VA to DE the real threat is all this rain onto land that's already saturated. There is no where for the rain to go.

KarlMarx
08-27-2011, 10:45 AM
My prayers are with you, Abbey.

Abbey Marie
08-27-2011, 02:00 PM
Thank you all so much, my efamily.

The anticipation is tough. I will check back in later tonight if we still have power. The brunt of it is due from midnight to around 8 am. We bought wine.

Gaffer
08-27-2011, 04:10 PM
Thank you all so much, my efamily.

The anticipation is tough. I will check back in later tonight if we still have power. The brunt of it is due from midnight to around 8 am. We bought wine.

As long as your not directly in the path and taking the brunt of it you might as well have a hurricane party. Put the home owners insurance papers in a safe place too.

The waiting is always the worst part.

red states rule
08-27-2011, 04:13 PM
As long as your not directly in the path and taking the brunt of it you might as well have a hurricane party. Put the home owners insurance papers in a safe place too.

The waiting is always the worst part.

Here TS winds (will probably lose power) and God knows how much rain tonight. Looks like where I am at we will get the outer bands

Stiil it will be a PITA

Getting a steady rain right now

Gaffer
08-27-2011, 04:20 PM
Here TS winds (will probably lose power) and God knows how much rain tonight. Looks like where I am at we will get the outer bands

Stiil it will be a PITA

Getting a steady rain right now

Good luck to you too. You should probably prepare for power outages as well. Good thing it's the weekend and most people can stay home.

red states rule
08-27-2011, 04:23 PM
Good luck to you too. You should probably prepare for power outages as well. Good thing it's the weekend and most people can stay home.

I have no reason to leave Gaffer. Went to the store early this morning. It may not be so bad. I sqaw online the winds will be around 35 MPH and taper off towards Sunday evening.

Rain may be around 3 to 5 inches so it may not be as bad as I thought

Gaffer
08-27-2011, 04:40 PM
I have no reason to leave Gaffer. Went to the store early this morning. It may not be so bad. I sqaw online the winds will be around 35 MPH and taper off towards Sunday evening.

Rain may be around 3 to 5 inches so it may not be as bad as I thought

I don't think any of it will be as bad as the media presents it. Where ever the storm makes land fall will get slammed but other than that it will be just wind and rain as usual. Nothing that hasn't been seen a thousand times before.

SassyLady
08-27-2011, 04:41 PM
Abbey ... I remember when my father-in-law went through two major hurricanes in one season (lives in the panhandle of Flordia and they got hit Ivan and I think Frances - 2004). They have a safe room ... room that's right in the middle of their house (which is 7500 square feet .... anyway, it's her jewelry room so it's like a fortress .... they camped out in there during the worst part of the storms. They have 10 acres of producing trees (nuts and fruit) ... and over half of them were lost, two of his three greenhouses were destroyed and some of their roof blew off.

They survived, but it changed their lives. He became very disheartened trying to make the property an income producing property. Now, it's just a hobby farm.

red states rule
08-27-2011, 04:44 PM
I don't think any of it will be as bad as the media presents it. Where ever the storm makes land fall will get slammed but other than that it will be just wind and rain as usual. Nothing that hasn't been seen a thousand times before.

But the damn thing will not weaken as fast as they hoped. It looks like half the storm will be over land and the other half over water.

While I have got less then a quarter inch of rain some parts of VA have gotten over 9 inches and the storm is just getting fired up

red states rule
08-28-2011, 04:55 AM
Looks like this area got by with no problems. No heavy rains, no winds, and this morning it is in the 60's

I hope everyoine else is doing just as well

KarlMarx
08-28-2011, 10:33 AM
Looks like this area got by with no problems. No heavy rains, no winds, and this morning it is in the 60's

I hope everyoine else is doing just as well
I'm glad to hear that you're doing well. I hope that Abbey and everyone else is OK.

red states rule
08-28-2011, 10:35 AM
I'm glad to hear that you're doing well. I hope that Abbey and everyone else is OK.

Me to. NY, NJ, and parts of PA got it pretty good

I hope they log on soon and let us know they are OK

It is nice here. A little rain but the temp in low and there is a nice breeze blowing. I opened the windows and I am letting Mother Nature air the place out

Gaffer
08-28-2011, 08:02 PM
Still waiting to hear from our members in the affected area. We're taking a head count here.

The media is saying oops it wasn't as bad as we thought it would be. DUH.

Kathianne
08-28-2011, 08:44 PM
Abbey's gone black. LOL! I've heard from RSR and Evil. Both alive and not too broke from out of pocket. Evil has some damage, but manageable.

sundaydriver
08-28-2011, 08:46 PM
It was okay at my house a few miles from the Pa./NJ border. Not much wind, no loss of power, just a lot of rain. Some people in the area are flooded and displaced from the Deleware River and some small creeks flooding and a lot of folks are without power. One man was killed by a falling tree after pushing his young son out of the way. Some roads are still closed to flooding and debris, but the main flooding won't occur until Monday when the rivers crest.

Here is my peaceful little creek 95 yards out the back door with pics taken 14 hours apart. The 6 acres on the far side is only 90% flooded. So if you want to buy some waterfront property in Pa., PM me.

red states rule
08-29-2011, 02:31 AM
Looks like just a lot of flooding from the storm. Now it is Canada's problem

http://www.foxnews.com/weather/2011/08/28/hurricane-irene-slams-east-coast-zeroes-in-on-ny/

Abbey Marie
08-29-2011, 08:54 AM
Hey everyone, sorry for the delay. I was up all night watching tornado warnings come and go, so I neeed to rest a bit.

We had some particularly scary moments when we were told to seek shelter from tornados. You may have heard that we did have tornado damage in Delaware. With no basement, that meant the three of us (and our cat, of course), huddled in a coat closet with a lantern and a battery-operated radio. The cat was going a little crazy.

The rain was pretty intense for many, many hours, but the drainage pipe and sump pump my husband put in a couple of days ago worked. Had he not done that, recent flooding into our home would surely have been repeated.

Thank you all so much for the prayers and good wishes. We really are like a family here whne it counts. :cool:

And Gaffer, my husband was impressed with your take on it- that we were able to identify weaknesses on our property thanks to the previous flooding last week. It was a positive way to look at it!