PDA

View Full Version : What's for Dinner?

KartRacerBoy
08-27-2011, 03:15 PM
I've been unemployed for over a year so I've taken up the task of stay at home day. As part of that, I have learned to cook. Luckily, my wife already has a library of 100 cookbooks. So I have a lot to look at and learn from.

Tonight I'm making a marinated pork loin. Marinaid is a lemon, dijon, olive oil blend with various spices. I'm also making chiive risito cakes fried in olive oil and a simple veggie.

I try to make two or three interesting dinners a week since many of the cookbook recipes I like can cost $20/dinner or more. I have no skills yet for looking in the fridge and concocting something on a whim. I try on occasion but my wife is far better at that skill

What are you folks having for dinner?

SassyLady
08-27-2011, 04:56 PM
Grilled petite fillet and veggies.

Gunny
08-27-2011, 05:14 PM
I've been unemployed for over a year so I've taken up the task of stay at home day. As part of that, I have learned to cook. Luckily, my wife already has a library of 100 cookbooks. So I have a lot to look at and learn from.

Tonight I'm making a marinated pork loin. Marinaid is a lemon, dijon, olive oil blend with various spices. I'm also making chiive risito cakes fried in olive oil and a simple veggie.

I try to make two or three interesting dinners a week since many of the cookbook recipes I like can cost $20/dinner or more. I have no skills yet for looking in the fridge and concocting something on a whim. I try on occasion but my wife is far better at that skill

Join the club. Ain't Obamanomics great?

In honor of the Al Gore thread, we're doing dead cow here. Oh, and I was a professional cook before I joined the Marines so I have no problem there.

ConHog
08-27-2011, 06:10 PM
Join the club. Ain't Obamanomics great?

In honor of the Al Gore thread, we're doing dead cow here. Oh, and I was a professional cook before I joined the Marines so I have no problem there.

I LOVE to cook. And have a bit of a talent for it. I don't know that I could make a living doing it, but I love to cook for my family. We had BBQ hamburgers tonight.

darin
08-27-2011, 06:45 PM
I've deleted the bullshit replies from ConHog and OCA, and removed OCA from the thread as he showed ZERO interest in actual participation

For dinner tonite - Jerk Shrimp from the Hotel.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2393&d=1314488669

KartRacerBoy
08-27-2011, 06:47 PM
If you girls want to have a pissing match, get the fuck outta my dinner thread. Christ, can't one thread on this damn forum be half way civil? And mods, delete the pissy posts, please.

Just finished dinner and the chive risotto fried cakes were awesome. First time we tried them, out of the Barefoot Contessa Back to Basics cookbook. If we didn't have my daughter's friend here, I think my wife would agree to pull a George Constanza (Seinfeld) and have sex with me while eating the risotto cakes. Alas, the visitors have put off that experiement!

And the marinated herb pork loin comes from that cookbook, too. Delicious. My mother in law has made pork loin so many times that was as dry as dirt. She tends to overcook things. The marinade really makes the meat moist and delicious. I wish mom in law would learn.

Gaffer
08-27-2011, 06:49 PM
I've deleted the bullshit replies from ConHog and OCA, and removed OCA from the thread as he showed ZERO interest in actual participation

Is it suppose to look like that?

ConHog
08-27-2011, 06:52 PM
Is it suppose to look like that?

I would imagine it looks MUCH better in person, at least I hope it does.

KartRacerBoy
08-27-2011, 06:54 PM

Thank, dmp. BTW, looks delicious! Hope you're enjoying Jamaica.

And once again, what the heck are you doing looking at this forum when you have wife deliciado for dessert?

ConHog
08-27-2011, 06:57 PM

And once again, what the heck are you doing looking at this forum when you have wife deliciado for dessert?

My GUESS would be that the woman needs some sleep once in awhile so she can recharge LOL

Gaffer
08-27-2011, 06:58 PM
I would imagine it looks MUCH better in person, at least I hope it does.

I never cared for shrimp, I think I'll stick with my steak.

Gunny
08-27-2011, 07:10 PM
If you girls want to have a pissing match, get the fuck outta my dinner thread. Christ, can't one thread on this damn forum be half way civil? And mods, delete the pissy posts, please.

Just finished dinner and the chive risotto fried cakes were awesome. First time we tried them, out of the Barefoot Contessa Back to Basics cookbook. If we didn't have my daughter's friend here, I think my wife would agree to pull a George Constanza (Seinfeld) and have sex with me while eating the risotto cakes. Alas, the visitors have put off that experiement!

And the marinated herb pork loin comes from that cookbook, too. Delicious. My mother in law has made pork loin so many times that was as dry as dirt. She tends to overcook things. The marinade really makes the meat moist and delicious. I wish mom in law would learn.

I've only had one or two good pork loins. Most are as you say, dry as dirt. The best one I can recall I of coursed cooked.:laugh: It was marinaded in BBQ sauce overnight then smoked for 5 hours the next day.

Gunny
08-27-2011, 07:11 PM
I never cared for shrimp, I think I'll stick with my steak.

I like both. Together.

Gaffer
08-27-2011, 07:20 PM

I think I have figured out where that extra 40 pounds your carrying comes from. :thumb:

Gunny
08-27-2011, 07:23 PM
I think I have figured out where that extra 40 pounds your carrying comes from. :thumb:

Was thinking the same thing.:laugh:

Missileman
08-27-2011, 07:38 PM
I've only had one or two good pork loins. Most are as you say, dry as dirt. The best one I can recall I of coursed cooked.:laugh: It was marinaded in BBQ sauce overnight then smoked for 5 hours the next day.

Pour some teriyaki glaze over the pork loin and throw it in the oven in a covered roaster. The juiciest, most tender pork loin awaits you.

Gunny
08-27-2011, 07:48 PM
Pour some teriyaki glaze over the pork loin and throw it in the oven in a covered roaster. The juiciest, most tender pork loin awaits you.

I'll give it a shot sometime. Can't do worse than to date.:laugh:

ConHog
08-27-2011, 08:13 PM
Was thinking the same thing.:laugh:

that makes three of us. Hell I run 5 miles a day and swim, and I don't eat fried foods that often.

Missileman
08-27-2011, 08:18 PM
I'll give it a shot sometime. Can't do worse than to date.:laugh:

There's just something about those ceramic covered roasters...I cook my turkeys in one also...always juicy. The roast or turkey actually browns well even though it's covered.

Gunny
08-27-2011, 08:32 PM
There's just something about those ceramic covered roasters...I cook my turkeys in one also...always juicy. The roast or turkey actually browns well even though it's covered.

Yeah, I like those roasters. Best turkey I ever had (I don't like bird) was deep fried. The owner of the company I worked for always fried two for our Christmas party. Surprisingly enough, first year at teh company I got stuck babysitting one.:laugh:

I definitely love rib roast in a ceramic roaster though.

darin
08-27-2011, 08:51 PM

My GUESS would be that the woman needs some sleep once in awhile so she can recharge LOL

Dinner was excellent. She had the Jerk Shrimp in the photo (not our photo, no light for pics, AND my flash was tucked away pending tomorrow's return to the US of A), I had Jerk chicken. Both were great; left a little burn on the lips, just enough, not too spicy.

At our age, we don't do much "dessert'ing" :(

Plus, I think she's still saving herself for the right man. Here she is (picture from two nights ago? last night?) wishing, waiting for her ship to come in.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2398&d=1314496235

ConHog
08-27-2011, 09:04 PM
Yeah, I like those roasters. Best turkey I ever had (I don't like bird) was deep fried. The owner of the company I worked for always fried two for our Christmas party. Surprisingly enough, first year at teh company I got stuck babysitting one.:laugh:

I definitely love rib roast in a ceramic roaster though.

I J'adore fried turkey, but you gotta be real careful when frying it.

darin
08-27-2011, 09:19 PM
^^^Deep Fried bird is all we do anymore when cooking turkey. Nothing else comes close to the goodness, IMO :)

KartRacerBoy
08-27-2011, 09:46 PM

Bitches! :laugh:

KartRacerBoy
08-28-2011, 08:03 AM

I have a turkey breast roulade recipe I want to try becz my wife's family can't cook a whole turkey without drying it to crap (although they all claim it's tasty). But wife says there would be a palace revolution if we had thanksgiving and served a tasty breast rather than crappy dried out turkey so we can't try it. F*cking traditionalists! Viva la revolution!

Gunny
08-28-2011, 09:50 AM
I have a turkey breast roulade recipe I want to try becz my wife's family can't cook a whole turkey without drying it to crap (although they all claim it's tasty). But wife says there would be a palace revolution if we had thanksgiving and served a tasty breast rather than crappy dried out turkey so we can't try it. F*cking traditionalists! Viva la revolution!

I pretty much won't eat it anymore unless it's deep fried. Again, I don't like bird to begin with. And yes, it WILL cause a revolution in the family when you snub your nose at great-great-great-great grandma's turkey n stuffing recipe.

ConHog
08-28-2011, 03:36 PM

Our family pretty much makes it's own traditions now. We have some Chinese people in our family, some Mexicans, and then our own family which are mutts, so the food could be anything. For Thanksgiving we often have fried turkey, but not always. And we have prime rib for Christmas. Not exactly traditional. But tasty.

KartRacerBoy
08-28-2011, 03:41 PM
I've seen too many videos of turkeys being fried and then exploding. I'm surprised you're not afraid of the whole Turkey IED thing. :laugh:

I'm tired of the same old food every Thanksgiving. Even my brother in law's Cajun noodles for the holiday can't make up for the same old bad food.

ConHog
08-28-2011, 03:46 PM
I've seen too many videos of turkeys being fried and then exploding. I'm surprised you're not afraid of the whole Turkey IED thing. :laugh:

I'm tired of the same old food every Thanksgiving. Even my brother in law's Cajun noodles for the holiday can't make up for the same old bad food.

Watch this video, Alton Brown goes over it pretty good on how to be careful. After watching the video click on the link for recipe.

I promise you'll never roast a turkey again.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/deep-fried-turkey2/video/index.html

chloe
08-28-2011, 04:00 PM
I'm having Newman O's chocolate cookies.........Luna tick will be sooooo disappointed in me;)

KartRacerBoy
08-28-2011, 04:06 PM
Is that your dinner, Chloe? :laugh:

We're have leftover roast chicken and veggies. Nothing fun or exciting tonight.

Gaffer
08-28-2011, 04:10 PM
I'm having the steak I didn't have yesterday cause I had a hamburger instead. ;)

ConHog
08-28-2011, 04:15 PM
I'm having the steak I didn't have yesterday cause I had a hamburger instead. ;)

I had my wife for an early dinner.

chloe
08-28-2011, 04:18 PM
Is that your dinner, Chloe? :laugh:

We're have leftover roast chicken and veggies. Nothing fun or exciting tonight.

yeah:laugh2:.....I did exercise though so it kinda balances things out:rolleyes:

Gaffer
08-28-2011, 04:20 PM
I had my wife for an early dinner.

I would too, but since she's not here I'll have to settle for steak. ;)

ConHog
08-28-2011, 04:34 PM
I would too, but since she's not here I'll have to settle for steak. ;)

that was supposed to read I had my wife make me a sammich for an early dinner HEEHEEHEE

she was dessert.

Gaffer
08-28-2011, 04:48 PM
that was supposed to read I had my wife make me a sammich for an early dinner HEEHEEHEE

she was dessert.

Thank you for clearing that up.

If she read that over your shoulder she probably smacked you upside the head.

ConHog
08-28-2011, 05:00 PM
Thank you for clearing that up.

If she read that over your shoulder she probably smacked you upside the head.

I am always getting smacked in the head. :laugh2:

Shadow
08-28-2011, 09:03 PM
Chili Rellenos,Fried Zucchini and Rice.

darin
08-28-2011, 09:22 PM

People who 'blow up' a bird when frying sorta deserve it. Honestly, I can't figure out how grown-up adults do crap like that.

THAW THE DANG BIRD before dropping - erp - EASING the bird into the boiling oil :)

ConHog
08-28-2011, 09:29 PM
People who 'blow up' a bird when frying sorta deserve it. Honestly, I can't figure out how grown-up adults do crap like that.

THAW THE DANG BIRD before dropping - erp - EASING the bird into the boiling oil :)

Personally , we only fry wild turkeys , never even been frozen.

sundaydriver
08-29-2011, 05:56 PM
Spent the day moving dirt & planting grass at home today so I wanted some stick to my ribs comfort food for dinner.

A meatloaf is in the oven, made creamed corn, and a garden salad for a nice dinner on the deck.

Meatloaf sammich for lunch tomorrow, hhmmmm so good!

ConHog
08-29-2011, 06:03 PM
Spent the day moving dirt & planting grass at home today so I wanted some stick to my ribs comfort food for dinner.

A meatloaf is in the oven, made creamed corn, and a garden salad for a nice dinner on the deck.

Meatloaf sammich for lunch tomorrow, hhmmmm so good!

It is hard to beat meatloaf, but no mashed potatoes?

sundaydriver
08-29-2011, 07:58 PM
It is hard to beat meatloaf, but no mashed potatoes?

Yeah the mashed taters are a natural side but I had a late breakfast that included homefries.

Kathianne
08-29-2011, 08:06 PM

So many ways to disaster:

http://www.google.com/search?q=youtube+fry+turkey&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Kathianne
08-29-2011, 08:07 PM
Trying not to laugh.

and here:

http://www.google.com/search?q=youtube+fry+turkey&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#sclient=psy&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=PPY&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aofficial&source=hp&q=youtube+fry+turkey+disasters&pbx=1&oq=youtube+fry+turkey+disasters&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=84007l87987l0l88530l12l11l0l0l0l0l641l3563l 2-7.2.1.1l11l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.&fp=aba518df42a68c44&biw=894&bih=531

ConHog
08-29-2011, 09:34 PM
Yeah the mashed taters are a natural side but I had a late breakfast that included homefries.

Well, naturally a person needs to watch their starch intake.

Shadow
09-02-2011, 10:50 PM
For Christmas my cousin gave me a subscription to Real Simple magazine, I'm just now finally getting around to reading all of the issues. They have some great recipes in them (easy too). Tried one for dinner...very good.

Shrimp with Ginger Sauce.

Directions
In a small saucepan, cook ¾ cup apricot preserves, 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger, and ¼ teaspoon kosher salt over medium heat, stirring, until melted, about 2 minutes.
Place 1 pound peeled and deveined large shrimp (about 16) on a rimmed baking sheet, drizzle with 3 tablespoons of the apricot sauce, and season with ¼ teaspoon each kosher salt and black pepper. Broil until browned in spots and opaque throughout, 3 to 4 minutes. Serve with the remaining sauce.

Love Monkey
11-02-2011, 05:13 PM
I'm going to have me a banana sandwich for supper.

Shadow
11-10-2011, 06:39 PM
Nothing But Noodles

DragonStryk72
11-10-2011, 07:22 PM

Spinach Alfredo pizza, with chicken, mushrooms, and a 3-cheese blend.

Abbey Marie
11-10-2011, 07:40 PM
Tom Yum soup, Thai salad and yellow curry with chicken.

Chased with some Berry Yummi (chocolate of course, w/ fresh strawberries added).

Shadow
11-15-2011, 10:59 PM
Guitar night...plus... we have a pot luck tomorrow at work. So,something easy.

Hot wings,mashed potatoes and green beans.

Noir
11-20-2011, 07:40 PM
Simple but delicious; Potato, leek, and onion soup -

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j176/jonathan-mcc/photo-1113.jpg

(:

Mr. P
11-20-2011, 07:56 PM
Simple but delicious; Potato, leek, and onion soup -

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j176/jonathan-mcc/photo-1113.jpg

(:
It IS tasty! :thumb:

Noir
11-20-2011, 08:06 PM
And since I have the pictures...

Saturdays supper - Risotto and mixed veggies in a tomato based sauce
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j176/jonathan-mcc/photo-2076.jpg

And Fridays supper- Pasta and mixed veggies in a white sauce.
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j176/jonathan-mcc/photo-2162.jpg

All totally vegan ofcourse (:

Mr. P
11-20-2011, 08:14 PM
Vegan if ya like, Noir. Me. I vow to never KILL another innocent vegetable ever again! Well, at least not until I am hungry and it goes with the meat. :laugh:

Noir
11-20-2011, 08:28 PM
Vegan if ya like, Noir. Me. I vow to never KILL another innocent vegetable ever again! Well, at least not until I am hungry and it goes with the meat. :laugh:

=P

Reminds me of a convo I had with my dad a few months ago...
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j176/jonathan-mcc/photo-2341.jpg

Shadow
11-20-2011, 09:26 PM
Shrimp stir fry and white rice.

Shadow
11-27-2011, 07:09 PM
Turkey
Cornbread stuffing
Baked Carrots
Brussel Sprouts
Mashed Potatoes
Gravy
Spice Cake

Doing our Thanksgiving dinner today :)

Kathianne
11-27-2011, 07:21 PM
Shadow, we did ours Thursday, so I had 'Thanksgiving Casserole' today:

layer of stuffing, a bit of gravy, layer of turkey, layer of cranberry compote, layer split between green bean casserole and wild rice/broccoli casserole, layer of horseradish-sour cream mashed potatoes, layer of gravy.

Very tasty!

Shadow
11-27-2011, 07:54 PM
Sounds really good! That's kinda why I decided to cook our own dinner (after eating out on turkey day...well my kids did) I wanted leftovers :)

Kathianne
11-27-2011, 08:05 PM
Sounds really good! That's kinda why I decided to cook our own dinner (after eating out on turkey day...well my kids did) I wanted leftovers :)

It was so good! Will be for the coming days! :laugh2: My scale is not going to like this onslaught!

Shadow
11-27-2011, 09:08 PM
It was so good! Will be for the coming days! :laugh2: My scale is not going to like this onslaught!

Yeah...the holidays are kinda evil like that. Potlucks at work start at Halloween and then go straight through until the new year. Plus dinners,parties etc...
Good thing I have paid up my gym membership.

Alexandro
01-18-2012, 02:58 AM
Pizza with coke.....
i love pizza.....

Noir
05-06-2012, 12:00 PM
Cheap, quick, simple, and nomy ^,^

Butternut Squash Risotto, with peppers, sweetcorn, baby tomatoes, onion, garlic, red wine, and oregano.
http://i49.tinypic.com/2w4zb6t.jpg

Instructions -

Pan-fry half a finely cut onion and 2 cloves of garlic in a teaspoon of vegetable oil, until onion translucent (3/4 mins)
Add 250grams of Risotto rice and stir for a minute.
Boil 600ml of water and add vegetable stock cube, then add stock water to pan.
Let cook on a medium heat, stirring occasionally, until most of the water is absorbed. (about 10 minutes)
Add a chopped pepper, half a dozen baby toms, 200 grams of sweetcorn, and 300ml of boiling water. Let cook with occasional stiring on a medium heat until squash is tender (about 15 mins) add more water if necessary.
Add splash of wine and generous pinch of oregano, stir in well while on heat for 3/4 minutes
Serve, enjoy.
Attempt to convince someone else to do the dishes since you cooked dinner, fail in your attempts and do them yourself.

ConHog
05-06-2012, 12:06 PM
Cheap, quick, simple, and nomy ^,^

Butternut Squash Risotto, with peppers, sweetcorn, baby tomatoes, onion, garlic, red wine, and oregano.
http://i49.tinypic.com/2w4zb6t.jpg

Instructions -

Pan-fry half a finely cut onion and 2 cloves of garlic in a teaspoon of vegetable oil, until onion translucent (3/4 mins)
Add 250grams of Risotto rice and stir for a minute.
Boil 600ml of water and add vegetable stock cube, then add stock water to pan.
Let cook on a medium heat, stirring occasionally, until most of the water is absorbed. (about 10 minutes)
Add a chopped pepper, half a dozen baby toms, 200 grams of sweetcorn, and 300ml of boiling water. Let cook with occasional stiring on a medium heat until squash is tender (about 15 mins) add more water if necessary.
Add splash of wine and generous pinch of oregano, stir in well while on heat for 3/4 minutes
Serve, enjoy.
Attempt to convince someone else to do the dishes since you cooked dinner, fail in your attempts and do them yourself.

That would be delic with some chicken in it

Shadow
05-28-2012, 09:51 PM
Made chicken fried steak,cheesy mashed potatoes and fried zucchini for dinner tonight. It was sooo good (been a long time since I splurged like that)...but I'm going to be feeling it tomorrow I think.

Wind Song
05-28-2012, 09:53 PM
Baba ghanooj, nan, humus, shish kebabs.

DragonStryk72
05-28-2012, 10:02 PM
Spinach Alfredo pizza will mushrooms and chicken.

WiccanLiberal
05-31-2012, 06:39 PM
I called my Honey from work yesterday and asked if he could defrost some of the pork chops I had in the freezer. When I got home I was treated to some succulent grilled pork chops with cheriyaki sauce glaze, cornbred stuffing and grilled corn on the cob. Scrumptious. We trade off cooking. I make a mean meatloaf but he is the master of the old style charcoal grill.

ConHog
05-31-2012, 06:52 PM
I called my Honey from work yesterday and asked if he could defrost some of the pork chops I had in the freezer. When I got home I was treated to some succulent grilled pork chops with cheriyaki sauce glaze, cornbred stuffing and grilled corn on the cob. Scrumptious. We trade off cooking. I make a mean meatloaf but he is the master of the old style charcoal grill.

Wife was off today. She made home made tamales. The beaner makes awesome tamales. I made some chili and spanish rice to go with. Quite good.

DragonStryk72
05-31-2012, 06:59 PM
Wife was off today. She made home made tamales. The beaner makes awesome tamales. I made some chili and spanish rice to go with. Quite good.

Oh god, I would get so damn fat. Seriously, I made this realization a year or so ago, that I could eat Mexican for just about every meal and be perfectly happy with my life.

ConHog
05-31-2012, 07:07 PM
Oh god, I would get so damn fat. Seriously, I made this realization a year or so ago, that I could eat Mexican for just about every meal and be perfectly happy with my life.

Well, I DO love to eat a Mexican, errr ummm I mean I love Mexican food.

She makes the BEST tamales. Just delicious.

Noir
05-31-2012, 07:09 PM
i had a lazy night, so just a veggie pastie, beans, and potato mash with spinach, rocket, watercress, and garlic ^,^

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j176/jonathan-mcc/tumblr_m4wh67fUK31qbfx9do1_500.jpg

Kathianne
05-31-2012, 07:16 PM
i had a lazy night, so just a veggie pastie, beans, and potato mash with spinach, rocket, watercress, and garlic ^,^

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j176/jonathan-mcc/tumblr_m4wh67fUK31qbfx9do1_500.jpg

It may be the photo, but that does not look appetizing.

ConHog
05-31-2012, 07:17 PM

What are you referring to as rocket?

ConHog
05-31-2012, 07:18 PM

It's the way that patsie thing looks like a snake head with its mouth open. :laugh2:

Noir
05-31-2012, 07:21 PM

It was okay, like i said it was born of laziness tonight, though i do have say though the mash was spot on - the spinach and garlic were both obviously very fresh, mixed with the extra creamy potatoes (i used cream instead of milk) t'was awesome ^,^

Noir
05-31-2012, 07:28 PM
What are you referring to as rocket?

It's a long steamed leaf, high in vitamin C and potassium, tis mushed in with the potatoes.

Shadow
05-31-2012, 08:04 PM

Everything tastes better when it's cooked on the grill. :thumb:

Shadow
05-31-2012, 08:06 PM

Nice presentation for not trying. :)

Kathianne
05-31-2012, 08:06 PM
Everything tastes better when it's cooked on the grill. :thumb:

I've never met a meal that I didn't cook or have to clean up, that I didn't really appreciate!

Noir
05-31-2012, 08:16 PM
Nice presentation for not trying. :)

Thankyou kindly (:

Nell's Room
05-31-2012, 11:32 PM
My dad is bringing home pizza tonight.:cool:

fj1200
06-01-2012, 09:17 AM
... i used cream instead of milk...

:eek:

Noir
06-01-2012, 09:26 AM
:eek:

That would be soya cream instead of soya milk ofcourse lol, had plenty of cream leftover from a soup i made the other da, and will def be doing that again.

fj1200
06-01-2012, 09:30 AM
That would be soya cream instead of soya milk ofcourse lol, had plenty of cream leftover from a soup i made the other da, and will def be doing that again.

Whew, close call. I go with cream if I make mashed potatoes if I have it. If I don't the massive amounts of butter make up for the lack of cream. :)

ConHog
06-01-2012, 10:01 AM
Whew, close call. I go with cream if I make mashed potatoes if I have it. If I don't the massive amounts of butter make up for the lack of cream. :)

you ever use sour cream? I buy low fat sour cream b/c well who can taste the difference? that way I can cut the butter in half and have nice creamy mashed potatoes with less fat.

fj1200
06-01-2012, 10:24 AM
you ever use sour cream? I buy low fat sour cream b/c well who can taste the difference? that way I can cut the butter in half and have nice creamy mashed potatoes with less fat.

Occasionally if I happen to have it, not a big fan of it. It still doesn't taste like butter though. :)

ConHog
06-01-2012, 11:24 AM
Occasionally if I happen to have it, not a big fan of it. It still doesn't taste like butter though. :)

Well, NOTHING tastes like butter (Especially the product known as I Can't Believe It's Not Butter)

PostmodernProphet
06-01-2012, 02:34 PM
I have no skills yet for looking in the fridge and concocting something on a whim.

it isn't that complicated....you need a starch, which can be pasta, rice or potato (or stuffing)....

you need a vegetable...

you need meat....

you need an appropriate sauce or seasoning

combine one of each in a baking dish and you have.....casserole!.....

I try to vary between Italian, Mexican, Asian cuisine for variety....

Noir
06-01-2012, 03:10 PM
Well, NOTHING tastes like butter (Especially the product known as I Can't Believe It's Not Butter)

Depends from person to person i guess, but i always though olive butter went better with savory food (dairy butter being too sour, soya butter too sweet.) and ive never noticed a tasteable difference in baked cakes etc.

ConHog
06-01-2012, 03:18 PM
Depends from person to person i guess, but i always though olive butter went better with savory food (dairy butter being too sour, soya butter too sweet.) and ive never noticed a tasteable difference in baked cakes etc.

I gotta ask, have you SERIOUSLY never tried a bit of delicious Porterhouse?

Noir
06-01-2012, 03:20 PM
I gotta ask, have you SERIOUSLY never tried a bit of delicious Porterhouse?

Ive no idea what porterhouse is.

jimnyc
06-01-2012, 03:30 PM
Ive no idea what porterhouse is.

I won't rub it in, but one of the yummiest steaks on Earth!

Noir
06-01-2012, 03:33 PM
I won't rub it in, but one of the yummiest steaks on Earth!

Ah i sees, inwhich case definitely not, i never though steak looked apealing so never had any.

jimnyc
06-01-2012, 03:35 PM
Ah i sees, inwhich case definitely not, i never though steak looked apealing so never had any.

If you come to the US, I'll bring you out to dinner with me at Ruth's Chris. You can have the little green garnish thing that I never eat. :lol:

Abbey Marie
06-01-2012, 03:43 PM

My husband calls that "I Can't Believe it's Not Better" :laugh:

ConHog
06-01-2012, 04:47 PM
If you come to the US, I'll bring you out to dinner with me at Ruth's Chris. You can have the little green garnish thing that I never eat. :lol:

If you ever make it to Arkansas I will cook you a steak that will have you NEVER wanting to settle for Ruth's Chris again.

Nukeman
06-01-2012, 04:56 PM
Have you ever been to the original RC in New Orleans?? If you ever get a chance it is in my opinion better than the franchise ones. I was there once and our waitress was an original that started with Ruth herself, she must have been over 70 but an awesome lady with a ton of info on the chain!!! I love there food but there are better steak houses out there!!!

Plus give me a Rib-eye over a porterhouse any day!!! Love that marbling

ConHog
06-01-2012, 05:11 PM
Have you ever been to the original RC in New Orleans?? If you ever get a chance it is in my opinion better than the franchise ones. I was there once and our waitress was an original that started with Ruth herself, she must have been over 70 but an awesome lady with a ton of info on the chain!!! I love there food but there are better steak houses out there!!!

Plus give me a Rib-eye over a porterhouse any day!!! Love that marbling

It's very rare when I eat steak out. Just doesn't sit right with me that I can buy an entire baby steer for less than some steak dinners.

Rib-eye is an excellent cut, but I LOVE a good dry aged Porterhouse.

WiccanLiberal
06-02-2012, 05:33 PM
Ever since we moved in he has been dying for me to do one thing now that I have an oven again. He has wanted a meatloaf. Apparently my family meatloaf recipe is a favorite of his. Tonight he got his wish. So:

1 pound ground beef or meatloaf mix
1 egg
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
2 Tbsp ketchup
1 pack of onion soup mix
dash of worcestershire sauce
dash of fresh ground pepper
dash of fresh ground garlic
dash of celery salt
2 Tbsp parsley flakes
1 can condensed tomato soup

Mix all ingredients except the tomato soup in a bowl and pat into a loaf pan. Please note that I just use my hands for the mixing - seems very satisfying somehow. Take the tomato soup and add 1/2 can of water and stir until smooth. Pour about half of it on the top of the loaf and put the pan in a 350 degree oven for an hour. At the end of the hour CAREFULLY turn the meatloaf out into a large casserole dish and pour on the rest of the soup. Return to oven for about 15 minutes. To serve, slice the meatloaf and top with the tomato soup gravy from the pan. I generally serve with mashed potatoes and a vegetable or salad. If you make enough, it makes for a great open-faced sandwich the next day.

darin
06-02-2012, 06:10 PM
I grilled bacon and "juicy lucy (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CHcQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FJucy_Lu cy&ei=S53KT8jRAcbo2AXCl-HaCw&usg=AFQjCNElaIIE6dCJCjIiKPVo-2LsObYxPA&sig2=8hvnlXHIgUpM_2GwInyAjg)'s"

PostmodernProphet
06-02-2012, 07:12 PM

/boggle!....you've NEVER had steak?....

Shadow
06-02-2012, 10:06 PM
I grilled bacon and "juicy lucy (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CHcQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FJucy_Lu cy&ei=S53KT8jRAcbo2AXCl-HaCw&usg=AFQjCNElaIIE6dCJCjIiKPVo-2LsObYxPA&sig2=8hvnlXHIgUpM_2GwInyAjg)'s"

That looks painful. My stomach hurts just thinking about it. :laugh:

We ain't eating dinner tonight. I'm cutting everyone off.:thumb:

darin
06-03-2012, 07:55 AM
That looks painful. My stomach hurts just thinking about it. :laugh:

We ain't eating dinner tonight. I'm cutting everyone off.:thumb:

painfully delicious.

:D

Secret - let them rest awhile, after cooking, or the hot molten cheese (funny -those last 3 words were my nickname in college) explodes when you bite it (as were those lat five words), can cause burns. :)

Shadow
06-03-2012, 08:30 AM
painfully delicious.

Secret - let them rest awhile, after cooking, or the hot molten cheese (funny -those last 3 words were my nickname in college) explodes when you bite it (as were those lat five words), can cause burns. :)

Nothing worse than getting a scorched tongue. Hate that.

darin
06-05-2012, 08:19 AM
Nothing worse than getting a scorched tongue. Hate that.

Once I bit-through my tongue; had to get stiches. In my tongue. yes. Worse than burning it. :(

Shadow
06-06-2012, 04:25 PM
Once I bit-through my tongue; had to get stiches. In my tongue. yes. Worse than burning it. :(

Ugh...what kind of a accident? My brother bit through his bottom lip once when he was a little kid...not pleasant.

Shadow
06-06-2012, 04:28 PM
painfully delicious.

Oh...thought of you. Made homemade green chili cheeseburgers for my kids for lunch today (put the cheese in the hamburger instead of on top). Was good :)

Noir
06-06-2012, 04:43 PM
Simple noms is simple but nomy ^,^
Mixed pepper and mushroom stir fry;
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j176/jonathan-mcc/tumblr_m57ospR5RH1qbfx9do1_1280.jpg

Shadow
06-06-2012, 05:29 PM
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j176/jonathan-mcc/tumblr_m57ospR5RH1qbfx9do1_1280.jpg

What kind of spices/sauce do you use in your stir fry? I make stir fry a lot when I am in diet mode...tends to all taste the same after awhile though. I need a way to mix it up some.

Which reminds me...I also eat a lot of pepper steak. There is this place around the corner from my house that makes the best I've ever eaten. Time to pay them a visit and order take out I think.

Noir
06-06-2012, 05:45 PM
What kind of spices/sauce do you use in your stir fry? I make stir fry a lot when I am in diet mode...tends to all taste the same after awhile though. I need a way to mix it up some.

Which reminds me...I also eat a lot of pepper steak. There is this place around the corner from my house that makes the best I've ever eaten. Time to pay them a visit and order take out I think.

Its pretty rare i'd have stir fry, so the only sauce i have is an Amoy Soy Sauce, reduced salt of course.

jimnyc
06-06-2012, 05:50 PM

Jon, I'm afraid you're missing an ingredient:

http://www.freshdirect.com/media/images/product/meat/beef/stew_soup/bstp_stirfry_z.jpg

4horsemenrule
06-06-2012, 05:52 PM
Just grilled a couple of Black Angus burgers with all the trimmings

Damn they are good!

jimnyc
06-06-2012, 05:55 PM
Here is what I made for the boy and I tonight, since the woman is working late again:

http://www.freshdirect.com/media/images/product/meals/poultry_entree/mea_chix_kbob_z.jpg

Shish Kabobs, simply grilled, and I also sauteed some peppers and onions, and then some Naan bread that even Noir would approve of!

Noir
06-06-2012, 06:27 PM
Here is what I made for the boy and I tonight, since the woman is working late again:

Shish Kabobs, simply grilled, and I also sauteed some peppers and onions, and then some Naan bread that even Noir would approve of!

I fear vegan naan is difficult to get unless homemade, as thy are made with either ghee or clarified butter

jimnyc
06-06-2012, 06:52 PM
I fear vegan naan is difficult to get unless homemade, as thy are made with either ghee or clarified butter

WTF? You have to watch what bread you eat too? I don't know what the one I had was made of, that the wifey always gets, but it does have a tad of a butter taste to it. Why can't you eat certain breads? It's not like someone killed the yeast?

Noir
06-06-2012, 07:06 PM
WTF? You have to watch what bread you eat too? I don't know what the one I had was made of, that the wifey always gets, but it does have a tad of a butter taste to it. Why can't you eat certain breads? It's not like someone killed the yeast?

Depends what went into making the bread, most breads are okay, but naans almost always have ghee in them, or like some sweet breads have honey in the dough etc.

jimnyc
06-06-2012, 07:11 PM
Depends what went into making the bread, most breads are okay, but naans almost always have ghee in them, or like some sweet breads have honey in the dough etc.

I would hate to be your stomach! The poor little guy is malnourished and likely screaming for a hot dog by now! Seriously though, you think you'll ever change? That's a rigid structure you're under. What do you eat, lettuce? Hell, the old saying was that prisoners were fed bread and water. You'd starve in prison too!

Noir
06-06-2012, 07:24 PM
I would hate to be your stomach! The poor little guy is malnourished and likely screaming for a hot dog by now! Seriously though, you think you'll ever change? That's a rigid structure you're under. What do you eat, lettuce? Hell, the old saying was that prisoners were fed bread and water. You'd starve in prison too!

Nope, its a change for life, and i eat looooads lol, it just means that if i want naan bread it has to be homemade, which of course is better (:

jimnyc
06-06-2012, 07:28 PM
Nope, its a change for life, and i eat looooads lol, it just means that if i want naan bread it has to be homemade, which of course is better (:

What about junk food? Doritos, crumb cakes, Funyons, Reeses, Applie Pies, donuts & all that other stuff that engulfs what is otherwise referred to as my belly? Please tell me you can enjoy crap food at least!

Shadow
06-06-2012, 07:32 PM
What about junk food? Doritos, crumb cakes, Funyons, Reeses, Applie Pies, donuts & all that other stuff that engulfs what is otherwise referred to as my belly? Please tell me you can enjoy crap food at least!

Speaking of crap food...they now make M & M salty/sweet snack mix (three varieties). It is great stuff!
:thumb:

Noir
06-06-2012, 07:34 PM

Eggs are in almost all cakes, and dried milk are in allot of crisps and cookies, and of course milk&white chocolate are no-go.
But I bake my own cakes, pies, and cookies, which taste *exactly* the same (other people in my house eat them when i bake them too, and say they notice no difference so thats not just me saying it lol) though in general when i want to snack i have nuts, seeds, or fruit.

jimnyc
06-06-2012, 07:36 PM
Speaking of crap food...they now make M & M salty/sweet snack mix (three varieties). It is great stuff!

Don't tell me abot any new junk food. I'm an addict. The more I eat the more I have to work out, then I get tired, and the more I work out the more I feel I need to eat. And while one can get more muscular legs, and muscular shoulders, and biceps and all that other stuff girls like - all that junk finds it's way to the belly!

jimnyc
06-06-2012, 07:38 PM
Eggs are in almost all cakes, and dried milk are in allot of crisps and cookies, and of course milk&white chocolate are no-go.
But I bake my own cakes, pies, and cookies, which taste *exactly* the same (other people in my house eat them when i bake them too, and say they notice no difference so thats not just me saying it lol) though in general when i want to snack i have nuts, seeds, or fruit.

Well, that may be, but what if you're a slob like me and you see something yummy at the store, that you can just rip open the bag and eat on the spot? And no Breyers Ice Cream either I suppose?

Noir
06-06-2012, 07:49 PM
Well, that may be, but what if you're a slob like me and you see something yummy at the store, that you can just rip open the bag and eat on the spot? And no Breyers Ice Cream either I suppose?

yeah, veganism doesn't have much room for slobisness lol,

however, if every company that made cakes chose to use non-dairy products you wouldn't notice a difference in the taste, it'd be healthier, you could like slobily and there'd be less money being pumped into a cruel industry ^,^

jimnyc
06-06-2012, 07:54 PM
yeah, veganism doesn't have much room for slobisness lol,

however, if every company that made cakes chose to use non-dairy products you wouldn't notice a difference in the taste, it'd be healthier, you could like slobily and there'd be less money being pumped into a cruel industry ^,^

Is this map abouts where you live over there? - http://visitbath.co.uk/explore-the-area (only cause I remember u going to Bath and thought you said something about hockey & perhaps Glastonbury)

If I ever visited it would be cool to check out that area in addition to the London area. I'd visit and eat the sweets at your house but dinner would have to be where good food is. You can have my salad. And a tofu candy bar.

Noir
06-06-2012, 08:16 PM
Is this map abouts where you live over there? - http://visitbath.co.uk/explore-the-area (only cause I remember u going to Bath and thought you said something about hockey & perhaps Glastonbury)

If I ever visited it would be cool to check out that area in addition to the London area. I'd visit and eat the sweets at your house but dinner would have to be where good food is. You can have my salad. And a tofu candy bar.

Close =p
My girlfriend lives near Bath (pink dot), I live near Belfast in Northern Ireland (red dot)
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j176/jonathan-mcc/uk.png

butbut i do have plans to have a vegan cafe/bakery in the Bristol/Bath/Glastonbury area so you'd have to come and feast!

Toro
06-07-2012, 05:46 AM
http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?35447-What-is-wrong-with-people-today

Noir
06-07-2012, 02:49 PM
Tonights noms, Spagball

Nondairy spagetti, vegan mince, chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, baby tomatoes, mixed peppers, onion, garlic, basil, spinach, spring onion, red wine, and oregano. Plus i made double portions of the bolognese sauce so i'ma have it tomorrow with risotto ^,^

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j176/jonathan-mcc/tumblr_m59hu6edRd1qbfx9do1_1280.jpg

jimnyc
06-07-2012, 06:04 PM
That actually looks good, Jon, but only because it's deceiving and looks like meat sauce!

I had fresh pasta tonight too, just made at the Italian deli, with tomato and basil red sauce, and a fresh salad with cucumbers!

(now I have to leave for a few minutes, as that didn't satisfy me, time to get some junk food!)

Noir
07-01-2012, 12:45 PM
Three bean butternut squash, in quinoa, with a whole heap of other stuff and crusty bread ^,^

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j176/jonathan-mcc/215e2e96.jpg

jimnyc
07-01-2012, 12:57 PM
*NSFN* <---- "Not Safe for Noir" :lol:

This will be my birthday dinner for this evening:

http://www.omahasteaks.com/gifs/big/fm109.jpg

Roo
07-01-2012, 01:10 PM
Tacos and Margaritas :)

Noir
07-01-2012, 01:17 PM
/boggle!....you've NEVER had steak?....

Must not of seen this post before, and yeah its just a big slab of meat and ew =/ though i have had gammon (sp?) steak before, though i don't think that's an actual stake, and all i remember is it being really salty (which i liked because it meant i couldn't taste the meat lol)

SassyLady
07-01-2012, 04:41 PM
Spaghetti and meatballs, salad and french bread.

Mr. P
07-01-2012, 05:01 PM
Spaghetti and meatballs, salad and french bread.

Was thinkin Linguini with HOT Italian sausage here. :thumb:

SassyLady
07-01-2012, 05:12 PM
Was thinkin Linguini with HOT Italian sausage here. :thumb:

I'm going to use chicken jalapeno/mango meatballs so I think we are on same wavelength!

sundaydriver
07-02-2012, 07:36 PM
BLT's, macarroni salad, and chips.

Nell's Room
07-02-2012, 10:56 PM
We are having curried sausages tonight. :)

Shadow
07-03-2012, 10:28 PM
One of the muchkins and I went to Souper Salad. Huge salad with everything you could think of on top....Yummy. Plus...a gingerbread muffin on the side (with butter of course). :thumb:

Nell's Room
07-04-2012, 04:13 AM
Chicken kiev and chicken curry, with steamed potatoes.

Omari
09-13-2012, 05:47 AM
Yeah i am agreed with you and we are talking about the dinner i just want to recommend you here about dinner that you should always try to take lite weight dinner because if you take heavy dinner and go for sleep on your bed then may be you have to face different problems with your health....

jafar00
09-13-2012, 06:52 AM
My wife made some sort of Goat and vegetable casserole tonight. It was so nice to come home to such a warm meal on a cold and rainy Sydney day.

Anton Chigurh
09-13-2012, 10:36 AM
Yeah i am agreed with you and we are talking about the dinner i just want to recommend you here about dinner that you should always try to take lite weight dinner because if you take heavy dinner and go for sleep on your bed then may be you have to face different problems with your health....But not if we "go for sleep" on let's say, the couch?

logroller
09-13-2012, 12:06 PM
But not if we "go for sleep" on let's say, the couch?
Or someone else's bed?
And what if I "exercise" in my bed?

Mr. P
09-13-2012, 02:59 PM
Or someone else's bed?
And what if I "exercise" in my bed?

Pushups! :2up:

gabosaurus
09-13-2012, 04:18 PM
My wife made some sort of Goat and vegetable casserole tonight. It was so nice to come home to such a warm meal on a cold and rainy Sydney day.

When I was in Melbourne last, my friend there made the same kind of dish, but with veal medallions instead of goat. It was delish.

I was thinking of broiling some pork chops tonight. Anyone up for that?

Trigg
09-13-2012, 05:30 PM
been working until late all week, but tonight we are having lasagna

Kathianne
09-13-2012, 05:44 PM
been working until late all week, but tonight we are having lasagna

Yummmm

jafar00
09-13-2012, 09:41 PM
When I was in Melbourne last, my friend there made the same kind of dish, but with veal medallions instead of goat. It was delish.

I was thinking of broiling some pork chops tonight. Anyone up for that?

Actually I usually buy goat and lamb, dice it up and put it in meal size freezer bags. Problem is, sometimes we get them mixed up and can't tell which is which so some of our meals are made with "Mystery Meat" :)))

Kathianne
09-16-2012, 01:39 PM
My home is smelling pretty darn good right now. Pork shoulder roast in the Crock Pot with lots of spices in the rub, lots of onions below and covering the roast. A bit of ginger ale and water and around 10 tonight I can pull that roast apart! My homemade bar-b-que sauce and the pulled pork will go back in the pot until morning. Good eating for the next few weeks! (I'll be freezing most of it in lunch/dinner sized portions.)

Kathianne
09-16-2012, 01:43 PM
Actually I usually buy goat and lamb, dice it up and put it in meal size freezer bags. Problem is, sometimes we get them mixed up and can't tell which is which so some of our meals are made with "Mystery Meat" :)))

I've never had goat. I don't think I've personally cooked lamb, it's terribly expensive here, but had some tenderloin chops over the holidays that my friend made. It's something I'll order when in a very good restaurant, (if I'm not paying! ;) )

However, with the differences in type of meat, I constantly do the same. Buy and prep large quantity of meat, put into freezer bags marked with Sharpie as to 'what it is' and date frozen. Somehow too often, the labeling gets wiped off. I blame the ice cream.

fj1200
09-16-2012, 04:17 PM
My home is smelling pretty darn good right now. Pork shoulder roast in the Crock Pot with lots of spices in the rub, lots of onions below and covering the roast. A bit of ginger ale and water and around 10 tonight I can pull that roast apart! My homemade bar-b-que sauce and the pulled pork will go back in the pot until morning. Good eating for the next few weeks! (I'll be freezing most of it in lunch/dinner sized portions.)

Mmm, Boston Butt. I usually just put on the rub and pop it in the oven at 250 for 10-12, depending on size, hours. Cuban sandwiches (http://www.tasteofcuba.com/cubansandwich.html) are a good leftover meal too.

jafar00
09-16-2012, 11:29 PM
I've never had goat. I don't think I've personally cooked lamb, it's terribly expensive here, but had some tenderloin chops over the holidays that my friend made. It's something I'll order when in a very good restaurant, (if I'm not paying! ;) )

However, with the differences in type of meat, I constantly do the same. Buy and prep large quantity of meat, put into freezer bags marked with Sharpie as to 'what it is' and date frozen. Somehow too often, the labeling gets wiped off. I blame the ice cream.

To be honest I don't mind the surprise. Goat and lamb are quite similar and both are just as tasty in a Harira or a Casserole. Besides I'm too lazy for labels :D

Kathianne
09-16-2012, 11:47 PM
To be honest I don't mind the surprise. Goat and lamb are quite similar and both are just as tasty in a Harira or a Casserole. Besides I'm too lazy for labels :D

Quite agree, in most recipes doesn't make a difference, just a surprise. LOL!

WiccanLiberal
01-01-2013, 03:42 PM
Making roast lamb tonight. Small boneless roast in the oven with sliced onions, all seasoned with a little garlic powder, salt and pepper. In about 2-1/2 hours I will make mashed potatoes, mix up some gravy and YUMMMM.

WiccanLiberal
01-01-2013, 07:50 PM
Well the dinner seems to have been a rousing success. V4R enjoyed the meal and so did AJ the youngest cat. He is a horrible sneak where people food is concerned. Right now he is lying next to me on the sofa with a full belly uppermost and dreaming. I can see his feet twitching as he sleeps - no doubt dreams of my next culinary effort.

Wild Duck
07-24-2013, 09:16 PM
Grilled some burgers tonight. Wife made potato salad.

AllieBaba
07-27-2013, 07:08 PM
We are having French dip sammiches & coleslaw, with iced tea...

The meat is a beef roast I've been slow cooking all day....
The rolls I made today, and they are lovely.
The coleslaw is my own...cabbage, sugar, vinegar, salt, pepper and mayo (and it is delish)

And the tea is black/lavender sun tea from the plants under my window.

Dessert is blackberry pie from the brambles that grow around my house. It's a wee bit tart...it was a wee bit tarter so I lifted the top and dumped about another pound of sugar in there. Seriously, it was so tart it caused me an injury. But now it's better...if a bit funky looking.

Such a fine meal is wasted on the minions, who have grown up with yumminess, so I may have them have their friends over, just so I can be gratified watching kids gobble food better than what they get at home...

Kathianne
07-27-2013, 07:15 PM
I've been working on gathering some good microwave and crockpot recipes. Tonight I hit a winner in the microwave. Best thing is the speed and taste. It's fairly messy though getting out of pan, I did let it set for over 10 minutes:

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/microwave-mexican-manicotti

Microwave Mexican Manicotti Recipe

* 1/2 pound uncooked lean ground beef (Ground Sirloin)
* 1 cup refried beans
* 1 teaspoon dried oregano
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
* 8 uncooked manicotti shells
* 1-1/4 cups water
* 1 cup taco or picante sauce (I used picante sauce-hot)
* 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
* 1/4 cup finely chopped green onions
* 1/4 cup sliced ripe olives
* 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese

Directions

* In a large bowl, combine the beef, beans, oregano and cumin. Stuff into manicotti shells; place in an ungreased 11-in. x 7-in. microwave-safe dish.
* In a small bowl, combine water and taco sauce; pour over shells. Loosely cover dish; microwave on high for 3-4 minutes. Turn shells with tongs. Microwave 3-4 minutes longer; turn shells again.
* Cover and cook at 50% power for 12-15 minutes or until pasta is tender and meat is no longer pink, turning dish a half turn once.
* Spoon sour cream lengthwise down center; sprinkle with onions, olives and cheese. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.

Marcus Aurelius
07-28-2013, 12:26 AM
I've been working on gathering some good microwave and crockpot recipes. Tonight I hit a winner in the microwave. Best thing is the speed and taste. It's fairly messy though getting out of pan, I did let it set for over 10 minutes:

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/microwave-mexican-manicotti

sounds good.

Voted4Reagan
07-28-2013, 06:30 AM
Such a fine meal is wasted on the minions, who have grown up with yumminess, so I may have them have their friends over, just so I can be gratified watching kids gobble food better than what they get at home...http://i.qkme.me/3slcv0.jpg