PDA

View Full Version : In my Required Race & Ethnicity class......we studied Siler NC

chloe
08-29-2011, 10:45 PM
Siler City, North Carolina is just one example of many southern towns confronting its future and past. Since the mid-nineteenth century a never-ending debate over issues of citizenship and access to equal opportunity based on falsely constructed notions of racial inferiority has plagued American society. Institutionalized racial oppression has been drawn along a black-white binary pole which has only further marginalized, and often erased, the geopolitical experiences of Latinos in the US. "The Divide," draws our attention to the changing demographics and economic impact globalization has had on post-industrial America, focusing on the influx of Mexican immigrants into rural North Carolina. Transnational global markets create a permanent need for both unskilled laborers willing to work for low paying jobs and for highly skilled well-paid professionals. Blacks, once occupying the lowest rungs of working labor, are gaining access to and are upwardly mobilizing into the American middle-class. The long-held dominant social order of Anglo-American hegemony over a steadily growing, largely disenfranchised, African American population in the New South is now being represented as a thing of the past. The racial divide among whites and Blacks has splintered to include a diversity of migrant laborers from Mexico, Central and South America, and Southeast Asia. Siler City, North Carolina provides a microcosm of those changes facing many rural southern towns today as poor whites and blacks continue to gain marginal access to the "American dream." The example of Siler City begs the question: how does a nation like the US, built by successive waves of immigration, deal with race when "the color line" is no longer so easily drawn?

http://www.pbs.org/mattersofrace/essays/essay1_latino_usa.html

My teacher said illegals stimulate our economy because they pay cash and buy american stuff and don't have credit cards.

ConHog
08-29-2011, 10:50 PM

My teacher said illegals stimulate our economy because they pay cash and buy american stuff and don't have credit cards.

There is some truth to that. My dad owns an automotive repair shot. Probably 1/3 of his customers are illegal aliens, they do all pay cash. If he were to lose 1/3 of his business it would definitely affect his bottom line.

That being said, I don't believe that is a good enough reason to ignore the fact that they are breaking the law.

chloe
08-29-2011, 10:53 PM
There is some truth to that. My dad owns an automotive repair shot. Probably 1/3 of his customers are illegal aliens, they do all pay cash. If he were to lose 1/3 of his business it would definitely affect his bottom line.

That being said, I don't believe that is a good enough reason to ignore the fact that they are breaking the law.

My teacher said since we are in a recession not as many illegals want to come here.

ConHog
08-29-2011, 10:59 PM
My teacher said since we are in a recession not as many illegals want to come here.

Even in a recession the US economy is better than Mexico's . So I would tend to not believe that claim.

Gaffer
08-30-2011, 02:49 PM
Sounds like your teacher wants to promote illegals.

They pay with cash because that is how they are paid. No taxes deducted. Less money than a legal worker. Being illegal they are basically enslaved by their employer. They have no legal recourse.

KartRacerBoy
08-30-2011, 04:15 PM
Even in a recession the US economy is better than Mexico's . So I would tend to not believe that claim.

I would believe the claim. At least in my area (RV and mobile home construction are the prime job creators), there are far less illegals. Even b4 I was laid off at the end of 2009, I had far fewer PD clients. My wife says she has a huge reduction in illegal immigrants as her public defender clients nowadays (I just asked). Maybe they are all going south, but they aren't in nothern Indiana in anywhere near the numbers they were b4.

ConHog
08-30-2011, 04:17 PM
I would believe the claim. At least in my area (RV and mobile home construction are the prime job creators), there are far less illegals. Even b4 I was laid off at the end of 2009, I had far fewer PD clients. My wife says she has a huge reduction in illegal immigrants as her public defender clients nowadays (I just asked). Maybe they are all going south, but they aren't in nothern Indiana in anywhere near the numbers they were b4.

We have a HUGE number of Hispanics in this area (Tyson foods) I haven't noticed any reduction in their numbers in the last few years. I can assure you that most of them aren't legal.

Binky
08-30-2011, 04:38 PM

Well, spending cash certainly stimulates the economy. If they are going to be here illegally, they may as well spend the cash rather than sucking up any freebies that may come their way that could cost the tax payers money.

Gaffer
08-30-2011, 04:40 PM
Well, spending cash certainly stimulates the economy. If they are going to be here illegally, they may as well spend the cash rather than sucking up any freebies that may come their way that could cost the tax payers money.

Or sending the money back to Mexico to stimulate their economy.

Binky
08-30-2011, 04:42 PM

I suspect your teacher is loaded with crapola to spiel. Our economy has been bad for awhile now, and they have still been openly crossing the border. Whatever they can make here has got to be like hitting the lottery to them.

Binky
08-30-2011, 04:45 PM
Or sending the money back to Mexico to stimulate their economy.

true, true. Either way, they are here illegally and I suspect our border issue is not going to go away anytime soon no matter how much the politicians sweep it under the carpet hoping we all forget about it.

logroller
08-30-2011, 06:13 PM

Ask your teacher if drug dealers, thieves and armed robbers stimulate the economy too.

Nukeman
08-30-2011, 06:50 PM
I would believe the claim. At least in my area (RV and mobile home construction are the prime job creators), there are far less illegals. Even b4 I was laid off at the end of 2009, I had far fewer PD clients. My wife says she has a huge reduction in illegal immigrants as her public defender clients nowadays (I just asked). Maybe they are all going south, but they aren't in nothern Indiana in anywhere near the numbers they were b4.Being from Nothern Indiana (Central/Eastern) as well I can completely agree on this. In fact the town of Ligonier lost 40% of its student population due to the illegals leaving for greener fields.

This is one of my primary problems with the illegal influx.. NO INTEREST IN THE COMMUNITY only interested in what they can TAKE from the community. If they really cared for a better life they would help the community rebuild and restructure to promote job growth and communtiy health.. NO they just up and leave as soon as there is a little blip in the economy. F***ing parasite one and all...... Ohh and almost every one was on assistance.

I know that CANI of Indiana was fabricating SS numbers so the illegals could get into school and receive assistance, and you know what the FBI, State Police, and State Attorney General didn't even want to take a statement "not enough money to worry about" is what they told us.. PATHETIC!!!

ConHog
08-30-2011, 07:06 PM
Being from Nothern Indiana (Central/Eastern) as well I can completely agree on this. In fact the town of Ligonier lost 40% of its student population due to the illegals leaving for greener fields.

This is one of my primary problems with the illegal influx.. NO INTEREST IN THE COMMUNITY only interested in what they can TAKE from the community. If they really cared for a better life they would help the community rebuild and restructure to promote job growth and communtiy health.. NO they just up and leave as soon as there is a little blip in the economy. F***ing parasite one and all...... Ohh and almost every one was on assistance.

I know that CANI of Indiana was fabricating SS numbers so the illegals could get into school and receive assistance, and you know what the FBI, State Police, and State Attorney General didn't even want to take a statement "not enough money to worry about" is what they told us.. PATHETIC!!!

Funny thing, my wife - Hispanic - is a viscous bitch when facing illegal aliens. Maximum penalty every time she can get it.

chloe
08-30-2011, 07:22 PM
Good points for me to bring up in the class discussion tomorrow.

Even though they pay cash they don't pay taxes, they also use the emergency room for doctor visits so they can't be refused service and then dont pay the bill.

Also if they leave the city or state in a recession they dont build community sentiment, but cry about discrimination when we segregate there kids in class who don't speak english.

Gaffer
08-30-2011, 07:33 PM
Good points for me to bring up in the class discussion tomorrow.

Even though they pay cash they don't pay taxes, they also use the emergency room for doctor visits so they can't be refused service and then dont pay the bill.

Also if they leave the city or state in a recession they dont build community sentiment, but cry about discrimination when we segregate there kids in class who don't speak english.

You got it. You can make notes of things mentioned here and throw the stuff back at the teacher in class. He'll think your a smart ass republican or a very bright lady who comes up with all sorts of arguments. Either way it's win win.

chloe
08-30-2011, 07:43 PM
You got it. You can make notes of things mentioned here and throw the stuff back at the teacher in class. He'll think your a smart ass republican or a very bright lady who comes up with all sorts of arguments. Either way it's win win.

My Teacher is a lady, but I am going to use things you people say and I come back and tell you what my Teacher says about that !!!:laugh2:

Kathianne
08-30-2011, 07:45 PM
Ask your teacher if drug dealers, thieves and armed robbers stimulate the economy too.

I thanked this post, though I think most illegals are here to better their family's lives. I don't think they are drug dealer, armed robbers, or thieves. However, the emphasis on cash resonates across the board. The question is certainly a logical outcome of his/her point of view.

Gaffer
08-30-2011, 07:47 PM
My Teacher is a lady, but I am going to use things you people say and I come back and tell you what my Teacher says about that !!!:laugh2:

That sounds good. It will generate a lot of discussion I'm sure. I'm sure they will realize real soon your not a real blonde. :laugh:

chloe
08-30-2011, 07:55 PM
That sounds good. It will generate a lot of discussion I'm sure. I'm sure they will realize real soon your not a real blonde. :laugh:

Im the only blonde in that class, I sometimes want to slouch down as when we watched that film it seemed the illegals HATED blonde hair and blue eyes americans, they kept saying "those blue eyes blonde americans" in a tone like it a bad word !!! :laugh2:

I'm thinking of dying my hair black and wearing brown colored contacts. kidden

logroller
08-31-2011, 06:41 AM
Im the only blonde in that class, I sometimes want to slouch down as when we watched that film it seemed the illegals HATED blonde hair and blue eyes americans, they kept saying "those blue eyes blonde americans" in a tone like it a bad word !!! :laugh2:

I'm thinking of dying my hair black and wearing brown colored contacts. kidden

Are they going to show a video of Non-hispanic Americans talking about how mexicans are taking over our country, doubt it.

No constructive endeavor in a class on race and ethnicity justifies your feeling denigrated by the opinions expressed in the film. You should issue a challenge of the course's integrity to the dean. A course in race and ethnicity is meant to break down stereotypes, not convey them. Doing so doesn't require an exposition of stereotypes, but rather a presentation of evidence which contradicts those misunderstandings which lead to stereotypes. I guarantee you, were the tables turned, a hispanic minority would scream racism-- as well they should. We all should.

chloe
08-31-2011, 09:13 AM
Are they going to show a video of Non-hispanic Americans talking about how mexicans are taking over our country, doubt it.

No constructive endeavor in a class on race and ethnicity justifies your feeling denigrated by the opinions expressed in the film. You should issue a challenge of the course's integrity to the dean. A course in race and ethnicity is meant to break down stereotypes, not convey them. Doing so doesn't require an exposition of stereotypes, but rather a presentation of evidence which contradicts those misunderstandings which lead to stereotypes. I guarantee you, were the tables turned, a hispanic minority would scream racism-- as well they should. We all should.

Well we do have to watch 3 movies on race and ethnicity themes and 3 books and write reports about them, the Teacher gave us titles we could choose from or if we have a better one we can ask the Teacher if we can use it. They all have to be specific to race & ethnicity in America. I was surprized the Color Purple wasn't listed as a movie choice. My net bro Alan said I should rock the boat too but since I paid $417.00 to take this required class I don't want to get a bad grade and have to pay more money to retake class. Believe it or not offline I'm shy. My online personna is just a front.;)

PS. Did we get married?

logroller
08-31-2011, 04:54 PM
Well we do have to watch 3 movies on race and ethnicity themes and 3 books and write reports about them, the Teacher gave us titles we could choose from or if we have a better one we can ask the Teacher if we can use it. They all have to be specific to race & ethnicity in America. I was surprized the Color Purple wasn't listed as a movie choice. My net bro Alan said I should rock the boat too but since I paid $417.00 to take this required class I don't want to get a bad grade and have to pay more money to retake class. Believe it or not offline I'm shy. My online personna is just a front.;)

PS. Did we get married?

I hear ya. I've rocked the boat in two classes, and I'm sure it hurt my grade. But I still pulled a B and B-. As for online personas, ditto; that's what's so great about it IMO--kinda get to cut loose and say the things you refrain from in the physical realm.

As for marriage; I'd hoped, given the recent changes to NY marriage law, that things had changed; but it's pretty obvious society just can't accept a committed poly-amorous relationship. So for the time being, we'd best remain just friends...... w/bennies of course!

Trigg
08-31-2011, 05:36 PM
Funny thing, my wife - Hispanic - is a viscous bitch when facing illegal aliens. Maximum penalty every time she can get it.

That isn't surprising. Everyone just assumes that all hispanics think alike, like they are just one big happy family and sympathize with illegals.

Hispanics can be any race, black, white, indian and asian, they are people who are from an hispanic speaking country.

My cousin is half Mexican (indian) and white, NO sympathy for illegals. My husband's cousin is half Mexican (indian) and white, he turned in some illegals not to long ago, again NO sympathy.

People who sneak into this country are here illegally, I don't care if it's a bunch of white Canadian people, if they are here illegally they need to go home.

ConHog
08-31-2011, 05:47 PM
That isn't surprising. Everyone just assumes that all hispanics think alike, like they are just one big happy family and sympathize with illegals.

Hispanics can be any race, black, white, indian and asian, they are people who are from an hispanic speaking country.

My cousin is half Mexican (indian) and white, NO sympathy for illegals. My husband's cousin is half Mexican (indian) and white, he turned in some illegals not to long ago, again NO sympathy.

People who sneak into this country are here illegally, I don't care if it's a bunch of white Canadian people, if they are here illegally they need to go home.

My wife is Hispanic, both of her parents came here legally from Mexico over 30 years ago. She was born in Arkansas. She and her family have NO sympathy for illegals either.

chloe
09-12-2011, 09:15 PM
RKBrmDfQfWE

So finally learned what the difference is between race & ethnicity and it's interesting how sociologists approach it.

They don't really believe there are racial differences. Also Jews are considered an ethnicity much like gypsies and cajons because of there cultural lifestyle and ways of being. So in that kind of defining I can say Mormons in Utah are like, cajons, gypsies and jews. :salute:

chloe
09-12-2011, 09:27 PM
I think it is interesting to trace heritage, and out here they also keep a DNA genealogy library which traces your roots biologically too.

mv4uSyXVK-0

fgtVHaqsw4M

OV6eWmaXsgU

https://www.23andme.com/

http://www.dnaancestryproject.com/?gclid=CPLo-Y6WmasCFQVrgwodIETvng

chloe
09-12-2011, 09:50 PM
Exz0yNdvksg

logroller
09-12-2011, 11:32 PM
Ida know about all this sciencey stuff, I like the racial draft idea purposed by Chapelle.

http://youtu.be/UUSAoXlS2YE

chloe
09-13-2011, 10:54 AM
0BTBXEuwsKc

chloe
09-16-2011, 07:05 PM
I hope I can remember all the 4 chapters we studied.

I didn't ask in class but maybe someone here can explain why we say "affirmative action" is ok but "racial profiling" is not ?

Gaffer
09-16-2011, 07:11 PM

I didn't ask in class but maybe someone here can explain why we say "affirmative action" is ok but "racial profiling" is not ?

Because it's the politically correct response. But they won't like that answer.

My response is affirmative action sucks, while racial profiling is common sense. And I guarantee that is the wrong answer in your class.

chloe
09-16-2011, 07:13 PM
do none or do both

Gaffer
09-16-2011, 07:18 PM
do none or do both

I'm sure they want you to applaud affirmative action and condemn racial profiling. Just gotta wait and see how they word the question.

Poke
09-16-2011, 07:42 PM

If a doctor tests a black person for sickle cell anemia that is racial profiling.
If a white guy robs a bank and the police bulletin says to be on a lookout for a WHITE MAN, that is racial profiling.
Not all racial profiling is bad or racist.
It would be foolish for a doctor to test for sickle cell anemia if a person isn't black and it would be foolish for police to question black people (or asian or hispanic, etc) for a bank robbery committed by a white man.

chloe
09-16-2011, 07:46 PM
If a doctor tests a black person for sickle cell anemia that is racial profiling.
If a white guy robs a bank and the police bulletin says to be on a lookout for a WHITE MAN, that is racial profiling.
Not all racial profiling is bad or racist.
It would be foolish for a doctor to test for sickle cell anemia if a person isn't black and it would be foolish for police to question black people (or asian or hispanic, etc) for a bank robbery committed by a white man.

Ok but then we should have both racial profiling & affirmative action accepted as par for the course yes?

Poke
09-16-2011, 08:00 PM
Ok but then we should have both racial profiling & affirmative action accepted as par for the course yes?

I'll skip on the affirmative action part.

chloe
09-16-2011, 08:05 PM
I'll skip on the affirmative action part.

I don't understand that, my teacher said that affirmative action is to prevent companies from only hiring white people and discriminating, and so in a way affirmative action is a racial profiling of companies, she said in the old days companies used bias iq tests and those tests were designed for middle and upper class white men who had advantages and understood language well whereas minorities would have no chance in competing against those white men for the jobs.

They must have determined that through racial profiling too.

Gaffer
09-16-2011, 08:06 PM
Affirmative action is giving someone and advantage because of their skin color.

Poke
09-16-2011, 08:17 PM
Chloe,
since you are a college student, lets take college entrance as a microcosm of affirmative action.
Lets suppose that in an effort to make college more available to minorities we set different standards so that minorities have a better chance of getting a college education (sounds good so far). A lower standard for some folks is affirmative action.
Is the person that received the lowered standard able to compete academically as well as the person that had to meet the higher standards?
Somehow, I don''t think think affirmative action did this student (lower requirements) any favours. He/She will end up being unable to compete because they were granted college entrance not based upon their academic skills, but based upon their minority status. In all likelihood, they will fail. Let's not put fools and idiots in direct competition with a genius and call it fair because of affirmative action.

chloe
09-16-2011, 08:21 PM
Chloe,
since you are a college student, lets take college entrance as a microcosm of affirmative action.
Lets suppose that in an effort to make college more available to minorities we set different standards so that minorities have a better chance of getting a college education (sounds good so far). A lower standard for some folks is affirmative action.
Is the person that received the lowered standard able to compete academically as well as the person that had to meet the higher standards?

Somehow, I don''t think think affirmative action did this student (lower requirements) any favours. He/She will end up being unable to compete because they were granted college entrance not based upon their academic skills, but based upon their minority status. In all likelihood, they will fail. Let's not put fools and idiots in direct competition with a genius and call it fair because of affirmative action.

so what happens to the fool and idiot?

Trinity
09-16-2011, 08:32 PM

It's called downtown Cincinnati....:coffee:

chloe
09-16-2011, 08:34 PM
It's called downtown Cincinnati....:coffee:

Dayum if I don't finish I hope you n gaff will visit me there :laugh2:

Poke
09-16-2011, 08:46 PM
Twas in my post,

In all likelihood, they will fail.
It isn't pretty, but is reality.
Someday you may have children, I suspect that you won't expect them to be competitive in major league baseball when they are T-ball players.
Same kinda analogy as affirmative action for college students.

chloe
09-16-2011, 08:53 PM
Twas in my post,

It isn't pretty, but is reality.
Someday you may have children, I suspect that you won't expect them to be competitive in major league baseball when they are T-ball players.
Same kinda analogy as affirmative action for college students.

oh, I have two children daughters they are 15 and 18 yrs old.

I dropped out in high school because I got married when i was 16, and the last grade completed was 9th grade, later after I FAILED like you predicted, I got remarried and got my GED and started College but then in my 2nd marriage I had those 2 babies and dropped out of school again the husband left us when they were 6 & 3 and so I worked crap jobs and raised them the best I could by myself and no welfare I might add, last year I sold my house and I have been living off that money and decided to go back to school, as I have always wanted to finish school, I suppose it just means something to me.

I like to ask questions alot poke. ;) sorry that I overlooked your answer about them failing.

Poke
09-16-2011, 09:08 PM
oh, I have two children daughters they are 15 and 18 yrs old.

I dropped out in high school because I got married when i was 16, and the last grade completed was 9th grade, later after I FAILED like you predicted, I got remarried and got my GED and started College but then in my 2nd marriage I had those 2 babies and dropped out of school again the husband left us when they were 6 & 3 and so I worked crap jobs and raised them the best I could by myself and no welfare I might add, last year I sold my house and I have been living off that money and decided to go back to school, as I have always wanted to finish school, I suppose it just means something to me.

I like to ask questions alot poke. ;) sorry that I overlooked your answer about them failing.
I assumed that as a college student you were young and inexperienced in the ways of life.

does anybody have a napkin so that I can wipe the egg off of my face?

Pursue your goals Ms Chloe, it will do you good.

chloe
09-16-2011, 09:57 PM
I assumed that as a college student you were young and inexperienced in the ways of life.

Pursue your goals Ms Chloe, it will do you good.

That's ok I asked a question you had already answered it would be easy to see me as inexperienced. I do like school alot but sometimes I want to ask stuff in class that I know people are going to get all upset about, it's really for clarification in my own mind to distinguish something that I am not understanding and I don't ask because I just am more or less shy offline then I am online.

Thanks for participating in this thread:salute:

Poke
09-16-2011, 10:12 PM
That's ok I asked a question you had already answered it would be easy to see me as inexperienced. I do like school alot but sometimes I want to ask stuff in class that I know people are going to get all upset about, it's really for clarification in my own mind to distinguish something that I am not understanding and I don't ask because I just am more or less shy offline then I am online.

Thanks for participating in this thread:salute:
Ask the questions and seek the answers, that is what education is all about. Those that may get upset will also be exposed to learning.

chloe
09-16-2011, 10:14 PM
Ask the questions and seek the answers, that is what education is all about. Those that may get upset will also be exposed to learning.

well this is a class I have to take it's required and my teacher is very far left liberal so I notice that when other people have asked thing she assumes it's an opinion instead of a question and I dont want to be graded based on emotional responses either. So I just ask here, wink.

Poke
09-16-2011, 10:32 PM
well this is a class I have to take it's required and my teacher is very far left liberal so I notice that when other people have asked thing she assumes it's an opinion instead of a question and I dont want to be graded based on emotional responses either. So I just ask here, wink.
Is it really an education if the professor intimidates one from asking questions?

chloe
09-16-2011, 10:42 PM
Is it really an education if the professor intimidates one from asking questions?

well I have to take it to get the degree I want and i can't work the job I want to work unless I get the degree, so that's basically that, still I did learn that just like saying jew them down is offensive to jews, saying being Jipped is offensive to gypsies, I've learned new offenses I never knew existed.:laugh2:

Poke
09-16-2011, 10:48 PM
well I have to take it to get the degree I want and i can't work the job I want to work unless I get the degree, so that's basically that, still I did learn that just like saying jew them down is offensive to jews, saying being Jipped is offensive to gypsies, I've learned new offenses I never knew existed.:laugh2:

chloe
09-16-2011, 10:55 PM

I suppose not Poke but I need to pass the class, it cost $417.00 and I don't want to get failed and have to pay again to retake it. ;)

chloe
09-21-2011, 01:03 PM
I got a B+ on my test YAY !!!! Now writing extra credit report.:salute:

Gaffer
09-21-2011, 01:10 PM
Cool I knew you would do well. Extra credit just adds more points to your grade average. :clap: :salute:

chloe
09-21-2011, 02:00 PM
Cool I knew you would do well. Extra credit just adds more points to your grade average. :clap: :salute:

I have my extra credit report done, I am still working on the one about crash.....I got distracted by watching silence of the lambs.....:rolleyes:

Gaffer
09-21-2011, 02:54 PM
I have my extra credit report done, I am still working on the one about crash.....I got distracted by watching silence of the lambs.....:rolleyes:

I can see how that could happen. It's a good movie. And the Crash report isn't due till the end of the month. I'm sure you will get distracted again as you work on it. ;) I'm still working on finding it. May have to make a run to walmart tomorrow and pick it up there.

chloe
09-21-2011, 03:14 PM
I can see how that could happen. It's a good movie. And the Crash report isn't due till the end of the month. I'm sure you will get distracted again as you work on it. ;) I'm still working on finding it. May have to make a run to walmart tomorrow and pick it up there.

It's due monday, I already got it covered ;)

Gaffer
09-21-2011, 03:31 PM
It's due monday, I already got it covered ;)

Okay then. I thought you had another week to go on it. But if you got it covered then I won't fret about it.