PDA

View Full Version : American Idol?

-Cp
01-20-2007, 04:57 PM
Parent Hat on Mode:

For the past few seasons my wife and I have let our kids watch American Idol as they really get into the people and seeing them go from being a "normal person" to a Celebrity - that's all find and well i suppose.. BUT....

This season - so far anyway - has started to get under my skin even more than ever; for many reaons I'm sure - due to the fact that it's obvious the producers of that show purposely plant retarded people (even if actors) in front of the 3 main judges only to have them laughed at and ridiculed for their physical appearances...

Because of that my wife and I are now highly considering not letting our kids watch the show until they're all in Hollywood and not laughing at folks during the multi-city try-outs... as we don't think it's healthy to have our kids it's okay to somehow laugh or make fun of those who are obviously missing certain mental facalties...

my $.02-cents...

Bubbalicious
01-20-2007, 05:08 PM
I'm not sure if they're actually retarded. Some do seem close to borderline though. I'd rather they just made fun of the clueless people with inflated egos than say that obese guy who made friends with that guy who looked like Mr. Peepers (you watch last time?). That was just sad, and it looked exploitative.

Gaffer
01-20-2007, 05:10 PM
I have never watched it. Seen clips and haven't been impressed with what they do. The clips this year do seem to be insulting people for their looks rather than their terribly singing. Looks like another year I am not interested in watching it.

stephanie
01-20-2007, 05:27 PM
I'm with Gaffer...
From the first reviews when I saw them ridiculing the people, I said..Not

Never watched a show..

dan
01-20-2007, 05:40 PM
I agree, Cp, I'm not a fan of the show, but my roommate is, so I watched the first episode and part of the second one. I can think of at least two people off the top of my head who were obviously retarded, however mildly, and I think the fact that the producers willingly let them go on, and all three judges had no problem laughing at them, both to their face and behind their back, is disgusting. I won't be watching any more episodes.

The only good thing about that first episode was that it reminded me how beautiful Jewel is. She shouldn't be lowering herself to doing this garbage.

Pale Rider
01-21-2007, 03:51 PM
The opening shows of Idol this year were the biggest ones ever. Just heard they had something like 32 MILLION viewers.

I watched it for the first time. I was deffinitely surprized to see all the MORONS that thought they could sing. It WAS HORRENDOUS! "I" can sing better than half the people I saw. What EVER gave them the idea they could sing? It's either a joke, or the producers DID let them on JUST to give the show a kick.

Mr. P
01-21-2007, 04:09 PM
I’ve watch every season and it is SAD they have sunken to such a low level of exploitation this year. Then again it is TV, ratings, ratings, ratings.
To bad they don’t seek the ratings with good entertainment.

Gaffer
01-21-2007, 04:34 PM
I’ve watch every season and it is SAD they have sunken to such a low level of exploitation this year. Then again it is TV, ratings, ratings, ratings.
To bad they don’t seek the ratings with good entertainment.

Exploitation is what tv is all about now days. There is no real entertainment.

Mr. P
01-21-2007, 04:55 PM
Exploitation is what tv is all about now days. There is no real entertainment.

House

dan
01-21-2007, 06:11 PM
House

I actually find House to be exploitative. Maybe that's not the right word, but I find it to be shocking for the sake of being shocking.

Roomy
01-22-2007, 02:36 AM
They put the dafties through to laugh at them, Cowel and co don't see all of the Idol Hopefuls in person, there are three seperate rounds of auditions in front of production staff.In reality the judges see very few contestants and thousands of excellent performers never make it to the tv rounds.Hundreds of real Idols end up lost in the crowds.

jillian
01-22-2007, 07:10 AM
I actually find House to be exploitative. Maybe that's not the right word, but I find it to be shocking for the sake of being shocking.

I really like House. I think he's a great character. Why do you think it's exploitive?

dan
01-22-2007, 10:06 AM
I really like House. I think he's a great character. Why do you think it's exploitive?

It seems like the FOX version of ER to me. I've seen it twice, the first time a kid was at a museum and started bleeding profusely out of his ass. To the point that I had to turn it off it was so overboard.

The second time, a guy was peeing and his schlong swelled up and exploded. Then, later, you find out the whole thing was a dream. So, it had no bearing on the plot whatsoever and was, thus, simply there for shock value.

Roomy
01-23-2007, 05:22 AM
After watching American Idol at the weekend I have to conclude that the highest proportion of inbred morons must reside in the Seattle area:eek2: Do these people not have carers to watch over them and shield them from ridicule?Shame on the producers.I almost laughed 'til I died then felt quite ashamed of myself before deciding it was exploitation at it's very worst and should be stopped.:) I can hardly wait for the next episode.:D