PDA

View Full Version : American Samoa sued for age discrimination

chloe
08-30-2011, 09:19 PM
PAGO PAGO, American Samoa (AP) - The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission has filed a lawsuit against American Samoa, claiming the U.S. territory's government discriminated against older workers.
The lawsuit, filed Tuesday in U.S. District Court in Hawaii, is the first time the EEOC is suing the government of American Samoa.
Evelyn Langford, director of the territory's department of human resources, conducted a meeting in 2009 where she told employees that those 50 and older should retire to make room for the younger generation, according to the complaint. The EEOC claims those who did not retire were reassigned to undesirable positions.
Langford and other American Samoa government officials did not respond to requests for comment Tuesday.
The lawsuit seeks relief on behalf of Eseneiaso Liu, 61, and a class of other workers who may have been reassigned or discharged because of their age. Liu started as a clerk in 1968 and in 2004, she became chief of the personnel division.
Around January 2009, the governor of American Samoa made a speech "encouraging our territory's top-level career service employees to take up retirement or move to the private sector" and that by freeing up those positions jobs can be provided "for our children returning from school," the lawsuit notes.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=157&sid=17041660

I wouldn't mind being forced into early retirement.

ConHog
08-30-2011, 09:28 PM
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=157&sid=17041660

I wouldn't mind being forced into early retirement.

LOL Someone should give them a nudge and let them know that our own government has mandatory retirement at many different positions.

KartRacerBoy
08-30-2011, 10:50 PM
I watched my stepdad being forced into early retirement at 55. It nearly killed him he became so morose. It ended up being the best thing to happen to him in his career, but for 2-3 yrs it didn't look like that. I'm glad he found a way out.

Age discrimination sucks, folks. Try finding a job of significance near age 50. I'm a few months from that birthday and I've been looking for a job for 18 months. I don't know that age is keeping me unemployed but I'm damn sure it isn't helping me in the legal field.