PDA

View Full Version : One leetle problem with Sept. 7 Joint Session, ASIDE from the Republican debate

Little-Acorn
08-31-2011, 05:24 PM
President Obama has called for a Joint Session of Congress on Sept, 7 at 8:00 PM Eastern time, so that he can make a speech to them about jobs.

Many have already pointed out that this is the date for the debate among Republican candidates for President, and speculated that Obama is trying to divert attention from it... and especially from newly-declared Rick Perry, who will be in these debates for the first time that night.

But there's another leetle problem.

To accept a President's call for a Joint Session, each house of Congress must write up a resolution to that effect, debate it, pass it, and reconcile any differences; and finally send it to the President.

The problem: The House is currently out of session. And they won't be back until... you guessed it... Sept. 7. At 6:30 PM.

It takes many hours for even the simplest resolutions to go thru the above steps. Pretty much impossible for the House to do its part in approving a Joint Session.

John Boehner just sent him a letter, pointing this out:
http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/watercooler/2011/aug/31/boehner-obama-joint-session-date-no/

Pretty hard for me to believe that the President of the United States didn't know this... or at least didn't have people around him to inform him of the fact BEFORE he made the official call.

So... why did the President call for that particular time and date, knowing it couldn't be done (even if no concurrent debates were scheduled)?

Very weird.

Gaffer
08-31-2011, 05:33 PM
He wants to make the republican house look like their at fault for not accepting a joint session. This is a purely political move and very obvious. And his only goal is to draw attention away from the debate. And it probably was his advisers idea. None of them have a clue how legal processes work. It's why he's such a shitty president.

fj1200
08-31-2011, 06:06 PM
It's why he's such a shitty president.

Hold on now, that's not fair. :slap:

There are TONS of reasons why he sucks so let's not narrow it down.

:laugh:

Gaffer
08-31-2011, 07:54 PM
Hold on now, that's not fair. :slap:

There are TONS of reasons why he sucks so let's not narrow it down.

:laugh:

I need to amend that. It's ONE of the MANY reasons he's a shitty president.

KartRacerBoy
08-31-2011, 09:17 PM
I heard about this on NPR this afternoon when they interview Ron Paul. I'm no fan of the guy but he called it like he saw it. Obama is just trying to draw attention away from the debate with this speech. Come on. The debate has been scheduled for how long and the President needs to have a speech on that particular night?

I voted for the guy but that is just RUDE.

Gaffer
08-31-2011, 09:21 PM
I heard about this on NPR this afternoon when they interview Ron Paul. I'm no fan of the guy but he called it like he saw it. Obama is just trying to draw attention away from the debate with this speech. Come on. The debate has been scheduled for how long and the President needs to have a speech on that particular night?

Who do you think would pull the larger audience? My bet is the prez would fail again.

red states rule
09-01-2011, 02:17 AM

Why all they hype over this "jobs" speech. Like his other ideas it will accomplish NOTHING so Boehner should decline and make Obama give his speech on another day

I doubt many people will tune in anyway

red states rule
09-01-2011, 02:19 AM
He wants to make the republican house look like their at fault for not accepting a joint session. This is a purely political move and very obvious. And his only goal is to draw attention away from the debate. And it probably was his advisers idea. None of them have a clue how legal processes work. It's why he's such a shitty president.

http://media.townhall.com/Townhall/Car/b/kn083011dAPC20110830044515.jpg

Little-Acorn
09-01-2011, 04:09 PM
http://media.townhall.com/Townhall/Car/b/kn083011dAPC20110830044515.jpg

You know, it's a funny thing.

It turns out that this is also the exact text of his Welfare speech.

And his Health Care speech.

And his Environmental speech.

And his Schools speech.

And his Retirement-fund speech.

And......

(ad infinitum)

Kathianne
09-01-2011, 04:12 PM
Well the whole timing thing won't matter a bit down the road, but was a pretty dumb move by the WH. Now it's moved to Thursday, with a promise to be off before the 8:30 kick off of football game. LOL!

red states rule
09-01-2011, 04:57 PM
Boehner's office sent this to Obama explaining why the request was denied. Of course the left sees racism, and hate in their decline

Libs are in full panic mode and they will only get worse as we head into 2012

President Barack Obama
The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20500

Dear Mr. President:

Thank you for your letter requesting time to address a Joint Session of Congress next week. I agree that creating a better environment for job creation must be our most urgent priority. For months, the House has been implementing an agenda designed to reduce economic uncertainty, remove unnecessary government barriers to private-sector job creation, and help small businesses, and we welcome the opportunity to hear your latest proposals.

As your spokesperson today said, there are considerations about the Congressional calendar that must be made prior to scheduling such an extraordinary event. As you know, the House of Representatives and Senate are each required to adopt a Concurrent Resolution to allow for a Joint Session of Congress to receive the President. And as the Majority Leader announced more than a month ago, the House will not be in session until Wednesday, September 7, with votes at 6:30 that evening.

With the significant amount of time - typically more than three hours - that is required to allow for a security sweep of the House Chamber before receiving a President, it is my recommendation that your address be held on the following evening, when we can ensure there will be no parliamentary or logistical impediments that might detract from your remarks. As such, on behalf of the bipartisan leadership and membership of both the House and Senate, I respectfully invite you to address a Joint Session of Congress on Thursday, September 8, 2011 in the House Chamber, at a time that works best for your schedule.

We look forward to hearing your ideas and working together to solve America's jobs crisis.
Sincerely,
John Boehner

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/08/31/7543451-boehner-rebuffs-president-obama-suggests-different-day-for-speech

red states rule
09-01-2011, 05:45 PM
Now the WH is having a temper tantrum over their massive failure

Aw: White House "Furious" Over Jobs Speech Flap

It seemed like a trivial matter: On Wednesday, House Republicans forced the president to delay his speech to a joint session of Congress by one day. Who cares? The White House cares. Very much. “It is a big deal that the House said ‘no’ to the president from our end,” a White House source with intimate knowledge of what took place between the House and the president told me Thursday. “This confirms what we all know: They will do anything in the House to muck us up.”

Ah, yes. Much like everything else that ails America, this scheduling dust-up is Congress' fault -- more specifically, it's the Republican-held House's fault, natch. It's the House's fault that it hasn't passed every last Obama action item, even though much of his (undoubtedly unaffordable) agenda remains a mystery. It's the House's fault that the president chose not to introduce a jobs plan earlier -- say, any time in the last year or so. It's the House's fault that Obama decided to delay his "big" announcement even further so he could go on vacation. And it's the House's fault that the administration disregarded precedent and protocol by unilaterally announcing the date and time of a joint session address without clearing it with Congressional leaders. Which reminds me of another nugget in the Politico story:

The White House was well aware the president’s speech would conflict with a planned Republican debate sponsored by POLITICO and NBC to be held at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library in Simi Valley, Calif. The debate would be broadcast live by MSNBC, CNBC, Telemundo and live-streamed by POLITICO.
Yet the White House did not see this as an obstacle. “With all due respect, the POLITICO-MSNBC debate was one that was going on a cable station,” the White House source said. “It was not sacrosanct. We knew they would push it back and then there would be a GOP debate totally trashing the president. So it wasn’t all an upside for us.”

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/guybenson/2011/09/01/aw_white_house_furious_over_jobs_speech_flap

Little-Acorn
09-03-2011, 01:32 PM
Well the whole timing thing won't matter a bit down the road, but was a pretty dumb move by the WH. Now it's moved to Thursday, with a promise to be off before the 8:30 kick off of football game. LOL!

That's one promise he will inevitably keep. (For a change.)

His speech WILL be over at 8:30... because at 8:30 his entire audience will leave, even if he keeps talking.

red states rule
09-04-2011, 04:14 AM
That's one promise he will inevitably keep. (For a change.)

His speech WILL be over at 8:30... because at 8:30 his entire audience will leave, even if he keeps talking.

What audience?

It is logical people would have to tune in in order to leave. I suspect the Chris Matthews show on MSNBC will have higher ratings than this Obama speech