PDA

View Full Version : American college kid joins Libya rebels for 'vacation'

chloe
09-03-2011, 10:30 AM
In the center stands a 21-year-old American college student from Los Angeles. Chris Jeon wears a cobalt basketball jersey emblazoned with the words “Los Angeles” and the number 44, camouflage pants, and black and white converse sneakers. Around his neck hangs a spent ammunition casing on a string, and a black and white scarf is wrapped around his head, courtesy of the rebel fighters.
Why is he here?

“This is one of the few real revolutions,” he said. “I just thought I’d come check it out.”

“I just go and see what happens,” he said. “At spring break I told my friends a 'sick' vacation would be to come here and fight with the rebels.”
He spent $800 on a one-way ticket from L.A. to Cairo, then traveled by land across the border into Libya, where he has now been for nearly two weeks. His parents do not know he is here. He speaks no Arabic, and has been staying with fighters and families in the area.
“I haven’t spent a dollar in weeks,” he says, because the people of Libya have extended such hospitality.
He has no way of contact with the outside world, and on Tuesday was unsure of the date. Yet he seemed to be having the time of his life.
At the rebel checkpoint about 80 miles from Sirte, he held a Russian-made shotgun the rebels had given him, appearing to be unfamiliar with it. Then a rebel handed him an AK-47, and he awkwardly fired several rounds into the air. The fighters cheered and laughed before quickly taking the gun back.

The boisterous rebel fighters, clearly enjoying this foreigner who had joined their ranks, shouted competing offers for him to join their respective brigades. Jeon needed translation to understand what they were asking. He communicates with sign language, and broken Italian.

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Middle-East/2011/0901/American-college-kid-joins-Libya-rebels-for-vacation

Yeah I was thinking of going to Darfur for christmas and kicking around with some guerilla fighters:laugh2:

KartRacerBoy
09-03-2011, 10:40 AM
Next stop for this kid? Go check out the nuke plants in the earthquake zones of Japan! What fun!:laugh:

To each his own, I guess.

red states rule
09-03-2011, 10:40 AM
I id is a future liberal voter and maybe even a candidate for office on the Dem ballot

chloe
09-03-2011, 10:46 AM
For easter I'm thinking of vacationing in Iran and handing out arabic copies of the feminine mystique to veiled women for fun:laugh2:

Noir
09-03-2011, 10:50 AM
I'd love to do something like that. Where it not for the whole not wanting to hurt people lol.

red states rule
09-03-2011, 10:54 AM
I'd love to do something like that. Where it not for the whole not wanting to hurt people lol.

Yea Noir, go find yourself in a damn war zone

What a way for a lib to spend his summer vacation

You could do the same thing as your fellow students were rioting in the streets and torching the city

red states rule
09-03-2011, 10:59 AM
For easter I'm thinking of vacationing in Iran and handing out arabic copies of the feminine mystique to veiled women for fun:laugh2:

I would be next to you handing out copies of Playboy with a feature on "The Women of Muslim Mosques"

KartRacerBoy
09-03-2011, 10:59 AM

You could do the same thing as your fellow students were rioting in the streets and torching the city

You make a heck of an assumption. How do you know the kid isn't some crazy, NRA loving, gun toting moron? You don't. You're just as stupid as the vacationing kid.

red states rule
09-03-2011, 11:02 AM
You make a heck of an assumption. How do you know the kid isn't some crazy, NRA loving, gun toting moron? You don't. You're just as stupid as the vacationing kid.

The fact he went to a war zone to find himself tells me ihe is a nutty lib. He could have easily done the same thing by joining the striking Verizon workers as they trashed company property, yelled threats to other workers, and stood outside the CEO's home shouting the usual vulgar language union thugs are known for

As I said, this kid has a bright future in the Dem party

KartRacerBoy
09-03-2011, 11:06 AM
The fact he went to a war zone to find himself tells me ihe is a nutty lib. He could have easily done the same thing by joining the striking Verizon workers as they trashed company property, yelled threats to other workers, and stood outside the CEO's home shouting the usual vulgar language union thugs are known for

What a nonresponsive post. Thanks for that.

And you think liberals are uncivil? Perhaps, but they learned it from the likes of you.

red states rule
09-03-2011, 11:09 AM
What a nonresponsive post. Thanks for that.

And you think liberals are uncivil? Perhaps, but they learned it from the likes of you.

It would be news to me if the Univ of CA was a baston of conservative kids Kart.

Your civility is already well known here and you are the modren day postor child of the Dem party. You are all for an open discussion of ideas - as long as everyone agrees with you

If not, they are taged a racist since being a liberal you believe the only reason anyone would oppose Obama is do his skin color

As Obama's polls number and the economy sink further, your civility will only get "better" Kart

Noir
09-03-2011, 11:18 AM

I'd say spending a summer helping free people from an oppressive ruler would be a most worthwhile cause. Hopefully the new government they get will be better for them.

If you equate Lybia to the London riots you're wayyy off, and as I've previously stated, if I'd been in England during those riots I'd of been on the streets telling the rioters how stupid they were.

red states rule
09-03-2011, 11:22 AM
I'd say spending a summer helping free people from an oppressive ruler would be a most worthwhile cause. Hopefully the new government they get will be better for them.

If you equate Lybia to the London riots you're wayyy off, and as I've previously stated, if I'd been in England during those riots I'd of been on the streets telling the rioters how stupid they were.

So now it is OK to help people from an oppressive ruler. Damn, I don;t recall you ebing in support of the troops in Iraq during the Bush years

I gues I must have missed those posts Noir

As far as the rioters in Londaon they set the city on fire over having to pay more for the government services they used. Looked to me like they wanted to overthrow the government and at the same time were buring people out of their shops and taking what they could

Gaffer
09-03-2011, 11:34 AM
Only a liberal would go to a warzone for vacation to see what its like. He gets to rub elbows with a bunch of jihadists and pose with a rifle in his hand. How does he intend to get back? He bought a one way ticket. Does he have money? I see a prime hostage here. A conservative would have gone to his nearest recruiting office and signed up. This clown thinks he's visiting a movie set.

I wonder if they'll post the beheading on youtube?

chloe
09-03-2011, 11:39 AM
Only a liberal would go to a warzone for vacation to see what its like. He gets to rub elbows with a bunch of jihadists and pose with a rifle in his hand. How does he intend to get back? He bought a one way ticket. Does he have money? I see a prime hostage here. A conservative would have gone to his nearest recruiting office and signed up. This clown thinks he's visiting a movie set.

I wonder if they'll post the beheading on youtube?

He could have at least spent money locally in our country and just vacationed to some state that does prison executions that way at least he's stimulating the economy on local travels hotels, resteraunts and what not:rolleyes:

KartRacerBoy
09-03-2011, 01:47 PM
It would be news to me if the Univ of CA was a baston of conservative kids Kart.

Your civility is already well known here and you are the modren day postor child of the Dem party. You are all for an open discussion of ideas - as long as everyone agrees with you

If not, they are taged a racist since being a liberal you believe the only reason anyone would oppose Obama is do his skin color

As Obama's polls number and the economy sink further, your civility will only get "better" Kart

No. I tag racists as racists. That means I tag you as a racist becz of what you say, who you are, and what you post. I also tag you as an ass, but that's just the ice cream on the cake.

Noir
09-03-2011, 10:14 PM
So now it is OK to help people from an oppressive ruler. Damn, I don;t recall you ebing in support of the troops in Iraq during the Bush years

I gues I must have missed those posts Noir

As far as the rioters in Londaon they set the city on fire over having to pay more for the government services they used. Looked to me like they wanted to overthrow the government and at the same time were buring people out of their shops and taking what they could

That you must have! I was, and am, pro-war in Iraq and any other country where the people are oppressed by tyrants. I was not in favour of Britians reasons for going to war because they where lies and hyperbole, difference.

The london riots where as a result of boredom and idiocy, nothing more, nothingness.

OCA
09-03-2011, 10:19 PM

God that is almost word for word from Limbaugh's Thursday program LMFAO!

Gaffer
09-03-2011, 10:32 PM
God that is almost word for word from Limbaugh's Thursday program LMFAO!

So you admit to listening to Limbaugh?

KartRacerBoy
09-03-2011, 10:33 PM

:laugh:

red states rule
09-04-2011, 04:23 AM

Nice one Gaffer

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_wOMA7itaL4M/TSdHnR2_ccI/AAAAAAAAACM/tjTQNq8XqBE/s1600/smackdown.jpg

OCA
09-04-2011, 08:29 AM

I love listening to him, its better than listening to a Chris Rock comedy cd and as good a fairy tale as any Mother Goose could ever come up with.

Gunny
09-04-2011, 09:05 AM
I would be next to you handing out copies of Playboy with a feature on "The Women of Muslim Mosques"

Gunny
09-04-2011, 09:07 AM

Or as stupid as your post? Or your stereotype of gun owners? Not our fault there are too many moving parts on a zip gun for you to fathom.

fj1200
09-04-2011, 09:10 AM
Or as stupid as your post? Or your stereotype of gun owners? Not our fault there are too many moving parts on a zip gun for you to fathom.

he didn't stereotype, he posited an alternative to a previous stereotype.

Gunny
09-04-2011, 09:11 AM
I love listening to him, its better than listening to a Chris Rock comedy cd and as good a fairy tale as any Mother Goose could ever come up with.

No more comical than an Obama address. We used to have a saying in the Corps about recruiters that is completely applicable to Herr Obama: if his lips are moving, he's lying. Just watching his gyrations tap dancing around giving any real meaningful answer is a hoot.

KartRacerBoy
09-04-2011, 09:14 AM

So one stereotype you agree with but another you dislike. They are both stereotypes. RSR makes a guess about this kid based on his college. In another thread I make a guess about police motives in the arrests of 8 of 9 people based on their race. You like one guess (liberal idiot kid) apparently.

red states rule
09-04-2011, 09:14 AM
No more comical than an Obama address. We used to have a saying in the Corps about recruiters that is completely applicable to Herr Obama: if his lips are moving, he's lying. Just watching his gyrations tap dancing around giving any real meaningful answer is a hoot.

Now you did it Gunny. You will be tagged a racist for that post by the boards resident race baiters
OCA and Kart

Tap dancing? Wow, you are as bad as the KKK :laugh2:

fj1200
09-04-2011, 09:22 AM
:facepalm:

Gunny
09-04-2011, 09:31 AM
he didn't stereotype, he posited an alternative to a previous stereotype.

Still a stereotype regardless the alternative words you choose to replace it with.

Gunny
09-04-2011, 09:34 AM
So one stereotype you agree with but another you dislike. They are both stereotypes. RSR makes a guess about this kid based on his college. In another thread I make a guess about police motives in the arrests of 8 of 9 people based on their race. You like one guess (liberal idiot kid) apparently.

I actually do not care for stereotypes whether or not I agree with the position. I would call the kid an idiot by his own actions. No guesswork required.

Gunny
09-04-2011, 09:35 AM
Now you did it Gunny. You will be tagged a racist for that post by the boards resident race baiters
OCA and Kart

Tap dancing? Wow, you are as bad as the KKK :laugh2:

Nah. I'm attacking only his white half. ;)

fj1200
09-04-2011, 09:35 AM
Still a stereotype regardless the alternative words you choose to replace it with.

Do you understand his point? Can't you recognize that you liked one stereotype but dislike another ONLY because of your own internal biases?

red states rule
09-04-2011, 09:37 AM
Nah. I'm attacking only his white half. ;)

Reminds me of the Al Sharpton/Jesse Jackson Omlette

You take three eggs, seperate the yolks, and beat only the whites

Gunny
09-04-2011, 09:39 AM
Do you understand his point? Can't you recognize that you liked one stereotype but dislike another ONLY because of your own internal biases?

I responded to his post. His point has nothing to do with what I posted as I never said I "liked" anything. That position was assumed for me.

Gunny
09-04-2011, 09:40 AM

fj1200
09-04-2011, 09:50 AM
I responded to his post. His point has nothing to do with what I posted as I never said I "liked" anything. That position was assumed for me.

He asked a question, you didn't answer it. There's plenty of evidence he's a lib, idiot kid, not so much that he's an NRA wannabe.

chloe
09-04-2011, 09:54 AM
He asked a question, you didn't answer it. There's plenty of evidence he's a lib, idiot kid, not so much that he's an NRA wannabe.

He's an idiot who thinks its a novelty to take a vacation there. Hey maybe instead of going to the zoo and having a BBQ this weekend a group of us can go to guatemala have a pig roast and feed those poor village kids.;)

Gunny
09-04-2011, 09:55 AM

If he's a liberal idiot, that's his problem. MY problem is people trying to play word games for no real reason.

I commented on a stereotype made by another poster. Nothing more. I did NOT comment on the liberal idiot, nor anyone calling him one. It was them assumed I was somehow playing favorites with stereotypes.

If the whole lesson here is that I have an opinion and agree with some things and not others all I can say is ... Duh.

However, I'm not going to sit here and defend a position I have not to this point taken.

KartRacerBoy
09-04-2011, 10:52 AM
He's an idiot who thinks its a novelty to take a vacation there. Hey maybe instead of going to the zoo and having a BBQ this weekend a group of us can go to guatemala have a pig roast and feed those poor village kids.;)

I think that's called the preace corp. :laugh:

KartRacerBoy
09-04-2011, 10:55 AM
If he's a liberal idiot, that's his problem. MY problem is people trying to play word games for no real reason.

I commented on a stereotype made by another poster. Nothing more. I did NOT comment on the liberal idiot, nor anyone calling him one. It was them assumed I was somehow playing favorites with stereotypes.

If the whole lesson here is that I have an opinion and agree with some things and not others all I can say is ... Duh.

However, I'm not going to sit here and defend a position I have not to this point taken.

And MY point was that you only commented on my stereotype on the NRA but ignored the liberal one, as fj noted. You may hate stereotypes but you some more than others. fj simply is reaffirming what I said; you pretend to be unbiased but you're not. But you feel the need to PRETEND to be unbiased.

red states rule
09-04-2011, 10:55 AM
I think that's called the preace corp. :laugh:

Or he could have become a Navy Corpseman

or traveled all 57 states and did did volunteer work

KartRacerBoy
09-04-2011, 11:01 AM

And you wonder why folks like me think you're racist? Really?

You apparently think Jackson/Sharpton are racist, so you MATCH it with crap like that? That makes you LESS racist? :rolleyes:

red states rule
09-04-2011, 11:04 AM
And you wonder why folks like me think you're racist? Really?

I have been here for about 4 years and you are the only think skinned liberal who has called me a racist

OCA has to, but he is just the boards resident troll

Again, in your wolrd anyone who opposes Obama and his polcies are racists. That is the only possible reason since Obama is the smartest guy in the room

Gaffer
09-04-2011, 11:07 AM
I have been here for about 4 years and you are the only think skinned liberal who has called me a racist

Again, in your wolrd anyone who opposes Obama and his polcies are racists. That is the only possible reason since Obama is the smartest guy in the room

Only when there's no one else in the room.

red states rule
09-04-2011, 11:09 AM
Only when there's no one else in the room.

Even when Obama was talking to 6th graders (and had to use a teleprompter) he was not the smartest guy in the room

OOPS, Kart will call me a racist for that post as well :laugh2:

KartRacerBoy
09-04-2011, 11:10 AM

Really? Then I've got to start exorciating myself. I actually dislike Obamacare. I dislike several of his other polcies/decisions. I dislike his lack of leadership.

Holy crap! I'm a racist pig like RSR!

Gaffer
09-04-2011, 11:11 AM
Even when Obama was talking to 6th graders (and had to use a teleprompter) he was not the smartest guy in the room

OOPS, Kart will call me a racist for that post as well :laugh2:

Mine as well. Accusing him of not being smart is racist to a lib.

red states rule
09-04-2011, 11:13 AM
Mine as well. Accusing him of not being smart is racist to a lib.

Damn Gaffer, we may have to deal with the Justice Brothers now that we have been exposed as "racists"

<IFRAME height=345 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0F9wdeWarQQ" frameBorder=0 width=420 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

Gunny
09-04-2011, 03:09 PM
And MY point was that you only commented on my stereotype on the NRA but ignored the liberal one, as fj noted. You may hate stereotypes but you some more than others. fj simply is reaffirming what I said; you pretend to be unbiased but you're not. But you feel the need to PRETEND to be unbiased.

That's a point? That you don't get to dictate what I comment on?

FJ did nothing but say "stereotype" using different words. He affirmed nothing but the word "stereotype".

How did I claim to be unbiased? I think I made my thoughts on your stupid, pantywaist stereotype of gun owners clear.

What you can't get past is you assumed a position for me and tried to go on the attack against something that wasn't said, counselor. And you've sputtered your way all over the dance floor around that fact since. Methinks you self-proclaimed, "smarter than the average bear" types need to stick to your day jobs and quit trying to play semantics with your betters.

sundaydriver
09-04-2011, 04:29 PM
In college I went on a vacation only to end up in election violence after a bombing attempt on the island president. Barricades of burning tires, gunshots, and machete murders. That is when I learned to pay more attention to world news.

DragonStryk72
09-04-2011, 10:49 PM

First off, he never once mentions "finding himself". He just thought it would be a sick vacation. Now, i don't think this states his right/left leanings, but think about this for a moment RSR: He grew up in LA his whole life, and he's likely getting his first view of what real tyranny is, as opposed to what many on the extreme left like to think of it as. As well, I highly doubt that he's a huge proponent for gun control given his current situation.

Crazy? Most assuredly. but not necessarily a lib.

J.T
09-04-2011, 11:00 PM
Good kid. Most Americans instead join the IDF so they can terrorize and oppress civilians in Occupied Palestine. Good to see an American fighting on the right side for a change :clap:

J.T
09-04-2011, 11:01 PM
The fact he went to a war zone to find himself tells me ihe is a nutty lib.

*glances at our all-volunteer military* :beer:

red states rule
09-05-2011, 04:44 AM
In college I went on a vacation only to end up in election violence after a bombing attempt on the island president. Barricades of burning tires, gunshots, and machete murders. That is when I learned to pay more attention to world news.

For a minute I thought you went to the Dem convention in Chicago in 1968 :laugh2:

ConHog
09-05-2011, 03:09 PM
*glances at our all-volunteer military* :beer:

Way to take a shot at our military members you piece of shit.

J.T
09-05-2011, 03:17 PM
Way to take a shot at our military members you piece of shit.

RSR's the one calling them nutty