PDA

View Full Version : Is GOP race down to Romney vs. Perry?

gabosaurus
09-08-2011, 05:44 PM
My husband reads a lot of conservative web sites and commentary. He emailed me during lunch to say the consensus was that, for all practical purposes, the campaigns of Huntsman and Bachmann were dead in the water.
Since I don't keep up with GOP politics, I would like to have the honest opinions of DP conservatives. Is it now a two-man race, or do you believe the others still have a chance.

Thunderknuckles
09-08-2011, 05:50 PM
As it stands at this moment, the answer is yes. The only question is whether or not someone can dig up some really bad dirt on Perry to give another candidate an opening. Romney has already been vetted from his last election bid so I doubt anything new will surface on him.

09-08-2011, 10:34 PM
in 2008, the consensus was that Rudy Guiliani or Hillary Clinton would be our next President.

There is alot of time between now and the Primaries.

Monkeybone
09-09-2011, 07:27 AM
My husband reads a lot of conservative web sites and commentary. He emailed me during lunch to say the consensus was that, for all practical purposes, the campaigns of Huntsman and Bachmann were dead in the water.
Since I don't keep up with GOP politics, I would like to have the honest opinions of DP conservatives. Is it now a two-man race, or do you believe the others still have a chance. It was like last time with McCain, media picks people to focus on and then everyone thinks that it is them, even when others are liked more.

Noir
09-09-2011, 08:47 AM
Romney is the Mormon, right?
If so I'd think it somewhat unsettling that a man who was a member of an officially racist organization while an adult could take such an office.

Trigg
09-09-2011, 09:40 AM
Romney is the Mormon, right?
If so I'd think it somewhat unsettling that a man who was a member of an officially racist organization while an adult could take such an office.

Wow, that's quite the accusation. Who labels the Mormon church as racist?????

Although I think it's kind of a kooky religion, they are a good group of people.

Hubby was in Utah last year and he said the people were the nicest he's ever met and Salt Lake City is clean with amazing public transportation, not like other big US cities at all.

Noir
09-09-2011, 10:15 AM
Wow, that's quite the accusation. Who labels the Mormon church as racist?????

Although I think it's kind of a kooky religion, they are a good group of people.

Hubby was in Utah last year and he said the people were the nicest he's ever met and Salt Lake City is clean with amazing public transportation, not like other big US cities at all.

My knowledge is rustler than it was, but from what I remember it's in their holy books that blacks bare the 'Mark of Cain' with their dark skin And flattened noses etc. The church was unwaving on this and there are still positions that blacks can not hold.

The "official" policy changed in 1976 IIRC, when god "revealed" that blacks were not a sub-species to whites. Just in time for some anti-discrimination bill that was being passed at the time. Anyway I will be looking inti the Mormon church again to give more detailed answers and questions if true that Romeny will be a likey Presidetal candidate.

Trigg
09-09-2011, 10:22 AM
My knowledge is rustler than it was, but from what I remember it's in their holy books that blacks bare the 'Mark of Cain' with their dark skin And flattened noses etc. The church was unwaving on this and there are still positions that blacks can not hold.

The "official" policy changed in 1976 IIRC, when god "revealed" that blacks were not a sub-species to whites. Just in time for some anti-discrimination bill that was being passed at the time. Anyway I will be looking inti the Mormon church again to give more detailed answers and questions if true that Romeny will be a likey Presidetal candidate.

Not exactly a new article, http://www.nctimes.com/lifestyles/faith-and-values/article_3948a1c2-4dfd-5842-91a0-28c5de59d0a8.html, but it does address your racism claim.

My problem with both Romney and Perry is their stance on illegal immigration. Both seem to be pro-amnesty and I'm sure both would vote yes on the DREAM act.

I think both Romney and Perry could help fix the economy, Romney moreso than Perry.

Abbey Marie
09-09-2011, 10:34 AM
It's probably too early to tell.

So far, I'm not seeing much to like in Huntsman.

09-09-2011, 11:19 AM

Blacks were never considered a subspecies to whites.

For none of these iniquities come of the Lord; for he doeth that which is good among the children of men; and he doeth nothing save it be plain unto the children of men; and he inviteth them all to come unto him and partake of his goodness; and he denieth none that come unto him, black and white, bond and free, male and female; and he remembereth the heathen; and all are alike unto God, both Jew and Gentile. (2 Nephi 26:33)

I'd definitely recommend looking into it more. Your information isn't correct.

09-09-2011, 11:21 AM
It's probably too early to tell.

So far, I'm not seeing much to like in Huntsman.

I like the man personally. I like the fact that he isnt afraid to take the positions he is taking even though they are not popular and quite frankly wrong for the country.

He does seem alittle arrogant to me. Shame his Father wouldnt run. He is probably one of the best men I know of.

Noir
09-09-2011, 11:51 AM
Blacks were never considered a subspecies to whites.

I'd definitely recommend looking into it more. Your information isn't correct.

They were considered "cursed" by god, and representatives of Satan on earth.

And a lil quote from Joesph Smith "Had I anything to do with the negro, I would confine them by strict law to their own species, and put them on a national equalization" (Joseph Fielding Smith, Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith)

Seems the founder atleast though of blacks as a different speices, and if you do a quick google you'll find president after president of the church saying how they are cursed, inferior, paying for siding with Satan etc.

KartRacerBoy
09-09-2011, 01:33 PM

Herman Cain? :laugh:

Noir
09-09-2011, 03:09 PM
Herman Cain? :laugh:

I fear this joke has gone over my head!

Trigg
09-10-2011, 07:46 AM
I fear this joke has gone over my head!

black republican running for president.

suffice it to say the Mormon church is not considered a racist organization, they allow all races to join and hold positions. What ever position the church used to hold (40/50 yrs ago) should not dictate whether or not you vote for someone.

I know people who will not vote for him based on his religion, simply because they view it as not a real religion. But that isn't strange my mother talks about people having a huge problem with Kennedy because he was Catholic.

I'm looking for someone who will fix this damn economy, stop illegal immigration as much as possible and get out government dept under control.

Noir
09-10-2011, 09:05 AM
black republican running for president.

suffice it to say the Mormon church is not considered a racist organization, they allow all races to join and hold positions. What ever position the church used to hold (40/50 yrs ago) should not dictate whether or not you vote for someone.

I know people who will not vote for him based on his religion, simply because they view it as not a real religion. But that isn't strange my mother talks about people having a huge problem with Kennedy because he was Catholic.

I'm looking for someone who will fix this damn economy, stop illegal immigration as much as possible and get out government dept under control.

Oh I see, how wonderfull lol.

As for the Mormons. They undoubtably were a racist org. And Romney supported them, and was 30 years old while it was still a racist org. I personally hold him to account for that, because it shows he's willing to support a fundamentally sick principle, because of his 'faith' and where it not for political and social pressure (sorry, I mean to say 'god reveling the truth') and the Org not changed it's mind on race then presumably he would still be a Mormon, support it and it's racist policies.

Trigg
09-10-2011, 11:28 AM
Oh I see, how wonderfull lol.

As for the Mormons. They undoubtably were a racist org. And Romney supported them, and was 30 years old while it was still a racist org. I personally hold him to account for that, because it shows he's willing to support a fundamentally sick principle, because of his 'faith' and where it not for political and social pressure (sorry, I mean to say 'god reveling the truth') and the Org not changed it's mind on race then presumably he would still be a Mormon, support it and it's racist policies.

to each his own.

I know plenty of people who won't vote for him because he's Mormon and they don't even care about the church's past principles.

I liked him the last go around, wish I could trust him on illegal immigration, I feel Perry is very pro-illegal. I think they'd both do well with the economy and gov. spending.

beanerboy
09-10-2011, 03:10 PM
I'd imagine that the center/right republicans are HOPING that Romney gets the nod, even with his Romneycare and Mormon baggage. Perry might be red meat for the teabaggers, but he scares the middle, and that is where elections are won or lost.

J.T
09-10-2011, 05:51 PM
Based on the current field, the GOP seems intent on giving Obama four more years. If this race to the most insane fringes of the right continues, nobody who can win the Republican primaries stands a chance in the general election.

Noir
09-10-2011, 06:29 PM
Out of interest, do any of the runners so far represent (in as much as they can) the tea party?

J.T
09-10-2011, 07:07 PM
Out of interest, do any of the runners so far represent (in as much as they can) the tea party?

There's no such thing as the 'tea party'. Every single teabagger candidate ran as a Republican. The teabaggers are nothing more or less than the same old Republican base we've seen before.

The main difference between then and now, I've been saying, is that the GOP base's backlash didn't have a catchy name when Clinton was president. But today, it does: the Tea Party.
And now there's even more proof that the terms "Tea Party movement" and "Republican Party base" are interchangeable. A new poll conducted for NBC News and the Wall Street Journal finds that 27 percent of voters describe themselves as Tea Party supporters. And what do we know about the people that make up that 27 percent? Here's how NBC's First Read (http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2010/09/29/5200324-first-thoughts-what-change-do-voters-want) put it:

These folks, it turns out, are more conservative and bigger watchers of FOX News than your typical Republican. Per [Bill] McInturff, Tea Party members are simply re-branded conservative GOP primary voters -- not something completely new. “These are conservative Republicans who watch FOX, and who are very ticked off,” he said.

Bill McInturff, by the way, is a longtime Republican pollster.
http://www.salon.com/news/politics/war_room/2010/09/29/tea_party_gop_base

Gaffer
09-10-2011, 07:21 PM
Out of interest, do any of the runners so far represent (in as much as they can) the tea party? Bachmann and Cain both have support from the Tea Party. And the Tea Party is not a party or political organization. It's a movement of like minded folks that want to curtail the govt. Romeny and Perry are not Tea Party material. If they are selected, by the media and that's all I have to vote for then I will hold my nose and do it. Anything but the zero. Zero is toast no matter who the repub nominee is.

J.T
09-10-2011, 07:26 PM
It's not even a movement. It's just a demographic- semi-racist old white conservatives. It's always been there and it's been voting Republican for a long time, just like it did in 2008 and is prepared to do in 2012.

Gaffer
09-10-2011, 07:54 PM
It's not even a movement. It's just a demographic- semi-racist old white conservatives. It's always been there and it's been voting Republican for a long time, just like it did in 2008 and is prepared to do in 2012.

And as usual you don't even know what your talking about.

J.T
09-10-2011, 08:16 PM
These folks, it turns out, are more conservative and bigger watchers of FOX News than your typical Republican. Per [Bill] McInturff, Tea Party members are simply re-branded conservative GOP primary voters -- not something completely new. “These are conservative Republicans who watch FOX, and who are very ticked off,” he said.
Bill McInturff, by the way, is a longtime Republican pollster.

http://www.salon.com/news/politics/war_room/2010/09/29/tea_party_gop_base

Noir
09-10-2011, 08:40 PM
Yar i get that its not a party guys lol, thus the "(in as much as they can)"

But either way its someone amusing the JT would point to it as a 'semi-racist democrapic' when Cain, being black, has its support (such as it is)

Gaffer
09-10-2011, 09:07 PM
Yar i get that its not a party guys lol, thus the "(in as much as they can)"

But either way its someone amusing the JT would point to it as a 'semi-racist democrapic' when Cain, being black, has its support (such as it is)

Yep, and funny because Cain is on top of my list of candidates I want to see run against zero. How racist of me. And sexist because Bachmann is the other one I favor.

beanerboy
09-10-2011, 11:19 PM
my guess is, democrats are salivating at anyone other than Romney. it's not big news that the right has hated Obama since day one. it's not news at all that you can count on one hand the votes Obama will get from conservatives. the election will be won in the middle. folks in the center are not frightened of Romney - he WAS governor of Massachusetts, after all, but the rest of the field, with the possible exception of Huntsman, all look lovely to democrats, because they all look scary to the middle.

Gunny
09-11-2011, 07:04 AM
As it stands at this moment, the answer is yes. The only question is whether or not someone can dig up some really bad dirt on Perry to give another candidate an opening. Romney has already been vetted from his last election bid so I doubt anything new will surface on him.

They already went after Perry in TX. Rumor had it he's got gay boyfriends, if you're wondering just how low the lefties stooped. Nothing came of it. Perry's biggest problem is going to be his association with TEA people and whatever comment he made about secession. The lefties went bananas over that one.

Gunny
09-11-2011, 07:10 AM
my guess is, democrats are salivating at anyone other than Romney. it's not big news that the right has hated Obama since day one. it's not news at all that you can count on one hand the votes Obama will get from conservatives. the election will be won in the middle. folks in the center are not frightened of Romney - he WAS governor of Massachusetts, after all, but the rest of the field, with the possible exception of Huntsman, all look lovely to democrats, because they all look scary to the middle.

Perry's been the Governor of TX since Bush was elected as President. He's got a 10 year track record the left can and will try to dissect. I don't see Romney being any more credible than Perry, and if you believe the middle is going to decide the election, Perry is the more viable candidate, IMO. Romney's more old school conservative than Perry is.

beanerboy
09-11-2011, 09:55 PM
Perry's been the Governor of TX since Bush was elected as President. He's got a 10 year track record the left can and will try to dissect. I don't see Romney being any more credible than Perry, and if you believe the middle is going to decide the election, Perry is the more viable candidate, IMO. Romney's more old school conservative than Perry is.

do you honestly think that the middle WON'T decide the election? And do you think that seniors - from any side of the political bell curve - are going to vote for a guy who says that SS is a Ponzi scheme???

Gaffer
09-11-2011, 10:17 PM
do you honestly think that the middle WON'T decide the election? And do you think that seniors - from any side of the political bell curve - are going to vote for a guy who says that SS is a Ponzi scheme???

It's one thing Perry is right about. SS is a ponzi scheme. And Perry and Romney are being hyped by the media same as they did mccain. They are being called the front runners when there is no such thing.

beanerboy
09-12-2011, 03:54 PM
It's one thing Perry is right about. SS is a ponzi scheme. And Perry and Romney are being hyped by the media same as they did mccain. They are being called the front runners when there is no such thing.

you didn't even bother to answer my questions.

Gaffer
09-12-2011, 06:13 PM
you didn't even bother to answer my questions.

I'm a senior and I would vote for a guy that says SS is a ponzi scheme. How about you mister rich and retired?

If Perry gets the nod I'll vote for him. And it's the middle that always decides elections. That's why all the politicians go out and do their dance and sing their songs to the middle.

beanerboy
09-12-2011, 06:26 PM
I'm a senior and I would vote for a guy that says SS is a ponzi scheme. How about you mister rich and retired?

If Perry gets the nod I'll vote for him. And it's the middle that always decides elections. That's why all the politicians go out and do their dance and sing their songs to the middle.

exactly... which is why the R's have danced away from the Ryan budget. senior.... most seniors in any case, don't want politicians messing with SS.... I don't care whether it's Ryan or Perry. It's a losing hand, nationally. And I start collecting SS in seven months.... pretty cool. If they diminish my payment in a decade, I could really give a shit. For me, it's just mad money to buy tequila.

Nukeman
09-12-2011, 06:30 PM
Wait is beanerboy, manfrommain!?!?!?!?!? What a douche bag!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sounds just like him, condescending as ever and a total joke...

Gaffer
09-12-2011, 06:53 PM
Wait is beanerboy, manfrommain!?!?!?!?!? What a douche bag!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sounds just like him, condescending as ever and a total joke...

You noticed that too. All the bullshit sure has a familiar ring to it.

Nukeman
09-12-2011, 06:56 PM
You noticed that too. All the bullshit sure has a familiar ring to it.Heck I only needed to read 4 of his post to get that... He is such an ass.. Would love to meet him in person.... see what a tough guy he is with his name calling and attitude!!!

beanerboy
09-12-2011, 07:25 PM
Heck I only needed to read 4 of his post to get that... He is such an ass.. Would love to meet him in person.... see what a tough guy he is with his name calling and attitude!!!

sadly, you never will get the opportunity.

Nukeman
09-12-2011, 07:28 PM
sadly, you never will get the opportunity.Really its a good thing for you!!!

Gaffer
09-12-2011, 07:39 PM
sadly, you never will get the opportunity.

well virgil you do have a distinct style that always shows itself in your posts. I guess it's the liberal in you. And we all know you do like to hide.

beanerboy
09-12-2011, 08:16 PM
Really its a good thing for you!!!

that I would never have to waste a nanosecond of my life dealing with a worthless turd like you? abso-fucking-lutely.

Life is too short to spend any time doing anything that doesn't make you happy.

fj1200
09-12-2011, 09:49 PM
that I would never have to waste a nanosecond of my life dealing with a worthless turd like you? abso-fucking-lutely.

So that's why you're spending time on a message board responding... Your "wealth" speaks for itself I guess.

red states rule
09-13-2011, 04:15 AM

http://media.townhall.com/Townhall/Car/b/lb0912cd20110912122304.jpg

red states rule
09-13-2011, 04:19 AM

SS is a Ponzi scheme and it is going broke and draging the US economy with it

Here is the definition of a Ponzi scheme and SS fits the description

A Ponzi scheme is a fraudulent (http://www.debatepolicy.com/wiki/Fraud) investment (http://www.debatepolicy.com/wiki/Investment) operation that pays returns to separate investors, not from any actual profit earned by the organization, but from their own money or money paid by subsequent investors. The Ponzi scheme usually entices new investors by offering returns other investments cannot guarantee, in the form of short-term returns that are either abnormally high or unusually consistent. The perpetuation of the returns that a Ponzi scheme advertises and pays requires an ever-increasing flow of money from investors to keep the scheme going.

The system is destined to collapse because the earnings, if any, are less than the payments to investors. Usually, the scheme is interrupted by legal authorities before it collapses because a Ponzi scheme is suspected or because the promoter is selling unregistered securities (http://www.debatepolicy.com/wiki/Securities). As more investors become involved, the likelihood of the scheme coming to the attention of authorities increases.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Ponzi

red states rule
09-14-2011, 02:39 AM
exactly... which is why the R's have danced away from the Ryan budget. senior.... most seniors in any case, don't want politicians messing with SS.... I don't care whether it's Ryan or Perry. It's a losing hand, nationally. And I start collecting SS in seven months.... pretty cool. If they diminish my payment in a decade, I could really give a shit. For me, it's just mad money to buy tequila.

Talk about a losing hand - how about what happened last night in NY. You know that "safe Dem seat" of Weiner's?

Seems like Obama is dragging the Dem party down with him

red states rule
09-14-2011, 03:46 AM
http://media.townhall.com/Townhall/Car/b/lb0914cd20110913081633.jpg

Nukeman
09-14-2011, 07:49 AM

Life is too short to spend any time doing anything that doesn't make you happy.Wow aren't we the witty one, project much!?!?!? I, unlike you am still a productive member of society in the US. You on the other hand abandoned your country to go live is shit hole country just soyour few dollars you have saved go further, We will see how you do when the dollar tanks........

About all it would take is a nanosecond to deal with you, so see it wouldnt even be a waste of time for you!!! Fucking jerkoff!!!!!!!!

Virgil the internet tough guy, who is really just a wuss who hides behind his keyboard!!!!

beanerboy
09-14-2011, 08:39 AM
Wow aren't we the witty one, project much!?!?!? I, unlike you am still a productive member of society in the US. You on the other hand abandoned your country to go live is shit hole country just soyour few dollars you have saved go further, We will see how you do when the dollar tanks........

About all it would take is a nanosecond to deal with you, so see it wouldnt even be a waste of time for you!!! Fucking jerkoff!!!!!!!!

Virgil the internet tough guy, who is really just a wuss who hides behind his keyboard!!!!

your e-muscles are bulging. i AM impressed.

The fact that you are of an age and economic circumstance that requires you to still toil away in the marketplace is not MY fault or any indication of MY failings in any way. Keep on punching the clock for as long as you must, but it does you no good to disparage those of us who have successfully escaped the gerbil wheel. :laugh:

red states rule
09-15-2011, 02:24 AM
Talk about a losing hand - how about what happened last night in NY. You know that "safe Dem seat" of Weiner's?

Seems like Obama is dragging the Dem party down with him

The crickets are chirping loud tonight :laugh2: