PDA

View Full Version : A Loss Amongst Losses

Kathianne
05-13-2007, 04:39 PM
I remember the post from Blackfive on 'Someone you should know.' I may have posted it on the old site. This is such sad news, links at site:

http://www.blackfive.net/main/2007/05/a_lion_falls_go.html#comments

The Fallen Lion - Godspeed Major Doug Zembiec
Posted By Blackfive

"Your son was killed in action today. Despite intense enemy machine gun and rocket propelled grenade fire, your son fought like a lion. He remained in his fighting position until all his wounded comrades could be evacuated from the rooftop they were defending. It was during his courageous defense of his comrades that Aaron was hit by enemy fire.... With the exception of the Marines on Security, every man in the company attended the service. Aaron was respected and admired by every Marine in his company. His death brought tears to my eyes, tears that fell in front of my Marines. I am unashamed of that fact."
- Douglas Zembiec, Captain, U.S. Marine Corps, writing to the mother of Aaron C. Austin, included in Operation Homecoming by Andrew Carroll

Doug Zembiec, Major in the USMC, was known at the "Unapologetic Warrior". We featured him here as Someone You Should Know almost three years ago (must read). In fact, he was among the few that I included when I began that index - he is very "Mattis-like" or, maybe, General Mattis is very "Zembiec-like".

Just a few months before, then Captain, Zembiec led Echo Company into Fallujah. We caught that as part of the Showdown series about Fallujah (link here). Zembiec was leading his unit into combat where most of his men (53) had been wounded, with some wounded two or three times and still in the fight. He talks about his Navy Hospital Corpsmen that kept his men alive (link here).
Dougzembiec
Zembiec Family Photo - Captain Doug Zembiec, April 2004

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/4166/dougzembieclj2.jpg

It is with tears and a heavy heart that I inform you that Major Doug Zembiec was killed this week. We have lost a true lion, a warrior without peer, a Marine among Marines...from his Bronze Star with Combat Distinguishing Device:

"On two occasions, Captain Zembiec coordinated the actions of the Marines from atop a tank while rocket-propelled grenades and enemy small arms fire impacted all around him. Wherever the battle raged with intensity, Zembiec could be found inspiring Marines to aggressively repel the enemy's determined assault..."

He was already wounded badly before he jumped on that tank. And from the Comments of that long-ago post here, Marines spoke up about Doug:

I served with Capt Zembiec. I was a Scout/Sniper that was with him and Echo Company. I was awarded the Silver Star for my actions in Fallujah. I would Die for this man. I only wish people could see what this man did for his Marines. - Ethan Place

I was one of his platoon commanders at the time, and I know that he earned our respect and admiration. Our Marines couldn't imagine following a different company commander. Major Zembiec will always be an inspiration to me, no matter what I am doing. - Edward Solis

And from members of his unit:

There is no one better to go to war with - Sergeant Major William S. Skiles (Echo Company First Sergeant in 2004)

The love of his Marines and the Corps far surpasses anyone else I know. I don't think there are enough words to describe him as an individual. - Captain Darryl Ayers

He's everything you want in a leader: He'll listen to you, take care of you and back you up, but when you need it, he'll put a boot your... - Sergeant Casey Olson

He's not like some of these other officers: He leads from the front, not the rear. - Lance Corporal Jacob Atkinson

Doug is the prototypical modern infantry officer. He's also not that much different than the officers who led the Spartans into combat... - LtCol Joseph Clearfield

Right now, the Zembiecs are mourning a heavy, heavy loss. Doug's wife, Pam, and 1-year old daughter, Fallyn Justice, are with family members now.

I'll post more information as it comes in. I've struggled with how much to share at this point. I'll let you know if we can help in some small way. One thing for certain, Doug Zembiec would want you to celebrate his life, his time with his family and his time on this Earth as a Marine.

“Day by day, fix your eyes upon the greatness of Athens, until you become filled with the love of her; and when you are impressed by the spectacle of her glory, reflect that this empire has been acquired by men who knew their duty and had the courage to do it.” - Thucydides, The Funeral Speech for Pericles

Godspeed, Major Zembiec, godspeed...

Update 05-12-07: Wake, Funeral and Burial info is below...
Tuesday 05/15/2007 - wake at Taylor Funeral Home in Annapolis, MD. Two sessions 1400-1600 and 1800-2000.
Wednesday 05/16/2007 - funeral service at the UMA-Annapolis Chapel 0900-1100 followed by a procession to Arlington National Cemetary for burial.
The Patriot Guard/Armed Forces Motorcyle Club will lead the procession to take Douglas home.

Posted by Blackfive on May 11, 2007

gabosaurus
05-13-2007, 10:59 PM
More blood on Bush's hands. Not that he cares, of course.

Sitarro
05-14-2007, 01:38 AM

You are an ass. It's nice to know that being a Psych major, you are the one that will never be able to figure out how screwed up you are. You will have to live with the fact that you are more nuts than any of the crazies you will pretend to help, it must suck living in that pointy little head of yours.:fu:

Abbey Marie
05-14-2007, 01:49 AM
I a humbled by the sacrifices these soldiers make for us. We are not really worthy. God bless you, Douglas Zembiec.

Fountainhead
05-14-2007, 02:54 AM
You are an ass. It's nice to know that being a Psych major, you are the one that will never be able to figure out how screwed up you are. You will have to live with the fact that you are more nuts than any of the crazies you will pretend to help, it must suck living in that pointy little head of yours.:fu:

So he/she is a Psych major !

You know that the ONLY DIFFERENCE between the Psych patients and the Psych professionals ... is who holds the keys to the cells

Otherwise they are indistinguishable

Gaffer
05-14-2007, 07:39 AM

Really sucks to be you.

gabosaurus
05-15-2007, 10:37 PM
It sucks worse to die and have your superiors not give a crap.
We can praise the fallen in song and rhetoric, give them military funerals and offer support and comfort for their bereaved relatives.
Truth is, they are still dead. Send to die in an illegal war of aggression.

Kathianne
05-15-2007, 10:47 PM
It sucks worse to die and have your superiors not give a crap.
We can praise the fallen in song and rhetoric, give them military funerals and offer support and comfort for their bereaved relatives.
Truth is, they are still dead. Send to die in an illegal war of aggression.Seriously, you are so lost, from the left that you are the epitome of such. Truly, it sucks to be you, pity is that you don't understand it.