PDA

View Full Version : "right" to paid sick days...(sigh)

darin
09-13-2011, 10:53 AM
Sometimes I think - hell, MOST always I think Liberals will not be happy until everyone in the country gets $50,000/year free 'salary' as a 'right to an income'. The folks in Seattle have mandated every business within the city offer paid sick leave to its employees. Seems Seattleites won't be happy, won't stop f'ing with the lives of its citizens until every business leaves the city. Couple crap like this with Seattle's war on cars, and you have a recipe for disaster. The problem is, the largest part of the population is foolish, as folks who propose and pass these types of laws keep re-electing them.

http://mynorthwest.com/11/544798/Seattle-passes-paid-sick-days-mandate

The Seattle City Council Monday passed an ordinance that will require all businesses in the city to give their workers paid days off.

The ordinance, which will go into effect one year after Mayor Mike McGinn signs it into law, will mandate companies with at least five workers provide five paid sick days a year to employees. The largest companies would have to offer up to nine days. Victims of domestic violence would also be entitled to sick days.

This ordinance is yet another step towards providing every person a life-boat for every possible life situation. This legislation removes the meaning of the word 'benefits' from an employer's lexicon. Nothing above 'pay' is a benefit - hell, ask most union thugs and even PAY should be a 'right' - regardless of amount of work done.

ConHog
09-13-2011, 11:22 AM
I have mixed feelings about this. One the one hand why is the government sticking its nose into such things? But on the other hand, you know there ARE a lot of businesses who simply need to take better care of their employees.

SassyLady
09-13-2011, 10:57 PM
I have mixed feelings about this. One the one hand why is the government sticking its nose into such things? But on the other hand, you know there ARE a lot of businesses who simply need to take better care of their employees.

Unfortunately, there will always be those who believe they are entitled to that time whether they are sick or not. They see it as just another five days of PTO. We have people in our organization that are never sick and we have those who are sick one day at a time .... just after they've accrued another 8 hours.

For the record, I'm against government mandating benefits.

ConHog
09-15-2011, 10:56 AM
Unfortunately, there will always be those who believe they are entitled to that time whether they are sick or not. They see it as just another five days of PTO. We have people in our organization that are never sick and we have those who are sick one day at a time .... just after they've accrued another 8 hours.

For the record, I'm against government mandating benefits.

Yes, I know what you mean. My brother is an officer in a pretty decent sized company . They offer sick pay to employees. So many days a year. If at the end of the year you haven't used all of your days, they buy them back from you at 30 minutes on the hour. Meaning if you used 4 of your 8 days through the year at the end of the year the company will give you an extra 2 days pay. Most of his employees appreciate the extra benefit and in fact end up being paid for 3 or 4 extra days at then end of every year. But some of them treat those 8 days as though they are entitled to 8 paid days off a year, and make sure they use every one of them, every year.

Trigg
09-15-2011, 01:44 PM
pain sick time/vacations are a perk that companies offer. They shouldn't be mandated by the gov., most companies offer them as a way to entice new hires.

Where I work I earn a certain number of hours every pay period. They are used for vacations, sick days, and holidays. If I don't have the hours saved I can't take a day off without being penalized, although I can choose not to use them for holidays since I have no choice but to take that day off.

ConHog
09-15-2011, 03:51 PM
I'm gonna disagree slightly, and here's why. When lower wage employees get sick and come to work anyway because they don't have sick days, that just increases the odds that others will get sick as well. Bringing down productivity AND spreading illness. And in a catch 22 it is usually the lowest paid employees, the ones least likely to be able to afford missing a day's pay who usually also don't have sick pay.)

So, is sick pay something that would benefit society? Possibly so, even though yes, some would abuse it.

Trigg
09-15-2011, 04:26 PM
I'm gonna disagree slightly, and here's why. When lower wage employees get sick and come to work anyway because they don't have sick days, that just increases the odds that others will get sick as well. Bringing down productivity AND spreading illness. And in a catch 22 it is usually the lowest paid employees, the ones least likely to be able to afford missing a day's pay who usually also don't have sick pay.)

So, is sick pay something that would benefit society? Possibly so, even though yes, some would abuse it.

Even McDonalds has paid sick time, so who are these low wage earners you're talking about?????

Like I said sick days are a perk that most employers offer.

http://www.aboutmcdonalds.com/mcd/careers/employee_benefits/balance_work_and_life.html

ConHog
09-15-2011, 04:42 PM
Even McDonalds has paid sick time, so who are these low wage earners you're talking about?????

Like I said sick days are a perk that most employers offer.

http://www.aboutmcdonalds.com/mcd/careers/employee_benefits/balance_work_and_life.html

Where in that does it say McDonalds restaurant workers receive paid sick days? That speaks of actual McDonalds corporate employees, not franchise employees.

Poke
09-15-2011, 06:15 PM
Victims of domestic violence would also be entitled to sick days.
First of all, let me express that I abhor violence, domestic or otherwise.
I don't understand why victims of domestic violence using sick days for being sick is any different than anybody else using sick days for being sick. It's not like your employer knows if you are calling in sick because your spouse gave you a black or if your spouse infected you with the flu.