01-20-2007, 08:41 PM
Tastes better than tap water.

True, in many areas it does.

Pale Rider
01-20-2007, 08:41 PM

Pale Rider
01-20-2007, 08:48 PM
On days when I feel a little under the weather after a night of drinking, if I don't have Dusani in the house, I'm a hurtin' M-F'r.

Insein
01-20-2007, 09:08 PM
I drink it cause my tap water is nasty. ITs also easier to just grab a bottle out of the fridge thats ice cold as opposed to wasting the tap till it gets semi-cold.

CockySOB
01-20-2007, 09:11 PM
Y'all do know that you can do your own flavored (and hyper-filtrated) waters at home, right? One of my former girlfriends was on the kick, and what she did was put about a shot of fruit juice in a 2-liter of water we'd run through our filter. The only one I cared for was the Juicy Juice mixed berry stuff. But I'm not that big on flavored water.

MtnBiker
01-20-2007, 09:11 PM
Should beverage companies be selling water for profit?

CockySOB
01-20-2007, 09:13 PM
Should beverage companies be selling water for profit?

If people are gullible enough to pay hard-earned money for it, I don't see why not.

MtnBiker
01-20-2007, 09:16 PM
If people are gullible enough to pay hard-earned money for it, I don't see why not.

Agreed.

But read this;

Published on Wednesday, October 12, 2005 by MinuteManMedia.org
Don't Be Duped by Bottled Water
by Patricia Lynn

In recent trips to my local grocery store, I have become increasingly aware of the volume of bottled water that people in my neighborhood buy. Almost an entire aisle is dedicated to it, and people are buying by the case. The phenomenon is a little odd. Boston’s tap water seems fine to me.

Recently, the head of the Massachusetts Water Resource Authority took the Pepsi challenge. He and a panel of tasters, including a local wine expert and a local beer brewer, did a taste test with Boston water, Pepsi’s Aquafina, and a few other bottled water brands. Not only did the entire panel agree that the five water samples tasted roughly the same, lab tests showed that there were no significant differences between the quality of Pepsi’s bottled water and tap water.

Greater Boston spends 1,364 times the cost of perfectly good public water for Aquafina, despite indistinguishable differences, and Bostonians are not alone. Similar patterns repeat themselves across the United States.

Other scientific studies show that bottled water is no safer than public water, and often less safe, sometimes with high concentrations of toxins like arsenic and mercury. Food and Drug Administration rules for bottled water quality are quite poor compared to Environmental Protection Agency rules for tap water. But if bottled water is not necessarily cleaner or safer than public water, why have bottled water sales doubled in the United States over the past decade? And why do one of six people in the United States only drink bottled water?

The industry, led by Pepsi, Nestlé, and Coke is trying to dupe us. Misleading advertising is fueling the explosive growth of this industry. According to the most recent statistics available, in 2002 bottled water corporations spent $93.8 million to portray their products as “pure,” “safe,” “clean,” “healthy” and superior to tap water.

They position bottled water as healthy, when in reality it threatens our health and our ecosystems, costs thousands of times what tap water costs, and undermines local democratic control over a common resource.

Water bottling, is a fast-growing $55 billion a year business. Corporations take water from underground springs and municipal sources without regard to scarcity or human rights, and are setting out to replace our public water with a high-priced, aggressively marketed product.

Increased demand for water worldwide is draining away our rivers, lakes, and other fresh water. Today, over 1 billion people around the world don’t have access to safe water to drink. Each year, more than 1 million children die of diseases caused by unsafe water. And as water scarcity grows, these numbers will rise. By 2025, two-thirds of the world’s people won’t have access to enough water, putting the lives of millions more people at risk.

Corporations view water as one of the great investment opportunities of the 21st century, and increasingly seek to control it. Water is already a $400 billion a year business. That’s 30 percent larger than the pharmaceutical industry. If transnational corporations control our water, they can decide who gets it—and who doesn’t.

Just like air, water is precious and sustains all life on earth. Access to clean, safe water is a fundamental human right. Decisions about a life-giving substance and a fundamental human right must not be left to corporate shareholders unaccountable to the public.

Corporations like Pepsi, Coke, and Nestlé are seeking to transform water into a commodity that can be sold for profit to the highest bidder. Instead of buying into this approach, people across the United States should be demanding that our public water systems are well maintained. Clean, safe, public water is worth fighting for.
http://www.commondreams.org/views05/1012-30.htm

See, water is being sold for a profit and will increasily be demonized for doing so.

MtnBiker
01-20-2007, 09:33 PM
and then there is this;

We all know how wasteful bottled water is, but now it's getting theological. We quote Martin Mittelstaedt of the Globe and Mail: Some churches are starting to urge congregants to boycott bottled water, citing ethical, theological and social justice reasons. Bottled water, they argue, is morally tainted and should be avoided. "Water is seen increasingly as a saleable commodity, [being used] to make a profit," said David Hallman, a United Church official, "as opposed to our perspective of it being an element of life and good for all creation." Mr. Hallman expressed concern that the bottled- water phenomenon is part of a broader trend toward the privatization of water distribution systems, and it was antipathy toward privatization, more than any other factor, that led church members in August to approve a boycott call. "Bottling and selling of water undermines in our perspective the use of a public good and public responsibility to provide water," he said. ::Globe and Mail and ::United Church of Canada

http://i.treehugger.com/files/th_images/water%20protest.jpg

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2006/09/the_ethics_of_b.php

retiredman
01-20-2007, 09:36 PM
I have water and ice from my refrigerator that is double filtered and it is absolutely awesome. I fill up a water bottle with that every morning and take it to work. I would not pay for bottled water.

MtnBiker
01-20-2007, 09:37 PM
I have water and ice from my refrigerator that is double filtered and it is absolutely awesome. I fill up a water bottle with that every morning and take it to work. I would not pay for bottled water.

That is quite sensible. :beer:

Bubbalicious
01-20-2007, 09:39 PM
and then there is this;

http://i.treehugger.com/files/th_images/water%20protest.jpg

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2006/09/the_ethics_of_b.php

Soooo? That makes you want to buy bottled water even more? Even if you agree with the silly hippies to at least some extent that it's wasteful and stupid and that drinkable water should be available to everyone?

Gaffer
01-20-2007, 09:40 PM
As long as there's a market for it they will sell it. All you need to do is rinse out a bottle and fill it. Put it in the fridge and your ready to go, just as maine said. You already have a wateer bill, why pay more for something you already have available.

MtnBiker
01-20-2007, 09:41 PM
Soooo? That makes you want to buy bottled water even more? Even if you agree with the silly hippies to at least some extent that it's wasteful and stupid and that drinkable water should be available to everyone?

Its a consumer product. Are other consumer products wastefull and silly?

As Maineman pointed out, it is quite easy to prepare bottle water for yourself, I agree.

retiredman
01-20-2007, 09:43 PM
As long as there's a market for it they will sell it. All you need to do is rinse out a bottle and fill it. Put it in the fridge and your ready to go, just as maine said. You already have a wateer bill, why pay more for something you already have available.

although I highly recommend some sort of filtration system...many municipal wate systems have quasi-funky tasting water straight from the tap.

Like I said, the water from my frige is filtered twice - I change both filters every six months and it is the best water I have ever tasted.... cold pure ... great ice....doesn't alter the taste of my scotch one iota.

Bubbalicious
01-20-2007, 09:44 PM
Its a consumer product. Are other consumer products wastefull and silly?

Oh, hellz yes! Practically all of them!

http://www.caferace.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/duck%20on%20bike%20with%20box.jpg

MtnBiker
01-20-2007, 09:46 PM
Oh, hellz yes! Practically all of them!

Then bottled water is no more silly than other consumer products.

Bubbalicious
01-20-2007, 09:49 PM
Then bottled water is no more silly than other consumer products.

Your point being?

Mr. P
01-20-2007, 09:49 PM
Why do people drink it?

Should it be a product sold for profit?

Is it healthier?

K, haven't read the thread past post #1..

I say anyone that buys bottled water is an IDIOT and deserves to have their money taken away for what amounts to plan ole tap water. :)

MtnBiker
01-20-2007, 09:50 PM
Your point being?

Its our privelge being in a capitialist society to purchase goods, even if they are silly.

MtnBiker
01-20-2007, 09:51 PM
K, haven't read the thread past post #1..

I say anyone that buys bottled water is an IDIOT and deserves to have their money taken away for what amounts to plan ole tap water. :)

Idiots or not, should they have the availbility to buy bottle water if they choose?

retiredman
01-20-2007, 09:51 PM
Its our privelge being in a capitialist society to purchase goods, even if they are silly.

think how many people bought Pet Rocks ;)

MtnBiker
01-20-2007, 09:52 PM
Good point!

Mr. P
01-20-2007, 09:57 PM
Idiots or not, should they have the availbility to buy bottle water if they choose?

Sure..a fool and their money will soon be parted. So enough fools and someone will bottle water. :)

MtnBiker
01-20-2007, 10:00 PM
Ok, it seems no one in the tread so far is opposed to the idea of bottled water being on the open market. Some may question it's need, that is understandable.

However for the opponets that are out there, what is their motivation?

Bubbalicious
01-20-2007, 10:01 PM
People don't need Pet Rocks to survive.

retiredman
01-20-2007, 10:03 PM
People don't need Pet Rocks to survive.

nor do they need bottled water to survive either.

Bubbalicious
01-20-2007, 10:05 PM
nor do they need bottled water to survive either.

They need water. And there are corporations that are trying to privatize all the fresh, drinkable water supplies so everyone will eventually have to pay for it. Google the Cochabamba Water War.

MtnBiker
01-20-2007, 10:10 PM
Should the USA consumer stop buying bottled water because Boliva sold water rights?

Bubbalicious
01-20-2007, 10:56 PM
Should the USA consumer stop buying bottled water because Boliva sold water rights?

Yes.

Insein
01-20-2007, 11:17 PM
I don't care. My landlord pays the water bill but the water out of the tap is funky due to im sure the municipality and the old pipes in the building. I'm willing to pay to not have that funky taste as apparently many millions of others are since the market is there. Filtering is the same thing. Put a filter on your tap water and filling bottles. Your still paying extra to not have the funky taste.

MtnBiker
01-20-2007, 11:32 PM

Yes.

Really, so we(the USA)do not have domain over our own natural resources?

Perhaps we should remove soda and beer from our choices of consumer goods as well. Those are not necessary to survive and use alot of water that is bottled.

Mr. P
01-21-2007, 12:31 AM
I don't care. My landlord pays the water bill but the water out of the tap is funky due to im sure the municipality and the old pipes in the building. I'm willing to pay to not have that funky taste as apparently many millions of others are since the market is there. Filtering is the same thing. Put a filter on your tap water and filling bottles. Your still paying extra to not have the funky taste.

The worst water I’ve ever had in the whole Country was and is in Savannah Ga..GOD awful!

Insein
01-21-2007, 02:23 AM
Plus have you ever gone to Europe or MExico? There is a reason bottled water sells.

01-21-2007, 07:05 AM

how the heck did you answer him before he posted his question???

01-21-2007, 07:06 AM
Agreed.

But read this;

http://www.commondreams.org/views05/1012-30.htm

See, water is being sold for a profit and will increasily be demonized for doing so.

That is so wrong. the person who decided to sell water is a freakin genius. He should be awarded with much money and women.

01-21-2007, 07:07 AM

I wouldnt pay for it either, but I still think its an ingenius idea.

CockySOB
01-21-2007, 08:40 AM
Plus have you ever gone to Europe or MExico? There is a reason bottled water sells.

A buddy of mine had to go to Mexico to train the workers at a new plant (basically to train his replacements). While down there he noticed something funny. Tourists and temps would arrive in Mexico and drink bottled water. A common sight would be to see these people order their bottled water and a glass of ice.... See the punch line yet? The ice was generated direct from the tap. LOL!

MtnBiker
01-21-2007, 11:42 AM

The ability to see into the future, if only a for few seconds. :D

dirt mcgirt
01-21-2007, 12:39 PM
I'm currently working on getting a patent for clean air so I can sell it to the public. You guys don't even know that you're talking with America's next billionaire.

MtnBiker
01-21-2007, 01:02 PM
I'm currently working on getting a patent for clean air so I can sell it to the public. You guys don't even know that you're talking with America's next billionaire.

You are too late.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen_bar

manu1959
01-21-2007, 01:30 PM
Ok, it seems no one in the tread so far is opposed to the idea of bottled water being on the open market. Some may question it's need, that is understandable.

However for the opponents that are out there, what is their motivation?

the people that oppose say that it takes more water to make the plastic bottle than the water that is in it and plastic is not biodegradable.......

MtnBiker
01-21-2007, 01:31 PM
the people that oppose say that it takes more water to make the plastic bottle than the water that is in it and plastic is not biodegradable.......

Do they also oppose other bottled beverages?

manu1959
01-21-2007, 01:37 PM

oxygen bars already exit in san francisco LA and new york...

manu1959
01-21-2007, 01:39 PM
Do they also oppose other bottled beverages?

we are talking California here.... they oppose everything except; redistribution of wealth, killing the unborn and letting killers live

MtnBiker
01-21-2007, 01:41 PM
we are talking California here.... they oppose everything except; redistribution of wealth, killing the unborn and killing killers

Commies!

Pale Rider
01-21-2007, 01:46 PM

I noticed that myself. Somehow those two posts mispositioned themselves.

Gunny
01-21-2007, 01:49 PM
The worst water I’ve ever had in the whole Country was and is in Savannah Ga..GOD awful!

Slidell, LA. Sulpher water. Smells like rotten eggs.:)

Pale Rider
01-21-2007, 01:53 PM
The thing with bottled water to me is all about taste. I don't think it's any better, or worse, for that matter for me than tap water. But have you ever tasted high desert tap water? Tastes horrible.

I have been meaning to buy a filter though, because even though I buy bottled water, I've drank home filtered water as well. My parents had a reverse osmossis water filtering system in their home in Phoenix, and their water tasted great.

Should we pay for bottled water? Well, I'll sell you a sack of horse pud if you'll pay for it.

Mr. P
01-21-2007, 01:55 PM
Slidell, LA. Sulpher water. Smells like rotten eggs.:)

Same for Savannah, tastes the same as it smells too.

MtnBiker
01-21-2007, 01:58 PM
Should we pay for bottled water? Well, I'll sell you a sack of horse pud if you'll pay for it.

Market it as a Boutique Organic Manure, someone will be willing to pay a good price for it. :2up:

MtnBiker
01-24-2007, 06:42 PM
Bottled water profiteers - price gougers!! :D

-Cp
01-24-2007, 06:45 PM

Assuming your fridge has a filter on it - you DO pay for water...

The freakin' water filter for our fridge is $40 at Home Depot!

MtnBiker
04-14-2007, 09:52 PM
bump

shattered
04-14-2007, 09:57 PM
Why are we bumping? I'm one of those people that pays for bottled water.. I drink so much of it that I have a 24pk in my trunk at all times, and another in my kitchen.

MtnBiker
04-14-2007, 09:58 PM
Why are we bumping?

We have had several new members join, and I was curious what some of them might think about bottled water as a commodity.

shattered
04-14-2007, 09:59 PM
We have had several new members join, and I was curious what some of them might think about bottled water as a commodity.

Commodity? It's a freakin necessity. :D

MtnBiker
04-14-2007, 10:02 PM
Commodity? It's a freakin necessity. :D

So is food.

shattered
04-14-2007, 10:03 PM
So is food.

At least you agree.

Gaffer
04-14-2007, 10:30 PM
You want bottled water. save the bottles and refill them from the kitchen tap. Same water.

shattered
04-14-2007, 10:33 PM
You want bottled water. save the bottles and refill them from the kitchen tap. Same water.

Not even remotely *close*. Especially if you life in some little podunk town that has well water. Constantly buying filters will cause you to go bankrupt, and even then the water still tastes like crap.

Go to the store, get a bottle of Fiji water, then go home and get a glass of tap water. Drink the Fiji, then drink the tap water, and tell me you can't taste a major difference.

Mr. P
04-14-2007, 11:02 PM

:2up:

shattered
04-14-2007, 11:04 PM
:2up:

:slap: Don't thumbs up him until you've tried the Fiji. Don't go into sticker shock when you see the price, but I can guarantee you there is no better tasting water on the planet.