PDA

View Full Version : House passes bill to limit NLRB authority to control plant opening/closing

Little-Acorn
09-15-2011, 01:27 PM
This stems from the Natl Labor Relations Board order forbidding Boeing from opening a new plant in South Carolina to produce airliners, an order they gave to favor unions.

The notion that an unelected board can tell a private company where it can and cannot open plants, is grotesque, of course, in any country other than the Soviet Union.

In past generations, unions did great work, resisting unscrupulous owners etc. and fighting for decent working conditions and workers' "rights". And they accomplished their goals. After they did all the fighting, bleeding, and dying, Congress then made laws mandating what the unions had achieved. Probably have to wonder how the unions felt about that - would have been nice if Congress had simply done that a few years earlier, BEFORE the unions had to rip their guts out, and save everybody a lot of trouble.

But now, unions have outgrown their usefulness. Unfortunately, they have turned to bleeding their companies, forcing outrageous wage scales, vacation schedules, retirement plans, etc., far beyond any reasonable and decent arrangements; and have been forcing comanies to cave to them or die. An example is the protests against Boeing opening this new plant in a state where union membership is NOT mandatory. The worthwhile things unions fought for so long ago, are still in place, and codified in Federal law, whether the plant is in (union) Washingtons State or (non-union) South Carolina. Forcing union membership now, is merely a way of forcing company-strangling perks and huge benefits rather than decent working conditions and wages (which the workers will get anyway).

Since unions are insisting on these things, and trying to use force of law to get them, it is time for those unions to have the force of law taken away. The good things they fought for will remain, of course (something the unions will try not to admit). The bill passed today by the House is the first example of trimming the power the unions have been abuseing.

Naturally, it will never get through the Democrats in the Senate who absolutely depend on union money and thuggery for their seats, at least until most of those Democrats are kicked out in the next two elections. But it's a good start, for now.

--------------------------------------------

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/09/15/boeing-labor-bill-set-to-pass-house-but-serves-political-divide-more-than/

House Passes Bill to Limit Labor Relations Board Authority

Published September 15, 2011
Associated Press

The House of Representatives has passed a bill that would undermine the government's case accusing Boeing Co. of retaliating against union workers.

The measure, approved on a 238-186 vote, would limit the National Labor Relations Board's enforcement power by prohibiting the agency from ordering any employer to shut down plants or relocate work, even after a company had violated labor laws.

Republicans and their allies in the business community have criticized the National Labor Relations Board for more than a year as the agency issued a spate of union-friendly decisions and rules.

J.T
09-15-2011, 05:30 PM
Wait, how did the NLRB have the authority to block the opening of the plant in the first place? Wat law did they cite as giving them that power? What, exactly, did they have the power to do to prevent Boeing from opening the plant?

Poke
09-15-2011, 06:01 PM
I have been watching this Boeing case closely.
I find it very interesting that an American company trying to open up an American location is being fought by the NLRB and unions. If the union was pro-America, they'd be happy the plant wasn't opening in a foreign country. Truth be told, Boeing could have opened the plant in Mexico (or some other country) and the NLRB and unions couldn't have done squat about it. Boeing chose to open the plant in the USA and they have to deal with the NLRB (and unions) trying to screw them over for it.
Only a fool doesn't understand why some companies choose foreign countries to open their next plant.

fj1200
09-15-2011, 06:47 PM
Wait, how did the NLRB have the authority to block the opening of the plant in the first place? Wat law did they cite as giving them that power? What, exactly, did they have the power to do to prevent Boeing from opening the plant?

It's a contract claim between the union and Boeing which the NLRB has some purview over iirc.

J.T
09-15-2011, 06:53 PM
It's a contract claim between the union and Boeing which the NLRB has some purview over iirc.

So it's the union that actually said no?

Why doesn't Boeing just set up all its factories in states that don't allow closed shops and then hire people who want the job? The union already exists and is more than welcome to pitch itself at the new employees.

How the hell they get Boeing to sign any contract that allows them to say they can't open a factory in a given state?

Seriously, wtf?

fj1200
09-15-2011, 06:58 PM
Boeing opened the plant, the union said that they couldn't per the contract, Boeing said F U, the union complained to the NLRB, the NLRB sided with the union, lawsuits abound. The devil is in the details and the whole thing is BS IMHO.

J.T
09-15-2011, 07:05 PM
Boeing opened the plant, the union said that they couldn't per the contract, Boeing said F U, the union complained to the NLRB, the NLRB sided with the union, lawsuits abound. The devil is in the details and the whole thing is BS IMHO.
I repeat: what the fuck?!

Why would Boeing ever agree to such a clause in any contract? That's just stupid.

Poke
09-15-2011, 07:38 PM

There in lies part of the problem.
Why does NLRB have prevue? Do companies and people not have free will? It's not like Boeing was infringing upon the rights of others.

fj1200
09-15-2011, 10:04 PM

Why would Boeing ever agree to such a clause in any contract? That's just stupid.

Boeing contends they didn't; hence the suit.

There in lies part of the problem.
Why does NLRB have prevue? Do companies and people not have free will? It's not like Boeing was infringing upon the rights of others.

Because unions and labor have something in common? :rolleyes:

Seriously, do some research people.

One side:

The NLRB said its investigation found that the company violated two sections of the National Labor Relations Act in 2009 when it picked Charleston International Airport as the site of its second 787 assembly plant, rather than expanding its existing factory in Everett.Specifically, Boeing officials made "coercive statements" to its unionized employees starting in 2009 that the company would shift or had shifted production work away from the Puget Sound area because of labor walkouts, the agency said.
According to the lawsuit, Boeing acted out of "a desire to retaliate for past strikes and chill future strike activity."
"A worker's right to strike is a fundamental right guaranteed by the National Labor Relations Act," NLRB acting general counsel Lafe Solomon said in statement Wednesday. Solomon said he is still encouraging the union and Boeing to settle their differences out of court.
The other side:

Boeing said it had met with the IAMAW about building the second 787 line in Everett, but the two sides were unable to come to terms. It also said it is allowed under its union contract to add U.S. production capacity outside of Washington state.
http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2011/apr/22/lawsuit-sc-vs-big-labor/

J.T
09-15-2011, 10:07 PM
Boeing contends they didn't; hence the suit.

How complicated can it be?

Boeing: We're opening a new plant
Union/NRB: You can't do that
Boeing: Show us where it says we can't

Seriously, do some research people.

Why should we when we can get you to do it for us? :p

fj1200
09-15-2011, 10:14 PM
How complicated can it be?

Check the edit.

Why should we when we can get you to do it for us? :p

I've been learnin' you all day, why should now be diff'rent. :poke:

SassyLady
09-15-2011, 10:27 PM

Coersion? Unions are pretty good at getting what they want.

SassyLady
09-15-2011, 10:30 PM
"A worker's right to strike is a fundamental right guaranteed by the National Labor Relations Act," NLRB acting general counsel Lafe Solomon said in statement Wednesday. Solomon said he is still encouraging the union and Boeing to settle their differences out of court.

How is building a plant in another state taking about the current union's right to strike?

fj1200
09-15-2011, 10:42 PM
I suppose because they could easily move production to the non-union state.

SassyLady
09-15-2011, 10:43 PM
I suppose because they could easily move production to the non-union state.

And how would that infringe upon their right to strike? Still not getting it.

fj1200
09-15-2011, 10:44 PM
And how would that infringe upon their right to strike? Still not getting it.

:dunno:

J.T
09-15-2011, 11:08 PM
The NLRB said its investigation found that the company violated two sections of the National Labor Relations Act in 2009 when it picked Charleston International Airport as the site of its second 787 assembly plant, rather than expanding its existing factory in Everett.Specifically, Boeing officials made "coercive statements" to its unionized employees starting in 2009 that the company would shift or had shifted production work away from the Puget Sound area because of labor walkouts, the agency said.

Wait it's against the law to say 'We're losing money here. If this continues, we're looking for someplace else to do business'? WTF? The leverage the union has is refusing to work (and recruiting others to do the same through the unions). The leverage the company has is looking elsewhere. This is the foundation for any negotiation. How can it be illegal to say 'if we don't make money here, we're leaving and going elsewhere'?

There's actually a law on the books somewhere about that?

I've been learnin' you all day

Maybe in your head. Only thing about this thread is I haven't checked my RSS feeds in 2 days. I'm sure WSWS has a few articles on this by now, but I don't feel like checking.