PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin teachers retire in droves

red states rule
09-18-2011, 07:25 AM
Perhaps now the dead wood will get tossed out and new teachers who care about the kids will be employed

snip

Across Wisconsin this year, teachers have opted to retire at higher rates than usual, partly in response to the new law. Under the law, teachers have to contribute a considerable chunk of their salaries to health and retirement plans, and districts can decide to lengthen the school day or year without increasing salaries.

For supporters of the legislation, it grants more flexibility to districts to prevent costs from careening out of control. Some districts have already started saving money, according to Governor Walker's office.

Moreover, the instruction at some schools may benefit from a changing of the guard, education experts say.

"To the degree this is a shift in the composition of who's in the system ... it is going to align the system more with the direction of current education reform, which I would say is good," says Allan Odden (http://www.debatepolicy.com/tags/topic/Allan+Odden), a professor of educational leadership and policy analysis at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

But for opponents of the law, it unfairly cuts take-home pay, batters morale, and deprives schools of droves of veteran teachers who are retiring early. "The loss of experience and the loss of qualified mentors [for new teachers] outweighs any financial gain to the districts," says Betsy Kippers (http://www.debatepolicy.com/tags/topic/Betsy+Kippers), a teacher in Racine (http://www.debatepolicy.com/tags/topic/Racine) and vice president of the Wisconsin Education Association Council (http://www.debatepolicy.com/tags/topic/Wisconsin+Education+Association+Council), a 98,000-member union.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Education/2011/0916/Wisconsin-teachers-retire-in-droves-after-union-loss-in-bargaining-fight

J.T
09-18-2011, 11:58 AM
An opportunity to negotiate some new, more sustainable contracts, perhaps?

ConHog
09-18-2011, 12:30 PM
Good, I hope they break the union's back.

DragonStryk72
09-18-2011, 12:42 PM
Perhaps now the dead wood will get tossed out and new teachers who care about the kids will be employed

The problem is, sadly, a number of them are likely pretty good teachers who've gotten sick of all the stupid bullshit that is infecting our schools these days.

red states rule
09-19-2011, 02:19 AM
The problem is, sadly, a number of them are likely pretty good teachers who've gotten sick of all the stupid bullshit that is infecting our schools these days.

You mean like having to contribute to their own health plan, and retirement fund?

red states rule
09-19-2011, 02:39 AM
Good, I hope they break the union's back.

Here wew have another example of the civility and maturity of the left

<IFRAME height=315 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5f6PYB1l_Lo" frameBorder=0 width=560 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

Psychoblues
09-21-2011, 04:50 PM
In 1976 International Harvester implemented very harsh retirement plan changes and workplace rules. All completely OK'ed by the unions. Then eligible employees were offered opportunities for retirmement. Thousands took IH up on the offers. Why not? It was a private conversation. Lyle Lovette. I can't help it if you can't dig it.

Psychoblues

DragonStryk72
09-21-2011, 05:29 PM
You mean like having to contribute to their own health plan, and retirement fund?

Like having whole new series of standardized tests take over their entire lesson plans, and have to buy their own classroom supplies. Not every single teacher is happy with the teachers' union, RSR. You treat too many people like they are all in lock step. There are some really great teachers out there who were fine with not making all that much, but their voices get drowned out by the union reps, and the shitty teachers who just want "to get theirs".

09-21-2011, 06:08 PM
Goes to show that a majority were in it for the money and not the children.

red states rule
09-22-2011, 02:32 AM
Like having whole new series of standardized tests take over their entire lesson plans, and have to buy their own classroom supplies. Not every single teacher is happy with the teachers' union, RSR. You treat too many people like they are all in lock step. There are some really great teachers out there who were fine with not making all that much, but their voices get drowned out by the union reps, and the shitty teachers who just want "to get theirs".

Where did I say ALL teachers DS? The liberal media gave the union thugs glowing coverage even when the union teachers were caught on camera gettting fake doctor notes to be excused from work while attending a union rally

I am sure there are many teachers who would like NOT to be a union member

Now that the WI is balanced without tax increases on the already overtaxed citizens, some are having a temper tantrum and leaving

Which is a good thing

DragonStryk72
09-22-2011, 01:13 PM

right here is where you did it. This was specifically in address to my own post about how at least some of these teachers retiring are good teachers who've simply gotten sick of the bullshit going on in our schools.

Where did I say ALL teachers DS? The liberal media gave the union thugs glowing coverage even when the union teachers were caught on camera gettting fake doctor notes to be excused from work while attending a union rally

I am sure there are many teachers who would like NOT to be a union member

Now that the WI is balanced without tax increases on the already overtaxed citizens, some are having a temper tantrum and leaving

Which is a good thing

It's not just union membership, though. They have to get permission from parents these days to so much as administer sunblock, or give a kid an aspirin, and aren't even allowed to hug a crying child. They have to teach tests instead of actual lessons, because the federal government in DC has decided it better knows how to teach to kids of Seattle, Washington, than the teachers that live and teach there. They end up paying out of pocket for many supplies for their own classes (at least the good ones do. I assume the shit teachers don't really go out of their way on this point), and many times nowadays are unable to enforce discipline because the parents of the unruly child go off at the teacher for punishing their "precious little angel".