PDA

View Full Version : Left Says To Reduce Unemployment We Need To Sue Employers Who Don't Hire

red states rule
09-24-2011, 03:02 AM
How the hell do libs think this will put people back to work? Employers will simply stop hiring all together

Lawyers should be allowed to win financial damages from companies that refuse to hire unemployed people, according to a coalition of Democratic legislators, progressive advocates and entrepreneurial trial lawyers.

The existence of even a few advertisements excluding unemployed applicants in the national marketplace justifies a federal law creating a novel (http://dailycaller.com/2011/09/23/lawyers-eye-jobless-as-clients/#) market for legal skills, say the advocates.
“We don’t know for sure how extensive it is … [but] if it is on one [job advertisement] website, that’s too extensive for me,” the bill’s chief backer, Ohio Democratic Sen. Sherrod Brown, told the TheDC.

Brown waved away concerns by business leaders that the law would raise their costs and risks. “I don’t think think its going to mean a lawyers’ employment act,” he said.

The advocates have cited only 150 ads they say were discriminatory, a tiny percentage of all job ads according to Michael Saltsman, a research fellow at the Employment Policies Institute. Companies want to hire the most productive people they can find, he said, adding “this is an attempt to do something to take steps to help the unemployed, but it will be another barrier to people getting jobs.”

Currently, employers are free to hire, or not hire, unemployed people.

http://dailycaller.com/2011/09/23/lawyers-eye-jobless-as-clients/

ConHog
09-24-2011, 12:56 PM
How the hell do libs think this will put people back to work? Employers will simply stop hiring all together

Totally ignores the fact that in MANY cases people who are unemployed are that way for a reason, that reason being that they simply aren't good employees and so no one wants to hire them. Not the case in EVERY situation of course, but in many ? Yes.

Kathianne
09-24-2011, 02:08 PM
Totally ignores the fact that in MANY cases people who are unemployed are that way for a reason, that reason being that they simply aren't good employees and so no one wants to hire them. Not the case in EVERY situation of course, but in many ? Yes.

That might have been true when unemployment was at 5%, but not anymore. Not even close.

ConHog
09-24-2011, 02:10 PM
That might have been true when unemployment was at 5%, but not anymore. Not even close.

I suspect you're probably right. Can we say that in MOST cases a company has valid reasons for preferring to hire a person who is currently employed over one who is unemployed though?

Kathianne
09-24-2011, 02:11 PM
I suspect you're probably right. Can we say that in MOST cases a company has valid reasons for preferring to hire a person who is currently employed over one who is unemployed though?

Big duh there. Which is why the number of underemployed is over twice the 9% unemployed.

ConHog
09-24-2011, 02:14 PM
Big duh there. Which is why the number of underemployed is over twice the 9% unemployed.

Well yes, that's what I'm saying, why would the government encourage suing employees who are doing what makes sense?

Kathianne
09-24-2011, 02:16 PM
Well yes, that's what I'm saying, why would the government encourage suing employees who are doing what makes sense?

Because that is what the Federal Government likes to do, take control.

ConHog
09-24-2011, 02:26 PM

This is true.

This is off topic, but have you ever seen V for Vendetta? It was on last night, I hadn't seen it in some time, the parallels were frightening.

Trigg
09-24-2011, 04:50 PM
There are a lot of great people out there who are under-employed or are looking for work.

I just co-interviewed 10 people and found a great person to hire. She was denied when upper management decided to wait and see if we really needed another person.

Of course, they would rather work 3 people into the ground rather than train someone new to help out. We were only looking to hire a PRN, companies are just not hiring right now and if the gov. gets involeved they will tighten their belts even more

Kathianne
09-24-2011, 11:25 PM
This is true.

This is off topic, but have you ever seen V for Vendetta? It was on last night, I hadn't seen it in some time, the parallels were frightening.

I haven't, but I'll look at my library and see if they have the DVD.

ConHog
09-24-2011, 11:28 PM
I haven't, but I'll look at my library and see if they have the DVD.

Very cool movie. Natalie Portman.

Kathianne
09-24-2011, 11:44 PM
There are a lot of great people out there who are under-employed or are looking for work.

I just co-interviewed 10 people and found a great person to hire. She was denied when upper management decided to wait and see if we really needed another person.

Of course, they would rather work 3 people into the ground rather than train someone new to help out. We were only looking to hire a PRN, companies are just not hiring right now and if the gov. gets involeved they will tighten their belts even more

Indeed. I've paid a stiff price for substituting, it ended my unemployment benefits after only 4 months. Once I began subbing, no more unemployment for 'no work' during extended holidays or breaks, including summer. Subbing is a day-to-day hire, no benefits. If there are no openings, no work, no pay. Yet, unlike a laborer, teaching is excluded from the remedy of day-to-day work. This Monday is an institute day, no work.

So, I took the one part-time job I was offered, after applying for more than 100. Good thing is the discount, which includes food. Bad thing is, pays minimum wage. More good news, on applications I'm not unemployed. Bad news is, there were months over the summer that I made less than $480. Try to pay utilities on that, forget the mortgage.

red states rule
09-26-2011, 02:33 AM

and create a new class of "victims"

Gunny
09-28-2011, 07:59 PM

Brilliant strategy.:laugh2:

Psychoblues
09-29-2011, 01:52 AM
Ha, ha, ha and ha. I hope hatefulness and ignorance isn't contagious. You bitches would spread it like syphilis in New Jersey.

Psychoblues

red states rule
09-29-2011, 03:35 AM
Ha, ha, ha and ha. I hope hatefulness and ignorance isn't contagious. You bitches would spread it like syphilis in New Jersey.

Psychoblues

What are you whining about? We are talkiing about the Feds allowing unemployed people to sue employers for not hiring them

Not drunks

Gunny
09-29-2011, 08:30 AM

Psychoblues

I've got it now. You got jealous because others were assuming your position as lead troll ...

Still can't address an actual topic, huh?

ConHog
09-29-2011, 08:46 AM

Psychoblues

And if stupidity were a disease you'd the the Typhoid Mary of our time.

Psychoblues
09-29-2011, 09:07 AM
Exactly what I expected. You bitches crack me up but none of you are ready for stage work, yet. But, I do see some potential in one or two of you. Contact me and I may be able to get you hooked up with the correct people to advance your careers. Ha, ha, ha and ha.

Psychoblues

red states rule
10-03-2011, 03:02 AM
Exactly what I expected. You bitches crack me up but none of you are ready for stage work, yet. But, I do see some potential in one or two of you. Contact me and I may be able to get you hooked up with the correct people to advance your careers. Ha, ha, ha and ha.

Psychoblues

What bar can we reach you at?