PDA

View Full Version : 91-year old man - beaten - by standers do NOTHING!

-Cp
05-14-2007, 11:36 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,272081,00.html

A 91-year-old World War II veteran was repeatedly beaten in the head by a carjacker in Detroit as a group of people stood by watching.

The beating was caught on surveillance tape outside a Detroit party store. Soon after the tape was released, a 22-year-old man was arrested in connection with the beating. Local news reports say a second man and a woman who accompanied the suspected assailant were also arrested.

The victim, Leonard Sims, is bruised but says he's doing better every day. He was punched in the head 21 times, and was caught between his car door and the car next to his during the attack so he could not escape.

Sims told a local news report that the incident began when his assailant asked for a light.

"He kind of caught me off guard because when he came up and asked for a light, he punched me," Sims said.

"It's very hard to believe because my husband is a very kind person," said his wife, Nora.

A local police chief said the crime is "one of the most heinous" she's seen in years and is upset the bystanders did nothing.

Hobbit
05-14-2007, 12:20 PM
We've turned a country full of ass-kickers, like this vet, into a country full of wusses who think the only people allowed to defend anybody are the Police, and they're not allowed to defend anybody against minorities.

Hagbard Celine
05-14-2007, 12:31 PM
We've turned a country full of ass-kickers, like this vet, into a country full of wusses who think the only people allowed to defend anybody are the Police, and they're not allowed to defend anybody against minorities.

I'm glad you could find a conservative ideological triumph in this man's tragedy. Kudos.

Pale Rider
05-14-2007, 12:42 PM
Just saw the video of this poor old guy getting beat. He was caught between his car door and the vehicle behind him, and he couldn't get away. So the steaming pile of dog shit slime just stood there hitting him, over and over. I'd have shot that mother fucker dead'rn a door nail in a heart beat if I'd have witnessed that.

I'd be on the news as the next guy going bezerk in court jumping rails to kick the living shit out of that low life gutter ball had he done that to my dad.

Disturbing.... makes my blood boil.

Hagbard Celine
05-14-2007, 12:50 PM
Just saw the video of this poor old guy getting beat. He was caught between his car door and the vehicle behind him, and he couldn't get away. So the steaming pile of dog shit slime just stood there hitting him, over and over. I'd have shot that mother fucker dead'rn a door nail in a heart beat if I'd have witnessed that.

I'd be on the news as the next guy going bezerk in court jumping rails to kick the living shit out of that low life gutter ball had he done that to my dad.

Disturbing.... makes my blood boil.

How do people completely shed their consciences to do things like this? How do they convince themselves that something like that won't come back to haunt them? I'm telling you, criminals are f*cking stupid. This guy deserves to have the book thrown at him.

darin
05-14-2007, 12:56 PM
I'm glad you could find a conservative ideological triumph in this man's tragedy. Kudos.

Again w/ the :tinfoil: (but with pointy top). Hobbit made a true statement; you brought it to ideological avenues.

(shrug)

Hobbit
05-14-2007, 01:17 PM

I'm not trying to make a point, I'm just pissed off at the bystanders. Back when that vet was in his 20s, anybody caught beating a 91-year-old man, especially a vet, would be dead before the cops could touch him. Now, he gets to beat at his leasure, and nobody lifts a finger.

Yurt
05-14-2007, 01:20 PM
Don't blame the thug, blame society.

Pale Rider
05-14-2007, 01:23 PM
I'm not trying to make a point, I'm just pissed off at the bystanders. Back when that vet was in his 20s, anybody caught beating a 91-year-old man, especially a vet, would be dead before the cops could touch him. Now, he gets to beat at his leasure, and nobody lifts a finger.

Problem is the bystanders were gutter trash just like the perp. They didn't care. That's their world, where it's ok to beat the shit out of an old helpless 91 year old vet and then steal his car. I say throw them all in jail and throw away the key. Human garbage.

Pale Rider
05-14-2007, 01:24 PM
Don't blame the thug, blame society.

Yeah... like the V.T. shooter right?

I don't know Yurt... I think you're going to get torn up for that statement... :slap:

nevadamedic
05-14-2007, 01:32 PM
The bystanders should have been charged with aiding a crime. It is our duty as an American when we see something like that go on and we have the ability to help or fix it we are to do so. Imagine if I took that attitude. When I lived in Southern Nevada I used to commute home on the most dangerous highway in Nevada and regularly saw or drove by accidents. With my Emergency Medical Training, imagine if I didn't stop to render aid every time until the Fire Department showed up, I know of atleast one person who would have died. What happened to compassion for your fellow man? That is why I became a medic in the first place.

Hagbard Celine
05-14-2007, 01:49 PM

You're right. There's definately a lack of balls in this country.

Pale Rider
05-14-2007, 02:47 PM
You're right. There's definately a lack of balls in this country.

Oh if it was one of their own they'd have probably helped. But an old man, phhtt... who cares about an old man. Ain't their problem.

I agree medic. They ought to charge the scum that just stood there and watched. But they won't. Technically they didn't commit any crime.

Hagbard Celine
05-14-2007, 02:49 PM
Oh if it was one of their own they'd have probably helped. But an old man, phhtt... who cares about an old man. Ain't their problem.

I agree medic. They ought to charge the scum that just stood there and watched. But they won't. Technically they didn't commit any crime.

I think some states have a "good semaritan" law don't they? Isn't that what Jerry, George, Elaine and Kramer went to jail for in the series finale?

Trigg
05-14-2007, 03:14 PM
I think some states have a "good semaritan" law don't they? Isn't that what Jerry, George, Elaine and Kramer went to jail for in the series finale?

Honestly who cares if there is a good semaritan law in that state. I know for certain my husband would never stand by and watch a 91 year old man get punched like that.

CockySOB
05-14-2007, 04:01 PM
Problem is the bystanders were gutter trash just like the perp. They didn't care. That's their world, where it's ok to beat the shit out of an old helpless 91 year old vet and then steal his car. I say throw them all in jail and throw away the key. Human garbage.

I agree wholeheartedly. Yeah, the piece of shit who beat on the old man is a despicable coward who deserves to be gut shot and staked out in the hot sun. But the cowards who stood around and watched it deserve as bad or worse.

The concept of doing the right thing has been replaced by doing what is personally expedient. Shameful!

Abbey Marie
05-14-2007, 04:12 PM
I just discussed this concept with our daughter last night. She was writing about the book, A Boy Called It, for school. The little boy's mom, who decided to call him "It" instead of his name, tortured and abused him daily in extreme ways for years, while the father stood by and did nothing. Somehow when you read it, you end up being more mad at the father than the mother, for allowing it to go on.

glockmail
05-14-2007, 04:14 PM
You're right. There's definately a lack of balls in this country. The femanization of America. :pee:

glockmail
05-14-2007, 04:16 PM
Honestly who cares if there is a good semaritan law in that state. I know for certain my husband would never stand by and watch a 91 year old man get punched like that.

A good use of a 40 cailber bullet.

Abbey Marie
05-14-2007, 04:20 PM
As a woman, it's pretty scary to realize that the number of men willing to help you if you are attacked is dwindling. I suppose feminism is partly to blame, but I also blame the general lack of reverence for life, and the rise in selfishness.

Trigg
05-14-2007, 04:39 PM
As a woman, it's pretty scary to realize that the number of men willing to help you if you are attacked is dwindling. I suppose feminism is partly to blame, but I also blame the general lack of reverence for life, and the rise in selfishness.

I think people are just scared of getting hit anymore. I saw a video of a woman bartender getting pumled by a huge guy and nother man just stood there. I mean good lord if nothing else start throwing things at the guy.

Gaffer
05-14-2007, 04:40 PM
I'm 60 years old with a heart condition and I would have been all over that piece of shit hitting that man. And when I was done I would have started on the ones that were standing there watching.

diuretic
05-14-2007, 09:40 PM
I'm not that surprised. Remember the Kitty Genovese murder? There was a lot of work in social psychology circles done after that incident and something called the Bystander Effect was identified. Here's a brief look at it:

http://www.pineforge.com/newman6study/resources/latane1.htm

Others, however, speculated that the failure of people to get involved might be due more to the social influence that bystanders have on each other than to individual callousness.

More at the link.

However it would have been good if someone had only used their mobile/cellphone to call the cops.

nevadamedic
05-14-2007, 10:21 PM

The good samaritin law is something I know well since it protected me if I was off duty and stopped to render assistance at an accident or incident. It only covers the person who renders aid from any liability. It protects the person who helps. It doesn't require anyone to get involved. Now some states have laws where if you see a law enforcement officer in trouble your required to help them, but thats a different subject.

Sitarro
05-14-2007, 10:58 PM
How do people completely shed their consciences to do things like this? How do they convince themselves that something like that won't come back to haunt them? I'm telling you, criminals are f*cking stupid. This guy deserves to have the book thrown at him.

These are the felons that the Dems call their constituents and want to make sure they can vote in jail.....you guys must be very proud. I imagine the ACLU is already working on a case against the older man that forced that underpriveldged young man to scrape his knuckles on his old face. How dare those old people walk around being such perfect victims for these young citizens that would surely be out looking for a job if these people wouldn't be around tempting them. It's an outrage!

nevadamedic
05-14-2007, 11:00 PM

Actually if you yell rape any man will come to your aid, if they are a real man.

nevadamedic
05-14-2007, 11:02 PM

Don worry Abby, if you or any other female was in danger and I was around I would save you guys. There are two crimes I cant stand, crimes against women and cimes against children.

nevadamedic
05-14-2007, 11:03 PM
These are the felons that the Dems call their constituents and want to make sure they can vote in jail.....you guys must be very proud. I imagine the ACLU is already working on a case against the older man that forced that underpriveldged young man to scrape his knuckles on his old face. How dare those old people walk around being such perfect victims for these young citizens that would surely be out looking for a job if these people wouldn't be around tempting them. It's an outrage!

Your awesome :clap:

Abbey Marie
05-14-2007, 11:31 PM
Don worry Abby, if you or any other female was in danger and I was around I would save you guys. There are two crimes I cant stand, crimes against women and cimes against children.

http://www.leadership-tools.com/images/Leadership%20E-Card%20-%20Thank%20You_lrg.jpg

Sitarro
05-15-2007, 01:19 AM
Your awesome :clap:

No, you are..... medics are the best! Thanks for the service that you provide the people that need it most.:clap:

Sitarro
05-15-2007, 01:30 AM

Abbey,
I always make sure I have a 60 degree sand wedge in my truck just for those situations(the sand wedge has a very heavy sole and a short shaft that is capable of breaking bones if needed). I can hit a golf ball with it 80-100 yards, I would definitely tee off on some animal's skull with it if I catch them attacking anyone, escpecially a women, child or senior citizen.... if he wants more, my concealed 9mm should do the trick.:coffee:

Those bystanders have no excuse for not coming to the aid of that man.

Abbey Marie
05-15-2007, 02:02 AM
Abbey,
I always make sure I have a 60 degree sand wedge in my truck just for those situations(the sand wedge has a very heavy sole and a short shaft that is capable of breaking bones if needed). I can hit a golf ball with it 80-100 yards, I would definitely tee off on some animal's skull with it if I catch them attacking anyone, escpecially a women, child or senior citizen.... if he wants more, my concealed 9mm should do the trick.:coffee:

Those bystanders have no excuse for not coming to the aid of that man.

http://www.websmileys.com/sm/love/246.gif
H-berry!