PDA

View Full Version : Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

chloe
09-25-2011, 05:05 PM
BAY MINETTE, Alabama -- Non-violent offenders in Bay Minette now have a choice some would call simple: do time behind bars or work off the sentence in church.

Operation Restore Our Community or "ROC"...begins next week. The city Judge will either let misdemenor offenders work off their sentences in jail and pay a fine or go to church every Sunday for a year.
If offenders elect church, they're allowed to pick the place of worship, but must check in weekly with the pastor and the police department. If the one-year church attendance program is completed successfully, the offender's case will be dismissed.

http://www2.wkrg.com/news/2011/sep/22/serve-time-jailor-church-ar-2450720/

I'm not religious but I'd pick church over jail:laugh2:

ConHog
09-25-2011, 05:10 PM

This just seems weird.

chloe
09-25-2011, 05:11 PM
This just seems weird.

Indeed, but still a church record or jail record.....tough choice:rolleyes:

Gaffer
09-25-2011, 05:38 PM
In the 60's it was one year in jail or join the army. And I personally knew one guy that was given that choice. he wisely chose the army.

J.T
09-25-2011, 07:07 PM
http://www.secularnewsdaily.com/2011/09/22/idaho-inmate-had-to-accept-jail-or-jesus/

ConHog
09-25-2011, 07:14 PM
http://www.secularnewsdaily.com/2011/09/22/idaho-inmate-had-to-accept-jail-or-jesus/

Right on time, the word church or Jesus is mentioned and in pops JT.

fj1200
09-25-2011, 09:59 PM

Did she do the crime?

chloe
09-25-2011, 10:00 PM
Right on time, the word church or Jesus is mentioned and in pops JT.

well they are allowed to pick any church they want, J.T's article is implying they have to pick Jesus.:laugh2:

Kathianne
09-25-2011, 10:08 PM
This just seems weird.

Perhaps. Sociological studies tend to disprove the normative thinking: http://law.jrank.org/pages/1940/Religion-Crime--Hellfire-Delinquency-beyond.html

On the other hand, Gaffer makes a good point on army v jail, many were saved via this alternative.

ConHog
09-25-2011, 10:16 PM
Perhaps. Sociological studies tend to disprove the normative thinking: http://law.jrank.org/pages/1940/Religion-Crime--Hellfire-Delinquency-beyond.html

On the other hand, Gaffer makes a good point on army v jail, many were saved via this alternative.

Oh don't get me wrong, I think church could do some people a lot of good. I just think it's odd that our government could tell someone go to church or jail. Your choice.

And yes there are plenty of stories out there about people who were given a choice between the military and prison. I'm sure some chose prison, but many chose the military. Odd that they still don't do that.

I always thought they should have round up all the gang members in the US and shipped them over to Afghanistan and told them to have it.

J.T
09-26-2011, 12:16 AM
I always thought they should have round up all the gang members in the US and shipped them over to Afghanistan and told them to have it.So you want to give the gangs military training?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUYgrce6wPw

09-26-2011, 12:59 AM
Im all for encouraging lawbreakers to find God, but I dont think you can force someone to go to Church.

Kathianne
09-26-2011, 01:21 AM
Im all for encouraging lawbreakers to find God, but I dont think you can force someone to go to Church.

They have a choice.

ConHog
09-26-2011, 04:43 PM
So you want to give the gangs military training?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUYgrce6wPw

Certainly. The discipline and pride they would learn in training would serve them well and give them a way out of the gangs.

You yourself should join the military. I mean with the repeal of DADT you wouldn't even have to hide who you are. And you could DEFINITELY use the discipline and structure in your life.

chloe
09-26-2011, 06:03 PM
Certainly. The discipline and pride they would learn in training would serve them well and give them a way out of the gangs.

You yourself should join the military. I mean with the repeal of DADT you wouldn't even have to hide who you are. And you could DEFINITELY use the discipline and structure in your life.

If J.T had to choose over Military or Church, i bet he would pick military, so that means to some people church would be worse punishment then jailtime.

ConHog
09-26-2011, 06:36 PM
If J.T had to choose over Military or Church, i bet he would pick military, so that means to some people church would be worse punishment then jailtime.

My bet is JT would try to justify Satan worshiping as a church.

Psychoblues
09-26-2011, 11:39 PM
My bet is JT would try to justify Satan worshiping as a church.

Satan worshipers refer to themselves as a church. For all I have seen in otherwise self named churches I cannot disagree. Spiritual nonsense is what it is.

Psychoblues

ConHog
09-27-2011, 08:10 AM
Satan worshipers refer to themselves as a church. For all I have seen in otherwise self named churches I cannot disagree. Spiritual nonsense is what it is.

Psychoblues

For some reason I'm not all that surprised that you know about Satan worshiping.

logroller
09-27-2011, 02:45 PM
PB-
I'm sure they have qualifications for what is considered "church"-- most likely the conditions of their 501(c)(3) tax status.

Trinity
09-27-2011, 06:50 PM
Wouldn't separation of church and state come into play here? Just saying. : )

Kathianne
09-27-2011, 07:51 PM
Not with choice. Offenders could choose jail or religious organization of their choice. The 'state' isn't picking.

Trinity
09-27-2011, 07:52 PM
Not with choice. Offenders could choose jail or religious organization of their choice. The 'state' isn't picking.

True, but the state is making them pick.

I guess I just see it as a whole new can of worms being opened up....There will be lawsuits pertaining to...... well the court only gave me the option of church or jail and I am not a religious person but I certainly didn't want to go to jail so I feel like I was forced to choose church. Hence lawsuit against the state for forcing religion onto an individual.

Kathianne
09-27-2011, 07:54 PM
True, but the state is making them pick.

No. They could choose to go to prison.

Trinity
09-27-2011, 07:58 PM
No. They could choose to go to prison.

lol I knew you were going to respond before I finished my edit lol ....go back back and re read please.

Kathianne
09-27-2011, 08:10 PM
Give some options that are pro-society, then there is something to discuss.
lol I knew you were going to respond before I finished my edit lol ....go back back and re read please.

Gaffer
09-27-2011, 08:42 PM
Seems to me an atheist has no option.

Kathianne
09-27-2011, 09:14 PM

Would an atheist sin? LOL!

09-27-2011, 09:45 PM

Why not? You dont have to believe in something to go to Church.

logroller
09-27-2011, 10:10 PM
I just got to thinking about the legality of posing a choice of receiving a punishment that would be considered unconstitutional as a sole sentence-- could a court also give a choice between jail time and getting caned?

logroller
09-28-2011, 12:05 AM
could a court also give a choice between jail time and getting caned?

Just reread my post--the first part is jibberish--please ignore it.

ConHog
09-28-2011, 10:59 AM

You might have a point IF there actually were such a thing as separation of church and state in this country.

ConHog
09-28-2011, 11:02 AM
I just got to thinking about the legality of posing a choice of receiving a punishment that would be considered unconstitutional as a sole sentence-- could a court also give a choice between jail time and getting caned?

Talk about being obtuse. No one is suggesting that we physically punish anyone.

logroller
09-28-2011, 01:39 PM
Talk about being obtuse. No one is suggesting that we physically punish anyone.

Funny, I seem to remember reading how people could serve in military instead of jail time- don't they use physical punishment-- running, push-ups etc? You've mentioned many times paddling in schools. Wasn't your posit that it was more effective than suspension?

So allowing one to choose between punishments has other applications-- not that obtuse. Why is it that we just assume taking away someone's money or their freedom equate to justice? Does it reduce recidivism? It certainly costs the taxpayer plenty.

Simple question.-- if given the choice, how many would get whipped instead of serve jail time?

revelarts
09-28-2011, 02:07 PM
I don't see how it's a church state problem.

the alternative prior to this ,I assume, was go to jail or GO TO JAIL. Adding an option is not force. If someone doesn't want that option out they don't have to go. if they refuse to choose they can GO TO JAIL. Community service is another option used in other places. Many times the community services projects are church based even many food banks. So what's the beef?. Here's the thing that's not been mentioned , the reason they are offering them the option to go to church is becuase , in the main, regular church goers are not repeat criminals. Churches systematically encourage high moral standards. And might give a moral footing to some who've lost thier's.
All noble goals that you really don't find taught regularly anywhere else in our culture. You won't get it going to a 3 R rated films a week, or at the ball game every Sunday, or the bar, or the grocer. how many Humanist groups make it a point of each meeting to encourage each other in high moral standards? Most secular groups assume people have some before they join. Most Churches still assume everyone got some morals but we all can do WAY-BUNCH-MORE better. Some folks need to get over their JesusaPhobic GodaPhobic attitude and get real, if you want a generally moral society somebodies got to teach to a standard. no one else is doing it in the west. the athesit and many secularist seem more concerned about tearing down what they consider TO MANY moral laws rather than TEACHING neer do wells or anyone else "THOU SHALL NOT STEAL" etc..

that's all I've got to say about that.

for now.

sundaydriver
09-28-2011, 05:18 PM
Me, I would take a short term in the Couny jail over church attendance.

1) I could use a vacation

2) Can probably learn some interesting stuff

Gunny
09-28-2011, 08:15 PM

I don't see the difference between choosing that or jail or community service. Just serving the community differently. And I'd definitely take church (of MY choice in flavors).

Gunny
09-28-2011, 08:17 PM
I don't see how it's a church state problem.

the alternative prior to this ,I assume, was go to jail or GO TO JAIL. Adding an option is not force. If someone doesn't want that option out they don't have to go. if they refuse to choose they can GO TO JAIL. Community service is another option used in other places. Many times the community services projects are church based even many food banks. So what's the beef?. Here's the thing that's not been mentioned , the reason they are offering them the option to go to church is becuase , in the main, regular church goers are not repeat criminals. Churches systematically encourage high moral standards. And might give a moral footing to some who've lost thier's.
All noble goals that you really don't find taught regularly anywhere else in our culture. You won't get it going to a 3 R rated films a week, or at the ball game every Sunday, or the bar, or the grocer. how many Humanist groups make it a point of each meeting to encourage each other in high moral standards? Most secular groups assume people have some before they join. Most Churches still assume everyone got some morals but we all can do WAY-BUNCH-MORE better. Some folks need to get over their JesusaPhobic GodaPhobic attitude and get real, if you want a generally moral society somebodies got to teach to a standard. no one else is doing it in the west. the athesit and many secularist seem more concerned about tearing down what they consider TO MANY moral laws rather than TEACHING neer do wells or anyone else "THOU SHALL NOT STEAL" etc..

that's all I've got to say about that.

for now.

There really IS the alternative in many places of doing community service. I don't see anything wrong with it. Still a choice. No one has to go to church.

Psychoblues
09-29-2011, 02:09 AM
For some reason I'm not all that surprised that you know about Satan worshiping.

Satan and God worshiping is pretty much the same, isn't it? It's all spiritual and based on the illusion of faith isn't it?

Psychoblues

revelarts
09-30-2011, 06:01 AM
Satan and God worshiping is pretty much the same, isn't it? It's all spiritual and based on the illusion of faith isn't it?

Psychoblues
Yeah Oxygen gas and Hydrogen Cyanide are about the same thing, unseen gases, based on certain molecules combinations right?

darin
09-30-2011, 06:14 AM
I believe it's impossible honest people to really have a problem with the sentencing. The red herrings of 'Church and state!!' is crap; completely fallacious argument.

The judge is doing a good thing. The program is great.

Abbey Marie
09-30-2011, 09:38 AM
I believe it's impossible honest people to really have a problem with the sentencing. The red herrings of 'Church and state!!' is crap; completely fallacious argument.

The judge is doing a good thing. The program is great.

Can I get an "Amen"? :clap:

chloe
09-30-2011, 10:13 AM
vnBAS5iBpLQ

This mornin when I rose yeah I didn't have no doubt....I know the Lord will take care of me...yes he will :salute:

Where's the rev at?