PDA

View Full Version : CNN: Oops! White House fails basic geography test

Little-Acorn
09-27-2011, 02:05 PM
When they can't get the simple, obvious things right, you have to wonder how they will do on the big, complex things... like the economy, foreign relations, taxes, the military etc.

Actually, I suppose we don't have to wonder. We can see. They have been getting the economy etc. wrong for three years now - and the results show it.

--------------------------------------

http://whitehouse.blogs.cnn.com/2011/09/27/oops-white-house-fails-basic-geography-test/

Oops! White House fails basic geography test

Sept. 27, 2011 - 10:49 AM ET

Looks like someone in the White House press office needs to brush up on his or her U.S. geography.

The press office issued credentials to those reporters and photojournalists who are covering the president’s trip this week to Washington state, California, and Colorado. The credential even provides a handy graphic highlighting (in white) which states the president will visit.

The only problem?

Wyoming is highlighted, not Colorado. To be fair, both states are rectangular, nearly identical in size, and stacked next to each other. But we doubt our third grade teachers would buy that!

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2011/images/09/27/t1larg.badge.jpg

revelarts
09-27-2011, 02:30 PM
When they can't get the simple, obvious things right, you have to wonder how they will do on the big, complex things... like the economy, foreign relations, taxes, the military etc.

Actually, I suppose we don't have to wonder. We can see. They have been getting the economy etc. wrong for three years now - and the results show it.

--------------------------------------

http://whitehouse.blogs.cnn.com/2011/09/27/oops-white-house-fails-basic-geography-test/

Oops! White House fails basic geography test

Sept. 27, 2011 - 10:49 AM ET

Looks like someone in the White House press office needs to brush up on his or her U.S. geography.

The press office issued credentials to those reporters and photojournalists who are covering the president’s trip this week to Washington state, California, and Colorado. The credential even provides a handy graphic highlighting (in white) which states the president will visit.

The only problem?

Wyoming is highlighted, not Colorado. To be fair, both states are rectangular, nearly identical in size, and stacked next to each other. But we doubt our third grade teachers would buy that!

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2011/images/09/27/t1larg.badge.jpg
Speaking as a graphic designer. it's probably the designers slip up. BUT the white house staff who proofed it should have caught it as well.

fj1200
09-27-2011, 03:14 PM
AZ and NM aren't in the American West?

logroller
09-27-2011, 03:20 PM
Southwest, perhaps.

ConHog
09-27-2011, 03:38 PM

They are considered southwest, not west.

I don't find this to be a big deal. Just an editing error. I SERIOUSLY doubt, okay I would bet money on it, that most that post here could successfully identify all 50 states on a map, and we got some pretty smart folks + a few liberals posting here.

Little-Acorn
09-27-2011, 03:47 PM

You haven't heard?

They were renamed last week:

Aztlan and East Aztlan.

LuvRPgrl
09-27-2011, 07:40 PM
They are considered southwest, not west.

I don't find this to be a big deal. Just an editing error. I SERIOUSLY doubt, okay I would bet money on it, that most that post here could successfully identify all 50 states on a map, and we got some pretty smart folks + a few liberals posting here.

actually, NM and AZ are definately part of the American west, southwest is a subset of west, not to mention, if wyoming and colo are considered part of the west, az nm certainlly have to be.

The thing is, this had to go thru so many hands before printing and distribution, that its an indictment of not only the white house, but our society at large when not a single so called professional didnt catch this.

I know I could name all the states on a map, its really not that hard, and I think most here could, I can almost do it in my head, try to name all the states while imagining where they are on the map, Ive tried but usually get stumped in the high 40s, never got all 50, thats tough, but just naming a state while looking at a map, everyone I graduated with could do that, easy, even for libs

revelarts
09-29-2011, 07:20 PM
http://www.purposegames.com/game/states-of-the-usa-quiz
Con got a good point.
here's a quick US map quiz.
I missed 4 but technically I should have only missed 2. I clicked to fast on 2 states I KNOW.
And I have to be honest last year my daughter was in 4th grade so I have reviewed this well last year. Before that I would say I got about 75%. I had trouble in the northeast and northern mid west.

ConHog
09-29-2011, 07:36 PM
actually, NM and AZ are definately part of the American west, southwest is a subset of west, not to mention, if wyoming and colo are considered part of the west, az nm certainlly have to be.

The thing is, this had to go thru so many hands before printing and distribution, that its an indictment of not only the white house, but our society at large when not a single so called professional didnt catch this.

I know I could name all the states on a map, its really not that hard, and I think most here could, I can almost do it in my head, try to name all the states while imagining where they are on the map, Ive tried but usually get stumped in the high 40s, never got all 50, thats tough, but just naming a state while looking at a map, everyone I graduated with could do that, easy, even for libs

Bullshit. At the very least the NE states are stumpers.

LuvRPgrl
09-29-2011, 10:06 PM
Bullshit. At the very least the NE states are stumpers.

No, they arent stumpers. But speeling them is another matter. Mass anyone?

For starters, I love just looking at maps. I spend alot of time on mapquest even when I dont have something to look up.
Plus, that conglomorate of tiny states isnt that hard.

Im a huge baseball player and fan. My favorite was Mickey Mantle, so my favorite team is the yankees. That takes care of NY, NJ, and Mass.
Not to mention all the other states that have a pro sport team.
RI is a gimmie, its so small
Maine is simple enough
Vermont and NH I just have to memorize, and Conn is just below Mass, the two with bizarre spelling are right next to each other.
DId I miss any? I think that takes care of it.

NICE LINK REV, THANKS FOR THAT.