PDA

View Full Version : Idea to make driving safer, long-term.

darin
09-29-2011, 05:54 AM
Radical new traffic safety idea: Remove stop lights, turn signals.

While watching traffic this morning, I noticed cars around me reacting to the indicators provided by other vehicles. Without fail, a lead car would tap his brakes (as witnessed by the brighter lights), and set in motion a chain-reaction stop-fest. While the lead vehicle wouldn't stop his car - only slightly slow-down, the subsequent nose-dive of hard-brake-hitters behind the lead would cause the slinky-affect we all can likely recognize.

The aspect of the above scenario capturing my thoughts revolved around 'reactions' to brake lights. If the lead vehicle had no working brake lights, the slinky wouldn't have likely happened. One of two things would have happened - the car immediately behind the lead would have noticed the lead's slight slowing, and adjusted his speed accordingly, OR because the 2nd car had no pavolvian stimulus, would have crashed into the back of the lead.

Based on observation, most drivers respond to cue which aren't important. A car's brake lamps illuminating is NOT important to safety - a car actually slowing or stopping is the most-important part. This is 'proved' by watching people driving behind cars with malfunctioning brake lights - if the lead has his brake lights wired/plugged in incorrectly - causing them to stay bright - folks behind are likely to slow greatly, until realizing the malfunction.

Rather than focusing on brake lights or signals, we must enforce driver's awareness - teach/insist driver's react ONLY to what the cars around them are actually doing.

Ever hear folks complain because a car got in front of them, or turned without using a 'blinker'? And I'm sure we can recall hearing about accidents where the person Causing the wreck used excuses like "I know he was coming towards me, but his blinker was on; he just didn't turn!" of "he was tailgating me, so I slammed on my brakes!! It's HIS fault!" That bitching proves to me folks worry about the wrong stuff while driving.

Let's shut off the brake lights and blinkers - and force folks to react to what's happening around them. To actually (gasp!) PAY ATTENTION to what counts. Initially we'd have a lot more wrecks - survival of the fittest may not be a bad idea.

fj1200
09-29-2011, 06:01 AM
A car's brake lamps illuminating is NOT important to safety - a car actually slowing or stopping is the most-important part.

True, that's why I always try and look ahead of the car in front of me because sometimes lights come on for no apparent reason. But that's an education thing, our driver's intelligence is abysmally low.

Gunny
09-29-2011, 06:25 PM
Radical new traffic safety idea: Remove stop lights, turn signals.

While watching traffic this morning, I noticed cars around me reacting to the indicators provided by other vehicles. Without fail, a lead car would tap his brakes (as witnessed by the brighter lights), and set in motion a chain-reaction stop-fest. While the lead vehicle wouldn't stop his car - only slightly slow-down, the subsequent nose-dive of hard-brake-hitters behind the lead would cause the slinky-affect we all can likely recognize.

The aspect of the above scenario capturing my thoughts revolved around 'reactions' to brake lights. If the lead vehicle had no working brake lights, the slinky wouldn't have likely happened. One of two things would have happened - the car immediately behind the lead would have noticed the lead's slight slowing, and adjusted his speed accordingly, OR because the 2nd car had no pavolvian stimulus, would have crashed into the back of the lead.

Based on observation, most drivers respond to cue which aren't important. A car's brake lamps illuminating is NOT important to safety - a car actually slowing or stopping is the most-important part. This is 'proved' by watching people driving behind cars with malfunctioning brake lights - if the lead has his brake lights wired/plugged in incorrectly - causing them to stay bright - folks behind are likely to slow greatly, until realizing the malfunction.

Rather than focusing on brake lights or signals, we must enforce driver's awareness - teach/insist driver's react ONLY to what the cars around them are actually doing.

Ever hear folks complain because a car got in front of them, or turned without using a 'blinker'? And I'm sure we can recall hearing about accidents where the person Causing the wreck used excuses like "I know he was coming towards me, but his blinker was on; he just didn't turn!" of "he was tailgating me, so I slammed on my brakes!! It's HIS fault!" That bitching proves to me folks worry about the wrong stuff while driving.

Let's shut off the brake lights and blinkers - and force folks to react to what's happening around them. To actually (gasp!) PAY ATTENTION to what counts. Initially we'd have a lot more wrecks - survival of the fittest may not be a bad idea.

I'd like to point out that troops on a hump do the same thing, and there are no turn signals nor traffic lights/signs. The guys in front of the platoon are tooling along while the ones in the center-rear and rear are about sprinting to keep up just from someone stopping and starting up front.