PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh's new Head Honcho...

Insein
01-20-2007, 11:29 PM
Mike Tomlin. Should be a good one, going by Pitts track record with picking coaches.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2732197

Sources: Steelers set to name Vikes' Tomlin as coach
ESPN.com news services

PITTSBURGH -- The Pittsburgh Steelers plan to name Minnesota Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin as their new head coach, ESPN's Chris Mortensen confirmed Saturday night.

Sources told Mortensen that the team would announce Tomlin as coach either Sunday or Monday. Tomlin would become only the third Steelers coach in 38 years, and the first black head coach in their 74-year history.

Tomlin, a former Tampa Bay assistant, has been the coordinator for just one season under Brad Childress in Minnesota. Before that, he was a Buccaneers' secondary coach, a five-year spell that included installation of the teams' trademark "Tampa-2" scheme. He was an assistant coach in the collegiate ranks from 1995 to 2000.

Sports Illustrated's Web site, SI.com, first reported that Pittsburgh had decided on Tomlin earlier Saturday. Steelers owner Dan Rooney told The Associated Press he had no comment. Team president Art Rooney II, leaving the team's practice complex Saturday, said he had nothing to say.

A person with knowledge of the search denied Tomlin has been hired, telling the AP that not only has the job not been offered but there have been no contract negotiations. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the Steelers do not want details of the search made public until they have made their choice.

Tomlin and Grimm, the Steelers' offensive line coach and only remaining in-house candidate, both had their second interviews earlier this week. The Steelers couldn't talk to Rivera again until the Bears are eliminated from the playoffs. Chicago plays New Orleans in the NFC Championship Game on Sunday.

The Steelers' diligence in finding Cowher's successor cost them offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt, a move that leaves Grimm as the possible front-runner.

Whisenhunt, one of the NFL's top offensive coaches, took the Arizona Cardinals' job Sunday rather than waiting to see if he would be promoted by Pittsburgh. He will be officially introduced by the Cardinals at a news conference Tuesday.

While Whisenhunt was widely considered around the NFL to be Cowher's heir apparent, the Steelers gave no such indication after Cowher resigned Jan. 5. Also, they apparently didn't make a counteroffer to persuade Whisenhunt to stay.

Grimm also interviewed with the Cardinals, but unlike Whisenhunt, didn't get a second interview.

Tomlin had an excellent interview with the Steelers and, like Cowher in 1992, is an on-the-rise candidate despite being only 34 and having minimal experience as an NFL coordinator. Tomlin took over the Vikings' defense this season.

Whisenhunt may take quarterbacks coach Mark Whipple with him as offensive coordinator, meaning the two coaches who have closely worked with quarterback Ben Roethlisberger the last three seasons would be gone.

jimnyc
01-22-2007, 04:18 PM
I feel a bit unsure about this one as I just don't know much about this guy. I don't recall the Vikings having a very good defense. Anyone know anything at all about him?

OCA
01-22-2007, 04:31 PM
I feel a bit unsure about this one as I just don't know much about this guy. I don't recall the Vikings having a very good defense. Anyone know anything at all about him?

Steelers aren't addressing the 1 thing they really need, a QB.

jimnyc
01-25-2007, 10:59 AM
Steelers aren't addressing the 1 thing they really need, a QB.

Are you "Insein"? Big Ben is better than that meatball Montana ever was! :eek:

Insein
01-25-2007, 11:23 AM
Which montana? Joe Montana, one of the top 5 QBs of all time or Bill montana the guy who played High School football for the Roanoke Cougars? ;)

jimnyc
01-25-2007, 11:35 AM
Which montana? Joe Montana, one of the top 5 QBs of all time or Bill montana the guy who played High School football for the Roanoke Cougars? ;)

Just trying to get Mikey riled up! He's better than anyone else they ever had, besides Joe (who I thought was classy as hell BTW). And don't say Steve Young, I hate him and think the prick was overrated. I also think he sucks on TV.