PDA

View Full Version : Tears over a hampster

jimnyc
09-29-2011, 06:41 PM
My sons hamster was running around on his wheel and seemed perfectly fine this morning. This evening he was hidden in a corner on the verge of death. I took him out and made him a "bed" but it was obvious he was having labored breathing, his eyes wide open and basically non-functional. I had to prepare my son that he was going to pass.

I know he's basically a mouse/rat, but we all would watch him, and my son cherished the little brown bugger. I couldn't tell if the poor thing was suffering but he was a fighter and kept struggling for about an hour after I found him. He finally stopped just a short while ago. It broke my heart to be with my son for that hour and actually made me tear up. I'll blame it on caring for my son instead of admitting I am a big softy who loves all animals, including hamsters, and was very sad to see "Fred" go.

RIP little buddy.

Gunny
09-29-2011, 06:44 PM
My sons hamster was running around on his wheel and seemed perfectly fine this morning. This evening he was hidden in a corner on the verge of death. I took him out and made him a "bed" but it was obvious he was having labored breathing, his eyes wide open and basically non-functional. I had to prepare my son that he was going to pass.

I know he's basically a mouse/rat, but we all would watch him, and my son cherished the little brown bugger. I couldn't tell if the poor thing was suffering but he was a fighter and kept struggling for about an hour after I found him. He finally stopped just a short while ago. It broke my heart to be with my son for that hour and actually made me tear up. I'll blame it on caring for my son instead of admitting I am a big softy who loves all animals, including hamsters, and was very sad to see "Fred" go.

RIP little buddy.

Sorry to hear that. Rodents are prone to strokes. Just whenever they get the urge.

Kathianne
09-29-2011, 06:59 PM
Alright, gonna pull a jimnyc here, totally inappropriate but related. LOL! Picture this:

1987, Christmas break. Daughter brings home Kindergarten gerbil. No prior waring. New Year's Eve. The youngest, 2 1/2 year old, dumped rubbing alcohol on it, because it 'stinks.' Grab gerbil, douse it under faucet. Poor thing, first poisoned then drowned. Shivered horribly. Wrapped it in towel and held it til it passed. Oh gawd! Daughter freaking out that everyone will hate her cause D killed the mouse. Find a pet store, buy gerbil that's 50% larger, she's the 'heroine' for growing the gerbil!

Yeah, got the youngest in therapy right after New Year, told you all he was a terror.

ConHog
09-29-2011, 08:17 PM

RIP little buddy.

One , of many, advantage of living on a farm. Kids learn early that animals die. Doesn't mean we don't miss them when it does happen. Just that we know it's always gonna happen, and so to do our children.

Nukeman
09-30-2011, 08:44 AM

RIP little buddy.Been there done that. My 3rd child had hamsters. We brought 2 males home and in about 2 weeks we had 9 total. yaa go figure. well we gave 6 of the babies to the pet store and kept one of them so now we have 3 and we kept them seperated untill somehow another one of the "males" became pregnant. this one ate ALL the babies. That was a shock for or than 11 year old. When we actually got to just 2 males they lived together for almost a year and a half. When I came home from work one had literaly chewed the head off the other. we ran a whole gamut of emotions with them. havenet had any for a while now....