PDA

View Full Version : Asylum Seeker Start

chloe
09-30-2011, 02:34 PM
Every person has the right to live free from persecution, or the fear of persecution, based on their race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group, or political opinion. Though every government is obligated to provide this right, many fail. Every year millions of people face persecution for traits they cannot control or exercising their religious or political beliefs. When governments fail to protect these rights, people have the right to move to a country that will protect them. This is the right to asylum. People who seek to exercise this right are called "asylum seekers" or, in some cases, "refugees." In 1951, the formal basis for exercising the right to asylum was established by an interational treaty, the Geneva Convention Relating to the Status of Refugees. Countries signing that Convention have an obligation to provide asylum or refuge to people fleeing persecution.

http://www.asylumlaw.org/asylumseeker/ (http://www.asylumlaw.org/asylumseeker/We)

We are studying illegals in my race & ethnicity class, I was reading about all the issues illegals are up against and the discrimination and racism they feel they face unjustly. I started reading the chapter on asylum and the text book said the United States is one of the most giving countries in that sort of thing. So then I wondered why do illegals feel so persecuted? I mean they stole an identity to live in the country illegally, if they were in danger why not apply for asylum>? It seems to me our country doesn't recognize extreme poverty as a danger but is that racist?

Thunderknuckles
09-30-2011, 04:01 PM
The entire argument is moot. Illegals have no desire to become American citizens. They are here to make money which they send back home to make a better life. They choose to stay here for as long as they like because in their minds they didn't cross the border illegally, the border crossed them.

chloe
09-30-2011, 04:48 PM
The entire argument is moot. Illegals have no desire to become American citizens. They are here to make money which they send back home to make a better life. They choose to stay here for as long as they like because in their minds they didn't cross the border illegally, the border crossed them.

I agree with you Thunder, but why doesn't the rest of the bleeding hearts? I am trying to understand them.....:laugh2:

Thunderknuckles
09-30-2011, 05:09 PM
Because bleeding hearts don't see the world for what it is, they see it for what they want it to be and act accordingly.
In their minds, undocumented workers are dying to become Americans and we are getting in the way of them realizing the American dream with our draconian immigration laws.

chloe
09-30-2011, 05:11 PM
Because bleeding hearts don't see the world for what it is, they see it for what they want it to be and act accordingly.
In their minds, undocumented workers are dying to become Americans and we are getting in the way of them realizing the American dream with our draconian immigration laws.

:laugh2: I mean I have to agree with you, nobody has argued a valid reason for me to see it any other way. :salute: